Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Fan survey - Please give your thoughts

Just a bit of fun and feedback.

Your NBL team: Perth Wildcats

How many home games do you attend per season: About 10

How many people attend games with you: 3

Favourite past player: Ricky Grace

Favourite current player: Damien Martin (big fan of Josh Childress too)

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: A couple of times a week

Do you think ticket prices are well priced: yes

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: Yes, Perth do a great job

Favourite team to play against: Sydney Kings

Do you have NBL.tv: yes

Are you happy with the quality of the product: sometimes

Do you watch NBL games on Television: yes but wish there were more and live

You're favourite past/current commentators: I liked John Gardiner, Peter Ensell, Mike Ellis, Stephen Quartermain, Billy Woods and John Casey on Fox Sports games

Do you own NBL merchandise: Yes, singlets and bobble heads

What do you think the NBL as a whole, needs to do to improve and attract more fans:
I think a new Television broadcast deal covering every game live is absolutely imperative. A strong Advertising and Marketing campaign is important. Obviously a Brisbane team. More community work.

Topic #36472 | Report this topic

TYRELL  
Years ago

Your NBL team: NZ BREAKERS

How many home games do you attend per season: 2-3

How many people attend games with you: 1

Favourite past player: TONNY JENSEN

Favourite current player: CEDRIC JACKSON

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: ONLY TO ACCESS LIVE STATS OTHERWISE HOOPS.COM.AU IS A FAR BETTER SOURCE OF INFO!

Do you think ticket prices are well priced: YES

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games:
YES

Favourite team to play against: NO ONE IN PARTICULAR.

Do you have NBL.tv: NO

Are you happy with the quality of the product: FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD IT'S AVERAGE! FREE LIVESTREAMS ALL THE WAY!

Do you watch NBL games on Television: NO- ONLY FINALS. OTHERWISE I LIVESTREAM!

You're favourite past/current commentators: JOHN CASEY ALL THE WAY!

Do you own NBL merchandise: NO

What do you think the NBL as a whole, needs to do to improve and attract more fans:
TV BROADCAST DEAL
3 IMPORTS
ATTRACT BIGGER SPONSORS
USE FREE SOCIAL MEDIA TO ASSIST ADVERTISING

Reply #514973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your NBL team:
Townsville Crocodiles

How many home games do you attend per season:
All - missed 1 ever

Favourite past player:
Rob Rose, Ricky Jones, Mike Kelly

Favourite current player:
Todd Blanchfield

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: once a day

Do you think ticket prices are well priced: NO!

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games:
no - its the same stuff since 1993

Favourite team to play against: Cairns!

Do you have NBL.tv: Yes

Are you happy with the quality of the product:
I've never had a problem - i must be one of the lucky ones. Oh except the few games that werent broadcast so i couldnt eatch the replay

Do you watch NBL games on Television:
yes - because i live in QLD, they are never live.

You're favourite past/current commentators:
John Casey - he might have too many caseyisms, but he is head and shoulders the best because he prepares so well. I also like Tom King, Tommy Greer & Matt Smith.

Do you own NBL merchandise:
Yes, lots and lots

TV is a big thing but i'd hate to see crowd numbers drop due to games being on TV. The season needs to be a little longer and playoffs need to go longer. We need to embrace the bad boys - we all need someone to hate. Hinder Loughton Redhage Boucher Kerle Vlahov etc
Ebrace the digital age, lets see more videos, highlights, behind the scenes interviews etc

Reply #514976 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

Your NBL team: Adelaide 36ers

How many home games do you attend per season: ALL

How many people attend games with you: 2

Favourite past player: Brett Maher

Favourite current player: Petrie

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: has improved could still be better but that is more to do with the sound system more than anything

Favourite team to play against: Perth

Do you have NBL.tv: No

Are you happy with the quality of the product: ?

Do you watch NBL games on Television: yes the NBL run game perth vs adelaide was fantastic!

You're favourite past/current commentators: Brett MAher, can not remember his name but the commentator that passed awaya few years ago was brilliant...

