Jack Toft
Years ago

R16: Kings v Sixers

The NBL excitement continues today with the Kings hosting the Sixers. The Kings have been inconsistent this season, but broke the Breakers in Auckland earlier in the round. In fact they didn't break them they smashed them into little pieces - to do that in Auckland is something that is as hard as finding an honest politician with a brown paper bag.

The Sixers have had a revival and the inclusion of a jet-lagged DJ on Friday night has got Sixers fans salivating live Pavlov's dogs. All Joey needs is a little bell. They have both spinnakers out at the moment chasing a finals spot.

This game deserves to be telecast. While Sydney have a slight chance of finals (about as slight as me wearing a Wildcats top signed by Shawn Redhage), it is the Sixers who really need to get the win to keep their momentum. Every possession will be crucial and every shot must drop. This will be one hard fought game and the Sixers will need the Sixers Fan Roadtrip to be as loud as they can. I'ld like to know if Dean is looking after Brett, or Brett looking after Dean...

For the Kings, Childress is in fine form and leading the charge. Tommy Garlepp has a heart the size of an ox, and Madgen can turn a game with a couple of shots. Let's not forget teen heartthrob Jason Cadee who can provide that umpff off the bench as well.

The Kings are 2-0 with a +14 split on the Sixers at the moment. Lose this one and you would think the Sixers can start planning for next year as they wouldn't want to have another team with the split over them.

This will go down to the wire, but Sixers have the firepower to win all positions and that is why I think the Sixers will catch the Kings and get this road win. Sixers by 3.

Topic #36314 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Game day Sunday sees two hungry teams fighting for the fourth and final playoff spot as the NBL regular season dies down. A loss for either team, but especially Sydney, will likely mean the end of their season as the chase to leapfrog fourth placed Melbourne intensifies.

Adelaide in the box seat for this one IMO. Should win by 7.

Preview: Kings and 36ers battle to keep season alive

Reply #511496 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

My heart says Adelaide but my head says Sydney.

Reply #511503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My head says Adelaide too tall too much fire power now and clicking. Sydney, although playing very well in NZ, haven't been consistant throughout, if they have a 5min spell where they struggle, Adelaide have the talent to choke hold them.

36ers by 10.

Reply #511505 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide's defence has to get after the Kings guards and the 36ers need to be relentless on the glass. This game will likely be decided by which team gets the most run from their defence.

Reply #511506 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sydney by 8

Reply #511507 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Adelaide are too strong upfront and should win by 7

Reply #511509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't a 36er blowout win just be nice! Just a nice 25 point win to send a message.

Reply #511513 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Sydney will certainly fancy their chances today after they smashed NZ on the road.

I was unable to watch that game but see today's game as a very close contest with little margin for error.

Hopefully the umpires are in good form and don't influence the outcome with inconsistencies.

To win we will need Joey to keep Wilson playing the team game and not slip backwards to his old ways and he will need to be spot on with match ups and rotations. Schencher to have a few more minutes of Crawford's time.

For me Sixers to win in a great game.

(blowout would be great)

Reply #511515 | Report this post

SIXERS147  
Years ago

Sixers will be too strong but the NBL haven't done any favours to Adelaide, playing in Perth Friday, then back home Sunday, then in Woolongong Friday and Sydney on Sunday. Tough run, so need to get off too a good start as we may get tired.

Reply #511516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go Sixers+United combo :)

Reply #511518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendrick Perry four fouls already, not the brightest player

Reply #511520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turn on the coverage and D Joyce is playing the point. thanks kings lol gg

Reply #511522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Smith being inducted as the 11th player into the Kings legends.

Reply #511523 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Sixers playing some of the best defence I've seen all season. Moving their feet and rotating beautifully.

Reply #511524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers up 20+ pts, wow so excited we look like an awesome team now.

Reply #511525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin While 11pts in 6mins of the fourth quarter, BEAST MODE! Will there be a thread?

Reply #511530 | Report this post

Sixers147  
Years ago

Perth fans now shaking in their boots. 2 games behind Perth and Perth have a tough run including nz away loss Adelaide away loss. Cairns home loss nz home loss may scrape with wins over Townsville and Sydney giving them 14 wins.

Sixers played Friday and showed no sign of fatigue with 2 games in 3 days. Perth blame travel and playing game in Townsville as collapse.

Face it, wildcats not good enough and don't deserve a finals spot.

