Isaac
Years ago

Taipans vs Crocs, Dec 12

Snakes are doing pretty well at 9-4 while Townsville's 5-8 could do with a step towards .500. Cairns won 91-82 last they met with 40+ from Loughton and Tragardh combined, but Markovic barely played and Steindl was cold with 1/6 FG.

Taipans are $1.35 favourites, Crocs not fancied much at all at $3.20. Line is tipped at -6.5 for Cairns.

Topic #36074 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Cairns should grab this easily.

Cairns will open a massive lead early, then Townsville will decide to start playing basketball late in the third to trim the margin to around 9 points by the time of the final buzzer.

That seems to be the Crocs' game plan going into road games, anyway.

Reply #506299 | Report this post

Wonders  
Years ago

Not so sure, Mick. Got a bad feeling about this one if I'm a Cairns fan. Blanchfield was unstoppable coming off curls and whatnot last time in Cairns and with Markovic seemingly sorting his shit out, it'll be tight. Reckon Craig will dominate minutes at the three tonight, chiefly for defensive purposes. Cairns by a bucket or two

Reply #506338 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Yeah i think it'll be a close one - but if the Crocs make 27 turnovers again like they did against Melb it'll be a blow out.....

Reply #506358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville won't make the four. Nothing out of everyone apart from conklin and blanchfield

Reply #506414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't just look at the points column. Conklin was terrible tonight. None of the Crocs showed up tonight.

Reply #506415 | Report this post

Wonders  
Years ago

Well Podge, we were right for the first 15 minutes I guess!

Reply #506422 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I thought Conklin played well, though he got a fair bit of assistance from the refs. Gladness turned his ankle or something in the second quarter, they were no chance without him. Weigh was brilliant, deserved more minutes but I guess that's how it goes when your regular sub is the reigning player of the week.

Reply #506425 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

WHY IS STEVE MARKOVIC STILL PLAYING BASKETBALL GAMES?

He is hurt and battling personal issues.

Give the poor bloke some time off.

10 minutes of court time isn't helping anyone.

Reply #506449 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Or 15 mins (just checked box score). Start him or rest him. Pick one.

Reply #506450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crocs were a rabble last night. You know the shit has the fan when vandy takes the 3 shot. Outcoached, out played. I went to the game knowing that's this will be the last time I'll ever see them play in cairns or in the NBL. So sad to see the legend Mike Kelly finish this way after bringing so much joy to swamp people all those years ago.

Reply #506480 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perhaps they should just play Markovic in home games for the moment. Flying around the country can't be great for lower back/hamstrings, he's not playing well on the road and five of their next eight are at home.

Win all of those and they're 10-12 with an outside chance of pinching fourth if Markovic is then able to play the last six games (3H, 3A) at somewhere near 100%.

Reply #506485 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

If half the Cairns team can play so poorly (put their imports in that half) and still win, then all these negative opinions about Townsville might have some basis.

Reply #506518 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Did you watch the game greybuoy or just read the stats? I'd say only Loughton played poorly. Statistically, Wilbekin didn't have a great game but I wouldn't call him a hinderance to the team's performance.

Reply #506549 | Report this post

Wonders  
Years ago

Fearne even said post-game that if Scottie's shot isn't falling then he'll look for other ways to help his team, and that means making a conscious effort on defence, ball movement etc

Reply #506555 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

It's great reading the spread of opinion here.
I would never claim stats tell the full story, and didn't regarding this game.
While they reveal a lot, and lay bare some easily overlooked aspects of a game, they do not describe for example how hard Matt Burston worked, screening, blocking out and getting back up court.
The stats don't discriminate between between an inaccurate shot and a shot that should have never been attempted, and Wilbekin made more than his share of poor shooting decisions.
When you have team-mates standing wondering and the only thing happening is what he is trying to force off the dribble, he's not helping. Pretty hard to justify the bit about ball movement and finding the open man. Good defensive effort but at the end of the game, was he more valuable than Gliddon?
Craig showed none of his electrifying speed, his court vision was weak, his baseline cuts against Townsville's zone were pathetic, and Fearne can be as politic as he likes post-game because he'd already said plenty during it.
Mitch Young was clearly disappointed with himself, Maynard did all he could but he's still B-team, and the stats say Loughten didn't have his best game.
Put that against the consensus in this column that Townsville were poor and...

Reply #506567 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754