LC
Years ago

Ben Simmons: McDonald's All-American Game

Ben Simmons, the 6'10 forward out of Melbourne, Australia, has been selected to play in the 2015 McDonalds All-American game, becoming the first Australian to achieve such a feat.

Ben Simmons named to 2015 McDonald’s All-American Game

Topic #36345 | Report this topic

Very Old  
Years ago

I wonder if he is on the losing all-star team will he act like he did when hes team almost lost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qZlsPrwhGg

check the magnificent display of genuine appreciation for the efforts of others that is so beautifully shown from the 2.02 mark of this clip

I've always loved the lack of entitlement and superiority that a good USA high school culture can instill into the NBA millionaires of tomorrow.

Reply #512114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Build a bridge ya salty fool

Reply #512117 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

What a petty criticism.

Reply #512126 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@ Very old - Way to pick on a kid!

Hope you enjoy watching him make millions within the next couple of years!

Reply #512134 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

@" Very old - Way to pick on a kid!"

yep, pick on two kids, and both were "losers", and it was not me who did it.

But I have to question your idea that any of the two opposition players who tried to shake Ben's hand and who were just ignored are ever going to make a hundred dollars, much less millions, that bit of film and those moments are the most famous they are ever going to be. I wonder who they will support in the NBA in ten years time.

Willie S on the other hand , would just shake anyone's hand at any time, just a happy bloke anytime of the day or night.

Lets just hope Ben matures to be more like his dad.

Reply #512172 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Willie isn't Ben's dad. Dave Simmons is.

Reply #512176 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Its bedtime, Very Old.

Reply #512178 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Wait, this isn't the first time that Very Nagy has raised this issue...

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/36160-another-huge-simmons-off-the-backboard-dunk/#p508080

Reply #512185 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Beast Mode tall poppy syndrome!

Reply #512194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Old, take a nap you fool. Willie Simmons.........you idiot!

Reply #512220 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

sorry : Uwe Blab

Re : Its bedtime, Very Old.

Uew baby - I'm sure you are REALLY hot - but I have to decline , I'm sorry , I'm just not that into you. ;)))

I notice that the "hate" (?) post are all directed at me, but is anyone game to put up a post supporting this kids behaviour ?

Sure ,as none of you know who I am, you can attempt to humiliate me, say I'm jealous etc , that's par for the course - but the issue is - is this how we want our "sporting heroes" to act in real life , particularly to those "beneath then" who have just (probably) played the best game of their lives and just fallen short at the last second ? Would it not have been great to see him actually sheke their hands and give a proper honest and plain Aussie "good on yer - you were tough today - thanks for the game"

I don't expect this ( I hope) to typify his behaviour for the rest of his life - but Bogut (and A Gaze), if nothing else, typified the type of attitude we ( or at least I) want in young men who get identified with this country,

It would be a shame if Ben ends up more like some of the AFL and NRL "heroes" we have produced for local consumption.

But that is what happens if young blokes never hear any disapproval of their less mature or more disrespectful actions. If all they here are people saying "money and wins are everything - will will forgive you everything if you just give our team/club/city/sport plenty of that"

Bit heavy I know.

Reply #512221 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Anonymous
A few minutes ago
18:50 29 Jan 15

Very Old, take a nap you fool. Willie Simmons.........you idiot!

Ok that explains it a bit , Dave was occasionally a bit more of a self important tosser who liked to push people around a bit, saw both Davis and Crawford settle him down a bit a few times. davis with pure strength and James with a few poster dunks.

Reply #512222 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Probably in a minority here but his arrogance is what will make him the best player Australia has ever had.We have too many 'nice' guys like Delly and Jingles. It's about time some Aussies started being more like Americans and not respecting their opponents. Sure is not an ideal role model for young kids but hey everyone praises Kobe and Jordan for the same thing.

Reply #512223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He obviously has great confidence in his game but all tweets from the games mention how humble and approachable he is so I doubt he doesn't disrespect his opponents.