Do you own NBL merchandise: Singlets

What do you think the NBL as a whole, needs to do to improve and attract more fans: Make it the BEST night out for your addmision price... something i know as a member the club is certainly improving, advertise a lot better and mroe often than they do, and more variety of merchandise, improve the referring standard so the actual game is understood by not jsut the players but the fans

Reply #514990 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

Your NBL team: Melbourne United

How many home games do you attend per season: am a full season member

Favourite past player: Joe Ingles

Favourite current player: Jordan McRae

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: Nope, it sucks. only for stats and game highlights

Do you think ticket prices are well priced: yup ! $180 for season tickets 4th row on sideline !!!!!

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: nope. superhoodz suck

Favourite team to play against: Adelaide

Do you have NBL.tv: no

Are you happy with the quality of the product: n/a

Do you watch NBL games on Television: yes, mostly every game on one and ten

You're favourite past/current commentators: I greatly dislike all te commentators

Do you own NBL merchandise: Yes, some player t shirts

Better marketing, increase salary cap and allow for better imports. e.g allowing Harrington to come over. overwise more televised games and a Brisbane team and keep crocs around but in a better stadium. I think another melb team wouldn't work tho.

Reply #515011 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Your NBL team: Sydney Kings

How many home games do you attend per season: 1

How many people attend games with you: 2

Favourite past player: Shane Heal

Favourite current player: JChill or Kendrick

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: yes but there could be improvement

Favourite team to play against: Hawks

Are you happy with the quality of the product: Yes Never had a problem due to fast internet

Do you watch NBL games on Television: yes nearly every friday night game and sometimes the sunday game

You're favourite past/current commentators: Brett Maher and Bill Woods at the moment

Do you own NBL merchandise: Not yet

What do you think the NBL as a whole, needs to do to improve and attract more fans: Bigger TV deal, More advertising and more mid week games

Reply #515014 | Report this post

NBLG  
Years ago

Your NBL team: Melbourne United

How many home games do you attend per season: Most

How many people attend games with you: 1 or 2

Favourite past player: D-Mac

Favourite current player: Stephen Dennis

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: Every day

Do you think ticket prices are well priced: Membership prices are probably a tad expensive in relativity to other sporting codes and what you get for it. Game day ticket prices are too expensive, hence all the weekly discounts you see.

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: Not really, the idea is there, the execution just hasn't hit the spot yet. Half time entertainment in Melbourne has been subpar due to a combination of sound issues (too loud, screechy) and talent level.

Favourite team to play against: N/A

Are you happy with the quality of the product: Yes and No. Quality of NBL.TV when it's alive and running it's great. Freezes occur, yes we live with it, errors are bound to happen at some stage. The lack of communication plus timeliness to fix/alter what the issues are is what is annoying. Time delays of replays being made available. There is a 'featured' section on NBL.TV and nothing comes of it. This is the section to get player interviews, behind the scenes footage (bonus stuff for subscribers)- top 5 plays, a day in the life etc.

Do you watch NBL games on Television: Of course.

You're favourite past/current commentators: Don't like to live in the past, because the NBL only improves when you have your thoughts on the future. Something many seem to lack. Woods does the job to continue in the future, along with a few more. Some of the NBL.TV commentators need to have a general meeting on how to improve the coverage so they're all on the same page (i.e. Townsville's NBL.TV coverage compared to say Sydney's)

Do you own NBL merchandise: Yes.

What do you think the NBL as a whole, needs to do to improve and attract more fans: Employ, employ, employ. With more staff means more content, greater minds to market the product and more time for employees to do things. Having one person in each of the major areas to run a business is simply not enough.

I understand $$$ is tight, therefore sponsorship is then the next major step. With sponsorship means there has to be a great product. We have that.

With a great product means we have to be able to present it. There enters the TV deal. TV deal brings sponsors on board, which then allows the league to employ more staff which then allows more areas to market properly etc along with other key ingredients to a successful business.

It's the business cycle right there. We need to nail a couple of things and then more pieces will start to link up.

