William
Years ago

NBL's new boss to push TV deal

New National Basketball League chairman Graeme Wade will drive a push for a new broadcast deal he hopes will shore up the league's financial ­stability.

The NBL is in the last year of its Network 10 broadcast deal, which covers two matches live each round. The NBL is thought to have talked with Foxtel and Fox Sports over pay television games next year.

Mr Wade, also chairman of CPA Australia, said his main priorities were a new broadcast contract, likely a hybrid of free-to-air and pay TV coverage, and putting a new team in Brisbane in time for the 2015-16 season.

"Right now, the league is basically self-sufficient from crowds in the stadiums, and any broadcast deal would hopefully add to that," he said.

“In terms of Brisbane, you don’t have to be Einstein to figure that we are far down the track regarding having a team there. We are not saying it is a definite and we are exercising some caution.”

But we think there is a compelling business case there and we hope we could find someone who could own that team.”

Otherwise, Mr Wade said the NBL - owned by investors and the owners of the eight existing teams – would look for efficiencies to help financially struggling teams. He also planned to explore some sort of involvement for the league in basketball in south-east Asia.

Topic #36278 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

I would try to also get the league televised in Asia.

Reply #510400 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He mentioned Asia on the ONEHD broadcast on Friday night.

Maybe we could enter our best team in the ASEAN league? so they played in both the NBL & ASEAN...or maybe organising a Champions league like the soccer.

Reply #510407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In terms of Brisbane, you don't have to be Einstein to figure that we are far down the track regarding having a team there. We are not saying it is a definite and we are exercising some caution."

A definite maybe then for Brisbane it seems.

Reply #510408 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A SEABL team would go close to winning the ASEAN league. I think a champions league set-up needs to happen, which has been on FIBA, BA and the NBL's agenda for a while.

Reply #510409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Nick Marvin was driving the new TV Deal ?

Reply #510412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane is happening with a backer associated with Perth taking this risk

Reply #510416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Jack Bendat funding Brisbane ?

Reply #510417 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The Champs league idea would add games and TV time to the NBL clubs which is great as we don't play enough games at present.

Reply #510421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love the champions league idea- would give a team like Hawks something to play for...

Reply #510430 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Paytv, foxsports is great worked well for A-league. Broadcast every game!

Reply #510442 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'm still not a big fan of going to Foxtel because it limits the potential audience. Over half of Australian homes still don't have Foxtel.

That's what happened when the NBL went with Foxtel back in the late 1990's. Fox were in a much smaller percentage of homes back then and by putting all games on pay-tv the league managed to cut well over half their television audience in one foul swoop. The so-called casual fans were no longer exposed to the NBL other than the odd news report if a team was successful or what could be read in the papers and it became a case of "out of sight, out of mind" for most people, and that reflected in attendances which dropped alarmingly after the 1990's "golden era".

Don't get me wrong, I can see the plus side of things. But if it were up to me I wouldn't go to pay-tv again until Fox is in about 2/3's of Aussie homes.

Reply #510454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel and sports channels isn't in my pay grade sorry.

Reply #510456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it's great news to hear that confirmation about the Bullets anyway.
Sounds like they are absolutely undeniably 100% certainties to be a fair chance of playing next season.

Reply #510461 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Foxtel is dead and buried.

Any deal with Foxtel will entice who to follow the sport or to a lesser extent the NBL?

Free to air TV and an improved NBLTV model is what is needed. Still just needs two nbl games a week on free to air, and reduce the cost of NBL TV to around $50 a season. You will be surprised that it will be easier for the NBL and in the end they will make more money with a cheaper NBL TV model.

They should not be expecting the working, money earning basketball fans to fork out for an unwanted overpriced cable network. Especially given the improvements to online TV networks.

Reply #510464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what quote you were reading anonymous but this is the one I read form Botis article.
"In terms of Brisbane, you don't have to be Einstein to figure that we are far down the track regarding having a team there. We are not saying it is a definite and we are exercising some caution."

Reply #510468 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Free to Air and NBL Tv (or similar) for mine.This is what I have now.

Foxtel does not interest me and certainly would not get it for NBL.

Reply #510495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox Sports telecasting NBL games, brings much needed revenue to the sport.

