Satish Dogra
Years ago

Put down your glasses

Actually, no. Pick them up.

Who are the greatest basketballers who wore glasses and/or goggles?

I can't help but think of the Lakers circa 1985 who would have at least THREE four-eyed dudes:

K. Abdul Jabbar (probably the greatest individual glasses-wearing hoopster of all time)
J. Worthy
K. Rambis

Who else is there?

PS Isaac, if you can find and post a pic of the three above-named dudes in the one shot, you will elevate yourself beyond your current status of "legend" to something else. I'm not sure what that "something else" is, but I'll work on it.

(Mod: Hard to make them out, but technically that meets the requirements I think. Actually, found a glasses mural - top that!)

Topic #3639 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac too good!

Reply #42389 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Horace and Harvey Grant??

Reply #42391 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Isaac your status has now become Legend, Pimp, God all in one. Watch out world Isacc's about to take over!!

Reply #42393 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

pfff - easy google

Reply #42398 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

wak - correct.

The rest of you, relax!

Still, how good is that mural of the goggles?

Reply #42407 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Those goggles go off like a fish milkshake in the sun!!

Reply #42411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in the basketball section (pg 50) of today's Courier Newspaper there is a picture of an unknown basketballer in glasses.

(The courier is a Adelaide Hills Newspaper, but can be bought at selected newsagencies in Adelaide, ie. Burnside Villiage Coles.)

Reply #42414 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Isaac,

That is seriously pure, solid, unvarnished 24-carat gold. You are now elevated beyond being a mere webmaster to the much more prestigious..."goldmaster".

I would have loved to have been at the Lakers marketing group meeting which came up with the brainwave of the goggles angle. What were they thinking?

KB, H. and H. Grant are on the money. I'm still baffled how Horace made the Bulls 2-man roster in the original NBA Jam arcade game ahead of Jordan, but I remember the game's designers drew those goggles extra large for our viewing pleasure.

Reply #42417 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think there were issues with contracts and/or sponsorships that prevented MJ from appearing in those early-mid 90's arcade games.

Reply #42418 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Willie Simmons, Antoinne Carr

Reply #42422 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Dr Dunkenstein

Reply #42425 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

That hotel (Hotel Figuero) in Isaac's picture with the "four eye mural is over the road from the Staples Centre and looks directly into the car park... as Satish said, great marketing by the Lakers!

Reply #42427 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

George Mikan! great mural!

Reply #42434 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Sorry did someone mention original NBA Jam arcade :-)
Couldn't help myself isaac

BTW, did any one see MTV Crib's - Shaq's place on the weekend, you would have noticed his arcade collection in the background, none other than NBA JAM - he's still got it baby!! he bought one of the very first ones every made/released.

Reply #42446 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Hakeem
Bo Outlaw

How can we forget the immortal Moses Malone....

Reply #42566 | Report this post

Thurl Bailey
Referee's
Jared Hammond(when it was cool)
BASA Social competition winner shot glasses
Vera Craig
Stooopid training glasses
Michael Jordan - Oakleys
Archer 1am beer goggles
Paul Rigoni
Dr Chek
Dr Naismith
Mark Davis the glass eater

Reply #42604 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Hey Liam,

Call me a novice at marketing, but why would they put up a big mural opposite the carpark of the venue they play at?

You've just come out of the Staples Centre after watching the Lakers play, you're looking for your car, and there's a mural of ... the Lakers. Surely the only people looking at the mural for any length of time would be existing Lakers fans who have already put down their hard-earned to watch the team?

Or am I just way, way off beam here?

PS Thurl Bailey was a great goggles-wearer, BF.

Reply #42613 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We've all just looked at the mural and talked about it, yet I'm sure most of us have never attended a Lakers game. Branding is branding. It's the entire side of a building and a lot of people would see it.

Reply #42614 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

A huge amount of traffic goes past there, and tickets are available at the Staples center near by.

Its a cunning plan.

Roy Tarpley was another great goggles wearer...so much talent, so many issues.

Reply #42618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754