Jack Toft
Years ago

R18: Sixers v Kings

The Kings can't take a trick at the moment, but chin up boys, welcome to Adelaide where the reigning January COTM and POTM will be waiting for you. I iMadgen you'll be happier than Tony Abbott in a room with Malcolm Turnbull.

This is the classic danger game for the Sixers. They have had a great run of late and have demanded a top 4 position with a massive run of wins. The Kings have lurched from disaster to disaster and are out of the race. It's time to plan Mad Monday and the Bali end of season trip. If the Sixers don't focus, then an upset looms. It could get uglier than Bruce Jenner if the Kings have their way.

The key positions will be in the front court. Sydney will find "21 odd foot of grunt" hard to contain and so I would expect them to change their game plan to suit. The Sixers should be out-rebounding the Kings 3 to 1, but Tommy G will be doing his best to make it 1 to 1. Have a Red Bull Tommy, it'll give you wiings.

Sixers should get this one and I'll be disappointed if Atem doesn't get a run. In fact he needs a double run to go with his name.

Topic #36400 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings have no chance here

Reply #513424 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

DJ to have a break out game I reckon - 36ers win.

Reply #513431 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hopefully DJ has had a good training week got some fitness up and can use this one as a spring board. Kings have no chance, will be scrappy and most probably will be an ugly game visually, but 36ers will have more than enough to take care of business.

Reply #513432 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Kobe24, word on the street is that DJ had been trying to fit in and was struggling to understand his role in the team and therefore hasnt approached the games with the same mindset as he did last year. This week the team has bandied around him and told him this is his team (3 x MVP, leading scorer, rebounder, etc, etc) - we want you to be the man! Let's see if that translates into the game?!

Reply #513435 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Hey Guys. Do you ever stop to read the far earlier posts from the front part of the season? (ie the Doom and Gloom for the Sixers). Some posts actually make me laugh out loud.

Reply #513437 | Report this post

SO  
Years ago

If Sixers cannot win this game in a canter by 20 to 25 points, they cannot be serious about the 2015 NBL play off race. Kings are so undermanned it an NBL joke.

Reply #513438 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hey Matthew did you bother to look at the roster at the start of the season compared to the one we have had for under 2 months... face palm!

Reply #513453 | Report this post

Peterjohn  
Years ago

In fairness, Kobe24, Matthew was probably looking at the posts after Motum joined the roster and THAT losing streak was happening! :)

To be honest, seeing how the team is traveling now makes me even more puzzled than I was back then, about how badly the team was going. Thank heavens for the change.

Sixers by 12.

Reply #513458 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Matthew,

Don't mistake the confidence shown in this thread as an indication of our confidence in making the finals. It is a thin veil.

We have enjoyed the Sixers making hay lately but our early season reaping efforts have left the team teetering between a good year and a year of poor return.

Reply #513474 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"This week the team has bandied around him and told him this is his team (3 x MVP, leading scorer, rebounder, etc, etc) - we want you to be the man! Let's see if that translates into the game?!"

I wonder if Jamar and Brock got that memo?

Reply #513480 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I hear you Matthew, but following a sports team is a pretty good way to get frustrations out for a lot of people.

Reply #513484 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Watched the highlights for Jamar POTW and there it is. Jamar being assisted and shooting from all over the place rather than his earlier antics of going at a bunch in the paint. Improvement Plus and now his team looking for him rather than him going it alone every single time, although he is doing that and making better selections or looking for the pass now. Much better, Happy he, the team and Joey changed it up and it is working now with points spreading the floor and more movement. Go Sixers.

Reply #513506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reffing will be interesting tonight. Expecting Smadge to be looking for a late nomination for the Oscars or a job as a stunt double for the next James Bond.

Reply #513507 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"The reffing will be interesting tonight."

Oh gees. This should be a walkover for Adelaide, yet already your fans are fixing to blame the refs.
It's getting old.

Sydney at their best this season were barely "contenders," without Childress and Brandt they are spent. I'm certainly not onboard the 6's hype-o-wagon, but even I can see that they will romp this in.

I'm struggling to find any interesting aspect. Maybe they could give Schenscher more minutes and let him try for a quadruple-double?

Reply #513529 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Angus Brandt has been cleared to play. Bit of good luck going the Kings way for a change.

Reply #513531 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Kobe24 u are a couple stubbies short of a 6 pack. Can smell the home cooking from here!

Reply #513540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL's January winners were Brock Motum for player of the month and Joey Wright for coach of the month.

Reply #513542 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Dazz "Sydney at their best this season were barely "contenders,"

Yeah sure if you consider beating NZ in NZ by 20 and beat Cairns by 17 and beat Perth to be barely contenders..

Reply #513545 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cats for life, i must be more short than you realise, please explain....

