Jack Toft
Years ago

R10: Perth v Adelaide

The best game of the round is saved for last. John McRae may describe this as an "8 by 5 game", but we all know Perth are never, ever assisted by the refs.

The Sixers (aka Grallina bravus maximus) head to Perth to take on The Wildcats (aka Felis silvestris floppus). It's the first time Perth fans will see Adelaide this season who will be 100% focussed on getting the win.

The Wildcats are 6 & 1 at home and travelling quite nicely. And why wouldn't they? Beal leading the way with 17 ppg at 43% and 37.5% from the arc makes most of their 3PA. He is closely followed by fellow import Daniels 14.3% at 40%. Surprisingly Daniels leading the rebound count too, something I'm sure would make Matty Knight work just that little bit harder. The PF combo of Redhage and Wagstaff contribute a combined 20 ppg at 44% and 7.7 rpg. Something the Sixers PFs will be aiming quell.

The Sixers will need to work hard and work as a team if they are to get this game. Let's not forget the Sixers spoiled the Opening Day Party when the Wildcats moved to the stadium, so anything is possible. If the Cats have a bogey team at their home stadium, then the Sixers can put their hand up.

The Sixers worked well on Friday night and Trevor G would no doubt have had a look at the game on his VCR. We saw the Motum we were expecting to see and a few other notable Sixers grew a pair and stood up to the plate. BJ played a great second half and him and Peach need to win that PF spot today for the Sixers to have a hope of going 2-0 this round

I haven't seen the betting odds, but I am expecting the Wildcats to be heavily backed to win this game.

Let's Go Sixers!

Topic #36087 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

The other interesting stat is that the team generally plays better if Gibbo has a good game. Let's hope he steps up again today!

Reply #506630 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

8 v 5 in Perth, should be over by half time

Reply #506631 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Perth with ease.

Reply #506636 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is the reason Adelaide were just on a 7 game losing streak the Refs fault ?

Reply #506637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the refs will be too good for the 36ers today. Not really a fair fight with Adelaide having just played Melbourne. You really need to be 100% fresh when you're taking on 8.

Reply #506642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think at the end of the day, making excuses will be the real winner.

Reply #506644 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Perth should win, hers need to get a perfect start of they are a chance. Going down by 8ish early will just cause catchup all game. Will be more competitive than people give the hers credit though.

Reply #506646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hers. Very fitting.

Reply #506647 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

This game is Adelaide's to lose. Coming off a run of 1 in a row, they are in top form and have everything to play for in order to get their season back on track. Suspect the weight of that momentum will be too much for the Wildcats.

However, in the unlikely event of Adelaide losing, it will be justified on the basis of:

- refs being paid to conspire against anyone playing Perth
- Perth not being penalised for blatant flopping
- Redhage and Wagstaff generally
- dirty off the ball stuff - with Perth being the only team to engage in such tactics
- moving screens by Perth happening all game but not being penalised
- Perth travelling and not being penalised for it
- Martin being all over his opponent and not being penalised because he is Martin
- Reshage and Wagstaff again
- etc etc

All of the above are likely to be complemented by comments of "poor quality reffing makes it too painful to watch" etc.

Oh, and Jamar Wilson will also be to blame, not matter how well he plays

Reply #506650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Jamar won't start a brawl after the siren, which should stop Dean Parker publicly blaming the Wildcats for it without even saying what transpired.

Reply #506658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*seeing

Reply #506660 | Report this post

Wildcatcast  
Years ago

I think Perth will have too much at home and win comfortably. Hopefully a more interesting game than against the Hawks last week!

Reply #506661 | Report this post

peterward  
Years ago

In fact today's game has been cancelled.

There is simply no need to play.

NBL has approached Jack Toft for statistical analysis of the season and JT graciously agreed to compile and analyse all game data.

As it was expected, JT's report detailed all Key Performance Indicators to confirm in no uncertain terms that the 36ers are unbackable favourites to win this game.

Even a blind Freddy could see that, when one team (Wildcats) is on a 1-game losing streak and the other team (36ers) is on a 1-game winning run - the result of this game is beyond any doubt.

As it is too late to refund the tickets, it was decided that all 12,000 fans at the Perth Arena will be shown (on big screens above the court) the recording of the memorable 2012 Opening Day win by the 36ers.

We have to applaud this initiative by the NBL and hope that more games will be decided this way.

Reply #506663 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

peterward, the coin the NBL offered was incredible. It was even better than being a union stooge with a government contract with the Gillard government.

Reply #506665 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I forgot about Adelaide's winning streak.
Winning form is good form so Adelaide by a mile.

Reply #506666 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Adelaide do have something special about them, not sure why they are not favourites after their win.

Reply #506669 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Whilst I like to watch a thumping as much as the next fan, and possibly more, I am kinda hoping that the sixers actually stretch the Cats. I'd like to see them graft out a win under constant pressure, hopefully with DD stepping up.

