Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane team

2015 is here and wtf is happening with the Brisbane team. I would have thought they might have made some coaching announcement by now. Cutting it fine I would have thought to be ready in 10 months or so. Maybe a GM and staffing announcement? I hear that Big Joe has moved to Ipswich and if anyone can get it done he can, so that's a bit strange as well. He ran the Blitz on short notice which is an amazing effort and now gone from the Brisbane scene.
All very strange IMO.

Topic #36188 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question.

And what is happening about Television coverage for next season?

Reply #508413 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Brisbane one i find interesting, as nobody has put there hand up to say they are funding it.Unfortunately monopoly money doesnt count these days....

Reply #508416 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

2nd Melbourne team will take Crocs licence
Bullets still not up off the ground.

Reply #508418 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I doubt we'll hear about next year's TV deal until the current one has expired, particularly if they're going to a different network. Doesn't mean nothing is being done, though.

The Bullets, on the other hand, really should be further along than they are.

Reply #508419 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

By the same argument then, so should the second melbourne team.

Reply #508432 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The second Melbourne team won't be playing in ten months.

Reply #508434 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

CJ coaching Brisbane SEABL team could be a good indication.

Reply #508438 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Dont think the Brisbane team is happening.

It was all talk, no .. well.. anything.

Reply #508441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ditto with the TV deal.
Both are myths IMO until proven otherwise

Reply #508442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the money with crocs folding. Being replaced with jacks money. Slepoy and Co now want no further expansion and no tassie team mentioned.

Reply #508444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #508444, are you saying that Slepoy's trying to block the 2nd Melbourne team too, or that the expansion stops after they and Brisbane are added?

Reply #508449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are you saying that Jack Bendat is funding the Brisbane team ?

Reply #508462 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

So no new teams next season?

Reply #508466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am saying Bendat will fund the Brisbane team. Marvin will love that. Crocs gone, and the DoDo dicks are stopping any expansion for several years it seems. Tassie wont get in.
We know who is running the NBL now. Not that we didn't already know that.

Reply #508469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Marvin will love that"

If Marvin can make the Brisbane team even half as good as Perth's, on and off the court, surely this can only be good for the League?

Reply #508477 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Hard to say.
The NBL have "committed" to an Brisbane team next season, but I suspect they are holding off trying to generate some local impetus. Ideally they need some locals to step up and "make it happen." That's also going to work better for fan support too, if the locals feel the return is down to them, rather than something imposed by the NBL.

Reply #508484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you are talking shit. There is ZERO local interest and no one will step up. That's what O'Neill left before he was sacked. If marvin can make the Brisbane team 1/2 as good, more crock of shit. So Marvin will be responsible for 2 teams? Hello conflict of interest. A bit like being the boss of the NBL.

Reply #508491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be in his best interests to make both clubs work.

Again, how is this a bad thing?

Reply #508494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hello. 2 clubs run by the same person isnt a problem? The Nbl dediced for some TV reason to announce prematurely they (Brisbane) were in. Now what? SFA. If Marvin is in charge using Perths money where is the fairness? Oh wait we want to hire billy Bob for 187K. Sorry we cant afford it. We need more stationary. Sorry budgets blown. No imparialtionese. If there is such a word.
Crocs gone Perth effectively owning 2 teams is IMO a serious serious problem.
Oh and the chairman of the NBL is still Marvin. hello!!!!!

Reply #508495 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think the bigger problem is Marvin's membership in the Illuminati.

Reply #508500 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

So you 'most knowledgeable' fans go on about how Marvin chairs the NBL Board is in conflict with being the Wildcats chief, now suddenly have no problem with Nick being chair on THREE boards?

Wow...

Reply #508503 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If Marvin does anything to Brisbane or any other club then it should be as a consultant!

He has learnt a lot about what works and what doesn't so him being the NBL chair then surely he should be able to give advice to any and all other NBL clubs to be more professional and prosperous and if he can help at all get better stadium deals for rival clubs then I don't think any team in the league should be complaining.

I just hope he takes the NBL chair position as seriously as his Wildcats job

Reply #508513 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

... And is it too much to bloody ask for a league sponsor?

