Anonymous
Years ago

'Match Day Experience'

Here is a Herald Sun article from Titus O'Reilly regarding match day experience at the footy.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/titus-oreilly-what-the-hell-is-a-match-day-experience/story-fni0ffsx-1227225352545

Although he is a comedic writer, this definitely applies to me with the NBL - I'm there to watch basketball and couldn't care less about a bunch of teenagers attempting dunks off a trampoline at quarter time or music blaring all game etc.
What are your thoughts?

Topic #36529 | Report this topic

Haz  
Years ago

It would be pretty boring if all you got was just a game of basketball, and no "game day experience". You would find it hard to get decent crowds if that was to happen.

Like it or not, basketball is the type of sport that needs a bit of entertainment on the side to keep enough casual fans interested.

Personally, from a Wildcats fan, I thought the trampoline dunks thing was very good and added to the overall package.

Reply #516292 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Having said that though, I do agree that there is way too much in game music being played. But it still needs to be there, otherwise the game would be really dull with no crowd interaction. Ive seen NBA games live and I found those to be quite boring, despite them not needing "gimmicks" as much.

Reply #516293 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

'It would be pretty boring if all you got was just a game of basketball, and no "game day experience"'

Haz - the basketball game IS my game-day experience. The rest is irrelevant to me.

That said, I have no problems with stuff being done during the longer game breaks. If it gets a few more people into the game, great. I can ignore it if I don't like it.

The music in games is a different matter. I've always found it irritating and a detraction from the spectacle on the court. It's one reason I find NBL more enjoyable to watch on TV, as the music doesn't intrude so much on my enjoyment.

In the case of the NBL, I don't know whether the inclusion of these extraneous activities around the game materially increase ticket prices. Probably not? If they did, then there's a value for money issue for someone who perceives little or no value in them.

Reply #516299 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The entertainment at NBL games has always been a big issue for me. On the one hand, the entertainment is a bit of overkill, and there is too much happening around the game - especially the court MC never shutting up and the DJ playing too much music.

However, I maintain that basketball is the type of sport that really does need a bit of this in order to liven up the atmosphere somewhat.

I love basketball, but for me basketball is the type of game that doesn't have a particularly good crowd involvement. Its just not a passionately engaging sport for spectators to go off their nut over - unless its a big play, or a momentum shifting moment, or something really exciting happens.

I see value for money with entertainment being added - as long as its done well. In the NBL, the entertainment can be a little bit on the poorer side of things, and I hope the NBL can improve in this area in future seasons.

Reply #516307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You all need to check out some college ball, especially March Madness. Crowd involvement is amazing! I know there's the "school spirit" thing that college has going for it, but what about NBA teams like Golden State who put on a great show.

I do agree with the points about music during an NBL game though. It's embarrassing... Not only the choice of music but the timing, excessive volume at random moments and the competition for noise with the MC.

Last time I went to an NBL game it was like a DJ vs MC noise battle, with basketball a distant third.

Reply #516318 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I used to go to every tigers game until the music got so loud and ANNOYING that I stopped. What I hear on TV is enough to keep me away.

If those who turn up aren't there for the basketball,wtf are they there for then?

Reply #516321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not enough passion from the fans exists in the NBL to strip down the entertainment like in Europe or US college where it isn't needed as much.

There aren't enough pure basketball fans in Aus to sustain a pro league so the added 'entertainment' is a necessary evil.

Hoopie a lot of people go for 'entertainment' not basketball. It sucks but it is what it is.

Reply #516323 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Agree - College ball looks great. As do the Golden State Warriors games. I would love to see a big college game live. I can only comment on my own experiences though. 2 NBA games I went to last year - unfortunately were to see the current Lakers (without Kobe) and the Knicks (5-34 at the time and no Melo, Stoudamire etc...). Both games were dull, played with no energy and the crowd were pretty much silent. I was really looking forward to the starting 5 intros but they were no where near as good live as they looked on youtube.

Lack of music (organ music only, which I quite like) and no rev up from the announcer (which is also a good thing) made it a pretty dull experience overall. Those games actually needed that! In comparison, Wildcats games are so much better with the game day experience, even though its over the top at times.

I like basketball on its own, but I also want to see an overall "game day experience" as well.

Reply #516324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about the above. Very suspect comparison there.