It's easy to roll over a team like The Hawks this year, but against tougher opponents they have been inconsistent with periods where they just fade out.

Reply #506673 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

id hate to back up a win Friday night and play a team either in number 1 or number 2 spot.
I cant see the 36ers winning this one. however I do wonder what had them winning by a solitary 1 point a few years back.

Reply #506677 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Adelaide to go on another 7 game losing streak

Reply #506684 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

adelaide went on a 7 game losing streak because of their own issues. i think every one knows this and no one is really saying otherwise.

its not even a subjective opinion that perth get a good run from the umpires.

it is an accepted fact that they consistently get a good run from the umps. the type of players they have , the way they play , the way the game is reffed in australia all suits them. but there is no doubting that the crowd and atmosphere affects the umpiring calls.

having said that the rub they get from the refs only gives them a bit of a boost.

if any team wants to rock up and play better than perth a few consistent favourable calls in perth's way isnt going to stop the opposition winning.

Reply #506688 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Game is on radio stream on 98.5 fm in Perth.
its 98five sonshine and do the usual listen live

Reply #506689 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Sixers down x 15 at the half. Score 49 to 35.

Reply #506694 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Competitive in spurts few phantom calls, catchup rest of the way. Too predictable for mine. Lucky i was at the Kings game, in Syd, got to see the only value for money the 6ers have gotten out of Brock Motum.

Reply #506695 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

Cats are just a bit better this yr, got perth nz top 2, i love the gold shirts and respect them a bit more so far, helping each outher up and just joey can't shut the f**k up after every play. Ervin i think made me hate them! I do hope to see then in the finals this yr! They have the talent, they just have to click!

Reply #506696 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Starting Bj over Luke or Motum.... face palm!

Reply #506697 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Big quarter from Wilson (14pts)reduces Perth's lead to 7.

Reply #506698 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

66-59 9:27 to go in the 4th

Reply #506699 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

36ers shouldn't be too disappointed; so many errors and simple misses under the basket.
V the cats; you cant give up simple misses..simples

on the upside, a few people earn freq flyer points

Reply #506700 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

Wilson with the inbound pass and couldn't even do the inbound pass. and he's the general? whatever!

Reply #506701 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Matty Knight triple from the corner

*cackling intensifies*

Reply #506702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know if you can pin this one on Wilson.
Good to see him aggressive, but Gibson 2-14 hurts.

Reply #506703 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Fill your boots, U'u, it's your Arena today!

Reply #506704 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

6ers just are not that good. Play well in spurts but have no killer blow in them. Frustrating to watch.

Reply #506705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Yep. Desperately needed Motum to be that star to play off, but he has been far from it. I can still see them making a run to the playoffs but coming up short.

Reply #506706 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Allowing the 2nd lowest scorers in the league 97 points.

Well done fellas.

And that Muo, putting up a three in the last play, the nerve of that man /sarc.

Is Joey going to punch Tatalovich again?

Reply #506707 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Perth win 97-76.

Drake U'u goes off for 20 points, oh man.

We really need to start getting something from Motum. He started off strongly but his role seems to be diminishing by the game.

Joey not a fan?

Reply #506708 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide's first possession defence was pretty good, but Perth just crucified them on the o-boards. Had the 36ers rebounded better and not missed so many gimmes this was a tight game.

Wilson continued his great form, but apart from bursts from Petrie, Schenscher and Anthony there just wasn't enough support.

Reply #506710 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Smashed on the boards, gave up so many wide open shots to Perth, that the Cats missed, but if they had gone down, would've been smacked by 30. The style is not good to watch as a fan. So much can change in the space of one off season. Joey won't be around next season, being exposed at this point without his superior talent on the roster routine. Doesn't look like he is having much fun either.

Reply #506711 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Long term though, Damo simply has to improve his scoring. 0/8 today goes a long way to undoing all his good work on D by simply allowing teams to sag off him too confidently. Redhage is starting to also become a real problem. Was left wide open repeatedly and failed to punish Adelaide for it.

Rebounding was great today though.

Reply #506712 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wow Wilson not 1 assist! Why is Luke not playing more, 8 and 6 in 18 min... under utilised.

Reply #506713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U'u da besss

Reply #506714 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Ahh luurrrve the Drake!!!

Reply #506715 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

I would love to get t.b from the crocs. Would be a great replacement, has to be the last season as a starter for redhage!

Reply #506716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was definitely "five vs eight" out there today as many people predicted. Luckily the Cats were able to overcome the refs favouring Adelaide and pulled away to a large win.

Reply #506718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36er were reeling in the Cats lead and then with around 5 or 6 min left they just went into panic mode for a while trying for quick 3's. No idea why. I was not necessary at all. Cost them the game.

Reply #506719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jess gon be a starter next year.

