EC
Years ago

Can 36ers steal 4th place from Melbourne?

My prediction:
Melbourne -
Perth away - loss
Townsville home - win
Wollongong away - win
Wollongong home - win
Cairns away - loss
Townsville away - win
Sydney home - win
Sydney away - win = 6 wins

Adelaide
Wollongong away - win
Sydney away - win
Townsville home - win
Sydney home - win
NZ away - loss
Perth home - win
Wollongong away - win = 6 wins

Adelaide winning the split = Adelaide 4th, Melbourne 5th.

Topic #36274 | Report this topic

very much in the balance - both teams finals have started early - would not predict either being a lock at this stage.

Reply #510312 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Adelaide has already lost the split, so reverse your order on those predictions.

Reply #510313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could see Melbourne & Adelaide both making it, and Perth dropping to 5th the way they're playing lately

Reply #510314 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

Correct - Perth at greatest risk now ..

Reply #510315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh gees, doesn't take long for every thread in here to turn into Perth bashing.
Perth are two games clear of Adelaide with an extra 2 games in hand. Adelaide have more chance of Motum crapping solid gold turds than they do of overhauling Perth.

Reply #510320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee Wilson is playing well isn't he

Reply #510321 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think Perth will still make it actually. Gleeson wouldn't have been happy with their defence on Friday night and I don't think they'll be that bad again, or at least won't be too often.

Melbourne I am not so sure. And with Adelaide its a wait and see how DJ fits back in.

Reply #510323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep Wilson resolved some issues to make him more than just a scorer. Joey wants it and he delivered, everyone happy now as team now how it should be. nothing wrong with an issue being raised, heard and resolved. Ask the Sixers club coach and players and they will never say fhey dislike their fans. They will say they are tough, they know their basketball and they keep us accountable, and yes they are a formidible force behind the fortress at the Arena. They are critical because they care and when the team gets it right they are the loudest crowd. The club loves their fans just the way they are. They were their through the tough years too remember and the club survived. Still consistently giving crowd numbers above melb and Syd who have more money and big names behind them and with a much smaller population and a stadium out if the CBD.

Do you not think Gleesons serve publicly on the team does not spell major issues if the coach has a go now too. He's worried about dropping out too don't worry about that and the way the bottom teams are playing it has been getting tight and any team could beat any team and they have except maybe New Zealand.

Remember there are records set and in the history books. This could be the year for one, and a major upset, you never know......

Reply #510324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are very shaky

4 of their last games are against teams above them on the ladder

Drop them and anything can happpen

Reply #510326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth need to win against Melbourne on Wednesday to take the pressure off - A crucial match for both teams. Especially with 3 roads for Perth straight after. Think Perth get in the four but no way they end up in the Top 2.

Reply #510327 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Im interested to know if people still think Gleeson is a good coach?

Reply #510331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you mean "still"?
Did anyone ever think he was a good coach? Last year the consensus was that anyone could have coached the Wildcats to a title, and every other year he has underwhelmed as a coach.

Reply #510341 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

On paper right now, it's 50/50- Adelaide has the easier run but Melbourne has the split, and one less loss.

In Melbourne’s favour is continuity. Remember how well Adelaide were playing and when Motum joined they went on a losing streak? Sometimes roster changes can have a bad short term effect. Adelaide is running the risk of messing with a good thing by adding someone at this stage. I like the balance they have with Petrie, Schenscher and Motum- it’s been working lately. DJ is a tremendous individual talent, but it remains to be seen how he mixes in with that group.

And don’t discount Perth from this conversation. They are missing Knight- that’s big. Last time Knight got a couple of Melbourne players in foul trouble early, in fact Perth’s rebounding and interior work has previously worried Melbourne. Based on the 3 games to date, there’s not much in this matchup at all, and Perth just got significantly weaker in one area where they previously exposed Melbourne. If Perth lose, all of a sudden they’re 12-8 and with Melbourne and Adelaide both conceivably heading towards 15 or 16 wins and with Melbourne getting the split, Perth aren’t safe either.

