Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats look to replace Matt Knight

Options mentioned are Gruber, Prue and Trueman.

Topic #36234 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ofcourse they are, 6ers take note. Even if the attitude is defeatist and you can't fathom making a true playoff run, fans aren't stupid, you stop trying to win by any means possible and the fans will eventually stay away.

Reply #509304 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

^It's not a defeatist attitude that is governing the 36ers' decision-making. They are just being frugal - a smart approach.

Reply #509309 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I like Prue as a short term replacement. He is a rebounding King, averaged near 25 boards per game in the SBL and has spent some time with the cats in the past.

Reply #509310 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Id like to see Gruber get a run. ITs not for very long and he is some tall timber

Reply #509311 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I agree get Gruber over there.

Reply #509314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gruber would be my pick

Reply #509319 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Depending on who they get (points wise) the Cats could also look to replace Ross. With Hire still uncertain they are lacking depth.
Jervis is more than capable of stepping up for Knight, however they need to add at least another forward coming off the bench.

Gruber is only 5 points, anyone know what the others would be?

I think Prue would be good rebounding option (coming off the bench) but I feel they also need to add some scoring power and Gruber is probably a good option for that.

Reply #509325 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

I heard Knight will only miss two weeks

Reply #509328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grubers only 6'6/7

Reply #509336 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

With Gruber's personality, he would fit seamlessly in to any team. Hope he gets the chance.

Reply #509338 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

" Former Boomers point -uard Luke Martin trained with the club today and is likely to be offered a short-term injury replacement contract, with the club conducting a wide-ranging search to fill the other spot on the roster "

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/basketball/a/25971724/hire-back-to-help-depleted-cats/

Unless Luke Martin has improved significantly, I would of put Muo miles ahead as a replacement for Ross.

Reply #509345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Martin like 120 years old now.... geez, if this is the case. 6ers need to jump on Gruber, because if both were keen, not rocket science to say you'd be picking the Cats....

Reply #509354 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

^^ Id say Martin would be the replacement for Ross, I imagine Gruber would be a looked at as replacement for Knight

Reply #509356 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If they are looking at Martin that would say to me they want some help for the bench in regards to ball handling, rather than a straight replacement for Ross.

Although UU has improved with his handles, he did play SG in college and probably more comfortable playing there.

Reply #509362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muo is terrible

Reply #509365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just what the Wildcats need and other 'yank'

Reply #509367 | Report this post

J-dogg  
Years ago

Martin and gruber signing with knights 10 points?

Reply #509379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gruber isn't exactly a 5 man is he???
Love him as a role player but position-wise he doesn't seem a good fit to me.

Reply #509384 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Samuel Dalembert is available

Reply #509386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pero, Tom Lang

Reply #509391 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

U'U is definitely better in the 2 spot. I prefer to see Beal at point when DM is off, so perhaps a dedicated PG on the bench is a good idea?

Muo has made no impact in the limited opportunities he's had.

Most important thing is another forward.

Reply #509401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joel naburgs deserves a chance somewhere. He is a sg but surprised he hasn't been signed to at least a dev spot. Crazy.

Reply #509446 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Samuel Dalembert is available"

He WAS born in Haiti, surely Marvin can work something out. LOL

Reply #509471 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No replacement yet, maybe he won't be out for that long?

Reply #509672 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

No Aussie big man out there, if wasn't for the 5 game's in 11 day's it wouldn't have been a drama. Jervis, will do just fine.

Reply #509685 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I also think Jervis and Wagstaff will be enough for the Cats, but they have money and owe it to fans to maximise every run for the championship. There is someone decent they're trying to get though.

Reply #509694 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Remember, Muo will play no further part once Hire returns, due to the injury replacement player regs. He's no longer an option.

Reply #509705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they replace Knight, doesn't that mean he needs to go on injury waivers for a minimum of 4 games or 21 days, whichever happens sooner? Seems a bit of a waste to go after someone for an injury that was initially described as something he may even be able to play through.

