Isaac
Years ago

NBL appoints Graeme Wade as chairman of the board

The National Basketball League is pleased to announce the appointment of Graeme Wade as the independent Chairman of the NBL Board.

Mr Wade is a leading Company Director and Certified Practising Accountant with over 30 years of consulting experience, including in M & A transactions, Government advisory and Governance.

He was recently appointed the Global President and Chairman of CPA Australia and currently sits on boards and panels for the Public and Private sector.

Mr Wade has also provided advice to the Australian Government for in excess of 20 years, and holds a number of non-executive directorships.
Nick Marvin will continue as a board director and drive the broadcast negotiations ahead of next season, as well as other commercial revenues for the League.
Full announcement

Topic #36253 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

Excellent. Hopefully now the calls that 'Dictator Marvin' is running everything will start to quieten down in favor of another crazypants theory about him trying to summon demons to possess all the other board members.

Reply #509771 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Seriously WTF? How is this good news?
They've appointed a professional "Independent Director" to the Chair, obviously responding to all the vitriol, and what have they got?
"30 years of consulting experience, including in M & A transactions, Government advisory and Governance."
So, umm, what exactly does he know about basketball or even sport in general?

Reply #509772 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Dazz: He understands how to run a board, Im guessing he has a good business sense.

Again using Marvin as an example, he didnt know much at all about Basketball when he came in. He came from a business/management background. Im sure as time has progressed he has learnt more about Basketball, but his priority is making sure the Wildcats get new members, have a decent game to show the family audience he targets and increase the market saturation for the Wildcats.

I would hope that Mr Wade would have similar goals for the NBL. The issue with the NBL is that they need to spend money to get more exposure and they have been very light on doing that.

Reply #509774 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

What will Boti write about now ?

Reply #509775 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'd be happy to see someone with a background running a business, or even in marketing, but he apparently has none of that.
He's a professional board-member (and please understand that due to my own background as an auditor, I know his type well.) Their role is to ensure good Corporate Governance. We can only hope he sticks to what he knows and has no say in the running of the league.

They need to finalise the appointment of a CEO ASAP.
I might have thought that McTavish was a good candidate for the permanent role, but their reliance on Marvin suggest otherwise.

Reply #509777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

train he will write about how you read all his articles but only pay attention to one part of them ?

Reply #509778 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon #9778 - I stopped reading his articles a while back.

Reply #509779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunch of whingers. Lets be honest wouldnt matter if Silver ran the NBL something would be wrong, not enough hair etc etc

Bball are such bitches. I get it when its to do with a bad player selection, but know one knows either way who this guy is... so let him be for now until he gets results either way!

Reply #509788 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous. I think people have the right to be annoyed and sceptical. I tend to think the worst of any decision the NBL makes of late. Life experience has taught me the league just has no clue.

Reply #509808 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Agree with Dazz that they now should move to appoint a permanent CEO. I would have thought they were waiting for this Chair appointment before doing that.

The announcement stated Marvin remains on the Board. No mention of any other changes though. So presumably the Board is now:

Wade (Chair)
Marvin
Bendat
Clarke
Dunn
Garrone

Reply #509829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slightly off topic this is what Nick Marvin had to say about the upcoming TV deal:
"The NBL's broadcast rights deal with the Ten network, with generally a delayed game on Friday night on OneHD and a live Sunday-afternoon clash on Ten, expires this season.

Marvin said the league ideally would have matches on free-to-air and subscription television, including online.

"Our No. 1 priority is to go live. That isn't happening now, which is a legacy we have inherited. The sport needs to be seen live," he said.

"In a perfect world we would love to have at least one or two games a week live on free to air and the rest live on subscription TV in whatever medium that is."

Marvin stressed clubs needed to fill their venues to help attract broadcast support."

Reply #509981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a link to this article ? (Re: Marvin's comments)

Reply #510081 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Here you go:

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/nbl_shoots_for_profitability_HoMYajlfiYwkrYkCXkOF7N

Reply #510083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB why do people have the right?

Doesn't happen in any other sport. Crows CEO has zero AFL background but fans and general public don't have the right to complain and they don't.

Basketball fan is so self opinionated and arrogant about their knowledge and belief they are either smarter and better than the people in charge or have unrealistic expectations about where the sport is in the bigger sporting landscape.

I'm sure people will get their backs up and respond but everyone posting blindly negative comments hurt the league and the sport. Got an issue email or call the NBL or BA or the Sixers.

This bitchfest is why the experience is so bad, why the general public have no interest. As a sport we hate each other.

It's all so negative and so tiring.

Get on board or get lost.

Reply #510085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said

Reply #510096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What BA got to do with anything?

Marvin and co were the ones that voted down the expansion and live games the only thing you have inherited is your vote Nick!

Reply #510098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? Voted down and expansion and live games? Want to at least try and explain your lies?

Reply #510101 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When did Marvin and co vote down live games?

Reply #510102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When they knocked on the head the boutique stadiums in preference for only the larger ones.

Reply #510103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Our No. 1 priority is to go live. That isn't happening now, which is a legacy we have inherited. The sport needs to be seen live," he said."
What a stupid statement that is. If the current TV coverage ends at this seasons end, then how is this a legacy we have inherited.

Reply #510105 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They inherited a TV deal from BA, it's pretty straight forward.

Reply #510106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure is Paul The deal is all but over. So why use the excuse of a deal that used to exist as if its still current. There is no reason now live games cant occur. Except Marvin has said it wont occur now for some stupid reason.

The expansion of the NBL and live TV was predicated on the semi rapid expansion of the NBL. Neill had the plan and lost to the NBL Board hence he left. New teams had suggested smaller venues which was not acceptable as we all know. FFS Marvin is now negotiating the TV deals. No one else to blame I guess.

Reply #510107 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was clearly talking about the current situation, saying we want to get live games but that's not happening at the moment in the deal we inherited.

I don't think the whole vision for the future issue is quite as clear cut as you make out, but I too was certainly disappointed with how it transpired. A mix of the two models seems like a good outcome for the league.

And yes, there will be no one else to blame for the next deal, the ball is in the NBL's court.

Reply #510108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still say Paul the deal they inherited is well and truly over. So why talk about it in the future tense at all.
Neill said on departing that the TV deal was a long way off and it appears he is right.

The hope was TV live at least 6 days a week AFAIK. Once the smaller stadiums were off the agenda so was live TV.
We now have the stupidity of Brisbane in with nothing. They have been in since the Blitz! This is supposedly the key to successful TV saturation for the NBL. Poor product now unfortunately and allowing Brisbane in and another melb side wont make it any more viewable next season for the rest of Australia.

Reply #510110 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I still say Paul the deal they inherited is well and truly over. So why talk about it in the future tense at all."

Marvin didn't talk about it future tense, he talked about it in current tense, because it is current and will be until the playoffs finish!

Reply #510112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he's talking about LIVE TV deals NOW being off the agenda now with 1/2 a season to go.?? And more importantly blaming the old NBL. Jeez.
This is the same guy who will negotiate the new TV deal as well. Heaven help the NBL.

Reply #510113 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, he's saying they don't have live games at the moment because the inherited the deal, and in the next deal getting live games is a must.

Reply #510114 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There's a sense of irony with people struggling to interpret a fairly clear and understandable quote followed by calling the NBL/Marvin/Wade stupid.

Reply #510115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754