paul
Years ago

2015 NBL All-First & Second Teams

Well, we're almost at the end of the regular season, so time to think about All-First and All-Second teams, here's mine:

All-NBL First Team
Brock Motum
Brian Conklin
Josh Childress
Jordan McRae
Cedric Jackson

All-NBL Second Team
Ekene Ibekwe
Mark Worthington
Todd Blanchfield
Jamar Wilson
Scottie Wilbekin

Thoughts?

Topic #36423 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey webster

Reply #513786 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd like to say that Damien Martin should be in there somewhere but the point guards you have included are hard to leave out also.

Reply #513787 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Childress would have been a shoe-in, but not sure he can hold his place after missing 1/3 of the season.

Also, if they select based on PG/SG/SF/PF/C, then I think that changes things.

Based on that I would have (at this stage):
1st:
C: Gladness
PF: Conklin
SF: Childress
SG: MacRae
PG: Jackson

2nd:
C: Ibekwe
PF: Motum
SF: Daniels
SG: Beal
PG: Wilbekin

With the rider that Daniels and Childress may swap, AND Jamar Wilson may edge out Wilbekin, by seasons end.

Honourable Mentions:
Worthington, Petrie, Gibson, and D Martin

Reply #513792 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"I'd like to say that Damien Martin should be in there somewhere but the point guards you have included are hard to leave out also. "

Damo's play-making and defensive game make him an excellent player, and a great addition to any line-up. Reality is that if you were picking an actual squad, you'd make room for him somewhere.
But in an "All-Star" lineup there are a few guys that are just so much better offensively, it would be hard not to pick them.

Reply #513794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo is well overrated!!

What does he average? 3.2ppg??

Reply #513812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually agree with most of OP's selections, but I would switch out Ekene Ibekwe for Corey Webster. Yes this makes the second team small ball but in the end these teams are about highlighting the best players in the league and Corey has been much more influential than Ebeks on the Breakers season.

For the overall MVP I think it's a tossup between McRae and Jackson. Conklin's team hasn't been successful enough, the Sixers went through a really bad patch with Motum and Childress has missed too much time to win the award. Despite being a Breakers fan I'd probably pick McRae due to Jackson having better talent surrounding him, although I wouldn't be surprised if voters shy away from McRae due to his team not making the playoffs.

6th Man goes to Ibekwe. Despite being a backup for Pledger he's played more minutes than him and had a larger effect (enough of an impact to be considered for the second team by OP). His only competition comes from Markovic, but he hasn't had the same impact off the bench that Ebeks has.

I'm not really sure about the other awards.

Reply #513816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mary knight - cats cannot win without him!!

Reply #513817 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

First Team
Jackson
Wilbekin
Childress
Conklin
Motum

Second Team
Wilson
McRae
Blanchfield
Worthington
Knight

MVP: Childress but Jackson will get it based on the system
Most Improved: Blanchfield
Sixth Man: Tragardh
Defensive: Martin
Coach of the Year: Fearne or Vickerman

Reply #513825 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Damo would be in my third team. Had he produced close to his best all season he'd probably be 1st team, same with Knight, but he had some down time mid-season.

Gibson, Vukona and Petrie are three other guys who are perennial contenders for honours because of all the big and little things they do for their team, but they have all had inconsistent patches this season too.

Reply #513840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniels in anyones second team... and I quit! Initial post was spot on for mine.

Reply #513867 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

How do they factor in how many games someone has played? Childress and Motum have been the best players in their position but others have played more basketball.

Reply #513869 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Daniels in anyones second team... and I quit!"

As I said, by the end of the season he should replace Childress in the first team.
He's only 20 points behind,already the overall leading rebounder, and his blocks are decent for a SF.

Reply #513891 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Can't pick fault with the OP lineups sound on the money to me.
Daniels isn't of Ennis standard but at worst he would be 3rd team.

Reply #513893 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Daniels should be in the 3rd team. He is nowhere near 1st team, unless you are just looking at boxscores.

Reply #513895 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

First Team

Motum
Conklin
Childress
McRae *
Jackson

Second Team

Ibekwe / Gladness / Knight
Worthington
Blanchfield / Daniels
Wilson
Wilbekin

*though I'd like to omit him altogether for being a dickhead

I've found the guards to be pretty lackluster this season. Gibson, Beal, D.Martin, R.Martin, Ervin, Dennis and Webster all produced less than I expected from them.

I've been super-impressed by the bigs. I rate Worthington ahead of McRae, but can't put him ahead of Conklin or Childress. All of Motum, Knight, Gladness or Ibekwe have legit claims to a spot in either team, but I think two will have to miss out based on past positional-based selections.

Reply #513946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniels won't be back.

Macrae seems to have rubbed a few people up the wrong way, interesting. To start looking at a 3rd team in an 8 team comp is pushing it.

Reply #513950 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

C Matty Knight
PF Brian Conklin
SF Josh Childress
SG Jordan MacRae
PG Damien Martin

2nd

C Mickell Gladness
PF Brock Motum
SF Todd Blanchfield
SG Jamar Wilson
PG Scottie Wilbekin

I wanted to put Gliddon in but although he is one of the best defenders in the league, he hasn't really blown anyone away with his scoring yet and I've been appreciating Butston's season. Wortho deserves a mention as he was great early in the season and Garlepp was fantastic as well.

I think there have been a lot of disappointments this season and here is my team for that!

C Alex Pledger - injured but I thought he'd have a career year!
PF Shawn Redhage - what's he done this season?
SF Thomas Abercrombie - been missing in more games than not
SG Jermaine Beal - he has been dreadful in 2015 and just won't attack the basket
PG Steve Markovic or Adam Gibson, who started well but faded into oblivion trying to be the glue guy when they needed more from him

Reply #515366 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

Proud - No Cedric Jackson in either team???

Reply #515373 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754