Nobody
Years ago

Childress to stay?

Ongoing talks look good so far. Injury time gives Childress time to consider contract.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/star-import-josh-childress-may-sign-for-another-nbl-season-with-the-sydney-kings/story-fni2u9cl-1227200147860

Topic #36341 | Report this topic

Wookiee  
Years ago

Is that "signing deadline has passed for the Kings" in relation to not having a player play enough games for the playoffs, or is there a hard "you may not sign players after this round" rule? This writer has always been a bit sketchy on details (never lacking enthusiasm, however) but fact checking hasn't been a strong suit... I hope the Kings make the most of this down time and really push the benefits of off court stuff for him as that could most likely be the clincher...

Hell, I'd even get him involved in how he thinks the team could be shaped... Not saying give him the final word, but he's said that he was looking to be a leader on the team, and even just consulting him on player direction could be a good step... I wonder if he's played with any awesome PGs that might like a sea-change? (not a 'holiday' as Perth's Daniels said it was going to be))

Reply #512062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the 75% rule. The NBL are being absolute bastards with the Kings on this. Sydney could potentially bring in another NBA player (the rumour is the guy being looked at would blow people's minds like Childress did) but the league are saying they can't bring anyone in because that person wouldn't qualify for the playoffs.

Complete stupidity from the league on this - do they want their biggest market to just go in the tank the rest of the season?

Reply #512075 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Its not stupidity. The competition has to retain its integrity. If the Kings (or anyone else in a non-playoff position) were to stack their rosters at this point of the season, then it stuffs around the other teams that are playing for a playoff spot.

Reply #512077 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Kind of a pointless transaction for Sydney though.
It really is a waste of money for the Kings as they are unable to make the playoffs, nor would the new import qualify if they did...so perhaps in a roundabout way the NBL is protecting Sydney from themselves?
As a fan I would rather my team save the cash for spending next year.

Reply #512078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Integrity???? BAHAHAHAHA. Ask why Adelaide was allowed to sign Daniel Johnson. The league is a joke. ZERO integrity.

Reply #512080 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

DJ was allowed to sign because he fits under the salary cap and within the points cap

The NBL changed a rule last year that allowed an import to return despite having cut him already.

Reply #512081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No issue with the points cap and DJ. There's another issue between Adelaide and the NBL that should have precluded the Sixers being able to sign him.

Reply #512083 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

The integrity of the League now is far worse under the new owners than the previous BA ran NBL.

Reply #512084 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

What is that issue then?

Reply #512085 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Anyway, the comment about integrity was in response to the 75% rule being mentioned. Introducing other shit while ignoring that response is pretty poor.

Reply #512086 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I can understand there being something in place to prevent teams from sacking a player to bring in an absolute superstar to try to make the playoffs and win themselves a championship, but surely there's a difference between that and having two injured players go down and not being able to replace them with a player of a similar level... It's the same thing that screwed the Kings over when Corin Henry went down, isn't it? I remember having this annoyance previously...

It's not a case of making the playoffs for the Kings or buying a championship, it's a matter of being able to compete at a level that isn't 8 on 10. It's a case of being able to finish the season for the fans and sponsors without getting unfairly blown out nearly every game. TO go even further, you'll be over working existing players, risking possible injury.

Kind of a pointless transaction for Sydney though.
It really is a waste of money for the Kings as they are unable to make the playoffs, nor would the new import qualify if they did...so perhaps in a roundabout way the NBL is protecting Sydney from themselves?
As a fan I would rather my team save the cash for spending next year.

It's not pointless at all... Ultimately, they'll be playing 8 on 10 for the remaining 6 games. This risks getting blown out nearly every game, which will have a negative effect on crowd numbers and can quite possibly a negative effect on being able to draw sponsors for next season, which won't be being played in the CBD at the SEC, so they will have their backs against the wall as it is. Being able to sign a similar level player to Childress will keep interest in the team, help make them competitive and keep interest in the team.

