Dazz
Years ago

What will Perth's squad look like next season?

It's interesting. Clearly they will want to be better, and ideally add some depth as their bench has been a bit shallow when injuries hit.

Interesting because by my reckoning just about everyone is under contract, although a few have mutual get out clauses. Also by my reckoning, Redhage is in his 10th season, and Knight & Hire in their 5th (if you count Hire's DP year.) So that could open up another 6 points, which is enough to upgrade somebody like U'U for an 8 or 9 pointer.

Knights a good player (despite his frequent injuries) he's contracted and seems settled in Perth, and with a discount I think he'd stay. (Not sure about beyond his current contract.)

Jervis is a good alternative to Knight, although he's still learning. He might be sought by other teams, but he's contracted, and I imagine he's being groomed to assume the starting role after Knight.

Redhage isn't what he once was, but is great value for 6 points, and I'd expect to see him play less minutes and eventually move to the bench.

Wagstaff's good, and in some ways he's a better defender than Redhage, but he hasn't really taken it to the next level yet. My only reservation is whether he can step into that starting PF role at the level the Cats expect?

Not sure what will happen with Daniels, but I suspect the deal is for one year and they will look for someone different.

Hire is difficult to peg. He has been coming along nicely but missed most of this season to injury. If he gets the discount, that would bring him down to 4, so I think he'll stay.

Beal is probably our MVP, he's contracted and if reports are to be believed is Happy in Perth. Will be interesting to see if he steps up again in the finals.

Ross is a unique player. Very strong and wide for his height. His style is that of a swingman, but at 192cm he's a little short. I'd love to see him stick around, but I suspect either he or U'U might have to go.

Not much to say about Damo, could not imagine him going anywhere.

U'U has had some great games, and others not so. I don't like him running the point but I think he has the makings of an ok SG.

THEORETICALLY we could see no change, as I think everyone is under contract (except probably DD.) But based on my points assessment, the need to strengthen key areas, and Cats' history, I think change will come.

My personal opinion is that they need to strengthen the starting front court (Import), need a good 2-3 coming off the bench (from released points) and need better back up at the point. Obviously it will depend on who's available, cos that's the $64k question, however I suspect that DD, U'U and/or Ross will be moved on.

Naturally all of the above is predicated on the Salary Cap (which I won't even guess at) and other players all being happy and not exercising out clauses.

Topic #36475 | Report this topic

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Redhage Out
Cody Ellis in :)

Daniels out
New Import (Ennis Mold) in :)

Reply #515086 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

No friggen way will we be swapping Redhage for Ellis.

Reply #515089 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If Redhage is still starting next season it doesn't look good. He has declined big time. Bring him off the bench and its a different story. Absolutely have to upgrade on Daniels, he has been a huge disappointment for mine, was hoping for another Ennis, as much as i would've hated that as a 6er fan, but he has been weak. Core is decent, maybe the coach is the biggest change this off season.

Reply #515106 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"If Redhage is still starting next season it doesn't look good. He has declined big time. Bring him off the bench and its a different story."

Yes, that's the issue. Coming off the bench at 6 points (or less) would be invaluable, but who replaces him in the starting 5? Is Wagstaff up to the standard that the Cats demand?
Maybe they need to replace Redhage with an import PF, but they still need to fill another starting forward spot with a local.
I don't suppose Motum has an identical twin "Brick"?

Reply #515124 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Yeah their biggest need is a new coach! DD was touted as being a better shooter than ennis when he arrived but he didnt live up to the hype. Im pretty sure Ross is on a three year contract but if not, i would like to see him stay he has a lot of potential to work with. Redhage/Wagstaff will still share minutes perhaps redhage may still start games but play less minutes overall. His decline in dominance needs to be offset by recruiting a gun import in the 2-3 spot who can provide more inside presence and can shoot the three. Hire fit and coming off the bench is a huge asset. Agree with the need of back up in the point. With a few extra points in the cap they should try get carter back or even a tomlinson. Not much room for change next season but will be an interesting transition beyond that with a few ageing players in the team

Reply #515131 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Are DP players under contract? I wouldn't expect Hire's first season as a DP would count towards a loyalty discount.

Reply #515163 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Coach isn't going anywhere, he just won them a grand final and has so far at least made the playoffs this season. He's done a great job.

Reply #515169 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The team has had success, although this is one of those cases where the coach doesn't seem to be behind it as much as the players.

Reply #515180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Has to be time for Wagstaff to start over Redhage. Upgrade Daniels. Wonder if they regret locking in Ross?

Reply #515190 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I would have kept Muo instead of Ross.
Don't see Daniels coming back and not sure if U'u is signed next year?