Reply #512236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't see what Ben did wrong.

He walked off the court talking to a teammate. He had his back turned to the kid from the other team that tried to shake his hand. He has excellent passing vision although I don't think he has eyes at the back of his head.

I recall myself at 17 and I'm glad I didn't have the talent Ben does as I would have been involved in Johnny Manziel type scandals most weeks.

Everything I have seen from Ben indicates that he is a humble, hard working, motivated young kid. Hat tip to his parents for raising the kid with these values.

Reply #512237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The footage "Very Old" posted really doesn't deserve detailed analysis, but there's nothing in it that conclusively proves Ben Simmons is arrogant, immature or entitled. He is looking over at his teammate as the player tries to shake his hand and so doesn't see him as he passes. The teammate he's looking at only gives the player a cursory touch anyway.

It is so stupid and petty to try and castigate a teenager based on the flimsiest of evidence. For all I know he might be as bad as you claim he is, or he might be a pillar of good behaviour and respectfulness. Unless you know him personally it's impossible to really say, but to pretend otherwise is, to use your own words, "immature".

Reply #512240 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Great news, good luck to the boy in the coming All-American game!

Reply #512249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just so you all know, in that instance in the video, Ben high-fives his own teammate. People are claiming that he 'ignored' the opposition but the main course of action in a US high school game is that both teams go to their benches after the game without shaking hands. They then lineup and shake the entire opposing team's hands at once.

I'm not saying the kid isn't arrogant, he may or may not be. But you can't use this instance to bag the kid out, literally every kid in high school baskeball in the US would have done the same, because that's the protocol.

Peace

Reply #512293 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

As above, I'd imagine we missed the post game line so no biggie here. Having met Ben over here I can say he seemed just like any other kid with skills back then, prob a touch arrogant but I guess some may call it swagger. The only real knock I ever heard was from people wanting him to play on the inside and him insisting to play a guard role, but imho it prob served him better as a player.

Reply #512319 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@ Very old is just a hater who doesn't know what he is talking about....

Willie Simmons???...its laughable...is it still school holidays?? Troll!

Reply #512328 | Report this post

RE: VERY OLD  
Years ago

Very Old,

Those players weren't attempting to shake his hand. That's done when both teams line up on the sideline and shuffle past each other, which you can clearly see is about to be done. Different system to the Australian game.

Reply #512340 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I just watched every single video on Youtube. Almost all of them involve people not shaking hands (unless you subscribe to the hand-shaking channel). I think I will start complaining about them more often!

Reply #512341 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Ok, if those players weren't definitely not trying to shake hands or speak with Ben - as it "not the American way" then I'm clearly in error.

I'm still hoping that he did acknowledge their efforts, it would be a shame for the efforts of that team, who clearly no-one had expected to pose any problems to the eventual winners , to be dis-respected.

Reply #512363 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

separate post so easy deletion for "Mod"

and remember you "anon" posters I'm still open to receive some more "hate" posts from you , please don't assume I've joined the ranks of fanboy prepuce hooverers ( or should that be dysoners in this millennium ?).

Those that put usernames to their posts please disregard ;)

Reply #512365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go home very old, you're drunk

Reply #512381 | Report this post

billy holye  
Years ago

Very Old - I totally respect your opinion of Ben Simmons and any other young kid making his way through a level of stardom NO AUSTRALIAN basketball has ever had to deal with.
I would like to point out that in the US every game is finished with shaking hands in a single file line....the coaches and players don't simply seek out each other and shake hands....if you watch the film you will notice the line forming and Ben Simmons at his team mate as the kid from the other team reaches out to shake his hand.
Ben Simmons is gracious and humble and is swamped by fans and kids and media after every game and always spends 30-45 minutes taking photos and signing autographs and talking to people....
Get off your high horse you loser...

Reply #512471 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Oh, but SURELY we can't claim him as Australia since his father was American!?! That's how its supposed to work isn't it???

This must be another Nick Marvin conspiracy to exploit a loophole. LOL

Reply #512608 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754