Anonymous
Years ago

WNBL Finals 2015

So, another year, another finals series.

Will it be Bendigo/Townsville 3?
Will Dandenong make a charge?
Will Sydney surprise everyone?

Bendigo - Two time reigning defending champions, while they have lost Kristi Harrower, they have made work of Townsville in the regular season split. Finals is another story, Kelsey Griffin expected to have a blinder.

Townsville - No excuses, they have all the pieces to the puzzle along with a homecourt semi-final, this is their chance to seize it.

Dandenong - Have been in in-form team until the loss to Townsville, but they face Sydney who will look to expose their posts, expect them to take care of Sydney with Taylor/Pondexter to shoulder the load, Kunek and Pickrel need to contribute to help ease the load.

Sydney - A bit of luck with results, but they have made the finals, should look to control the paint and go to work inside if they have a chance to defeat the Rangers, along with slowing down their transition game.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Topic #36531 | Report this topic

WNBL Finals 2015  
Years ago

So, another year, another finals series.

Will it be Bendigo/Townsville 3?
Will Dandenong make a charge?
Will Sydney surprise everyone?

Bendigo - Two time reigning defending champions, while they have lost Kristi Harrower, they have made work of Townsville in the regular season split. Finals is another story, Kelsey Griffin expected to have a blinder.

Townsville - No excuses, they have all the pieces to the puzzle along with a homecourt semi-final, this is their chance to seize it.

Dandenong - Have been in in-form team until the loss to Townsville, but they face Sydney who will look to expose their posts, expect them to take care of Sydney with Taylor/Pondexter to shoulder the load, Kunek and Pickrel need to contribute to help ease the load.

Sydney - A bit of luck with results, but they have made the finals, should look to control the paint and go to work inside if they have a chance to defeat the Rangers, along with slowing down their transition game.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Reply #516358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville beating Bendigo
Dandenong beating Sydney
Bendigo beating Dandenong (tight one)
Townsville beating Bendigo

Reply #516360 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Bendigo beating Townsville
Dandenong beating Sydney
Townsville beating Dandenong
Bendigo beating Townsville

3 on the trot!

Reply #516366 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Greg, I think you should put a $ or two on that bet mate!

Reply #516367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he wants to lose money...

Reply #516368 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

Too close to call between top 3

Reply #516369 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I struggle to pick Bendigo this season. At their best they are title material, but they're not nearly as consistent as they have been in previous years.
Dandenong are similar. World beaters on their day, but without much of a bench. If MacLeod is healthy that could make a world of difference to their fortunes.
Townsville have been strong all the way but I still don't trust Suzy in big games.

I'd say
Fire > Spirit
Rangers > Flames
Then Spirit-Rangers is anyone's guess?? Nothing would surprise me between those 2 teams, and whoever emerges will give the Fire a serious shake.

Greg's prediction could well come true.

I'm looking for Pondexter to take it up a notch. She's a proven playoff performer, and damn hard to stop if she gets going, especially if Kath is there to take some off her.

Reply #516375 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We're finally here! 19 weeks, a Christmas break in the middle and a whole lot of ball games have led to four teams playing in a total of four more games leading to a WNBL champion!

Semi Final week brings us a first vs. second Qualifying Final, plus a third vs. fourth Elimination Final. Let’s not dwell on it any longer and get stuck into the two cracking games we have this weekend....with ALL being shown on ABC TV!

Finals Week 1 Preview

Reply #516379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put your money on Wright chocking the Rangers players. All scared shitless of his aggressive, crystal ball crap!

Bendigo 3 peat, Wilson is a stud and makes big shots. Most under rated 5 man in the league and best combo 4/3. Put your money on the Braves.
Blicavs is the recruit of the past two years adding defensive toughness. Love the depth, love the group.

Rangers got dream draw playing Syd first round, will win by 15 plus and then get paddled by either of the top 2.

Go Braves!

Reply #516382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the Braves are their SEABL team?

Reply #516389 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

LC great write up there, really looking forward to these games this year :D

Reply #516392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't agree with everybody giving Sydney no chance, but i guess its been that way all season. Anybody who watched the Flames beat Townsville last week would not write them off...

Reply #516430 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Winning 3 road games in a row against the 3 best teams in the league is a tough ask. I just don't see it happening.

Reply #516460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope there are senior referee crews appointed to both games.

