Anonymous
Years ago

United Debut Year

As the season gets to the pointy end and United looking more likely to miss the playoffs by the day how do we gauge their debut year?

I'm really disappointed and I didn't have unrealistic views of a flawless season but so many areas which continually hold the team back.

Player attitude, coaching and lack of execution in the half court is exactly the same as the Anstey era with McRae the new Goulding.

Dennis showed he was elite prior to the injury and just doesn't play enough as the teams primary PG.

The offseason will see another standard Melbourne swag of sweeping changes and the first chip to fall is Goorjian back.

They need somebody who demands excellence and won't put up with rubbish.

Billy Tomlinson link will see Nate stay but with Dennis contracted and a real need for a genuine centre unless they get an Aussie centre to help Kickert then the two spot looks very bare.

Corletto, Walker, McRae, McMillan all out with likely promotion for Patton is my tip. Odigie has shown progress in sporadic mins although needs to stay healthy and develop offensive game in SEABL this offseason.

Melbourne basketball needs this team to succeed and Goorjian is the only person who can deliver it not in the league presently that is a known commodity.

Topic #36320 | Report this topic

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't think MU will miss the finals. Their run home includes doubles against Hawks and Kings, plus a rematch against The Crocs.
The NBL is great, because on any night any team can cause an upset, but I think there's enough there for them to eak out another 4 wins.

As for what they need player wise, I don't follow their progress closely enough, but I'd suggest that for an import PG, Dennis doesn't give them enough.

As for Goorjian, he's a very divisive character, you either love him or hate him. I've heard nothing to indicate he's on MU's radar?

Reply #511632 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

How many of the roster have played under Goorjian? Just Wortho, I think. I don't think Goorjian will fit the current attitude and roster.

If he could re-start the Tigers with his own squad, that might be different

Reply #511643 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

I think Walker signed a 2year contract at the start of the year. Melbourne need to stop stocking up on 4's and 3's and get a true centre, and not a raw 2nd round draft pick centre so they can say they got an nba player. I reckon a player like mike dunigan who filled in for Matty knight a couple of seasons ago, than Kickett can move back to his normal position as a stretch 4

Reply #511644 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"How many of the roster have played under Goorjian?"

Wortho (Kings, Dragons), Barlow (Kings), Kickert (Boomers).

Reply #511648 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

They definitely need a genuine centre.

Reply #511656 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754