Townsville (A)
Cairns (A)
Breakers (A)
Kings (H)
Taipans (H)
Breakers (H)
Sixers (A)
Townsville (H)

We've had the Hopman Cup in Perth, which is why there could be no home games over that period, but not sure why a few more away games could not have been scheduled. Now they have 5 games in 12 days, (including 3 Away games in 6 days) which is just ridiculous.

Perth's lack of bench depth is going to be sorely tested. They NEED a body to replace Knight, they need Hire back playing quality minutes, and they need U'U to recapture his earlier shooting form. Running their 6-man rotation is nolonger an option.

Given the condensed nature of this schedule, these games will make or break their season.

They have every reason to be confident against Melbourne. On paper they are still a better team, they're at home, and their poor defensive effort against Adelaide shouldn't be repeated. It's no certainty, but as I said; confident.

Townsville will be tough with only two days rest. This game could really set the tone for the remainder of this schedule. If they can't bounce back for their 2nd game, then they're going to be dead by the end. That said, Townsville are a weaker team, and the Cats should be able to win.

Cairns the following night. To be honest, the Cats might as well not bother. This would ordinarily be a tough game, but as their 3rd in 4 days its a joke. The only interest is how much the score blows out, in the unlikely event that Perth & Cairns finish tied for 2nd and need to go to the points split.

The NZ game will be a good measure of where the Cats are at. They will be pushing uphill to win in Auckland. What's more they will need to keep a little in the tank for The Kings.

Sydney in Perth will show how well the Cats have managed their personnel in the preceding game(s).
It should be a win for Perth.

They then stay at home, with a 5 day break before playing Cairns. This will be an epic game, and could go either way.

Things ease up schedule wise, with a 9-day break before taking on NZ in Perth. Conceptually, this is the toughest road-trip for The Breakers, but that didn't stop then hosing Perth in the season opener. Could go either way.

Perth then travel to Adelaide. I know 36's fans would like to pencil this one in, but the only thing we know for sure is that it could go either way.

Then back home to take on Townsville. The great thing about this game is that it could still shape the finals. With both teams coming off a two day break, Perth will be confident of victory.

2 more wins COULD be enough, 3 SHOULD be, 4 will practically guarantee a finals berth. There's a lot of games that could go either way, but I see enough opportunities to be confident. It will certainly be an interesting couple of weeks.

Topic #36279 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Not sure why you're so confident against Melbourne.

The 3 games thus far have shown there's very little in the matchup.

And as you yourself said, Wildcats have a lack of depth atm. And one advantage they had against Melbourne- size, rebounding, low post- has been diminished by the loss of Knight.

Reply #510447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still maintain what I said in the other thread about Adelaide vs Melbourne for that 4th place, that Perth are a very real risk of dropping past both of them. That was largely based on the tough run home shown above. Perth playing some very average ball right now IMO.

Reply #510462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a very big game Wednesday night - if Melb win they go to 11-10 and Perth 12-8 and that would also give Melb the split over Perth. Looking for McCrae to have a big game after the shocker he had against NZ - GO UNITED!

Reply #510463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion Perth will make the four but it won't be easy without Knight. If they win against Melbourne they are definitely in but it won't be easy as Knight was the difference against Melbournes soft big men in the first match. Winning against Melbourne will take the pressure off.
Their schedule is definitely brutal but swings and roundabouts due to other teams having to travel there - Lets hope this stops the whinging about Perth having an unfair advantage with Marvin etc and I am a neutral.
The 3 road games after Melbourne would be the worst possible matchups for them as Townsville, Cairns and Breakers have the best frontlines in the league. So I would be going at Jervis, Redhage and Wagstaff big time with those teams as I can't see Perth being able to stop Conklin, Trigger, Burston, Ibekwe etc,

Reply #510471 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@LV,

He's probably confident because its also a key game for Melbourne too ;)

Reply #510518 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

Has anyone heard any rumors if they are still going to replace Matty Knight? And if so, who with? I already know about Grueber, Prue etc.. but just seeing if any one else has heard anything? They definitely need a quality big man replacement! Shame Perth couldn't nab DJ

Reply #510523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah such a shame so many fans would've wanted to see Perth get DJ.... said no one outside of WA ever!

Reply #510579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ hahaha so true

Perth's run is over, forget about 'em

Reply #510584 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Not sure why you're so confident against Melbourne."

I say "confident" only in the sense that I think they will win, but it is by no means a lock. It will be a tough game, and could conceivably go the way of the Adelaide game. I am counting on Perth getting their D working.