NBL.tv brings in no revenue from sponsors and has very few subscribers.

Reply #510496 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Foxtel giving the NBL money back in the late 90's also gave the league more revenue - lots of it. But that wasn't enough to sustain things as they ended up cutting their TV audience by well over half and that ended up being reflected in attendance figures.

Basketball in Australia isn't soccer. Its not the AFL and its not the NRL or Super Rugby or cricket. It simply doesn't have a large enough following that will see people subscribe to pay-tv just to watch the NBL.

Have you noticed all the Foxtel ads lately promoting their $25 subscription? And the ones saying you can get some sports channels for $50? Its because subscriptions are not growing fast enough because most simply can't afford to, myself included.

FTA television and a better, reasonably priced NBL.TV product is needed to avoid losing the casual fans again.

Are the NBL seriously thinking about going down the pay-tv path again? Something about lightning striking twice springs to mind.....

Reply #510503 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd go with 7MATE and NBL.tv through someone other than PERFORM at a cheaper rate.

One thing I'm find disconcerting is that there is absolutely no talk from anybody about a league major sponsor... Can we please get one so these 'self sufficient clubs' can actually have more money in their coffers!
I'd like to see Virgin or someone already associated with the league step up and take a bigger role

Reply #510505 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd go with 7MATE and NBL.tv through someone other than PERFORM at a cheaper rate.

One thing I'm find disconcerting is that there is absolutely no talk from anybody about a league major sponsor... Can we please get one so these 'self sufficient clubs' can actually have more money in their coffers!
I'd like to see Virgin or someone already associated with the league step up and take a bigger role

Reply #510506 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the point being missed here is the NBL is aiming for both FTA and Pay TV, which would be a superb outcome. If they go down the NBL.TV route again I think it has to be free so you can actively attract new fans with that medium rather that just service the small number of converted.

Reply #510511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason that Foxtel IMO are dropping their process is because of the entry of Netflix, Presto, Stan and other streaming services. They have arguably newer products and at $10 / month a lot cheaper than Foxtel offerings. Sport being the exception.

Reply #510512 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Paul as it, the new deal needs FTA TV coverage with Foxtel complimenting it, it extends viewing potential for those who want to go to their mates place (who has Foxtel) and make a night of it!

Do you guys think Foxtel has hurt the A-League?

We don't have the pull cricket has, to create a new competition like Big Bash out of nothing and have it all over the TV, we must be more savvy and find dollars from somewhere just to survive until we can build the NBL...

Reply #510513 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Foxtel rely on sport for Subscriptions...with the download/streaming era upon us the movies/TV show channels don't bring in revenue.

A perfect world would see a split deal between Foxtel/FTA so every single game is broadcast every week.

It is crucial to be on FTA to help engage the casual fan, however most people have foxtel and its only $50 a month but it doesn't drive foxtel subscription so not sure foxtel will throw a lot of money at it.

Personally I'd love a 7mate or OneHd double header Friday night....1 east coast game straight into the Perth game so basketball is on from 7pm to 11:30pm every Friday night so you might grab the casual FTA fan and really only compete with the A-League on SBS in terms of sport.

Reply #510514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is a hint for those who can't afford Foxtel. Do you smoke, drink, gamble or hire DVD's?

These and other items you could limit or abstain from could bring your budget into surplus, then you could consider Foxtel with a minimum package that includes sport (yes and kill the NBL.tv subscription while you are at it too...)!

Reply #510515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"however most people have foxtel "

No they don't.

Reply #510517 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon...if you like sports you have Foxtel!

It is very affordable at only around $50 a month....

Reply #510521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what? Most people don't have Foxtel. You said it yourself that it won't drive subscription so they won't throw much money at it.

Its great for the sportsfan but bad for the league.

Reply #510522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But I bet you know someone that has!??

Reply #510524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do. I also know someone who has got FTA - me!

Reply #510525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then you are one of about 99% of the population, congrats!

Reply #510527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As opposed to the 30%-ish (and dropping) of the population with Foxtel.

Reply #510529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel is a dying beast with Netflix and all that coming in.

Reply #510532 | Report this post

jodiechrist  
Years ago

I avoid foxtel like the plague. It's been incredibly expensive up until recently, and I don't see why Murdoch should get any more money.