Have we had a decent since the Mitsubishi Challenge

Oh and the Uncle Toby's all-star game... Can't help but smile over that

Reply #508514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is happy to get on a smack Marvin for conflicts and have a go at the DoDo guys but lets face it if the Crocs fold and no new teams come into the league (Brisbane/SE Melb) then we don't have a league! 7 teams can't sustain a national comp, you'll have no TV rights, no sponsors and it will die very quickly which no one wants as all involved will loose a lot of hard earned money.

Perth & Melb can't play themselves and they know it....as much as Dodo guys don't want SE Melb coming in they also need to have other teams to play against!

Reply #508517 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No need to get rude.
I'd personally like to see the Bullets return, and I can understand the desire to put a team in Brissy for TV reasons, but if there's "Zero local Interest," then it's a fools errand by the NBL.

Reply #508592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% correct.

Reply #508600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are we pretty much accepting the fact it looks like 2015/2016 season will be 7 teams?

Reply #508604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This weeks guess is status quo. No Crocs essentially replaced by Brisbane.

Reply #508610 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sad thread, until I read Koberulz' post, hilarious...

Reply #508611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2nd Melbourne team is recruiting players

Reply #508613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons or Magic?

Reply #508615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slepoy and co don't want any other expansion team in other that Brisbane atm.

Reply #508642 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Total hypothetical here, but what you're saying is if a high roller in Brisbane come in with millions of $$ and said I want to get a team running in Brisbane again the Melb team would block it and the NBL would be powerless to do anything about it?

I'm going with it would get over the line. The problem with my story is there isn't anyone willing to put up $Millions.

Reply #508646 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

How do we know for sure there is "zero local interest"?

Has anyone done any market research?

Reply #508651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Answer your own question Jack T. The NBL has wanted a Brisbane team long before the current group took over. Neill left arguably before he got sacked because he couldn't find anyone interested in the bid. Pretty simple really. Now by all accounts the NBL will fund it themselves.
If the NBL are going into this blind and not doing any market research after years of interest, where is the problem?

Reply #508667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slepoy, etc should just bankroll the entire professional league. Set up 8-10 franchises like the Indian Premier League in big markets and play a 3 month season with each team playing at least two games per weekend and maybe three games per week. Import restrictions set at 3 per team, play 48 minute games and make it an entertainment league.

The NBL dissolves - bigger franchises are in the new league, smaller clubs like Townsville could play in the SEABL.

The SEABL exists as the winter league, with maybe BA using it as a legitimate "development league". WNBL ceases to exist and the SEABL becomes the premier female competition for women's basketball.

Reply #508669 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Set up 8-10 franchises like the Indian Premier League in big markets"

And where do we find these "big markets"?
NBL has struggled in the country's biggest city (although the Kings SEEM to be going ok now.)
The biggest basketball market (Melbourne) can't get their act together to support their team (or teams)
and Brisbane (the subject of this thread) IS the 3rd largest market in Australia.

There was a thread earlier about why the Wildcats have been successful, and one of the factors is that the people of Perth are exceptional in their support for the Cats. We don't bitch and moan about who owns the team, or about what suburb they play in, or demand our "own team" from the Eastern/Southern/Northern suburbs.

When entering the NSL, Perth Glory was a completely new construct. Every existing Soccer fan in Perth had their existing allegiances, to European teams and their local clubs (predominately ethnic in origin). Soccer in Perth (as elsewhere) was incredibly divided, yet fans put that aside to support THEIR Perth team.

I STILL support East Perth "Royals," as I have done for 40+ years, but in the AFL I support The Eagles.

I don't mind the idea of two NBL teams in Melbourne, but my point is that the people need to get behind them. If Perth can sell out the Arena, Melbourne should be able to sell out Rod Laver.
Maybe marketing and branding is the answer, but whatever the NBL needs to generate much greater crowd support. If they can't get that support in Brisbane, then the team will fail.

Reply #508673 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"If the NBL are going into this blind and not doing any market research after years of interest, where is the problem?"

I hope that is a bit of sarcasm there! Any business venture started without a proper marketing plan is like trying to scaling Mt Everest and only packing budgie smugglers and your McGyver pocketknife in your knapsack.

Reply #508674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFAIK the suggestion has already been put that Slepoy and co want to own the whole NBL.