Reply #515193 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Redhages recent poor form is most likely due to him being ill over the last 3-4 weeks
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/basketball/a/26287122/cats-look-to-redhage-to-rediscover-top-form/

Reply #515197 | Report this post

Sixers147  
Years ago

Any excuse from the wildcats to cover redhages poor form. Hasn't affected his recent flopping

Reply #515202 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Sixers147: get over it mate, it's getting a bit old

Reply #515204 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

To be fair it'll keep going as long as he flops id say. Outside of Perth, he is hated for his flopping its not a good look.

Just move Redhage to the bench, get a decent import to cover is spot along with Wagstaff sharing minutes there and your set. Id say their is regret about Ross, i didn't think much of him when he was fully fit, but with his body type surely that injury will only make him slower no matter how good his recovery. Thats the same worry I have with BJ Anthony, if Adelaide resign him!

Reply #515213 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kobe24 : I was more referring to his " any excuses" comment. Redhage is a flopper, there's no doubting that, but to be fair there are those (a lot) in the NBL who are just as bad that don't cop the same critisicm. Anyway that argument has been fogged to death so no point getting into it any further lol

Reply #515215 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Oh my bad, thought it was the flopping thing, that is what it is. As for the excuses, its every media teams job to shiny gloss on the home team, so nothing to that, hers did it with Brett Maher and those troublesome calves of his for years!

Reply #515216 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Damn auto correct *6ers

Reply #515218 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Are DP players under contract?"

Certainly not a regular contract, as they ARE DPs, but perhaps a "DP Contract." Another case where we'd have to look at the precise wording.

U'U IS contracted, he signed a 3-season deal last September. However both he and the Cats have "options" at the end of each season. I SUSPECT that the 3-season contract is about locking him in at 2 points, whilst the "options" probably allow outs.

Ross's 3-season deal also has "options," so I assume its the same issue. On that basis I don't think the Cats would "regret" signing him as I suspect they can release him if necessary.

Muo was potentially just the type of player the Cats needed off the bench but he hasn't really impressed.
NB: Muo was ALSO on a multi-year contract but was released.

Redhage's RECENT games have been plagued by illness, but that doesn't cover that he isn't the "scoring machine" he once was.

Reply #515232 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah id say he is just slowing down, father time stops for no one. Unless he has had the sniffles all season! Again as much as I loathe the way he goes about it, very valuable off the bench. Not his fault he gets away with what he does.

Reply #515251 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

@uwe blab: so, when they win its because of the players and let me guess that you believe when they lose its the coach? Ha!

Reply #515346 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

You were the one who said Gleeson is great because he won a title.

Reply #515348 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Obviously comparing The Cats next season, to the dominate team from last season's championship, the biggest single difference is Ennis.
That said, DD is no slouch, just a different player.
And who knows, maybe next season will see someone more like Ennis than DD.

The problems I feel lie elsewhere.
Redhage, Martin, and Knight will all be two years older, and the wrong side of 30. Still great players, but getting a little slower. So you need some growth elsewhere to offset that.
Jervis had a breakout season last time, so its hard to expect drastic improvement, but it COULD happen.

The single biggest issue is Redhage & Wagstaff. They have basically shared the 4 spot for years now, and we all just assumed that as Redhage faded Wagstaff would pick up the slack. We probably will see that in minutes, but Redhage's shoes are just too big. Wagstaff's great, but its hard to see much more upside.

Hire has a bit of X-factor about him. Despite missing most of the season, and returning without much of jump, he's been able to improve his averages, so he could become increasingly useful next season.

Obviously I am looking at this from a "spoiled" Perth fan's perspective. Even with the same squad and no improvement they would probably be finals contenders. But (like any fan) I'm asking what they need to do to become serious 'ship contenders again.

If you follow the old Perth model, then what they would need now is the next player looking to get naturalised. For a good while we thought that would be Lisch.

It will be interesting to see what happens, because apart from probably replacing DD with the next NBA development player, there's no "obvious" moves. Yet I suspect we will see something unexpected.

Reply #515595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would not be surprised to see a genuine Point Guard there that can run an offence and defend and think he will be from QLD and currently at college

Reply #515723 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... I love Wildcats fans... Not content with just making the playoffs recently, anything less than a top two finish and it's all hands on deck/crisis talks! And now want to include a DP year as a contracted year so they can get yet ANOTHER discount? ROFL... Bless...

For how long is the dodgy U'u points reduction valid for?

Wonder if they regret locking in Ross?

lol... you say that like contracts mean anything in the NBL, let along in Perth! (or NZ)

As it stands, the only player not contracted for next season is Daniels (Beal has a player option for a second season, and Damo, Wags and Jervis are all 2yrs + option for third year) so unless they just didn't mention it initially, Knight, Hire and Redhage all have 1yr left locked in after this...