Instead I do online subscriptions to the sports I want to see, as well as FTA, and quite enjoy going and sports broadcasts at the pub for big clashes (in any sport).

Reply #510534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im lucky and have foxtel, love it as I can watch all the sport I like and its heaven in footy season. I agree though it does limit the potential audience but back when it used to be live on foxtel I used to watch alot of games on a friday or mainly saturday night as it was live. Now being on at 9.30 on a friday night is unfortunate as it is too late IMO or I am usually busy on a sunday. The NBL needs to aim for prime time and live games or at latest a 30 min delay. someone suggested 7mate, even GEM or GO possibly? Who knows? but TV coverage brings in much needed sponsorship and if you have foxtel paying for the rights, would be very hard to ignore.
Bring back steve carfino and andrew gaze commentating with brett maher!

Reply #510536 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Its great for the sportsfan but bad for the league."

How could having some games that wouldn't otherwise be on TV shown on Foxtel be bad for the league?

Foxtel is now in 2.6 million households (which is around 34%) plus has decent reach with key sports viewing demographics through venues. A split deal would be perfect for the league.

Reply #510538 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

*That should read 33%, fat fingers.

Reply #510540 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If FTA don't want to pay for the product the NBL might not have a choice did anyone think of that?

What if due to production costs no network is really wanting to get involved?

Reply #510542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, I stand corrected. A mix of FTA and Foxtel would be ok, if the FTA is at least improved on the current coverage. I was commenting along the lines of the coverage being predominantly Foxtel, and I think that is a backwards step, despite fans possibly being treated to more televised games.

Reply #510544 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

Don't assume people can afford it. And don't be so ignorant that you assume that everyone drinks and smoke so if they didn't they could. Seriously... Families are finding it increasingly difficult with cost of living food, sport and health care costs and the singles, DINKS and DIWK think it is all easy. We don't holiday but love our basketball so budget paying off our NBL club membership and NBL tv as our entertainment and watch FTA. We use the library internet to watch Nbl tv to cut costs. $50 a month would go towards school shoes 3 a year due to wear and growth, sports uniforms, equipment, fees and transport. Just can't afford it and I am not well enough to work.

Ignorant Nuff Nuff

Reply #510545 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@ #510544, fair call.

Reply #510547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel provided the best coverage, free to air treat itt like dirt. Stop being haters because you don't subscribe to it, if you are a sports fans foxtel is a must so it suits NBL coverage.

Reply #510578 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I have a subscription to Sportsbet, that's kind of the same...

Reply #510632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#578 loves Foxtel even more since he found out the pin code for the parental control.

Reply #510634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Foxtel provided the best coverage"

My arse they did, remember their BT & Dwayne Russell commentary middle finger to the league in the NBL's last year with Fox?

FTA is the only sane & logical way to go but if they're not interested games on Fox is preferable to being totally hidden away on nbl.tv only!

Reply #510640 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

FTA television is in pretty much every Australian home that has a TV. Foxtel is in 33% of Australian homes. Put all NBL games on pay-tv and you're cutting 67% of your potential audience in one hit. Then you have to factor in those who subscribe but have no interest in basketball, let alone the NBL.

Like its done with the NRL, I wouldn't have a problem if the NBL was shared on FTA and Foxtel, with FTA at least keeping the Friday night and one Sunday game. But I wouldn't have it all on Fox because you kill off most of the potential audience.

Soccer is without a doubt the highest profile team sport in the world and the A-League can easily live on pay-tv. For fan support in Australia basketball generally runs behind Aussie rules, cricket, rugby league, soccer and rugby union. There isn't yet enough fan support for the NBL to survive with all games being shown on Foxtel, especially when only about 1/3 of the country actually subscribes.

Reply #510645 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

But in a hypothetical where Fox were offering good money to be the exclusive broadcaster you have to weight the promotion that can be done with that money with the extra reach a particular FTA channel might have.

If their second tier sport doesn't rate better than Fox Sports', and you're taking a significant financial hit to be on FTA, maybe in the short term it's worth using the money to build sustainability and awareness?

Reply #510650 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The avg wage is about $75k so on avg people can afford to have foxtel if they manage correct budget and don't overstretch on morgagees.