Reply #511531 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Mitch Creek must have been working hard on his shooting. Before this year his jump shot and free throws were very hit and miss, but this year he's been a lot better.....3 point shots aside.

Adelaide with a 28 point lead with at 3/4 time. I think NZ, Cairns and Perth will be hoping like hell that Melbourne keep the 36ers out of the playoffs.

DJ seems to have come back a better defensive player than he left.

Reply #511534 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Sixers147 - I think you will find it was 3 Games in 4 days . Wed, Fri, Sat. Fatigue was always going to play a factor in!the 3rd game.

Reply #511536 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Perth will make it, they just had a very tough run in the past week. And they should get Matt Knight back at some point which will make them a better team.

Realistically, after Adelaide's big win today its out of Melbourne and Adelaide for 4th spot because you can forget any slim chance Sydney had. I just hope Townsville can pull off an upset over Melbourne tonight.

Reply #511537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people believe that when a player comes back from injury he will be 100% ready to go. That's crap. Knight may come back soon but match ready, far from it.

Reply #511539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People on social media complaining about one sided officiating and using the foul count as proof.

The 36ers really attack every possession and actually get past their man a lot of the time leading to help and the defense playing catch up.

Most of Madgen, Garlepp and Childress's drives today were just into their own player and hoping to draw contact and get a call.

When Joyce was on the floor they were also driving into his man as they weren't going within 15 feet of Joyce.

Joey put in a really good defensive plan to get the ball out of the hands of Childress and make lesser players beat them.

He also made it a point on offense to attack the Kings starters with suspect backups.

Reply #511540 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Never said Knight would come back 100% fit and match ready. But having him in the lineup, be it starting or from the bench, will make Perth a better team. Knight plays well above his height at centre and the Cats do miss his efforts in the paint when he's out injured.

Reply #511542 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Sixers147, any team that loses 7 in a row doesn't deserve a finals spot.

Reply #511544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson Sting, any team that loses 7 in a row AND still makes the playoffs definitely seserve it. C'mon now your better than that!

Reply #511545 | Report this post

Sixer147  
Years ago

Wilson sting, 27-6 in the last quarter, how can a team seriously be in contention with a quarter like that. Sixers deserve finals even though they lost 7 in a row and remember, Mitch creek was injured, wilson too was injured and Brock motum only just joined the team.

Reply #511546 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@sixers147 - now who's making excuses

Reply #511547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

End of the day Adelaide, deal with it.

Reply #511548 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well you'd have to think that's season dead and buried for Sydney, whilst Adelaide maintains their late run. What's that, FIVE in a row now?
Keeping the season interesting!

Reply #511549 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

5 away wins at that!!! Atleast the championship isn't a 2 horse race this year.

Reply #511550 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

It was a one-horse race last year.

Reply #511551 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Pleased for Kevin White who must be praying for a 9th/10th spot in 15/16. Confidence has been shot. Career high 14 points.

Madgen padding the stats with his last quarter.
A regular occurrence. Still not an NBL leader,
never will be. Not sure if Garlepp has what they need either. Together it doesn't work. The team never put first. Not much choice in that group.

Joey outcoached the Kings. A clean cut job, both teams second game in 3 days, no advantage.

The right teams are battling it out for the 3rd and 4th spots. Finals should be sensational stuff.

Reply #511553 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Sixer147 for the record it was a 31-6 last quarter :)

I just live in this fantasy world where I think the best teams over the course of the entire season deserve the playoff spots.

Sure Perth are having a bad run but they've still got a great lineup and IF Knight gets back in and they have a bit of a rest they'll finish the season strong (that's a big IF Knight gets back in, with his history I have my doubts).

Reply #511554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah a definite fantasy world, sport isnt always fair and any team in any code who has won the majority of their games will make the finals. If they dont, then they didnt win enough games. Perth may not make it, and it'll be because 4 other teams have won more games, hence they deserve it. perth need to fight like every other team, problem for them is they have no fight left. No time for IF's at this stage of the season.

Reply #511561 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pretty awesome display by Adelaide, all the pieces clicking, a scary proposition if they make finals.

I loved how Wright went from the Schenscher, Johnson, Motum,Creek, Wilson line-up to Motum, Creek, Teys, Gibson, Daly. It's one hell of a versatile team.

