Isaac
Years ago

Potential NBL dunk comp format

I can appreciate that an NBL All Star Game is occasionally not held because it's a lot of effort for little return. I do however see the advantages of extending the current pre-season Blitz tournament.

At the Blitz, all teams and players are already in attendance so it's easier to organise player and team photos, media questions and so on in addition to the typical pre-season games.

It's been mentioned before, but I'd like to see the NBL do some athlete tests at this time to build some player data and develop some pre-season talking points. Who's the fastest player? The tallest (really, not just their agent's guess), heaviest/lightest, the greatest wingspan or highest vertical? Who's the strongest?

One format they could try at the Blitz for a dunk comp is to have a fixed list of dunks, plus some open options. Any interested players could have a crack or two at the dunks on the list, or try something inventive of their own. Each dunk attempt would be filmed from a couple of angles, dark stadium in the style Wollongong have done a couple of pre-season promos, or Melbourne's effort this year. I think the NBL used that style in their promo the other year too.

Often, NBA players run out of inventive dunks. I'd seen the ones this year done before. I can't remember many unique dunks in recent years other than Dwight's sticker dunk or 12' dunk, McGee dunking on two-rings or with three balls, or maybe Ibaka grabbing the stuffed toy with his teeth, or the candle dunk. It's often slim pickings, even for the best.

The NBA's also shown that broadcasting the world's best live can still be unimpressive. The HORSE tournament this year was supposedly a brick-fest.

So, adding a greater pool of material and some curation might mean that the NBL gets better results. After the event, you'd have raw footage of potentially 100 dunks.

Then NBL greats, media or the players themselves would refine it to the best 10.

For each of these 10 dunks, a video would be polished with the multiple angles, slow-mos, music and intro/outro title graphics. Fans would view and vote online, 10-1 or for their top three or whatever they want. From this, the winner is picked.

This way, the league isn't broadcasting a series of missed or bland dunks. Players have more shots at it, so they can be reckless or go for power or try to pull off something unlikely. And because each player is mostly dunking in front of their peers, there's less crowd pressure to throw them off.

There could be secondary awards such as for the best shorter dude (Nate Robinson-style), or for the lumbering centres.

Topic #36525 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with you and this format, it would surely help the league at make it look good, espicially if you post the angles and stuff to youtube.

Reply #516240 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Great ideas there Isaac. It would also be good to hold a skills challenge at the Blitz as well.

Reply #516243 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I think most importantly this would give the league some stock footage to use for promos, especially if you have a few different angles.

You can show some in game footage, with a montage of these dunks throughout.

Reply #516250 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

why dont we compile a list of what we want to see and submit it to the NBL formally?

Its ideas like these that would keep US as fans keep coming back and those fringe people want to come and see...

Reply #516253 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Huge fan of these ideas !!! As mentioned in another thread , this could really raise the profile of the Blitz Tournament. It would also give fans and media the chance to see some of the new imports and rookies before the season starts.

I got no problems with an all star weekend being at the start of the season with the Blitz :P

Reply #516258 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If a pre-season ASG (renamed exhibition game and potentially with modified rules) needs to know who the best players are before the season is played, the players could be decided by a fan vote. Few favourites and a few "interested to see more of this new guy".

And Bulldog, that's what I was thinking. Gives the league more stock footage to use, and the dark background means a meagre or non-existent crowd isn't an issue.

Reply #516315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About effort. Putting in effort reaps results. This is the problem with the NBL - to them everything requires too much effort, therefore they decide it's not worth doing or done in a half arse manner. Then while sitting on their hands ponder why league popularity is diving. Lazy and incompetent.

Reply #516347 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

#347, out of interest, are you the same person who just had a go at other people for criticising Gleeson and other coaches?

Reply #516348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no? which thread is that

Reply #516351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do not like dunk competition because during the game everybody is expecting the same if not better.

Reply #516403 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754