Anon
Years ago

Skip - hating the 2nd half music at the Arena

Please Please get rid of your 2nd half tracks. The mood of the crowd completely wains and the organ music is annoying and does not enhance the atmosphere at all. Awful awful ...

Topic #36415 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Didn't take notice....The australian outdoor music on the other hand haha You can't impress everyone!

Reply #513622 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'm with you Anon , some of the music sounds like I'm at a 14 year old girls birthday party. Also not a fan of the timing. The second half just starts with a song busting out like a concert .... No crowd interaction or build up by the MC really .

Reply #513631 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Skip has a tough job and has to keep a wide range of age groups happy with the song selection.

I think you do a pretty good job Skip!!

Reply #513635 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep, crowd interaction is waining badly and so old school game.. Really like the hip funk sound that came out of Sydney last week. That was really cool..

Reply #513642 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

There were times last night where there was dead silence , no music , cats were on defence and the crowd had to start the defence chant. Not sure what the DJ and MC were doing.

Reply #513650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yelling at the referee's or taking photos on their phones

Reply #513651 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

You're thinking of Melbourne's announcer.

Reply #513652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the old "make some noiiiise" at the foul shot, just shut up, the crowd never needed to be told before why know

Reply #513654 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

There was a game on at Adelaide a few weeks ago, I can't remember who it was against but it was a close one....May of been vs Wollongong ? Anyway the DJ during that game was pretty good, I remember towards the end the music being played was up tempo, I was pumped just watching/listening to it.

Reply #513665 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Perhaps try letting the game be the main event. Much of the music simply gets in the road of the game, and often suppresses the crowd. Play music during the breaks - half time, quarter time, time outs - and keep the music during [over] the game to 'stings' to pick up on what is happening on the court and how the crowd is reacting. [Note that the crowd is leading!]

Nothing - not even a basketball match - can be at a peak all the time [I'm sure you can all think of some analogies], yet that seems to be what a few vocal [on here!] people want. Isn't natural. Doesn't work.

And as for 'make some noise' ... give me strength! Noise is just noise. Means nothing. Does nothing - except be noise. If the MC [I know he's not the music man] feels a need to have the crowd 'make some noise' at least have the grace to think of something half-way meaningful to say to achieve that.

A lot of the music used is along the 'let's make some noise' line. Why does 'Skip' insist on playing music through the start of the terms. Spectators have to be REALLY paying attention not to miss the first passages because there is no cue or announcement or anything to make people aware that the game is getting underway.

From watching him, 'Skip' all too often forgets his role is to augment the game. The fact that he sits there jiggling and bopping along to the inane noise and letting irrelevant pop songs play through & over the game irrespective of what is happening on court suggests that he 'gets off' on the music and forgets his role is to build an experience around the game, not in place of it or smother it under a meaningless blanket of sound.

Please let's put the game first ... give it space to live and breathe, & the crowd to engage - where appropriate. The crowd will decide that, and that will mean that sometimes it is relatively quiet. Why, the crowd might even get a chance to hear and notice some of the exchanges on the court and get a genuine experience of the game, not an irrelevant pop concert and noise for the sake of noise.

Short, relevant 'stings' - note 'short' and 'relevant'; the 'floor wiper' snip is a good example - to augment what is happening are fine, and can add to the experience, if not the game. Irrelevant, or inappropriate, music, long or short, just makes him look like a goose. To explain, I'm thinking of his use of that triumphalist stuff when we're 8 or 10 points up in the second or third quarters and have that 'winning' lead wiped out by two or three shots from the opposition.

Understanding of and feeing for the game, awareness of what is happening on the court, relevant music 'stings' and realisation that he's a servant of the game would be good steps forward.

Reply #513683 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Please someone start a fundraiser to buy a new sound system.

The current one is an offence to ones senses!!!!

Reply #513688 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

NSS Levy?

Reply #513690 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

One thing that was great at the cats game last night, didn't have to listen to that bloke allycat in the crowd. Made it an enjoyable night.

Reply #513701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

POP you have put way to much thought into that

Reply #513707 | Report this post

Personally don't mind how the music and announcing is down. Sound system could use an upgrade for sure, but then again, save the money and keep good players on the court!

In regards to the music, I think it is fine. Modern or older songs, people always know them, and they aren't that overbearing. When we string a couple good plays together, always love how there is a song to clap along to and keep the crowd going.

Also love how the announcer says stuff like "Let's make some noise!" always get's me hyped up, and its simple, no need to over complicate it. Also like how he'll say defence a couple of times then let the crowd carry on. The Wollongong announcer I believe carries through the whole way, not a fan of that so much.

Reply #513730 | Report this post

qmt  
Years ago

Don't think Skip is ever gonna win when some posts are saying it's bad when there are periods of silence and others are saying it should be silent all the time.

Ideally there would be very little music, but the Adelaide crowd is so dead quiet for most of the game, the atmosphere would be terrible without it. Gone are the days when the crowd would start chants themselves.

Reply #513780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that Nathan

Are you Allan's brother??

Does he still commentate while playing basketball

Reply #513836 | Report this post

qmt  
Years ago

Listening to this Sydney game. Adelaide has is great.

Reply #513888 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Keep in mind that often Skip is following a line of instruction from management on how much and when to play. In any suggestions, it might be worth directing criticism generically to the club?

Reply #513941 | Report this post

Sorry anon #513836, not the person you are thinking of. But if his name is Nathan than I'm sure hes a top bloke!

Reply #514009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definitely the Sydney music i'm liking especially the brass band music maybe taken from college ball

Reply #514177 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754