----------

*Thanks to whoever created this survey. I say it'd be great if the public could influence things.....except we can, we just don't have enough passionate bball fans that want to see the local game succeed.

Reply #515031 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

How many home games do you attend per season: 2 or 3 if lucky

How many people attend games with you: 1 or 2

Favourite past player: Mark Davis

Favourite current player: DJ / Mitch Creek

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: A few times a week

Do you think ticket prices are well priced: No, too high

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: If I'm not in line at the kiosk I enjoy it

Favourite team to play against: Perth Wildcats and Melbourne United. Perth have the most enviable record in the NBL so they are the team to beat and well, I'm a South Aussie. We hate Victoria

Do you have NBL.tv: No

Are you happy with the quality of the product: Don't have it but having seen it.....no

Do you watch NBL games on Television: Yes but wish they showed a Saturday night game as well

You're favourite past/current commentators: Past - Andrew Kay, Lyn Parnell, and I didn't mind Dennis Cometti when he did the NBL on Seven. Present - Brett Maher, Lachy Reid, Brad Rosen (can't comment on NZ commentators as we don't get them here, but Casey Frank is good)

Do you own NBL merchandise: Yes, a 36ers cap

What do you think the NBL as a whole, needs to do to improve and attract more fans: A new Television deal covering every game live (or at least 3 live games a week on Friday & Saturday nights and Sunday arvo). A much better online service with improved NBL.tv and a website that is up to date. Better marketing and more teams around the country in Brisbane, Canberra, Hobart and a second Melbourne team - stick to the capitals before trying to start a regional team just yet.

And lower ticket prices. The 36ers proved this year that lowering prices will bring more people through the doors. Before the game against Townsville, Adelaide had not had a full house for a non-finals game since Brett Maher's final home game as a 36er in 2009. And remember that's for a club that for about 10 years after the Powerhouse was built very rarely played in front of anything but a full house at home. Perth don't have this problem and well done to them for that, but every other team would do well to lower their ticket prices. Adelaide has proved it, do that and they will come.

Reply #515033 | Report this post

Claydo  
Years ago

Your NBL team: Hawks

How many home games do you attend per season: Approximately 3 as I live in Canberra.

Favourite past player: Terry Johnson

Favourite current player: Damien Martin

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: Every day

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: No

Favourite team to play against: Sydney Kings

Do you have NBL.tv: I did the first year but the service was so poor it was difficult to sign up again.

Are you happy with the quality of the product: Never

Do you watch NBL games on Television: yes

You're favourite past/current commentators: The guy from Perth is the only one with much chop at present. Couldn't stand Carfino as he clearly did zero research and treated the role like a hobby.

Do you own NBL merchandise: Yes, singlets, shorts, old playing cards

Expansion into Brisbane, Tasmania and a second team in NZ are imperative but it must be accomplished over time as we don't want another Dragons or Blaze situation. I've lived in and visited all three locations frequently over the past five/six years and all three locations are ready - especially Brisbane and NZ. I don't agree with Canberra as a possible location - I've spent the last six years here and the game is in big trouble.

The biggest issue for the NBL though is accepting criticism. Such things as banning people from their social media forums because they ask questions which they deem unacceptable is childish and ignorant. This also includes correspondence - if there are a number of fans asking the same question on the facebook page then have the decency to answer them. Incredibly frustrating.

As a game the reality is that the NBL is never going to be huge in Australia. The reasoning for this being that it's an American sport with a very small amount of Americans living here. People draw the comparison to the success of the A League, but the fact of the matter is, Australia has an abundance of European, South American and African citizens with which the A League can tap into. That's the reality of our game going forward at present.

The NBL needs to take games into rural areas. I know this can prove difficult due to proper stadium facilities but even Melbourne and Adelaide taking one of their games down to Tasmania would be an avenue worth exploring. Clearly it's too tough an ask for the Hawks or Kings to play in Canberra - even in the preseason. Granted they did take their preseason game to Moss Vale last year but playing games so close to home is something they need to challenge.

We could go on for some time in detail about what we all think needs rectifying, but the reality is, the NBL has shown that it puts little value into what their fans think. Very sad.