Reply #509707 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Unless things changed this season Muo can replace a season-ending injury, so he can be the replacement for Ross if the Wildcats wish.

Reply #509741 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Is there an exemption for season-ending injuries? I thought it was a blanket can only operate as an injury replacement for one player in the season.

Reply #509752 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Martin is the replace for Ross, and besides, WHY would they want to keep Muo?
I agree that Jervis is more than capable of stepping up to replace Knight, however they now need another option off the bench. Depends how quickly Hire can get his fitness back and make an impact.

Reply #509776 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'd really like to know how long they believe he'll be out?
Signing to Martin to replace Ross (a 3 for a 3) makes me suspect that either they have a 10 under consideration for Knight, or they hope he'll be back.
I'm assuming that had it been season-ending they could have split the points?

Reply #510243 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"As much as I would love to see DJ in a cats uniform I can't see him going anywhere but 36ers. Matty would have to be out for the season for it to be worthwhile for him and even if we axed Daniels we would still have a surplus of guys at the 4 and 5 spots."

Yeah, they'd have to hopeful that Knight will return at some point, and they have to believe that Hire will improve and see more minutes.
It's hard to say what the Cats need most, and it depends on his prognosis:
Less than 4 games I understand they can't sign an injury replacement?
4~6 games they'd probably go for another Forward to give them some depth off the bench.
If its the rest of the season, and Hire comes good then unless Martin and U'U start lighting it up (as they can) maybe an off guard or swingman who can hits 3's???

Reply #510268 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I have complete faith in Jervis holding the fort till Knight returns, I'm not entirely sure they need a replacement unless there's a chance he will miss the playoffs . I'm still baffled as to why Jervis wasn't in the last minutes of Friday nights game vs the 36ers.

Reply #510277 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Has anyone heard any rumors if they are still going to replace Matty Knight? And if so, who with? I already know about Grueber, Prue etc.. but just seeing if any one else has heard anything? They definitely need a quality big man replacement! Shame Perth couldn't nab DJ

I've heard nothing, other than the latest comment (in the game preview) is that he's expected to be out for a month.

I don't know how true the rumour was regarding DJ, who else is around of a decent calibre?
If they just want a body to sit on the bench and be thrown on in an emergency then I suspect their preference is simply to use their development players. Timms and Vague are big lads, and at least they have been training with the Cats all season.
IMHO they really do need somebody who can actually make a contribution off the bench, but who's available?

10 days ago they were supposedly "Committed" to finding a replacement, but I've seen nothing further.

Reply #510594 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Maybe all the money is being saved up to fund the Brisbane team?

Reply #510595 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Dazz - "Meanwhile, Perth coach Trevor Gleeson has conceded the Cats are unlikely to replace Knight during his stretch on the sidelines.

The club had originally hoped to sign a fill-in for the six-week stint, but a search for a short-term replacement has been fruitless.

"There's not much out there to come in for a short time for four or five games," Gleeson said.

“Most people are under contract or want a multi-year deal.

“Matt’s started exercising now on the bike and in the pool, so hopefully he’ll get back in the right time.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/breaking-news/club-legend-ricky-grace-imparts-wisdom-on-perth-wildcats-ahead-of-crucial-melbourne-clash/story-fnect155-1227190928189

Reply #510599 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Hard to believe that with all their money, and their vaunted "contacts", that The Cats could not do a better job with injury replacement.

Yet again, this is going to take a massive chunk out of their arse.
They lost Hire for most of the season, and their solution was Muo, they've failed to replace Knight with even a body despite the monster pending schedule, and now Hire is gone again.

Reply #511276 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Injury replacements are a hell of a lot easier if you can look outside the country for help.
Both import spots being filled is pretty limiting when it comes to picking up someone of real quality in the short term.
When constructing this season's roster, we gambled on Matty staying healthy, and we're paying the price right now. Shit happens.

Reply #511287 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I actually think Tommy does a good job in Knight's absence. In fact, I feel they get better value from him. But they need something coming off the bench.
And now, without Hire, they could just do with a body. Prue, Trueman, anyone.

Reply #511299 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754