But if Perth do win Wednesday, then they’re 98% of the way there - the odds of them missing the 4 would become almost fanciful, if they jump to 13-7, and Melbourne drop to 10-11 with Perth having the split.

Reply #510347 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Perth are 12-7, so we basically need two wins out of 9. I don't think we deserve to be in a slip to 5th conversation yet.

Reply #510350 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Perth win two of nine they'll finish 14-14 and quite possibly miss the playoffs. If they go 3-6 they should make it, and 4-5 will definitely get them in.

I agree them missing is an outside chance, but if they lose on Wednesday the pressure just rises a little bit.

Reply #510351 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

LV - Motum, Jamar and Crawford vs DJ fitting the group are not the same issue. Dj was with the club and those players for a few years and then there is last year. He will slip in fine and maybe be better. He is the best fit and needed to support Schensh so I don't think anyone is worried at all. Couldn't be a better scenarios in these circumstances really..

Reply #510359 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I wouldn't get too excited if I was a Perth (12:7) fan. Perth's run home:

Melbourne (H)
Townsville (A)
Cairns (A)
Breakers (A)
Kings (H)
Taipans (H)
Breakers (H)
Sixers (A)
Townsville (H)

Perth have lost away at Townsville, Cairns and Breakers. The Townsville/Cairns will be a tough road trip. If Melbourne pull a win, then it is possible Perth could be 12:11 in the near future.

Kings at home should be a gimme. Taipans at home will be hard even though they beat them early in the season. The Breakers beat them at home in R1 so don't expect an easy game. The last game is probably a gimme. Crocs will be broken, although they might want to go out with a bang.

Perth might slump to 13:15 and it would be good-Knight. More than likely, they will finish up 15:13 or 16:12

The Sixers won't have the split on Perth and Melbourne, but Melbourne need to get a win by about 8 to get the split on Perth and possibly steal 3rd spot.

It's going to be a very exciting end to the season

Reply #510360 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont think missing the presence of Knight will be too much of a factor against Melbourne. Melbourne dont like to make their way in the paint too often so as long as Perth defend the perimeter well and crash the boards they'll take care of business.

Reply #510361 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'm still confident Perth wont miss the playoffs, they still have 5 games at home and I can't see them losing more than 2 of those. Wollongong have gone to the wire against 36ers and NZ in recent games and are going to play a big part in who makes the 4th spot.

Reply #510362 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Perth are safe, yet still can make the top 2, so no convo here about whether they make it or not. Cairns is fairly safe but I reckon Melbourne might just sneak home. That game earlier in season in Adelaide will get them there

Reply #510364 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

@Jack- incorrect- If Melbourne beat Perth they will get the split. They don't need to win by 8.

@ Anon- Yep, DJ's been in Adelaide for years. But has he played with Motum? DJ was the man, now Motum’s the man. Will there be enough ball to go around? What about the defensive end- neither are renowned defenders. I’m not sure you can brush questions like that under the carpet just because DJ’s been with Adelaide before.

Reply #510369 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Perth are 2 -1 and +5 v Melbourne so United need to win by 6 or more to claim the series

Adelaide need to beat Perth by 21 to win their series

Reply #510371 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Sorry, my mistake, Melbourne are up 230 -225 total so indeed Melbourne just need a win to get the series.

Reply #510372 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

People talking about "Melbourne beating Perth."
Doh!
If that happens then Melbourne are in, and Adelaide are sunk.
Adelaide's ONLY hope is if Melbourne lose on Wednesday and finish the season on only 15 wins, giving Adelaide an outside chance of taking 16 and 4th spot.

Perth have a horror run this week, and frankly the only question against Cairns is how well the Cats can contain the damage. But if they can't win at least 4 out of 9 games, I'll eat my shorts.
Realistically their chances of taking 2nd are now shot, but I am hopeful they can hold 3rd, as I fancy their chances better against Cairns than NZ.

Reply #510389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth beat Melb and then Cairns home and away they have a decent chance of getting second.

If they drop those games they are in a battle for 4th. Interesting few weeks ahead for the Wildcats.

