Jonno
Years ago

A crazy idea to stop NBA teams tanking for pick 1

After listening to various podcasts over the past weeks, where there was some discussion about tanking and how to make it less attractive and then hearing people like Jeff Van Gundy talk about how everything should relate to and reward winning, i was thinking how can they make the draft reward winning and eliminate tanking, as i like many hate when teams dont try and win at all times, especially when they take seasons off to improve draft position.

So here is what i came up with, is the draft picks should be awarded in order of the regular season standings for the overall league, ie ignoring conferences. ie top team gets the top pick and it works down to the 30th team having the 30th pick, but here is the catch.

The top team gets the top pick, but they have to pay the player $30 mil, 2nd pick pays $29 mil, works down in ladder order to the 30th pick who is paid $1 mil, so therefore to keep the pick they have to either have or create that cap space, or trade picks with another team, or pass on the pick all together.

ie
Team ranked 1 gets Pick 1 $30 mil player
team ranked 2 gets Pick 2 $29 mil player
so on to
team ranked 29 gets pick 29 a $2 mil player
team ranked 30 gets pick 30 a $1 mil player

To explain last season the Spurs, who won the title, finished with the best regular season record, so they get the first pick, but to use it they have to have $30 mil cap space, which in most cases the top team doesnt, so they would either have to break up there awesome team to create the cap space, trade the pick to another team ie the Bucks pick was worth $1 mil, so if the Bucks who had the worst record have the cap space to take on $30 mil they could swap picks (and other assets if they wish) so the Spurs only need $1 mil cap space for example but now pick 30th, or if they cant get a deal done they simply pass on the pick, so the best prospect would fall to the next team, who again would need the required cap space and so on.

To me this would stop tanking as there is no real benefit, as top team gets top pick and the bottom team who is trying to lose gets last pick then has to try and trade with the top team to get the top pick from them.

You can still trade future picks but again there value relates to the position the team they receive it from on the ladder in the relevant season.

For example last season may have gone something like this. The Spurs go we have pick 1, will cost us $30 mil in cap space which we dont have, we are not breaking up our team enough to create that space, so we need to trade it. But say the have $7 mil available to them or create that level of cap space, so they contact say the Lakers who have $30 mil cap space, would love to draft Wiggins no.1 so trade there pick, pick 25 plus say a sign and trade for Pau Gasol for around the $7 mil mark he signed with the Bulls for anyway for Pick 1. (or what ever the teams want to do)

So in the end the Spurs get Pau Gasol and some form of draft pick (as they wouldnt have much/any cap space so would then have to on trade pick 25 for a later/2nd rounder or a future year pick) and the Lakers who didnt tank or finish last get Wiggins on a $30 mil contract for the next few years to re-build there franchise with.

This eliminates any benefit for any teams that manipulated their season to come in the bottom 5, as they would still have to do a deal with another team to get one of the top picks, so just because they may have cap space doesnt guarantee a deal is done.

I know its a bit crazy, will never happen, but it rewards winning which is what competition is all about, trying to win and should eliminate tanking.

What do peole think of this idea??? Does it get rid of tanking?? which is my aim.

Topic #36416 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's an interesting idea. Imagine it was in place in the 98-99 season, the Bulls would have been able to draft first in this instance as all their stars left after the 98 championship, I'm guessing they wouldn't have drafted Olowakandi.

Reply #513657 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea helps winning teams that dont tank rebuild and bring in fresh talent when there older stars age/leave, the Bulls are a great example, would also help reward this great Spurs era and coach Pop when Duncan, etc retire as they would be able to get an elite young talent join them and keep there other good players interested in staying.

I just hate rewarding losing, would rather make/keep the strong teams strong.

Atlesast that way everyone is going 100% trying to win, as moving up 1 spot on the ladder gives you a better draft pick, so you never have the games at the end of the season when players are 'rested' and teams not trying as they know they cant make playoffs so may aswell move down and improve draft pick stuff that goes on now.

Reply #513658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still dont understand why teams tank anyway. Firstly there's surprisingly not as many examples of lottery picks that end up taking the team that drafted them to a championship anyway, most good teams are built through trades and a bit of luck.

Reply #513662 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Exactly,

but sadly still happens way too much.

Reply #513663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with those rankings

Reply #513667 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

I like the idea, but dam not many teams would want to pay prospects anyway near $30mil, not even $20mil. Dante would have been much lower in the draft if this was the process they used.

Reply #513668 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea if $30 mil too high, maybe start with $15-20 mil for pick 1 and work your way down, its probably over paying alot of prospects, but right now a guy like Wiggins is underpaid compared to many players, so im ok with paying the player.

but teams have the option of passing on the pick if they dont want to pay the player or trade down to a lower/cheaper pick,

nothing stopping a team trading a 1st rounder for a 2nd round pick or something if they view none of the prospects as worthy of the price tag.

Btw the 2nd round stays the same as is now as far as contracts, price of players go.

Reply #513670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wiggins might be underpaid, but Parker, Smart and Payton are appropriately paid and there are reasonable arguments that every other 2014 lottery pick is currently being overpaid.