Reply #506720 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, nobody could complain about "home-court reffing" today.

I like that the sixer pushed them for 2~3 quarters, and that the Cats were still able to put the hammer down in the last, but in the end not a close game.
I don't understand why Adelaide waited until the game was dusted, 2 minutes to go, down by 20 points, and Perth running the development players, BEFORE they finally started to get scrappy?

Great to see another good display from DD, I think the Cats are adjusting to let him play more of the swingman role.

Awesome to see U'U step up and drain those threes, but I'm still not comfortable with him running the point.

Reply #506721 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No disrespect to U'u, but how do you let him go for 20 points?

No way should that happen. If i was a head coach, I would be embarassed that the team let a player like Drake go for 20.

The other key stat was points in the paint..44-16.

Petrie can't defend anymore. 36ers should target Ibekwe very very hard next season!

Reply #506723 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

U'u can score! Never given chance!

Reply #506725 | Report this post

Lo 40  
Years ago

Uu give him court time and he will reward

Reply #506728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Positives. Joey had a nice shirt and tie combo on today.

Negatives. Everything else about the Sixers.

Reply #506731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Motum, was a fan but it is 12 year old ball when you see a player in the key watching the rebound fall without their arms up at least, never mind trying to grab the ball about to fall on their head... Disappointed

Another Wilson success and Sixers fail……

Reply #506732 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Actually there is another positive...

The Sixers took care of the ball, only 6 turnovers and against Perth that is quite a good effort.

Reply #506733 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anonymous..

If not for Wilson, the Sixers would be Spooners.

He brings 100% effort every game and is the only guy who wants to makes thing happen for the team.

Gibbo has lost interest, and no one else seems to be able to carry the ball and make a move on offence.

Be thankful for what you have.

Reply #506735 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He doesn't make things happen for the team, 26 points zero assists later, he makes things happen for himself. IF he wasn't there, those 26 points and the attempts that come with them, would be distributed elsewhere. 6 turnovers and still lose by 21, thats a real worry! Not a positive.

Reply #506736 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

So you'd rather have 15 turnovers and lose by 21 than 6 TO's?

I was trying to find positives in the game, and I think the TO's (where the Sixers were previously quite poor) was a great improvement.

Yes Jamar had no A's but this is rare, so don't make it look like he was hungry for points.

Reply #506739 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

Wilson tries but tries too hard. On several plays, held the ball and then when the shotclock gets down to 2 secs (after rocking forward n back for a good 8-9 seconds) decides to pass or shoot the impossible. maybe a good player, but when injured gibbo showed something.

now we have this "general" and what a crock that is. Its all about me, me and me. Same as Ervin but generally Ervin impressed most.

PC was described as 'as asset' when he arrived and with very limited game time? some asset!

Reply #506742 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Wilson had 26 points and ZERO ASSISTS. A big fat doughnut in assists from your point guard is not a positive, especially as he played over 34 minutes.

Friday night was good from him. He actually passed the ball to team mates and shock horror we had an even spread among the scorers. Today he was back to his normal self.....HE scored while his team mates (and the team) suffered. 100% agree with Kobe24, take away his personal points and they get spread around the team.

Brock Motum......yep. Not even going to bother to go there any more.

Not much else to say. At least we didn't commit as many turnovers. But when you get beaten by that much it doesn't matter how many turnovers there were does it, we still lost.

Reply #506747 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

It surprises me how much Crawford is not utilised. It felt today he would be subbed in and be subbed out within less than two minutes. What a way for a guy to get some confidence.

Adelaide generally played a bit of selfish ball today. Some reckon Gibbo is disinterested, it appears he was interested for until half time, then threw in the towel. Motum a non-factor. I actually liked wilson's game- at least he appears to want to win. Same with Petrie.

It's a shame cos they are a shadow of the team that was in last year's grand final. Good luck to them for the remainder of the season.

Reply #506748 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The way this team is going they're going to need more than luck Perth Fan.

As for Perth, thy just keep on keeping on. Have done since 1987.....

Reply #506749 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wilson really only put the foot down scoring wise once it was clear the rest of the team wasn't able to get the job done offensively.

He was excellent yesterday, and the people quoting zero assists should actually watch the game and count how many easy shots were missed off his passes.

Reply #506759 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hmmm, the 36ers were 7 down at 3 quarter time - still a chance. In the first 5 minutes of the last quarter, Gibson misses 4 shots, Petrie makes 1/2, Anthony 0/1, Motum 0/1. Wilson then takes his first shot for the last quarter and makes it. By this time, the game is all but over, with the 36ers now down 15, with only 5:29 left.

For the rest of the quarter, Wilson makes 1/5, Gibson 0/3, Motum 2/3, Petrie 1/2 and Teys 0/1.

