Paul
Years ago

Albury/Wodonga sign Claybrin McMath

Albury/Wodonga have announced the signing of Claybrin McMath.

24 year old, 6'8 forward originally from South Australia. Former AIS scholarship holder who has spent the last three years at Bryant University in the US.

Currently a development player with Townsville in the NBL.

Anyone know much about him?

Topic #36096 | Report this topic

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

I wonder how their existing former AIS scholarship holder forward feels about that. He was a "big" signing for 2013 but hasn't really lived up to the hype.

Reply #506864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Son of Harold McMath

Used to watch him play in Taranaki (NZ) as an import many years ago. He then played in Adelaide and settled there (similar route to Mark Davis). Harold was famous for holding larry Bird to a single point in college. Slightly undersized 6.6 power forward.

Reply #506874 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

We all know that Claybrin was a Centrals junior but didn't he change clubs upon return from college?
Just curious as to why after a good program saw him through.
Did Harold coach South at 1 time?
I know he was at the Converse shop at HarbourTown sometime ago and at David Jones West Lakes prior to that.
Seemed like a very nice person

Reply #506890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, Claybrin was NEVER a Centrals junior. He was a Sturt junior. You are right about one thing, Harold is a good guy! Oh and he coached South, I think to a premiership.

Reply #506905 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Hope he copes with the poor coaching.

Reply #506916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hanging Round, Claybrin never played for Centrals. You must be confused with somebody else.

Reply #506917 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anon,

Good to see a fellow Naki brother on the forum.

I assume Harold played during the boom era of Naki basketball - packed out YMCA.

I watched a great documentary on the NZNBL and Taranaki Basketball in particular (Will find the Youtube link for you).

You literally had people who used to line up for 5-6 hours and camp out the night before to get tickets!

Reply #506936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor coaching?

I believe Brad Chalmers coached his team to the SEABL Championship in 2012. He cant be too bad.

Reply #506966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Chalmers recruited a championship winning team to win the 2012 title. It had little to do with his coaching ability, in fact some might even say they won despite his lack of coaching ability.

Reply #506969 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Runchey never won a championship in his 20 plus years of coaching.Chalmers did it in year 2 or 3.

Reply #506970 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Year 1 in fact but hasn't looked like coming close in Years 2 or 3.

Reply #506972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recruiting is part of coaching. Yes he recruited a championship winning team. He recruited players that were the right fit for the club and that complemented the group of local players that he already had.

Reply #506973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask a few of the players what they think of him as a coach.

Reply #506981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All his players hate him. Why do you think it's a revolving door. The club has seen more new faces in the last 3 years than I've seen at any club.

Reply #506984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are you getting that information from Anonymous?

Reply #506986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again. Ask the players that have left.

Reply #507029 | Report this post

Comeandsee  
Years ago

I'm glad this thread stayed on topic of giving people an insight into what claybrin can bring to the table instead of the bashing session it could have! Oh wait....

Reply #507046 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more Comeandsee. All I really wanted to know is can the guy play?

Reply #507154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't answer that Paul, I'll i can tell you about is his pop.

Reply #507216 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 pm, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754