But when you've got owners of competing teams in charge, teams that need to beat the Kings to make their playoff chances more viable, the likelihood of that getting approved is less than me shagging Miranda Kerr (again) :)

There's another issue between Adelaide and the NBL that should have precluded the Sixers being able to sign him.

Which is?

Reply #512097 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Sydney could potentially bring in another NBA player (the rumour is the guy being looked at would blow people's minds like Childress did)

Missed this before... Any hints? How long ex-NBA? Similar position?

Reply #512098 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Being able to sign a similar level player to Childress will keep interest in the team, help make them competitive and keep interest in the team."

Compelling reasons!

Reply #512099 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Compelling reasons!

I'm bound to make a decent point sooner or later, if only by accident ;)

If they wanted to get fancy with it, I'm sure a lawyer could argue that the league preventing the Kings from signing a similar level player will have a detrimental effect to their profit line and make them less viable, etc etc...

Reply #512101 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I understand the Kings reasons for wanting to replace Childress and I agree with them, but there also needs to be an understanding as to why the rule is in place. It comes down to what is more important - helping the Kings in the final few weeks or making sure the other teams vying for a playoff spot aren't unfairly compromised.

Reply #512103 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

And if they do bend the rules for one team, is that setting a precedent?

Reply #512106 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sydney are 3 games out of the 4, with 6 games to go. If they want to go throwing money at an NBA player to finish the season, I say let them.
If it means we can have another Childress level player in the NBL, possibly for next season too, I'd be all for it.
He'd have to be superman to get Sydney into the playoffs, so no real harm done.

Reply #512107 | Report this post

Another way to look at this, aren't the remaining teams that play Sydney advantaged with them not having Childress in the team. If this is a like for like injury replacement, that keeps the competition even.

Reply #512111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't have thought there would be any issue signing a replacement import for the rest of the season.

Isn't the rule they need to play at least 7 games so obviously would be ineligible for the playoffs but so what if they sign a guy for the rest of the regular season?

Reply #512112 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I like the idea of like for like (or worse) for injury replacements. As much as I like seeing DJ back in the league it I believe it was farcical for the league to allow it.

Reply #512129 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Some key points being made:

- unless LeBron wants a working holiday from the NBA, it will, at the very best, be a like for like replacement. Most likely less quality than what we've seen from Childress, you're not going to find someone that averages 21.1ppg, 9.2rpg, 4.2apg and 2.1bpg, but LOSING that, for the Kings, is hugely detrimental.

- Other teams should be worried that teams playing the Kings without a Childress/import level player WILL be greatly advantaged.

- this isn't just about making playoffs, Kings are all but the slimmest of mathematical chances of even making them. If they DO go against the odds, then the import can't play in them. Where's the problem for any other team?

- if the Anon isn't just talking out their butt and the possible replacement is a Childress level quality, how good a chance would this be to actually get another player of his quality in the league and possibly a chance for next season as well?

The potential league benefits, even just for the sake of keeping the Kings at the level that they're at, which would seem only fair (like for like) then what should be the problem?

I don't actually have a problem with the DJ signing... it fits under the points cap and if it indeed fits under the salary cap, then they're well within their rights... I'd like to know what the anon was on about though...

Reply #512133 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

My concern with the DJ signing is that other teams did not have the same opportunity to sign him (or potentially other better players) because they didn't suffer a season-ending injury. It has also denied a development player a chance to step up.

If the whole salary cap and player points is not an issue then ADL should have signed him at the start of the season.

Next we'll have players faking season-ending injuries and getting paid out so their team can replace them with better players as they become available.

I also am curious as to what Anon #083 is talking about.

Reply #512141 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Wilson Sting, you are way off the mark with DJ.
He was contracted to Adelaide for this season but wanted to try and ply his trade in Europe.
Perth were trying to sign him also but he chose Adelaide.

