Grovermister
Years ago

36ers/Wildcats vs who...?

Who do people think the 36ers and Wildcats would rather play in a Semi Final Series?

(Noting the top two are set)

Winning form is good form but you learn more from losses...?

As a 36ers supporter and the mementum and recent succes we/they have had against those above us i believe they do not fear either team but i beleive they match up better against New Zealand than Cairns...

However to win the lot you have to beat either in a semi/Grand Final..

Would Perth prefer to play Carins than New Zealand in a Semi?

either way the games Friday AND games on Sunday will be awesome to watch.......pity that NBL/Ten in their lack of wisdom are showing two games that have little interst to anyone... how good would it have been to televise the Perth@36ers on Friday and Taipans@Breakers on Sunday...

Topic #36509 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Prefer to play Cairns. I think NZ are a bit more battle-hardened. Guys like Jackson, Vukona and Abercrombie now have enough experience with finals pressure, plus then you have cocksure Webster prone to running up the score and frisky Ibekwe.

I'm not convinced that the Taipans have the same qualities, regardless of their position on the ladder.

For Adelaide, the strength is in the frontcourt, so I think we match up well either way having Motum and Johnson to give a relentless offensive option in the paint. I find the big line-ups where Motum or Johnson play SF with Schenscher out there with them quite amusing and would love to see that work in a finals situation.

All that said, if you finish third and win through, you have HCA in the event that the fourth place side knocks off what will probably be Cairns.

I imagine Perth will want to leave Adelaide with NZ, given NZ are 4-0 against them this season. So, Adelaide could take the harder SF route but potentially get HCA in a grand-final rematch.

Should be an excellent play-offs.

Reply #515878 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Definitely prefer the Cats to be playing Cairns in the semi finals. BUT, if they are going to having any chance of winning the Championship they will need to go the route of beating NZ in the semis and either playing Cairns in the Final or get HCA over 36ers.

Reply #515886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All four have beaten each other I believe. Tighest final four in a decade.

Reply #515893 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

another way to look at this i suppose is who do carins and new zealand want to play in a semi final?

Reply #515901 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"All four have beaten each other I believe."

Breakers swept Perth 4-0

Reply #515906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh wow 4-0

the way cats fan pump up their team lead me to believe otherwise

Reply #515908 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Either of Cairns or NZ should be worried if they drop their first semi final at home.

Until then, I doubt either semi final match up will cause either team too much worry.

Reply #515909 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"the way cats fan pump up their team "

huh?

Reply #515910 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Cairns have had a good season but limited finals experience as a group compared to at least two of the other teams. Not sure that is ideal but HCA may counter that.

Reply #515911 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"the way cats fan pump up their team lead me to believe otherwise"

I think your lack of following in the NBL led to that assumption.

Reply #515913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Train and other 'cats fan:

who will win the 2015 NBL Championship?

Reply #515915 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

After watching the basketball gods descend from on high at the Arena like Wilbur the Wildcat himself at the end of double overtime to kiss Cedric Jackson on the tip of his John Hancock, Cairns today, Cairns tomorrow, Cairns every day of the week.

Cairns are better than NZ, and in better form, but FFS, the Kiwis have sacrificed goats to Satan or something in order to pay us back for sweeping them last year.

Reply #515916 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"who will win the 2015 NBL Championship?"

Hard too say. All four have a chance. NZ or 36ers would be favorites but Cairns have HCA and Perth are a chance if the cards fall their way.

Reply #515918 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Cairns are better than NZ"

If NZ win this Sunday they both finish 20-8 and 2-2 in the series.

I don't think there is much between NZ, Cairns and Adelaide, while I think Perth will have to improve on the road if they're going to do any damage. They're 1-4 away against the other three and that one W came when Adelaide were struggling.

Reply #515923 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Perth will win the title easily. Sweep both series, other team might as well not show up.

Reply #515924 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Once Marvin changes the rules so they get HCA (under the 'capacity clause') they'll be fine.