Reply #510390 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sydney hold the cards as much as Melbourne and Adelaide do here.
Both teams play them twice. And they're a dangerous team. Childress and Madgen can get hot and beat Melbourne or Adelaide. Wouldn't surprise me to see them win at least 2 of those 4 games.

Reply #510393 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Horror week.... I suggest horror fortnight!!

Perth are at home to Melbourne Wednesday night but then fly to Townsville and play less than 48 hours later before then having to head to Cairns to play the following night.

Do they go home or do they go straight to Auckland because they have to be there for a Thursday night game before heading home to play Sydney (who'll be fresh from a weeks break).

Lots of traveling and not a lot of recovery time between games (especially if they go back to Perth between Cairns and NZ games).

That's possibly the toughest schedule of any competition when you are down two key players and have a player lacking game legs.

Reply #510394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also the first post has Wollongong losing all 4 games to United and the 36ers.

Odds would indicate that they have a very good chance at winning one of their home games against these teams, especially as they are playing free with zero pressure.

Reply #510398 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yes, my bad on the maths. Melbourne just need to limp over the line to get the split. Melbourne are up by 5, but are down 1-2 at the moment.

Perth has not beaten NZB so far this season. Against the other teams, they currently sit:

Adelaide: 2-1 +21
Cairns: 1-1 +3
Melbourne 2-1 -5
NZB: 0-2 -21
Sydney 2-1 +36
Townsville 1-1 -7
Hawks 4-0 +62

Melbourne (H) - if they drop this then they are in trouble
Townsville (A) - genuine 50/50 game. Friday night games at Home (x7), average score is 83:72.4 (+10.6), Friday night away 81:76.3 (+4.7)
Cairns (A) - Loss
Breakers (A) - Loss
Kings (H) - Win - scores should be around 85:65
Taipans (H) - 60% Win. Scores should be around 82 each
Breakers (H) - 80% Loss
Sixers (A) - Loss - no debate required
Townsville (H) - 90% Win

More than likely, they will finish up 15:13 or 16:12. 17:11 would be a very good result

Reply #510403 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Adelaide don't want to be tied with Melbourne and Perth at seasons end as the internal points spread is heavily against Adelaide due to big point loss to Perth and the smackdown they got from United in Adelaide

It depends on who wins the Perth /Melbourne game this week as to what Adelaide needs from other results.

They will also need to beat Perth by around 25 points to claim that series if they do get locked up

There is a plausibility that 2 teams will be tied up at seasons end and a remote chance that 3 teams will be locked together.

Reply #510405 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

As a Sixers fan I hope they make it but either way the end of the season is a lot more exciting than it seemed a few weeks ago and that is what the game needs.

Reply #510413 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Exactly, even if we dont make it the team has made some positive steps from the start of the season that will hopefully transpire into next.

How about this for a question...Jamar of the last 4-5 games - if he were to keep playing in that manner would you re-sign him for next season?

Reply #510419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would as he is playing well enough and will likely convert to an Australian player in the next few years.

Reply #510420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of the last 4-5 games? Yes

First half of the season? No

Reply #510423 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

My bad, I claimed the split for the 36ers based on them winning 3 out of 4 games against Melbourne. Forgot to factor in the thrashing of the first game. How costly was that first game?

Reply #510479 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

with the line up of the Sixers as it would stand with DJ coming back in, this is a team that should stay together and build, gain loyalty points, contract point reductions and establish a greater presence and membership. Potential plus even if Motum returns OS but eventual room and maybe the finances for a stud import or OS team connection. we'll have to wait and see..

Reply #510485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC melb have the split cause they have a better points spread in the four games two wins each

Adelaide 79 - Melbourne 118 at home
Melbourne 94 - Adelaide 91 away
Adelaide 90 - Melbourne 77 at home
Melbourne 90 - Adelaide 92 away

they won the first two we won the second two but they scored more points than us so they have the split we have to finish one game clear of them to make fourth

Reply #510488 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think it just got a LOT tougher...

Reply #510887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It just became a lot harder to knock out Melbourne for the Sixers but Perth are at risk of missing out if they drop this upcoming match against Townsville.

Reply #510901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:32 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754