That's the good and bad about signing so many players for multiple seasons, I guess... Locks them in, but have very little wriggle room (unless you're willing to cut players and pay them out - which both gives the team a crap reputation and makes a mockery of the whole point of being contracted). It's not a problem when you get to lock players like Knight, Damo, Jervis and Hire in, but if you keep doing it, sometimes you have to stick with/honour your mistakes...

Reply #515758 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Would not be surprised to see a genuine Point Guard there that can run an offence and defend and think he will be from QLD and currently at college

Jeez, I wonder how they've lasted so long without one of those...

Reply #515760 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I guess thats the major difference between the two clubs. Perth fans expect success each season. Kings fans just wish for management with some level of competency. I know which camp I'd rather be in.

Reply #515789 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No crisis, but what fan doesn't want their team to improve?
I don't think they'd have any plans to move on senior players, unless somebody wants out or something extraordinary happens. However the minor players all have "options" in their contracts.

As for Hire's DP year, well it will either be counted or not. I don't know, but its not worth arguing over.

I should imagine that U'U's points remain at 2 for the duration of his contract, which is another 2 seasons.

Reply #515790 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I guess thats the major difference between the two clubs. Perth fans expect success each season. Kings fans just wish for management with some level of competency. I know which camp I'd rather be in.

Me too :(

I remember the Golden Days of the multiple championships, so I definitely am not judging (or any serious level other than the standard "bloody Wildcats fans" type :) )

I wouldn't imagine that any senior players would like to go elsewhere, the Perth facilities and club are too top quality... Although that being said, I wouldn't be against kicking Cotter out and bringing the Golden Ranga back to Sydney, and hey, if he could tempt some of his past players back with the promise of a new regime in Sydney, all the better :)

There's no way that Hire's DP year should be counted, he wasn't a registered player, so even though he had some sort of contract with the Wildcats, it wasn't as a proper player... Unless Nick has a loophole set and he's got LeBron on the books as a cleaner so when he's done in the NBA he can come out here and already have his loyalty discount ;)

Reply #515804 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A backup PG is sorely needed. Currently if Damo went down injured they don't have a lot of options (besides Luke Martin). Would probably have to try Beal at Point.
Obviously you can't stack your bench with quality backups, but having somebody with some PG experience would be beneficial, even if only to give Damo a decent spell when needed. Plus it would be nice when Damo is running dry, to have somebody you could throw on for a few minutes and maybe connect a few.

Reply #515818 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 6 months...

When are the points announced?
What happens if points drop AND the team & player agree to renegotiate the contract?

If there are no other changes in points then they have 4 points to play with. AT a minimum that suggests an upgrade to either Ross or U'U. How long does it take to come back from an Achilles?

Haven't seen much of their DP's, so no idea if the Cats are interested in adding any of them.

Reply #518900 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Their pre-ordered "name on player singlet" dealio seems to suggest that U'U has been retained and the list is relatively unchanged. There is a spot for the "Import" and one for the "10th Player" which suggests that Ross may be "upgraded" using the spare points.

Reply #526212 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well, it IS official!
Hire's DP year counted, so you can all have a big cry.

Ross hasn't been re-signed, and U'U has apparently chosen not to remain.

Disappointed about Ross, but he was a difficult player to find a role for.

So by my counts, the Cats have 11 points to spend on two players. {Plus the obligatory 10 point import.)

Although I wonder what could happen if they sign Martin and Redhage to NEW contracts?!?
(Let the screaming begin...)

I cannot figure out how Ross has been bumped to 5 points? After limited minutes, then rupturing his Achilles, that will make it hard for him to get another gig unless he can appeal it down.

Not sure WHAT to make of that "Free Agents" list? I really doubt Brad Robbins is planning a comeback?

I would expect that with at least 11 points to spend, the Cats will be looking for at least one BIG signing.

Reply #528547 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No Ross and No U'U, so how are people going to complain about the Cats being All American?

With Bevo taking on the Hawks gig, I'd suggest that if Lisch returns it will be there.

If my earlier count was correct, then the Cats have 8 points to spend on another Bench Guard. I'm wondering if there's anyone decent out there who has yet to re-sign?
Otherwise, my understanding is that they could actually go for a couple of players? Have 11 provided they stay within the caps?
Obviously one GOOD player is preferable to two lessor players, but perhaps if they were looking at a couple more college returnees?

Any rumours on players they might be looking at for the import spot?
I understand they are scouting in the US, looking at potential NBA draftees?

Reply #534384 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754