Reply #510592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth better bloody win, loathe them up with a needle to the eyeball but the 36ers need United to lose a few more now!

Reply #510593 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Sportsbet have got the Cats at $1.40 with United $3.00
They're a lot more confident in the Cats' chances than I am! We'll try to do the right thing by the 6ers though, just like we did the other night ... good sports that we are ;)

Reply #510615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most fans in WA wouldn't know who DJ is

Reply #510617 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

DJ has made a life, friendships, partner and a house in Adelaide after spending so many years there. Like many youth and young adults they leave home and find a new place to settle and make plans as they explore life away from home and pursue their dreams. Those are the years you establish friendships with like minded people rather than incidental relationships. Childhood and family friends are doing the same and not everyone returns home. Good luck to DJ.

Reply #510619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^sounds like a wedding sermon

Reply #510620 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Available for a cost. I do obituaries too.. Looking forward the end of season one !!!

Reply #510635 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"DJ has made a life, friendships, partner and a house in Adelaide"
What has this gushing of drivel got to do with Perth?

Reply #510642 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not a great start.
I think they're good enough to beat Townsville, not withstanding the short recovery.
But beyond that things are looking bad, wheels haven't come off completely, but they're looking wobbly!

Will be interesting to see how their season ends. Still a lot of potential, but at the moment they are woeful.

Reply #510889 | Report this post

Blitz101  
Years ago

Gleason said in a press convo that the are unlikely to replace knight as a few they spoke to wanted multiple year deals, I'd say that DJ may have ended up at the cats if they had spoken to him like Maher said they had and where able to sign him for next year

Reply #510890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth need to win vs Townsville. IF Melbourne and Adelaide both win this week they're in trouble.

Reply #510898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats backloaded their schedule. They had a lot of say in what they wanted fixture wise with Marvin influence yet basically have fkced themselves. lol

also their record for 2014 portion with the spaced out games and relatively weak strength of opponents is pathetic. wouldn't be surprised if they fall out of the top 4 if sixers keep momentum and united improve

Reply #511002 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Nice conspiracy theory there chump. Their schedule was based a lot on availability of the Arena. The last 3-4 weeks it has not been available due to the Hopman Cup and the Arena is booked out most weekends.

Reply #511013 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Wildcats backloaded their schedule. They had a lot of say in what they wanted fixture wise"

Oh yes, obviously Perth ASKED to play 5 games in 12 days, (including 3 Away games in 6 days) at a time when teams would anticipate the cumulative effect of injuries.

Other Fans may well get jealous of the Perth Arena, but it is also the dedicated venue for the Hopman Cup, and basically the only concert venue in Perth (if you want to sell more than a few thousand tickets.) In the coming weeks we have Roxette, The Eagles, Guy Sebastian, and something called the Doctor Who Symphony.
I imagine that the Cats would have been happy to play more AWAY games whilst the Arena was unavailable, but as it is, their run home was 6-4 and I suppose other teams would have complained if they'd had even more home games.

Reply #511040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but in the past Cats actually front loaded their schedule to play a lot more before Hopman Cup, i.e. more road games. then the second half was cruisier. This time they changed it the other way around

do you ppl follow the league or just have a two second memory?

Reply #511121 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

you sir..... are an idiot! You do know how a draw works right ?

Reply #511132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

keep ignoring my point about previous season schedules. moron.

Reply #511135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Cats were naïve in taking it easy during the first half of the season with it being condensed to 20 rounds now. Have a look at how the first few months were constructed for them, even during Christmas/NY had it structured so they had the longest time compared to any other team off to have a holiday.

Reply #511139 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Last season: 14 games before the new year, 14 after
This season: 17 games before the new year, 11 after

Reply #511140 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

your point does not make sense.....your point is that the wildcats had a say over which teams they want to play and when they are scheduled. That's not how a draw works.

Reply #511141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prior to this seasons Hopman Cup period, the Cats played 8 home games and 7 away.

Last season, it was 6 home games and 7 away.

The only reason the Cats played more away games in the 2012/13 season at the beginning was because there were delays in having the Arena ready on time.

Train is correct, you're an idiot.

Reply #511143 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon : As Dunkin' Dan points out last season Perth played 50% of their games after the xmas/Ny break as opposed to 39% of their games this season. Do you have anything to enforce your argument apart from dribble.

Reply #511144 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon #1143 my last post wasn't directed at you obviously lol ;)

Reply #511145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No thats ok Train, I'll choose a username one day, at the very least to not be associated with this other anon who has gone full retard in this and other threads of late. So stupid.

Reply #511148 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754