@Anon 510545 - Healthcare in Australia is free and esp to those who are "struggling"

Head to another country and you'll get what struggling really is....#firstworldproblems

Reply #510654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ideally we would like to see 2 games per week live on FTA and the rest live on FOX Sports and still have NBL.tv (Free for season ticket holders)

Reply #510655 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can afford Foxtel but NBL or no NBL, I wouldn't want Foxtel in my house.

Reply #510657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, let's encourage people to downsize their family homes and get rid of their private health insurance just so they can sign up for Foxtel!!

Not that I can't afford Foxtel either, but I'm not taking financial advise from Tiger Watcher.

Reply #510662 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I can afford Foxtel but NBL or no NBL, I wouldn't want Foxtel in my house."

Is that an ideological bent?

Reply #510675 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Its amusing that ppl always sook about cost of living pressures etc..I can't afford foxtel etc but I hardly pay any Tax due to the family tax benefit and I get free health care!

FTA/Foxtel is key for the game moving forward the other major key is we need the corporates back at games, that is what makes every other sport stronger than the NBL corporate fats cats and the cash they bring via boxes/courtside dining and drinks.

Reply #510684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Its amusing that ppl always sook about cost of living pressures etc..I can't afford foxtel etc but I hardly pay any Tax due to the family tax benefit and I get free health care!"

Is that your personal situation or are you summarising the "sooking" that you see from others?

Reply #510692 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, few reasons:

- not keen to have more TV options in the house where most of it is trash
- don't want to reward pay TV that then throws ads into the mix on top of the subscription
- not interested in more money heading to Murdoch
- excuse to go and watch games with a friend at the pub

If I were choosing, and the 36ers kept improving their admin, I'd be more inclined to get season tickets again rather than pay for Foxtel.

Reply #510700 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fair enough. If I wasn't in footy coaching I wouldn't have it either (Fox Footy is too good a resource not to have) but if they were showing all NBL games with good coverage I'd be all over it.

Reply #510702 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon - I'm not the one sooking about foxtel being expensive I think it is priced very well!

Reply #510724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was asking if you are the one who doesn't pay tax and gets free health care, or if you are saying that is what other people say.

I don't think its expensive - I just don't think its good value for money. There are other options for me to be able to watch what I want, when I want. If the NBL had a reliable steaming service, Foxtel wouldn't even be in the discussion right now.

Reply #510727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher - can't agree with you enough.

What is it with Aussies and their aversion to pay tv yet they will piss money on anything else with no problems at all. mind boggling

Reply #510732 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Anon #510727 - what you said is pretty much what most (myself included) think about Foxtel. Its just not good value for money.....and to add to that, as Isaac said - most of it is trash and why would you also pay for ads?

If the AFL announced tomorrow that they were dumping their FTA coverage and showing all future games on Foxtel...then after the public had their cry about it, people would subscribe and it would end up in most Aussie homes. If the NBL did the same thing it would barely cause a ripple.

Personally (and I did have Foxtel in the past so I know something of what I speak), I won't subscribe to them again until such time as I can choose which individual channels I want rather than choose packages where well over half the channels would never see the light of day in my home. To me that is money wasted.

Like I've said, a share of the NBL between FTA and pay-TV wouldn't be a bad thing - provided that the FTA coverage didn't get the raw end of the stick.

Reply #510740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If the NBL had a reliable steaming service, Foxtel wouldn't even be in the discussion right now."

Absolute rubbish.

NBL.tv adds nothing in terms of sponsorship. Only the die hardship have it and see it.

FOXTEL would expose the games (that are not being telecast now) to an extra 2.6 million viewers.

It will add Sponsorship dollars.

A mix of FTA, FOX Sports and NBL.tv is the way to go

Reply #510824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel basic is now affordable @ $25 pm. Add Sport and its DOUBLE. $50 p.m.
Unless you are a keen sports fan I wont pay that just to watch NBL. FTA has enough AFL games for me if I can be stuffed watching them. The other sporting events, meh.

Reply #510826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you won't get Foxtel if NBL goes over to it all that means is you aren't that much of a diehard NBL fan. Doesn't prove anything. So many mouthbreathers on this forum it's incredible!

Reply #511130 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Could also mean they aren't swimming in money

Reply #511131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats a mouthbreather?

Reply #511167 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754