Reply #511564 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Sydney won the last period 30-21, though I think by that time Adelaide had definitely taken the foot off the accelerator. If we had kept up the same defensive intensity we saw in the 3rd I think the Kings would have struggled to score 70 for the game, let alone the 86 they did score.

There didn't look much in the Childress injury, but it doesn't have to look bad for it to be bad.

Madgen scored 10 of his 24 points in the last 3:42 of the game when the Kings had nothing to play for but pride on their home court.

Adelaide easily won the rebounds 40-25. 14 of our rebounds came from the bench, Schenscher had a game high 10 while DJ had 4. Sydney's starters combined for a grand total of 14 rebounds.....

You would have to think that Mitch Creek a candidate for the NBL's Most Improved Player award this year. Isn't it good to see what he can do when he's given minutes and is relatively injury free.

Reply #511567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was gonna say that the Kings will never be considered a contender as long as they have two offensive black holes in Joyce and White on their roster, so of course White decides to go off for 14 lol.

But seriously they have legitimately zero cover for Childress at the 3 spot, which in turn puts too heavy a burden on him on both ends of the floor. That coupled with Perry not having the sort of scoring dynamism you'd expect from an import point guard has hurt them dearly.

Reply #511575 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

MELBOURNE LOST TO TOWNSVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #511605 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Adelaide came into Sydney tonight, ready to play and cement their status as the only other team competing for that 4th spot in the playoffs. The Kings on the other hand, looked like a team that lacked motivation, despite there still being plenty to play for. The final score of 105-86 and Adelaide adding another win to their tally doesn't show just how one-sided this game really was.

Undersized Kings Struggled Against 36ers Bigs

Reply #511638 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Another bonus for Adelaide was Johnson getting a run against a seriously sub-par frontcourt to get some confidence back.

Reply #511649 | Report this post

SO  
Years ago

Hi. Surprised no one has noted the unbelievable disparity in the two team lineups. Apart from Childress, there isn't one current Kings player who would get in the Adelaide team. The Adelaide bench is at least as good as the Kings first five. Not a good look for the NBL when you have two such seriously mismatched teams. If the Kings want to be serious contenders they need to recruit some decent Aussie talent and not over rely on an (admittedly great)ex NBA player in Childress. Very disappointing game to watch, unless you are a diehard 36er fan.

Reply #511666 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ben Madgen would make the 36ers team and so would Jason Cadee, ahead of PC and Daly. But yes, Adelaide have one of the most talented line-ups in NBL history and the Kings are building for the future.

Reply #511667 | Report this post

SO  
Years ago

Boomers bosses obviously wouldn't agree with you. Picked PC above Madgen and others for a spot at the London Olympics.
How can anyone seriously criticise Cotter's coaching given the team that he has. to my mind he is doing a good job as a rookie coach with a sub-standard team.

Reply #511672 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That selection was in 2012, that's a long time ago now.

Reply #511679 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Sportsbet had this nearly split, so I don't think Sydney are THAT bad SO. Remember they beat the league leading Breakers a few days earlier. The 36ers were great yesterday it all clicked, but to say the Kings don't have a good team is a bit off. Remember they are missing a big too.

Reply #511682 | Report this post

SO  
Years ago

Kings only beat the Breakers as latter were absolute rubbish plus decided to go to war with the referees. No guide to anything.
If Childress doesn't come back next season they have almost nothing left. So much for building for the future. As I said very worrying for NBL. Feel sorry for the coach.

Reply #511684 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sydney have beaten NZ twice, one of only two teams to do so. They have also beaten Cairns and Perth, and every other team except Melbourne, who they played without Childress and then in his first game back from injury.

Really, they are one solid Aussie and a good replacement for Perry off being a very good team as Brandt, Ellis and Cadee will keep getting better. Just as an example:

Brandt/Duinker
Garlepp/Ellis
Childress/White
Madgen/Steindl
McKee/Cadee

Reply #511686 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Kings are bringing in an new import for the rest of the season. Stay tuned...

Reply #511693 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I was impressed with Garlepp. He's improved and has a lot of upside. They don't have a lot of frontcourt depth though and were exposed by what it a big Adelaide frontline.

A pretty complete game by the Sixers though. 17 is getting a bit high as far as turnovers go, but that'd be nitpicking.