Reply #512150 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Thanks for the clarification Tornado but it doesn't really change my opinion. I'm assuming his contract was cancelled once he left for Europe. Otherwise, did his contract money count towards the salary cap?

He's having his cake and eating it too.

Reply #512156 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I think you're a bit off the mark here, Wilson.

Any team at any stage could have axed a five point player and signed a returning ten, providing they have the other five points up their sleeve.

Its really just fortunate timing for both parties. DJ seems like he had enough of his Euro gig and asked for an out, and the Sixers had a spot for him. Its actually good roster management as well.

He wasn't part of the team at the start of the season so no, nothing he earned would have counted against the cap.

Reply #512159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

make this happen. wow at the nbl who keep knifing themselves at any chance of success in sydney

Reply #512161 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I thought there was some rule about not cutting local players (except imports)? Though the Gruber situation makes me wonder...

Reply #512162 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Not that I'm aware of. NZ and Perth have both done it to Trueman in recent years.

Reply #512163 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wow Wilson your so far off the mark its a worry.

Reply #512165 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm not too concerned, my team on top of the table.

Reply #512168 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, Wilson just has his info confused a bit...

DJ was contracted for this season, but had a Euro-out clause. He exercised that, cancelling his contract with the 36ers. Whatever salary he was on was freed up (probably to give most of it to Motum) same with his points value.

He was free to sign on to any other team, it actually would have been great if the Kings would have noticed that his numbers were really low OS and could have been ripe for a replacement for Brandt. We had the points free and some cap space apparently...

Always easier to go back to where he knows, though...

Anyways... As long as he fits under the caps now, it's all legit...

Reply #512170 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

I hear Metta world peace is not doing much these days

Reply #512335 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"My concern with the DJ signing is that other teams did not have the same opportunity to sign him (or potentially other better players) because they didn't suffer a season-ending injury. It has also denied a development player a chance to step up.

If the whole salary cap and player points is not an issue then ADL should have signed him at the start of the season.

Next we'll have players faking season-ending injuries and getting paid out so their team can replace them with better players as they become available."

Sounds like the humidity is really bad in Cairns this year!

Reply #512355 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

So are they stopping them from signing a player at all or just that he won't be eligible for the playoffs?

They should be able to sign a replacement and get some more interest in their games.
Since they won't be making the playoffs anyway.

Reply #512360 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

To answer that, Aussiebballer, JCHill has posted in the Kings Fans FB page:

The NBL will not allow the Kings to replace me. The ownership tried to go out and get a player who I know personally (ex NBA) but the NBL denied it due to timing.

Reply #512379 | Report this post

imousuck  
Years ago

imo u suck nbl

we really need this in Sydney!

If JChill leaves the chain will be broken. Think about it JChill recruits this guy, who then may promote the league to other players after his experience so even if JChill leaves it continues the word of mouth amongst ex NBAers. Now JChill will probably leave (?) and this guy never got to come out so we are back to square one.

Say what you like about him but it's downright sad the son of a rich owner is the one recruiting the best current talents to the league. These other GMs are a joke. NBL - where daddy buys into a team for jr. then he outrecruits everyone - epic!

Reply #512392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW, why not let him be replaced, look the kings probably wont make the play offs anyway so the 7 game rule wont be an issue, and be clear anyway just say you can sign who you want under the caps to finish the season, but as they cant meet the 7 games then they cant play playoffs if you make it (which they most likely wont)

I say the benefits of letting them sign a ex NBA guy to finish the season, ie potential bums on seats, retaining any interest they have generated for the rest of the season and keeping people interested for next season, they NBA guy may like the NBL and want to stick around, either play with Childress or for another team, which would be huge for the league potentially, what is the downside of letting a non playoff team bring in a NBA callibre import to finish the season?? and keep the fans interested/coming, as lets face it the kings are very average without Childress or a import.

Reply #512419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754