Reply #508697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would there be any sarcasm Jack T. O'Neill couldn't sell it. Brisbane from a business perspective don't want it, and market research should have alrrady been done years ago by the former NBL and if that info hasn't been passed on then the new owners should have already done due diligence. If not yet again where is the problem?
No Coach, no infrastructure, no nothing. SFA. Premature announcement by the NBL and with less than 10 months to assemble a new side from scratch, where is the problem?

Reply #508698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is the former CEO told people what they wanted to hear instead of following instruction from the board, and that was to ensure stability of the struggling clubs. He's walked away, leaving the board up shit creek.

For all those bagging the supposed conflict of interest that Nick Marvin, I'd suggest you either come with alternatives of who can take over the Chairmans role, ask why no alternatives have been put in place, and stop reading the shit that Boti produces where he claims to know everything that goes on at NBL HQ.

Reply #508700 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

#698, BTW the former CEO's last name is Neill.

Reply #508706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not mention that Bendant's son is an NBL Board member wither. Cleary irrelevant as well.

Reply #508712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he is, but again, who is the alternative? What do the other clubs say about that? Why did they put him there? Where are all the other candidates lining up to take on such a lucrative position?

Reply #508713 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

People who whinge about supposed "Conflict of Interest" often don't really understand what it means, nor that there is no real alternative.
The NBL has to represent the best interests of the teams, so obviously board members are going to come from interested parties. What's the alternative? Hire some "professional board members" with no interest in Australian Basketball?

And lets face it, if your goal is to (re)start a NBL team (basically from scratch) in a major capital city, who's the best person to ask how? Unlike some of the pipe-dreamers who have crashed and burned over the years (and almost destroyed the NBL in the process,) Marvin KNOWS what is required.
He's not going to run the team, but he understands the resources, management, and money it will require to be successful.

Reply #508791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty simple question really to the Board question. Why isn't the NBL Board represented by all the constituent members?
Why not have an independent boss?

On that subject it seems that the Slepoys want to expand the League back to the future ala the Newcastles, Hobarts Canberras of the past. They want control and the stumbling block is Marvin. It now seems to be a battle of power. WA Vs Vic.
Certainly a 2nd Melb team is a strong rumour for next season. Someone here alluded to that earlier saying 2nd Melb team recruiting.

Reply #508822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#822 just invented a whole bunch of nonsense. I'm kinda...curious... why someone would do that.

Reply #508824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neill had a government backed bid well along the track in Brisbane, within the realm of what the board had been discussing, but the Chairman shifted the goalposts and did it in such a tactless way in front of the bid group that they walked away.

Reply #508825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish.

Reply #508826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin yet again. How can the Chairman be allowed to over rule the Board?

Reply #508827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anonymous Yesterday 10:24 7 Jan 15
Reply #508613 re: Brisbane team 2nd Melbourne team is recruiting players"

Far more than Brisbane is doing.

Reply #508838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane will be in

Brisbane can't recruit players as they would be breaching their own rules by approaching contracted players in season

Melbourne2 aren't officially in the league so are t bound by league rules

Reply #508840 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am not particularly fussed with perceived conflicts of interest. The bottom line is the Brisbane team needs to be on the ball from Day 1. That involves getting sponsors on board, having a great front office, working the social media right, and getting some high profile players to showcase the brand and getting out to schools to build the brand. Get a business plan in place and work to it.

Talking of social media, the Wildcats do it very nicely. Their IG account is updated daily and they create excitement. 12,600 followers is impressive! Their FB account is pretty active. I am not too sure, but it looks like they have a Snapchat account too.

Snapchat is pretty much an U25 thing, FB has degenerated to middle aged women posting selfies and telling each other they look "gawjus".

The U25 demographic is something a team wants to lock in, so any team without a Snapchat account might do so at their own peril.

Reply #508842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Snapchat is for u25s wanting to get a root

Reply #508843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A locals perspective on it via Boti.
http://www.botinagy.com/blog/brayden-heslehurst-what-still-just-brisbane-bull/

Reply #509012 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

So many opinions and such little information.

Reply #509043 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

No other network is jumping out of the trees to grab the NBL (Tim Gossage) which sounds to me it will likely to stay on Ten despite some people on here claiming 7mate will get the rights.

Reply #509046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754