Slammin'08
Years ago

NBL Facebook - Cancel Your Plans, New Broadcast...

Anyone else see the facebook post from NBL? A new broadcast dynamic you won't want to miss on the Sixers Vs Wildcats game. "Dynamic Features, Locker Room Access, Jib Camera and Behind the Scenes Footage". Sounds like what they should have been doing since 1990 but I guess better late than never hey?

My take on it is that a jib camera doesn't add much to a basketball broadcast, I will almost guarantee you will have annoying moving flying shots for no good reason throughout the match. Have 2 high center cameras, one under each basket and a low sideline camera as well as 2 roving and that is how you do basketball. Save the Jib for the slam dunk contest on All Star Weekend! (well if they actually did the All Star Weekend). The rest sounds good. Hopefully the production and presenters are good and not amateur hour!

Topic #36262 | Report this topic

Flinders80  
Years ago

Thanks for the reminder to watch. Definitely agree with your take on the jib camera. Either behind the rim camera or wide angle under the rim or slow mow camera for the dunk highlights

Reply #509969 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Ok well 5 minutes and I'm already liking the broadcast better. However definitely don't like the use of the jib during games, don't mind it for the commentators. The camera above is good but not while play is going. By all means use it for replays and highlights or even for foul shots but not during play.

But credit so far, enjoying the broadcast. Game is entertaining also which helps

Reply #509973 | Report this post

Slammin'08  
Years ago

They need more replay decks. That jib should be being locked on one deck and used for replays. Also need a replay deck on low sideline camera and one on the high camera shots. Should be replays of key plays going into each ad break and during appropriate stoppages in play. Get the commentators commenting on how plays happened more with replays to back up there points.

Reply #509974 | Report this post

United Fan  
Years ago

these comentators make watching the game painfull.. brock hits a three and a comentator says 'just put the guns in the holister, and 'jamarvilous' ugh

Reply #509995 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Three years of him playing up here at Cairns and I never once thought of 'Jamarvolous'. Frankly I'm ashamed of myself.

Reply #510009 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The broadcast seemed better but that may also have been because it's the best game I've seen all year. I didn't like the coaches being mic'd up during the game.

Reply #510014 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Commentating was good, broadcast was good. Result was better than usual! Not sure about interviewing the coaches during the game, neither seemed keen at all!!!!

Reply #510016 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It was a much better broadcast and game than we had seen all season. But why wait til mid season to change things up? Is this a way to try to appeal to future broadcasters? They should have been doing this for a while now. Lets hope it continues anyways... we have seen changes in broadcasting before which have only reverted back to the below-mediocrity standard soon after. I wonder if other venues will have these cameras? Also... I was a fan of the short story on the Damo Boggle head. It atleast gave the appearance that people care about the team and league and gave some personality to that side of the story.

All in All... really cant complain about the NBL's effort on this ONE particular night. Lets see what they do from here hey? But for me this is the first bright spark in what has constituted another darkages for the NBL for mine.

Reply #510032 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Was the best broadcast in a long, long time!

Also a great, entertaining game too which helped.

Can they replicate this again this season? Time will tell.

Reply #510039 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Will the NBL/broadcaster make the same effort for Sunday's game with Wollongong playing? I hope so.

Reply #510058 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Better?

Got some overhead shots, which is informative and perhaps good for the coaches among us, though would definitely benefit from some expert commentator analysis, but not particularly exciting.

Got more intrusive - and pointless & annoying - in-game chats with coaches and change-room shots [no, we don't want them, nor need them. They are trite, twee, and add nothing, though I suppose doing it does show how clever/powerful the TV director is] and LOTS more shots of the crowd while there was action happening on court. So there was a big crowd. And a lot of people were wearing red and funny wigs and costumes. Maybe they could have a show on sport crowds and their antics, which would allow the director/camera men to focus on the on-court action when televising a basketball [or other] game. Or was the problem director just more interested in the crowd than the game?

We also got an advert while an interview with the new NBL chairman was underway! Would VERY willingly have foregone the pointless locker-room footage for the interaction with the chairman. Probably didn't say much but might have given us some idea about him.

And in exchange for the supposed 'improvements' we got less action replays and we didn't get the half-time team stats [shooting percentages, etc], which I [used to] value.

Different? Yes. Better? Not in my opinion.

Reply #510089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top Notch broadcast.

I like that they are trying new things like getting the coaches mic'd up during play and new camera angles.

Ch10 are doing a great job with the big bash and if they can continue to bring what works with that to the NBL I'm all for it.

Reply #510092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great concept and in the bits I saw I thought it was over done. But still a great idea. I guess if they can replicate it as other venues all the better.

Reply #510095 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Ch10 are doing a great job with the big bash and if they can continue to bring what works with that to the NBL"
The reason we got what we did last night is that the NBL have finally got rid of Channel 10 from the production process.

Reply #510111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754