Reply #511695 | Report this post

Hot hot hot  
Years ago

If Gibson went to brissy then give his money to Madgen for this

1. Wilson
2. Madgen
3. Creek
4. Motum
5. DJ

Reply #511697 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

What paul said. So your over reacting to one blow out loss.

Reply #511698 | Report this post

SO  
Years ago

Hi. Not over-reacting. Kings were almost as bad in previous home loss to Crocs. Kings have:
- No depth, terrible bench. As soon as they lose a key player like Brandt, they are stuffed. White and Joyce wouldn't get a gig in any other NBL team. Duinker not good enough.
- Second import who doesn't belong in the SEBL.
- Over-reliance on flaky shooter in Madgen. Will shoot great in one game and then miss every shot in the next.
- Recruitment staff who have no idea (apart getting Childress who probably fell into their lap)
- Can't hold onto their good Aussie players.
However do agree that Garlepp is big improver and a keeper (+ maybe Cody Ellis and Cadee).
Also this is on top of their biggest problem. Nowhere to play next year when the Ent Centre is knocked down.

Reply #511699 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

When fit there team is pretty darn good. But like in all sports teams, if you lose key players it will effect your win loss ratio. Having Childress out for any games has been huge for them, and same with Brandt to a degree. Its just bad luck with injuries. NZ without Cedirc Jackson would struggle, its sport...

As for the stadium situation etc I have no idea, was just commenting on the initial the stuff abouyt the Kings being bad because they lost to the 36ers. Most team would take a win in NZ this time of year, so not all doom and gloom.

Reply #511703 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on. Consistency is their biggest issue, has been for the Kings since their first season back, when at least they were consistently bad for most of it.

Reply #511713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress has a season ending injury it appears.

Reply #511728 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Everyone is sort of making some good points...

When the Kings are focused and on point like they were in both their NZ wins (I know the Breakers weren't entirely focused in the last one, but still credit to the Kings for putting their foot on their necks to do it by such a margin and not coast) they're very competitive. The main difference between the Kings and other teams is that they need a larger amount of players to be firing... Childress needs to be on song, Brandt/Garlepp/Duinker combo needs to be tearing down boards and taking it to opposing bigs... Madgen has been inconsistent but that can be traced back to him being able to get open from getting enough protection and other players being able to draw defenders away... If we're not scoring inside, there's no reason to collapse on someone to free him up...

Consistency will come when they get a playing group that is both good enough to keep together and happy enough to stick around multiple seasons... Imagine if Khazzouh and Bose were both happy enough to stay multiple seasons under a decent coach? Adding in the players we have now that are worth keeping, it would be a great team to watch...

Import PG / Cadee
Madgen / White
Childress / Bose
Garlepp / Ellis
Khazzouh / Brandt

But a combination of nutbag management, poor coaches, drunk owners abusing the coach during the game, really doesn't help the situation...

So that's left us with an incredibly weak bench, at least one, maybe two starters that should be coming off the bench in a stronger team (Brandt and Cadee), two, maybe three players that shouldn't really be on a team with competitive depth (White, Joyce and possibly Duinker) and an import PG who is ok defensively at times, but you'd think not as good as we need him and given too many chances to be competitive and help the team with little success...

If other teams hadn't improved so much this off-season or by being able to bring back their past team MVP as an injury replacement, this might have been a more competitive team, but other teams HAVE improved more, and gotten a lot bigger, so the better, bigger, more cohesive team won on the night...

Reply #511845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think the rest of the league has improved as much as the hype might suggest. NZ and Cairns have improved, Melbourne and Adelaide (in the second half) are about the same, while Perth, Wollongong and Townsville have declined.

Reply #511847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone looking at the team the Kings put together at the start of the season had them making the finals.

I had them competing for the wooden spoon with the 36ers. I didn't actually think Childress would be so good. I had major question marks over his jump shot and whether a player of his age that has made the money he has made would bring the effort levels every game.

Reply #511848 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Paul - I guess it's a matter of on paper vs reality, as really, I think Melbourne have improved, but would be much better if Barlow lived up to expectations, even Townsville should have a better result than they should have, adding/re-signing more valuable pieces, and now at least Adelaide are much improved, unfortunately...

They all at least made moves that should have turned out well, signing ex-sub-Boomers like Barlow and Kickert, Townsville Steindl and Gladness, resigning Conklin...

The benefit the top teams have is little turnover, as they recruited well in previous seasons, adding only one or two players... Whereas we got White, Joyce and Duinker...