Reply #515926 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

are you that confident Uwe Blab that you will put your money where your mouth is?

i am sure perth would be paying nicely to win both 2-0

kudos if you are right... i will buy you a beer if perth do win both series 2-0

Reply #515927 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Cairns - Home court advantage in the Semis, same in the GF if they make it. Not anywhere near as finals hardened as Perth, NZ and Adelaide but their form this season can't be denied.

NZ - Same HCA in the Semis and GF as Cairns if they make it. Not in the best form, though Sunday will have restored some confidence lost when Adelaide beat them at home. Most have been there, done that. The biggest danger IMO.

Perth - Will only get HCA in the GF (should they make it) if other results go their way. Defence isn't a problem, but their offence is misfiring. With a 0-4 record against NZ some might think they'd probably be hoping for Cairns in the Semis, but will play whoever is put in front of them. Still, I don't think they quite have it this year.

Adelaide - The form team of the top 4 but like Perth face the prospect of not having HCA through the finals unless other results fall their way. The win last Thursday will have given them confidence that they can beat the Breakers, and I think we can beat both Cairns and Perth. With the strongest front court in the NBL and a PG who is a strong candidate for league MVP, Adelaide could well be "Title Town" again.

Honestly though, I don't think its a case of who would a team rather play. They will all go out there to win regardless of who it is they are playing.

Reply #515930 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I was kidding. I just told that evil mastermind anon what he wanted to hear.

I've had NZ as my favourites all year and I still think that is the case.

Reply #515931 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Would Sunday have restored NZ's confidence? They may be freaking out that they've burned all their luck for the rest of the year lol

Reply #515938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting on 36ers facebook page the team is already discussing a potential 36ers home advantage in a grand final series vs Wildcats.... Getting a bit ahead of themselves?
For that to happen they need to beat Cats this weekend plus then beat NZ in semis and Cats to beats Cairns in semis.. A lot has to go their way for that to even happen, not sure why they would even be discussing it to be honest?

Reply #515943 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The way they talk themselves up, they must have swept every other team this season.

Reply #515944 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think Adelaide and NZ are the front runners. Should they meet in the semis, which is looking likely then I think the winner of that series will go on to win the Championship.

Barring anything too drastic I am leaning towards Adelaide. They have the depth and front court to get players (particularly those who are foul prone like Vukona) into foul trouble.

Reply #515946 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

Uwe Blab...

We have...

since 19 Dec have only lost to New Zealand...

So yeah we have beaten every team in that period...

and that game against New Zealand we should have won... lol

Reply #515950 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Grovermister...Perth fans could argue that they should have won the game on the weekend against NZ too.

There are only wins and losses - not should haves.

Reply #515952 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The problem with the 36ers at the moment is that they're basically Douglas MacArthur. Could be twice as good as they are and they still wouldn't be half as good as they think they are ;)

They are definitely in title contention though.

Reply #515953 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

They've got around a 25% chance of winning!

Reply #515957 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Tornado,

I'm sticking with the curse theory - Vukona and the Breakers have done what Chapman and Geelong did against Hawthorn, made a pact with the Dark Powers. I fear for our next six games with the Breakers :(

Reply #515958 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

yeah i could go through the whole season and state that we should have mroe wins than losses than we have had...

no one was EVER going to beat Melbourne when they hit a ridiculous amount of threes that night... saying that some other teams may have not given them so many open looks... but yeah... swings and roundabouts...

4 deserving teams in the finals and all could win the lot in 3 weeks time

Reply #515959 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

In recent weeks Sixers def Breakers and Cairns, Perth def Cairns and narrowly lost to Breakers.

Sixers Vs Perth and Cairns Vs Breakers will be very interesting to watch.

Reply #515970 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Hopefully no injuries!

Reply #515971 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I hope Cairns win the GF myself. It would be great for Basketball in that region, considering the still unknown BS that is the Brisbane bid.

Reply #515972 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think it would be great for Australia if the Wildcats win it again because reasons.

Failing that, go Cairns!