The swap of DQ and BJ for Motum and DJ will change any fans base spirits, that was the point I was making.

Anyways should be a great game tonight and if United lose another to the Hawks, will be just about there for a finals spot!

Reply #513548 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The swap of DQ for Motum was the start of a seven game winning streak that had you down in the doldrums!

Reply #513554 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, seven game losing streak!!

Reply #513555 | Report this post

Joe bloggs  
Years ago

This televised other than nbl.tv?

Reply #513556 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Unfortunately Joe Bloggs, tonight's other game (Perth vs Cairns) is the FTA game tonight. But that's understandable, it is 1 v 3 after all.

Adelaide vs Sydney can only be seen on NBL.tv (or a pirate broadcast if you can find one).

Reply #513560 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

You know your team is struggling offensively when Kevin White is your top scorer.

Good on him for silencing his critics though. I wonder if he'll still have the league's worst true shooting percentage after tonight's performance.

Reply #513562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn it's hard supporting this Kings team

Reply #513563 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'd imagine its been hard supporting any Kings team over the years, other than the Goorjian years (and that all but sent them broke).

Reply #513565 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Funny waiting for similar comments to last week when cats best Sydney by only19 comments made by anti cats fans said they only won by 19 against a team that has injuries and players not too nbl standard but I'm sure we won't be hearing that hear tonight.

Reply #513567 | Report this post

carl  
Years ago

EEErh maybe because we cleared the bench for most of the last quarter

Reply #513568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And perhaps having your starting centre back makes a difference too

Reply #513569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, not blaming refs and tonight proven correct. The ref for both ends was inconsistent and bizarre at times. Yes even the Sixers got away with some dodgy ones, and watching Perth Cairns and same stuff going on. I would say there is directions that come out that distract the refs from just calling the game according to the rules.

Sydney look unfit IMO and Madgen is a poor leader and has a terrible attitude. White had twice as many points at one stage for half the minutes to Madgen and was the most composed player tonight. Completely underrated and should be leading the game.

Reply #513580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring on those pathetic cats...

Reply #513589 | Report this post

JWC  
Years ago

If Adelaide had played there starters to the end of the game, Sydney would have been down 35 to 40.

Thanks a lot NBL.

Reply #513593 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The 36ers destroyed there poor Kings in every area, to look at the stats only is naive. I feel of the Kings not much they could offer, but rules are rules. Would've liked to see a contest though. Ironically for anyone outside of the Kings deserve a freebie, all it did was wake up DJ, lookout league!

Reply #513600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see Dj showcasing some of his trademark moves. I also saw some new ones and a harder defence. Europe appears to have unleashed his inner beast. Great work on Duinker and Garlepp. Its going to be an exciting finish.

Reply #513607 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have to worry about Brandt being cleared. His movement was very guarded and despite posting 10 rebounds looked like that knee was not 100%

Hope for pride of the team that he doesn't do any more damage. That would be a real shame for him and his boomer position.

As with Melbourne and Worthos appalling attitude, the Kings have Madgens bringing a bad vibe to the team. I don't understand why the coach and team puts up with it. That has to be a factor in both those teams. Watch the spring in t heir step when they are off next time they play. Joey would knock that right out of them. behaviour adjustment would see them reach their true potential and that is more than just shooting percentages.

Reply #513608 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

How come Perry only played 22 minutes last night? Thinking that Cotter keeps too much of a leash on him.

Reply #513612 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

ADL are now my favourites for the ship.

Reply #513614 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I really enjoyed watching White knock down so many open 3's.

And on topic, I suspect Wilson's 3 ball is dropping at a better clip these past few games.

At no point last night did I ever think the Sixers would lose, it felt like they had total control. I assume Perth fans felt the same way after last weeks game against Sydney.

Ok, NZ, Perth and Wollongong, the Sixers need to go to another level now.

Reply #513615 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep Perry just needs some guidance on getting his hands in early anne picking up the fouls but I like his hustle and attitude. Like White, underrated and did so much more across the court than others that posted big minutes. Have to be thinking that Cadee is now doubting his decision to go to what appears to be a dysfunctional and disconnected team. Cotter perhaps not the right fit for this group of men, some with 'attitude' exposed last night. Duinker, Garlepp and Madgens rough tactics and attitude unsettled the team last night and they need to show more respect to the rest of the team and play their game and keep a cool head. Need a stronger character coach to keep them under control.

Reply #513616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are a debacle. Their fifth consecutive losing season. Even when they made the playoff in that joke season when only Perth and NZ had a winning record, they were 12-16.

Not sure how much longer even the diehards are going to put up with this garbage year after year. It's like the owners are just happy to be there and say they own a team rather than do something to actually improve the club, both on and off the floor. It's been one stupid decision after another and a complete lack of leadership.

