Dazz
Years ago

Blood rule delays during Perth game

Got a (serious) question on this.
When the refs send somebody off for blood, is it like some "semi-official" policy to then phaff around for ever, so that the team is not disadvantaged?

Redhage got sent off a minor scrape below his knee, and by the time the refs were satisfied he was on the sidelines ready to sub back in.

Then Damo "dribbled" all over the court, and I could have gone for Pizza in the time it took to satisfy the refs. Even after the wipers had spayed and scrubbed everywhere, the refs were still not happy. So again, by the time the game was ready to restart, he was back sitting on the bench, fully bandaged, ready to go.

There was also a NZ player sent off at one point, although I wasn't paying as much attention to the phaffing duration at that point.

Topic #36501 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Do you mean the strict regulations related to the cleaning process?

Reply #515628 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

The Redhage one was strange. Took just seconds to stop his bleeding, but when he was forced off, Beal subbed in and was therefore the guy to take Shawn's free throws.
Shawn was well and truly good by the time the blood was cleaned up, and tried to sub back in.
Not sure why he wasn't allowed to do so.
I was actually angry at him for trying. It was a nice break in our favour having Beal allowed to take Shawn's free throws. Shawn was bricking everything. But he should have been allowed back on IMO.

Reply #515629 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Do you mean the strict regulations related to the cleaning process?

This was beyond strict.

And particularly in Redhage's case there was also a lot of talking, to the coaches, scorers, players.
His case was QUICKLY cleaned, they just wasted a lot of time afterwards.

Reply #515631 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Shawn was well and truly good by the time the blood was cleaned up, and tried to sub back in.
Not sure why he wasn't allowed to do so.

FIBA Rules:
5.6. During the game, any player who is bleeding or has an open wound must be substituted.
19.2.4. A player who has become a substitute and a substitute who has become a player cannot respectively re-enter the game or leave the game until the ball becomes dead again, after a clock-running phase of the game

Reply #515637 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

It wasn't the refs fault. The floor wipers were completely not interested in cleaning up with any sort of urgency. I don't think that job should be left to a couple of kids.

Reply #515661 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

The job should never be left to the floor wipers. Maybe the Game Cmmissioner or someone else dedicated tothat situation should do that job. There should be a blood kit on the score bench at the ready and it should be a process that whilst never often used should be done in a speedy and well organised manner.

Reply #515664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were blood kits at both ends of the floor near the wipers. During the longer delay, a wiper from the other end of the court came down with his kit too. So it was all set up properly but for whatever reason, it wasn't done in anything close to a speedy manner.

There were further delays because after the kids has sprayed and wiped the floor, it suddenly dawned on someone that they'd need to mop up the wet spots too.

It all seemed like no one was trained for the "emergency" situation.

Reply #515674 | Report this post

Years ago

in Adelaide the blood kit is at the scorers bench, manager from Adelaide cleans the blood up, it has to be sprayed with disinfected then wiped up.

If player has to sub out from injury can't sub back in without a clock running phase, unless everyone else fouled out or the team only has five players.

sub for player takes the foul shots if shots were awarded.

Reply #515684 | Report this post

BruzDB  
Years ago

The delay with the Redhage sub was because no one noticed the blood on the court until Beal had subbed in and was at the free throw line. Then no one seemed to know who was responsible for cleaning it up. The fact it is left up to the teenage floor wipers is disgraceful!

Reply #515700 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

I hope the kids wore gloves!

Reply #515702 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Yes they had gloves on. There was nothing wrong with the process, except for the timing/lack of urgency of it all.

Reply #515705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So there is blood which usually a home team manager takes care of.

The Cats have a million staff members, more than any other team on the bench, yet not one is assigned this task? and then floor wiper kids who aren't trained go and do it... lol

Reply #515770 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I THINK the wipers are actually volunteers, at least that's what I think the announcer said at one point. As in "How about a big round of applause for our volunteer floor wipers."

Reply #515793 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754