Reply #515977 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I wouldn't be overly upset to see Adelaide take home the trophy. They have paid their dues in recent times

Reply #515980 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Its the 36ers title too lose at this point. Cant imagine Id be saying this, but the way the other 3 are playing compared to how the 36ers are says so. Fearless up tempo basketball. No one wants to play Adelaide, and thats how you want it going into a 4 team finals!

Reply #515990 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Having said that, hope 36ers get NZ, and Perth somehow knock off Cairns so we get home court and win it infant of the fans.

Reply #515991 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, I think Adelaide-Perth would be a superb showdown.

Prefer to see one of Adelaide or Cairns win it. Adelaide have ridden out some tough years, and Cairns' fans have been waiting long enough.

Reply #515992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Perth can win the championship.

I will actually be suprised if they win a playoff series this year.

Reply #515993 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Oh boy thats gonna bring on some chit chat from a few posters haha Yeah I tend to agree. Was an amazing finish and grind out game against NZ, but that first half, Perth looked woeful and confused on offense. If they take that form into a semi they'll will be exploited. But its sport, its finals, anything can happen i guess.

Reply #515994 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"I don't think Perth can win the championship"

I'd be waiting to see the result of the 36ers vs Cats game for making that statement :P

NZ are in a bit of form slump also and I think Perth match up pretty well against Carins.

Perth certainly wont be favorites but don't write them off quite yet. Lets not forget they were top of the table before Knight and Ross went down ;)

Reply #515996 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Quick, anon, double-down. If you're really serious, make it won't win a game.

Reply #515999 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Let's be clear, right now Perth are fourth in line for championship favouritism. Predicting that, and the results to go accordingly, doesn't make the point you think it makes.

Reply #516002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was anon #515993.

I've seen too many offensive droughts from Perth the second half of the season. It looks at times like they may never score again.

If the likes of Damo and Redhage can't generate points and too much is left to Beal they'll struggle to get past NZ and the 36ers.

Like others, I do prefer the Cairns matchup for them as Cairns don't have inside fire power that NZ and the 36ers have. That said winning a game in Cairns won't be easy.

Reply #516003 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'd want Adelaide to come 3rd.
NZ/Cairns are both tough match-ups. Craig loves playing us, which makes Cairns another level of dangerous against us specifically. I'd give us roughly the same chance to beat Cairns or NZ in a 3 game series, whereas I'd give Perth a better chance at beating Cairns than NZ (they beat them both times they had Knight playing, vs 0-4 against NZ). So us coming 3rd gives us a very outside, but still possible chance at having the home GF (which I think we need to win it all).
On current form, I'd back us to win the first round of the playoffs (not saying we will, but we have the form needed to do it). So if it means we can either play Cairns in the GF (who I'd be happy to see win it if we don't), or have a home GF against Perth, that's the outcome I want.

Reply #516004 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As I have said elsewhere, whilst the Cats have the best defence and can give the finals a shake, 3-game series tend to allow the better team to triumph, and I just don't think they're that good.

Sunday was Cats at their almost their defensive best, Daniels had what for him was a good game, and Beal nailed some clutch baskets. And it wasn't enough.

As discussed in the X-Factor thread, their x-factor is Martin's shooting. He made some beautiful moves to the basket early against NZ, and didn't connect, tried a few 3-bombs, missed the lot, and lost confidence. If he starts hitting early, could be a different game. BUT what are the chances he does that in 2 out of 3 games?

NZ have been up and down like yoyos in recent games, They are finals hardened, but difficult to predict this year.

Adelaide are also tough to predict in finals. The proof, as they say, will be in the pudding.

The "obvious" answer is to say that the Cats would prefer to play Cairns. They have comfortably beaten then twice, and only lost without Knight & Hire.
And I suspect the 6's might prefer NZ, as The Breakers have been less consistent.
I suppose in that scenario, if both win, Cats could avoid travelling to Auckland altogether.

Personally, well yeah I'm starting to hate NZ. Typical kiwis they didn't even have the decency to make the finals last year so we could beat them. LOL
So if we're going to lose a SF, I would prefer to lose to Cairns.

Reply #516011 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754