The sad truth is that people in Sydney, including both the general public and a lot of basketball fans, just don't give a crap about the Kings anymore. It's going to take a seismic shift - i.e. an ownership group with deep pockets and a genuine desire to improve the team and the product, right across the board - to get the Kings back up to at least respectability.

On the other hand, good on Daryl and the rest of the 36er owners for not accepting mediocrity and actually trying to do something to improve the team. You're seeing the fruits of that now and I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide are holding up the NBL trophy this season. The idiot Kings owners could learn something from the 36er owners for sure.

Reply #513620 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The sad part of the 36ers success lately is that just one loss would have us kicked out from playoffs contention.

Reply #513623 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

WOrd of advice to the Kings

GET FIT !!!!!

Reply #513626 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

White was very good last night, made all 6 of his first 6 shots. But you have to remember that he's someone heading into last night who was averaging 1.5 points @30.2% from the field and 20% from 3pt for the season. He's had 14 of his 19 games this season where he didn't score. That's even with a 14 point outburst against the Sixers last time we played them (so he's scored 14 points in his other 18 games). He shouldn't be leading this team. Absolutely not. But on the odd occasion when he is firing, he should get the minutes. Like he did last night.

Anyway...
Last night was a bit of a formality really with how Sydney are at the moment. The one important factor for last night was achieved (other than the win of course). And that was to get DJ rolling. He missed his first few shots, which could have seen him drop his head, considering he'd then missed his last 10 shots. But instead, he kept playing aggressive. Passed it when the pass was there, did some nice post moves, pretty much did what DJ does. Then he went to the defensive end and showed a side of the game that didn't exist previously.
It's also good to see that all 4 bigs are finding ways to contribute. It doesn't seem to have taken away from any of their games bringing in DJ, which is very encouraging.
Mitch Creek was huge last night. Pretty much did everything you'd ask of him. Was maybe a bit hesitant to shoot on the occasion, but others were firing, so he got it to the better option instead. Rebounding was great.
Felt a bit sorry for Daly. Put in the game, turned it over, then fouled and gave up a 3 point play, then Joey dragged him.
Good to see Johns and Larkins get a run. It's funny, in the warm-ups, Larkins doesn't appear to be much of a shooter to me, then he goes and makes a massive 3 with his first shot. Bit of a Kevin White situation.
Oh yeah... That Motum guy... He's alright ey?

Reply #513632 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Depends which Motum steps on the court, Loco Motum or Rock Motum. Rock the past few weeks has been very solid.

(I'm playing my Dad joke card because I can!).

Re Cadee I am still waiting for the Australian rep play to appear in the NbL.

Reply #513639 | Report this post

Peterjohn  
Years ago

Public apology for my post earlier this season, about Motum being a year or two away from performing at the level Daniel Johnson was performing last NBL season. He's shown over the last couple of months that he's at that level. Well done him for changing whatever he needed to and proving me wrong.

Reply #513640 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Not sure how much longer even the diehards are going to put up with this garbage year after year. It's like the owners are just happy to be there and say they own a team rather than do something to actually improve the club, both on and off the floor. It's been one stupid decision after another and a complete lack of leadership."

So recruiting Childress was a stupid decision?

Had he not missed more than a 3rd of the season, they might well still be in finals contention. It's a start, hopefully he'll stick around and give them something to build on. Personally I think they need more from their 2nd import than Perry is giving them...

Perhaps as a Perth fan I am "spoiled" by my team making the finals for 29 seasons, but this season has been very competative. Even the Hawks, despite their cellar dwelling, have not been easy-beats. Only 4 teams can make the finals, and you shouldn't write off Sydney just because they didn't make it. Hopefully signing Childress was a step in the right direction.

Reply #513674 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

I didn't see the game but almost crashed my cornflakes when I saw White's box score. Have to Agree with Hendo though, Kevo may have had a very good night but his stats for the season are dire.

People have mentioned Madgen's bad attitude - did he have the sooks or something? I think his cold shooting has had a bad effect on Kings spacing and his game - he doesn't want to take the 3 and settles for driving into traffic too often

Reply #513698 | Report this post

@Jick
First three of White's 3's were wide open. Like, everyone intentionally moved to the other side of the floor to give him the shot, and good on him for knocking them down. The next three were largely contested and in the run of the offense. After he hit the first 2 I called that he was hot, and I was correct. His form isn't terrible, but his season (and career) 3P% are just ugly.

I believe Madgen made 5/6 FG in the first quarter (might of been half), but then missed his next 8 or so shots. I haven't consulted the box score, but his shooting really dropped in the second half.

Was a bit whiny I would say, nothing too extreme, but definitely wouldn't help the team morale when they are already down by 20.

Reply #513727 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Thanks Nathan - sounds like some empty points for old Kevo

Reply #513863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754