Bulldog
Years ago

Dominique Wilkins on Larry Bird's trash talk

Came across an article on News.com.au where Dominique Wilkins spoke about his first game against Larry Bird.

I miss the good old days.

"One of the first times I ever played against him, I went out for the opening tip and I went to shake his hand. He just stood there and looked at me stone-faced with his hands behind his back," Wilkins told the Boston Herald.

“I was like, 'Whoa.' Then we were getting ready for the tip and he says to me, ‘You don’t belong in this league, Homes.’ I couldn’t believe it, but it happened so fast, I didn’t know what to think.

“Then they had the ball and I was on him and he said, ‘I don’t know why they got you guarding me, Homes. You can’t guard me.’ Then, whap, he hit a 3. Then he came down again and said, ‘They made a mistake putting you on me, Homes,’ and he took another 3.”

“So now I’m hot,” he said. “I’m hot. I mean, I’m steaming.

“Then a little while later, I came down on a break and he was backpedalling. I just went right after him. I jumped up and he tried to challenge, but I took that right through the rim. He fell and hit the basket support.

“He got up and said, ‘I like you, rookie. You’ve got (guts).’ I was happy for a second, and then he said, ‘But I’m still going for 40 on you tonight.’”

But it also reminded me about Kevin Durant's stinger to Chris Paul the other day.

After hitting a shot over Durant, Paul held his shooting arm up and glared at Durant.

Durant responded: “You’re down 20, homie”.

Topic #36449 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah cool story read that too, Bird was a mind fucker and a half! Long live the 80's NBA!

Reply #514465 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I seem to recall Bird going into another team's timeout huddle and telling them that he was going to steal the ball...and he did.

Reply #514496 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

There's another story where Larry Legend was scorching some poor team and said to the opposing coach "Have you got anyone on the bench that can guard me? 'cause nobody out on the floor can".

Nobody was better at taunting the other team and getting in their heads.

Reply #514501 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Charles Barkley's account of Bird at an All Star event one year had me in stitches.

All the superstars were in the changing room, waiting to see/contest the three point shootout.

Barkley said that Bird came in and said straightaway:

"Which one of you is coming second today?"

Reply #514540 | Report this post

Celticgreen  
Years ago

He is the reason I go for the Celtics, I could listen to his stories all day

Reply #515863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754