Reply #511852 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"They all at least made moves that should have turned out well, signing ex-sub-Boomers like Barlow and Kickert"

People who followed European ball knew those guys would be solid players but not stars in the NBL.

On paper Melbourne are a little better but they haven't replaced what Morrison gave them nor what Walker gave them last season, hence their rebounding is terrible and their defence susceptible inside.

Reply #511853 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

yeah, fair point, but who was the better signing... Barlow / Kickert or Duinker?

I just hope the latters second year contract is a team option like White and Ellis last season...

Reply #511854 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I imagine Duinker was on a different payscale (I hope so!), but he has definitely got better as the year has gone on. Mind you, he couldn't have gotten much worse than early on!

Reply #511855 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns has been lucky to remain injury free, as opposed to last year when Tragardh missed so much time. Other teams have all had issues with injuries this year.
The Cairns roster is a bit better balanced thank last year, but I still think there are question marks on the coaching.

Reply #511862 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... yeah, I agree that Duinker has improved, getting a couple of shots down low and fighting for rebounds, but at the moment, even though he's the one that is contracted, there's one spot for a back up big other than Brandt, and it's between Duinker and Ellis and right now, if we can get a proper big, I'd go with Ellis... A much more rounded game, still gets after everything, CAN nail it from outside (even though needs some work on it) and has just been 100% hustle for most of this season... even when the game is on the line, he's up and down the court, getting his hands in passing lanes for steals, more blocks than he gets credit for, and I think is definitely a better long term bet...

I know Duinker would have come cheap, but for just one big man, you can't skimp on the price...

Reply #511905 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

All good points. I agree wholeheartedly about Ellis, he and Garlepp are a good PF combo. Perhaps a key here is Brandt making strides in the off-season.

The Kings have shown they can beat good teams with that frontcourt, so I'm actually inclined to say spend the money on improving PG, bringing in a good back-up 2/3 and, of course, bringing Childress back or a quality replacement.

Had this year's team had Ty McKee (as an example) instead of Kendrick Perry they'd be right in the playoff race.

Reply #511906 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, Brandt's growth is definitely key to success down the track... I think part of what can help with that would be to get him a bit more solid and not be able to pushed around a lot (would be great to get someone like Crossy in, I think he could learn a lot from him) but also to take the pressure off a bit, and have him come off the bench behind a top quality Aussie big...

To properly compete, you need multiple options and someone to be able to deliver to those options... I like you're example of McKee, but really, I think Sanders would have been an upgrade on Perry too... Opposition laid off him so often, but he took that and turned it into an advantage, either taking it further inside himself and/or dropping if off to another option... He was all hustle, a proper facilitating PG and was familiar with the team...

I'm still a big fan, if he stays healthy, of getting Markovic back in town... That is, unless all that unrest out West will inspire Damo to ask to leave, perhaps to join the new Kings coach Bevo^ in Sydney, which will free up that import spot which is so often a miss with imports, to get a proper big like we've seen added this season to other teams...

^Not really, just wishful thinking!

Reply #511959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ty McKee has done well since leaving Australia and has played for some big name Euro clubs playing Euroleague and Eurocup. He might salary wise be out of reach of Australian clubs.

I thought the Kings could/should have made a run Rotnei Clarke as Belgium isn't a top tier european league and he would have fitted within what the Kings really needed (a knock down shooter to help spacing with decent ball handling and good in the pick n roll due to his shooting).

Reply #511961 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think it was more the style of player McKee was, more than him in particular...

Clarke would have been perfect, how much he did for that Hawks team was basically how much we relied on JChill lol...

I think he signed in Belgium fairly quickly though, before the Kings were organised...

Reply #511964 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He also said, prior to the end of last season, that he'd never play for Sydney.

Reply #511966 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Since when have the Kings been organised?

Reply #511967 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HOME TEAM
B. Madgen: -15
K. Perry: -11
J. Childress: -28
J. Duinker: -23
T. Garlepp: -12
J. Cadee: -6
C. Ellis: -1
D. Joyce: -3
K. White: 4

ROAD TEAM
A. Gibson: 13
J. Wilson: 21
B. Motum: 19
A. Petrie: 3
M. Creek: 26
L. Schenscher: 14
B. Teys: 12
D. Johnson: 12
T. Daly: -13
P. Crawford: -12

Reply #512545 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754