To me, that reads more like paul's assessment than any other. Wilson tries to carry the team over the line after watching everyone else missing their shots for 5 minutes.

Reply #506766 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Paul, great points!

14 of Wilson's points where scored in the 3rd quarter which was the ONLY quarter Adelaide won for the game (24-17). This made the margin only 7 going into the last quarter.

Gibson shoots 2-15 (13%) yet people attack Wilson. 7 of Gibson's points where in the first quarter, 3 points in the remaining 26 minutes of court time.

1 win, 1 loss weekend was a good result for Adelaide.

Reply #506767 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

One positive I saw from Gibson on Friday night is that he drove and scored. In games when he has played great he scores inside first and then gains confidence from it. In the poor games from him he just settles for the 3.

Reply #506768 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide definitely played much better basketball on the weekend (after the weekend before had shown some improvement too), the final score in Perth didn't reflect how competitive the game was.

It's the losses immediately after the Montreal-Motum change that will haunt them later in the season, but they are still only three games off fourth place so there is still an outside chance if they can get their act together.

They must beat Townsville and Cairns at home the next two weeks though or else it's over.

Reply #506769 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Gibson was horrible last night.

It is quite amazing to see the contrast between the NZ performance and last night's performance.

Whether or not its because of Wilson is irrelevant. His performances are simply not good enough for someone who is probably the highest paid 36er and has been a Boomer for the last 5-6 years.

Reply #506772 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rebounding count was miserable for Adelaide.

Reply #506785 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Yes Isaac, I noticed that as well. Perth got 40% of rebounds at their offensive end and Adelaide got 17% at their end. A huge disparity.

Reply #506788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt that statistical anomaly will be in the next "most knowledgeable" analysis on this forum.

Reply #506789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack drop us a line just so we know you are OK!

Reply #506790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes Isaac, I noticed that as well. Perth got 40% of rebounds at their offensive end and Adelaide got 17% at their end. A huge disparity."

:O Wow, 40% is ridiculously bad!!!

Reply #506791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers are still a top 7 team imo

Reply #506794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has any team gone from making the GF one year, to finishing with the wooden spoon the next?

Reply #506796 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Has any team gone from making the GF one year, to finishing with the wooden spoon the next?"

I am not sure but NZ finished second last, last season after winning the championship the year before.

Reply #506801 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The South Dragons won the championship in 2009 and then folded that off-season so that's certainly worse than finishing bottom the next season (not that I think the 36ers will).

Reply #506803 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Surely Gibson's game wasn't all "horrible" Macdub? I thought just his shooting. He did get 5 assists, drew some fouls and scored from them, as well as picking up a couple of steals.

Reply #506806 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm not overly familiar with the sixers' roster, however one thing I noticed all night was the Cats dominance inside. It SEEMED to me that for much of the time, the Sixers were running a 3 guard rotation?
If so, that would allow Daniels a lot of leeway.

I don't really know how well Schenscher is playing this season, but he seemed to be underutilised, and often only subbed in at the expense of a Forward.

Knight was dominate on the boards, and the Cats got a lot of 2nd-chance points.

Reply #506835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Joey??

Reply #506836 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Some interesting comments on Gibbo. Comparing games won vs games lost this season:

In games won, Gibbo averages 20.3 ppg at 54% and in games lost 10.4 @ 35%. For Jamar Wilson, in games lost, he averages 19.4 ppg at 40% and 15 ppg 43%

Reply #506842 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I completely agree with what Paul said re Wilson getting zero assists. Obviously those people quoting this statistic to criticise Wilson didn't really watch the game. It takes two people for an assist to register. Players need to make layups at the rim (eg Motum), make decent cuts, run the floor and get open etc. When it became clear that no other player was doing this, he had to take matters into his own hands.

Is Motum the most overrated player in the league at the moment? From what I can see he doesn't really have enough moves at the rim to score consistently against good defence, has a very shaky jumper, can't play defence, can't rebound, can't defend, turns the ball over (is leading the league at the moment) and commits silly fouls. I think that covers it. Let's hope he shows us why he was a Boomer over the next few games.

Reply #506843 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Jack those stats show - Wilson is consistent and Gibbo is a front runner.

Thanks for sharing.

Also did you see who got the flop warning on Sun, one of our 6 premiership pennants was obstructing my view and I couldn't quite see?

Reply #506844 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No, I missed it. A flop warning given in Perth? What is the world coming to? I assume it wasn't on a floppycat?

Reply #506849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was not.

Reply #506852 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I was at the game

A) Perth were pretty poor that first quarter
B) Perths Free throw shots needs a LOT of improvement.

C) Motum had 2 fouls in the first 3 minutes.

D) The bench was a big difference between teams.

Reply #507044 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

We've been having some up and down performances from the charity stripe. Oft-good, sometimes tragic.

Reply #507045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Breakers game, we were way oft!

Reply #507048 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754