Reply #515049 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Your NBL team: Perth Sux

How many home games do you attend per season: I watch them all at my home

How many people attend games with you: I have no friends.

Favourite past player: Daequon Montreal

Favourite current player: Brock Motum

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: No, I live in Adelaide

Do you think ticket prices are well priced: no

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: No the refs are biased against us

Favourite team to play against: Perth Sux

Do you have NBL.tv: No its biased against us

Do you watch NBL games on Television: No, channel 10 is biased against us

You're favourite past/current commentators: I hate them all because they are all biased against us

Do you own NBL merchandise: I have a picture of Damian Martin on my dart board

What do you think the NBL as a whole: NBL Sux, I only watch the NBA

Reply #515055 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Your NBL team: Perth

How many home games do you attend per season: all of them . Member

Favourite past player: Vlahov

Favourite current player: Damien Martin

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: Daily

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: Massively. Perth do a great job

Favourite team to play against: Adelaide/breakers

Do you have NBL.tv: yes

Do you watch NBL games on Television: Rarely. Mainly because I have nbl.tv and a season ticket holder. Would watch more on TV if they were live in WA

You're favourite past/current commentators: Quatermain / Lachie Reid

Do you own NBL merchandise: oodles of it

What do you think the NBL as a whole: could be better but i lover it anyway

Reply #515065 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A lot of NBL fans really love Damien Martin. I guess he did have a cracking off-drive!

BTW, I think this thread is great, and something the NBL themselves should be doing a lot more of. There's a lot to be gained from hearing what fans think.

Reply #515067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your NBL team: 36ers

How many home games do you attend per season: All

Favourite past player: Mark Davis

Favourite current player: DJ

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: Never, useless website. Can find most of the info on nbl.com on many other much better sites

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: Yea, suppose so. Its not really why im there (more than a casual fan).

Favourite team to play against: Perth

Are you happy with the quality of the product: n/a

Do you watch NBL games on Television: Yes, need more live to generate more interest.

You're favourite past/current commentators: Boti Nagy, lol. I watch on mute most of the time so meh

Do you own NBL merchandise: Yes, heaps. about 25 odd 36ers singlets. Gamer worn tops and warm up gear. Signed balls, framed singlets almost anythin really.

Needs to be seen as stable in the average joes eyes, many people associate broke teams, foldin clubs rotating thru each season with the nbl. Connect with the bball community, not just district clubs but social ball too...lots of dollars being missed out on.

Reply #515069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just noticed this comment from NBLG about the commentary of games:

"You're favourite past/current commentators: Don't like to live in the past, because the NBL only improves when you have your thoughts on the future. Something many seem to lack. Woods does the job to continue in the future, along with a few more. Some of the NBL.TV commentators need to have a general meeting on how to improve the coverage so they're all on the same page (i.e. Townsville's NBL.TV coverage compared to say Sydney's)"

Just wondering what was meant here? What are the differences between NBL.TV commentators in Townsville and Sydney? I didn't see any Sydney games on NBL.TV so was just curious.

Reply #515209 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

How many home games do you attend per season: All, might miss one due to personal commitments

Favourite past player: Brad Davidson

Favourite current player: Anthony Petrie, Isaac Forman close 2nd

Do you visit NBL.com.au very often: A few times a week, mostly Thu-Sun

Do you think ticket prices are well priced: Yes

Do you enjoy the off court entertainment at home games: It's always hard to please everyone because the demographics are so diverse

Favourite team to play against: Perth Wildcats

Are you happy with the quality of the product: yes

Do you watch NBL games on Television: yes, and tape the ones I go to as well

You're favourite past/current commentators: Brett Maher offers the most insight

Do you own NBL merchandise: Yes

Improved media management. The AFL present a polished turd, but the media eat it up because they are so slick. Really need to hit the reality TV shows etc to increase the presence of the sport.

Reply #515240 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Jack : do you mean Oscar Foreman ? ;)

Reply #515248 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yes my bad, should be Oscar, Isaac only dribbles after a few reds

Reply #515294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754