I've been to Wildcats games and NBA. Most of the NBA games I saw were dud no contests but the amazing professionalism of the entertainment put on in and around the game was amazing and made you enjoy it even though the game was a fail.

On the other hand Wildcats/NBL entertainment is really weak and comes across as amateurish and tryhard compared to NBA. It is a pale imitation.

Reply #516327 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think I quite like the announcer, he helps keep the crowd involved, and conveys information when the crowd may have missed it (off the ball fouls etc).

I personally don't really like the dancers, music, etc. BUT as have noted, I do get frustrated when there are too many delays. If others are frustrated, and they enjoy the interludes, then maybe its a good thing.

At the footy, one thing that really annoys the heck out of me is people that wander in 5~10 minutes after the quarter has started, especially when they have to barge their way to seats.
That is rarely a problem at the Cats games, so I suspect that even subconsciously the excessive pre-game build up encourages people to arrive earlier.

Reply #516332 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Not questioning the professionalism of the NBA - They are no doubt a far superior beast to the NBL. Its just the games itself were dull, run of the mill mid-week games featuring lottery bound teams and because of that, it lacked energy and hype. My fault for picking those games to go and see!

If I saw the Warriors, or another top NBA team it would be a different story, so the comparison is a bit unfair. Although despite the dull game, the entertainment just wasn't there either. The Knicks game was particularly bad. An example being in that all time outs featured shots of the crowd on the big screen, and celebrity spotting. Cheerleaders performed just once all night, and not much else was happening. Maybe they were all having an off night?

Reply #516333 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That is rarely a problem at the Cats games, so I suspect that even subconsciously the excessive pre-game build up encourages people to arrive earlier.
Often they want people there earlier to inflate food/bev sales.

I don't think there's a clear answer to game day entertainment. Announcer and music can help, but too much is annoying. Something happening at half-time is great, but sometimes it's awkward, poorly executed or boring. Anything that requires excessive explanation can easily fall flat.

I'm inclined to think though that effort on mediocre entertainment is wasted. Sometimes you'd be better off having 20 kids run around advertising junior basketball, have their parents pay to attend, and then spend your time/money instead on something that will help. Half-court shots require no explanation and you don't need to offer a car to get volunteers.

But I absolutely think more can be done for kids. Big Bash has kids in coloured wigs and other merch. Giveaways at basketball games are always popular.

I think teams could get results from little more than juniors plus a half-court shot (5 people and a $100-200 prize), and then sponsored giveaways during the minor breaks.

Reply #516388 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pick better NBA teams to watch!
The Knicks and Lakers are horrible so I'm not surprised you were bored.

I'm in Oakland now with pretty good tickets (lower bowl) for the Warriors Vs Spurs tomorrow night and I couldn't be more excited as I know I'm going to see some of the best players in the world go at it.

Reply #516420 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Something happening at half-time is great, but sometimes it's awkward, poorly executed or boring.
The Wildcats just stick a WABL team out there and let them scrimmage for five minutes or so. Easy to ignore for those who don't care, gives others something to look at.

Reply #516422 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As I'm sure its being mentioned a lot before, it would be a great idea to turn the games into a party atmosphere.

Of course, balancing this with the family atmosphere will be tough.

But, I feel teams should target younger, university students, young professionals more.

I'm a Chiefs member - safe to say, having the opportunity to smash cans at the Rugby is a driving factor. If it was a dry event, I'd sit at home and watch it.

Reply #516433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think teams could get results from little more than juniors plus a half-court shot (5 people and a $100-200 prize), and then sponsored giveaways during the minor breaks."

That about sums up the 36ers halftime and quarter time activities through the 1990s. I was fine with that when I was a season ticket holder. As Koberulz says, "Easy to ignore for those who don't care, gives others something to look at."

Reply #516481 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

We can have music and razzamatazz - in moderation. Just don't lose sight of the fact that it is a basketball game! The game's the [primary] thing & so SHOULD be the main focus. It often isn't.

Other sports are building more extraneous activity around their games but are not burying the game under superfluous junk.

The NBL, sadly, has yet to get this key message: 'entertainment' is good, but the crowd is there for the baskeball. The Game's the thing.

Hopefully, if enough people keep saying it often enough ...

One can always dream.

Reply #516485 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Cats also do a huge pre-game setup on Sundays, outside the Arena. Fun & Games for the kids

Reply #516688 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754