Anon
Years ago

Quitting Summer Season

So we paid $400 for Summer Season and after having issues getting a coach now the kids have not trained often this year and 2 of 13 games cancelled due to heat and if is looking potentially like this weekends regular game and makeup game being cancelled as well. So 10 games for $500 including the entry fees for my child and myself. Now School basketball has started and 2 games cancelled and only 1 training due to heat again. Similar situation last season.

Quitting Summer Season next year and putting the $1000 wasted over 2 years towards a decent basketball ring in the back yard and a new ball and some summer swimming lessons..

Topic #36527 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear what you're saying and it sounds like:

"Wah, wah, wah. Wah, wah, wah. Wah, wah, wah."

Reply #516248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its sounds like BSA is not providing an exceptable service and clubs are losing players because of it.

$1.3M in the bank but no aircon ,double bye's and lop sided competitions.

Reply #516256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which club charges $400 for summer and then not offer proper trainings

Reply #516259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ones who have their training times taken by BSA for Sunday catch up games.

Reply #516260 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

The Whyalla Basketball Association recently ( last month) replaced its air conditioners in its 3 court stadium (www.whyallabasketball.com.au/news/457-hot-weather-for-saturday) and now has been able to avoid cancelling games even when the outside temp is over 38.

Having also replaced the floor 2 - 3 years ago they now have a great facility and certainly don't charge $500 for a season, more like $60 for juniors and $90 for adults.

Anyone looking for a game - head to the Whyalla.

Now the governmet will try to persuade / bribe them to move into a shared multi sport complex where they have to schedule around netball, volleyball, indoor soccer etc.

Reply #516264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have the over priced season fees both summer and Winter.

Reply #516266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After taking into account the volunteer levy Forestville have, their fee's for a calendar year are $30 more expensive than Sturt.

Reply #516267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus Sturt reschedule their training on sunday mornings for those teams who have sessions at Pasadena when it is cancelled.

Reply #516268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares? You've said you won't be back next season, so you've made a decision. You won't be missed.

Reply #516270 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Could it be a good idea for BA to ditch summer All together and instead create a longer winter season.

Perhaps some sort of preseason competition over February and then run the season March through to September with finals October.

Break it up a little mid season with some sort of tournament as well.

Feb - preseason tournement
March, April, June - first half of season
July - mid season tournament
August, September - finish off the season
October - finals

November, December, January would allow teams to form, train and mould while still allowing a reasonable Christmas break.

To me something like this would be a lot better then a poor summer season, with cancelled games, large mid season breaks, and wierd grading periods.

Reply #516271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA would lose too much money...

Reply #516273 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

2 or 3 people don't like it.... what about the several hundred that keep coming back ?

$500 for at least 70 hrs direct involvement is still pretty good ......

IMO payments should be relevant to what you are getting - if you train at a shite time, with 4 teams in one session and 2 in the other time slot and older venue - why should other get a better / dearer to hire venue at the rolls royce times and still pay the same fees ?

should be a little discount i.e. 10% off etc

Reply #516284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you know its only 2 or 3 people who don't like it?

Reply #516285 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

poster 270. How do you know I won't be missed. You know nothing about me or what I may do for basketball or could do. You do not know what I do in Winter season. You also assume all the Anons are the OP. Parents are so desperate to have happy kids and work on the ideal that 'as long as they are happy'. meanwhile they are breaking the bank for Division 3/4 on Saturday mornings, missing out on other sports, losing their weekends and family time in Summer exhausting themsves and their kids for $1,000.00 for 10 games while the 1/2 players have everything they could want or need thrown at them for the same price and have their saturdays free to play other sports and have a free day. It sounds like a bad bad deal to me. You can play domestic Saturday afternoon at life be in it or elsewhere for under $200 at the same place, parents get in free, train when you like, still do school sports and have a weekend away without being told your kid will be benched for having a life. This is what is destroying basketball. The lower grades should be the more user friendly cheaper system and those who commit and chose it as their sport required to commit and compromise. It is all back to front and i just got some perspective on life. My child will be happier when he realises he can have loads of fun and still play basketball for less money at a similar standard for less compromise for our family and have weekends away. You may not miss me but I will be happier and so will my child and we will still love basketball, watch and play but have a better balance in life. Try it you may like it too..

Reply #516303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know you are someone who knew what you were paying for beforehand, then complains and whinges about it. Play domestic, it is EXACTLY there for the reasons you mentioned. Don't expect district basketball to lower its standards to what you are willing to put in after you commit to it. As said before, goodbye. It doesn't matter which club you are associated with, but I sure hope it's not mine. You won't be missed.

Reply #516316 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There it is. Exactly why district basketball is not the place for some people. The toxic aggressive nastiness it carries. And by the way this post was just to stimulate conversation about Summer seasons failings and the poor entry point it is to the sport. Seriously you are the one that needs to go as my child does not lower the standard of district, he raises it and again you made the assumption. You are obviously an obnoxious person who has no concept of the cost on families and diversity some families have and the issues some families facs delending on the luck of which tem you land in. I'm glad I am not at your club but perhaps you are and i have a fair idea who you are and that may be a reason for leaving too.. adios

Reply #516336 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

Looks like both days this weekend are lost now as well. Maybe catch ups 1st march and 15th to balance it out?

Reply #516355 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

Weekend 14 / 15 march maybe finals weekend to allow for catch ups

Reply #516356 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would've thought that a complaint about paying and expecting a volume of games and trainings, then not getting them, is fair enough? Also, it's helpful to hear reasons behind decisions like this rather than stumbling along and guessing.

Reply #516359 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

thanks isaac. yes obvious to most this is an issue that with changes in weather patterns needs to be considered for the good of and viability of the sport.

Reply #516362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14/15 is start of premier league season. It is a double header- this would impact of avaialibility of key personnel to ref, coach etc

Reply #516363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1st March preseason tournament.

Reply #516365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You sook about it being too big of a commitment AND about games and trainings being called off? Pick a side for your whinge.
Most people know the reasons - the BSA heat policy. Which is a good sound policy that all clubs should be following for their club trainings as well (if they don't have their own) as BSA games.
Play domestic. District basketball will survive without you.

Reply #516441 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

it all comes back to tin sheds..

Reply #516483 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754