But you can tweak the numbers with a system like this however you like so that the cost of paying each pick is about 'fair.' One of the obvious problems that remains with always awarding the top picks to the best teams is how anyone else is meant to get better. Their draft picks aren't worth anything because they fall further down the board, so they can't trade for veterans to try and improve now. Their chances of drafting a superstar are low, and it's most likely to happen because they take a young, raw prospect (think Zach Lavine) who happens to work out. But in the case of kids like that, they'll get good enough to help their team right around the time their rookie contract runs out, and their team won't have been good enough to add any other talent in the meantime, so they just leave and go play for someone who's already good.

This system means OKC never gets KD, the Spurs never get Duncan, the Cavs never get Lebron or Kyrie, the Heat don't get Wade, etc, etc, etc. There might be more incentive for bad teams to play well, but there are no means for them to acquire more talent, so their ceilings will always be ridiculously low.

Reply #513677 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea true about top teams getting the top talent being a issue, but this is why i valued the contracts high, so in most cases the top team wouldnt be able to draft and sign the top talents unless they break up there team to create the cap space, which would force them to trade the top picks to lower teams with cap space, which is how the bad teams get talent and get better, but given its a trade and often more than 1 team will be making an offer for the top pick the top team will atleast get something ok back and be more rewarded for winning and keeps teams trying to win and finish as high on the ladder as possible.

Reply #513680 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

In most cases id imagine top picks get traded to a non-playoff team with cap space.

or in some cases a team may break up roster if they want to take a new direction and keep a high/expensive pick, which puts the good players from that roster on the market for other teams to trade for/sign.

Reply #513681 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

A case where this is particularly useful is the Heat, (also the cavs when the lost LeBron or post Jordan/Pippen Bulls)

They were among the top teams, but lose LeBron and can re-sign guys like Wade and Bosh over the cap using bird rights, so therefore have enough room to keep there top pick, pick #5 based on last years ladder, which is where Dante Exum was picked, but could have taken anyone apart from Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Gordon, which if they get a nice piece keeps them more competitive in the short and long term.

If they still wanted Napier who they drafted who they can draft lower and cheaper, they could trade down, get a useful player and a later pick for the pick #5 which also could help them stay better.

I personally would rather reward the Heat for trying hard and winning, encourage them to win even more each season for the higher pick and doesnt give incententive for teams like the 76ers to tank, as they would have to trade for a top pick and the higher they finnish the better the pick they will have to trade back to the top team

Reply #513686 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Another thing i forgot to mention in the original post is having the contract value of the rookies initally very high also means it will be harder for super teams to be put together, due to salary cap, if you have a high(ish) draft pick on your roster, meaning the 'max' players like LeBron, Irving, Love could be more spread out amongst the league and wont be on the same team very often, meaning more markets get a 'max'player

Reply #513693 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well @ Jonno, it certainly could be an improvement on the tattslotto style balls in a barrel system they currently use, nice try I like thinking outside the square (or in this case the sphere)...

Reply #513695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldnt middle of the road teams stay middle of the road teams?

Reply #513709 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Possibly, also depends on trades, free agent signings, the draft is only one way to recruit talent, not the only way.

Obviously not a perfect idea, just threw it out there to see peoples thoughts

The lower/middle teams not getting top prospects is one issue

The very high wage of top picks another issue

Top teams potentially staying at the top for ever, less parity is another

So yea plenty of issues, but current system is also very flawed

What ideas do people have?? be interested to see if there is a really good system out there to beat tanking, i just hate teams who are not trying to win.

Reply #513712 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't follow the NBA at all, but similar arguments follow anywhere there is a draft (eg AFL.)

One option is to simply get rid of the draft altogether.
Or, make the entire draft a lottery, with chances adjusted only to ensure that every team gets an EQUAL chance over time, rather than rewarding poor performance.

The problem is that EQUALISATION is a primary goal of the draft. ie They WANT to help bad teams.
My only solution to that is that chances in the lottery should be dictated by a team's rolling average performance over the last say 5 years. That way a team that has dominated for years would fare poorly, but a team wouldn't be penalised harshly for winning a ring against the odds. Similarly teams that are broke and really struggling would get helped, but there would be much less incentive to simply take a bath one season to get picks. The only problem would be that it could lead to a real boom & bust cycle for teams, but that could be overcome by judicious trading.

Reply #513713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better idea would be for all teams who miss playoffs to have the same amount of balls in the draft. No need for tanking then

Reply #513759 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I also dislike teams who tank. I have suggested before on here about a post-All-Star game ladder to determine the #1 pick.

After the ASG, everyone's records are kept. When the season is over, the teams out of the playoffs, their records are tallied (post-ASG records) and the team that performed best since the ASG, but missed playoffs, will get the #1 pick and so on.

I know that currently, that would probably reward some very good Western teams (OKC for example), but I think it would stop teams from tanking and also the make-the-stars-sit-out-the-final-two-weeks syndrome that those tanking teams often do.

Also top teams playing the tankers during late season games, would have to face some pretty hungry lineups, rather than some D-League scrubbers.

Yes, I understand there are plenty of flaws there, especially teams on the bubble of the playoffs, purposely missing the playoffs but getting a good enough record for the top pick etc, but at least it would hopefully eliminate the 14 win teams from happily aiming for 14 wins.

Reply #513915 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I like it Speed44

Reply #514156 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754