Reply #516462 | Report this post

meggsie  
Years ago

Townsville to win it all ! have all positions covered. have good structure, depth ,mainly all been together for a while , which is so important at this time of the year.
they have a few x- factors in their side that can change the game if things become stagnate,stale or dry up. in particular in francis!! and watch for alex Wilson to become a factor if injected at the right time..

Reply #516538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How healthy is Kelly Wilson?

How healthy is Kath McCleod?

How healthy is Ruef?

I basically have the home team winning every final all the way through to the grand final although it normally doesn't work that way.

Reply #516545 | Report this post

craftsman  
Years ago

if sydney get beyond the first round they have achieved big time.

Reply #516553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson just had a corked thigh, was rested for last weeks game, will be back for the Semi.

McCleod, meant to be playing this week, actually was injured, so won't know how she goes until the day.

Ruef was injured, no idea if she'll play, you'd assume so if she's 'close'.

Reply #516556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo are unstoppable as long as Blicavs minutes are restricted. Team game is the essence.

Reply #516597 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Ruef is back for Sydney...

Reply #516616 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

Is the game televised today nothing is showing that it is on the ABC.

Reply #516720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABC 2

Reply #516723 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yep, both games this weekend are being shown "LIVE!!" (to selected states :-/ ) on ABC2.

Reply #516736 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

Thank you.

Reply #516741 | Report this post

Blind much  
Years ago

At what point do the Rangers recognize that they need a new coach?

3 years in a row of having arguably top 2 talent and haven't won a playoff game.

Reply #516756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably wouldn't have hurt for Dandenong to have a crack and play the game out either, looked like once Taylor went down they just gave up.

Reply #516758 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Sydney have over achieved big time! Seebohm must be a chance for coach of the year. Beating Townsville to make the play offs and then Dandenong. They are a chance of winning against anyone...

Reply #516760 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Such a shame Taylor got injured, the Rangers were going to give the whole thing a big shake and do it playing really fun basketball.

Reply #516761 | Report this post

manos  
Years ago

sydney big time winners - when penny went off that seemed enough to swing the pendulum.

Reply #516762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney out scored Dandy 38-22 after Taylor went off. That is far more than can be explained by an injury to one player.

Reply #516763 | Report this post

Blind much  
Years ago

It's a shame Taylor got hurt, yes.

But 'playing a fun brand of basketball', Paul? Come on, old mate!

Pondexter forcing bad shots and stepping back threes? Kunik falling over every time a opposition player breathes next to her, then screaming for a foul call?

Give me a break...

Reply #516768 | Report this post

Dr  
Years ago

Hopefully this is the last year we see Wright at the helm! But its Dandening and Wright gets what Wright wants. Sick of watching a team play with no offence, no game plan other to 'run and scrap' please, spare me. He got out coached by a kid, with no head coaching finals experience. He kept his poise, made sure his team moved the ball, set screens and ran plays. As opposed to making one pass as the over played MacLeod had dribbled for 15 seconds and Pondexter jacking an ill advised shot.... I'm sorry, that rubbish don't win you finals. Another let down and another disappointing end for Rangers. Let's see if they can keep more than 15% of their players and keep a core to finally build something! Not holding my breath though. Plllleeeeeassse get rid of Wright!

Reply #516774 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Penny Taylor resurrected their season after a 1-4 start, and her absence cost them the semi-final.

Despite putting together arguably the most talented roster year-in, year-out, they just can't live up to all their promise.

Surely Mark Wright's stint is over. This is getting a bit silly now.

Reply #516775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Somehow Wright will remain head coach.

Half the group will leave.

Spend hundreds of thousands on imports/big namers

Lose in the play-offs.

Repeat!

Reply #516776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Said DR. How embarrassing losing to Sydney who don't have half the cattle or the budget to buy players.

I hope Lelani Mitchell is basking in her decision to leave. Kathleen is a yoyo and correct me if I'm wrong sat out a few weeks back injured.

Wright is a legend in his own lunchbox. If Rangers have any balls or management skills they would get rid of him and get a decent coach whilst Penny Taylor is around and willing to play.

Wright had the equivalent of 3 imports with Taylor and still couldn't make the prelims.

If Wright comes back Rangers will be the laughing stock of WNBL and professional sport in Australia.

Reply #516777 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Congrats to Sydney.
What a find Seebohm has been. He's really got the players on the same page, and even in an elimination game maintains that unflappable demeanour.

All the best to Penny for a speedy recovery. Pretty sure she's done that ankle before in a similar way, and will be just fine in a few weeks.

Reply #516778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice to see I wasn't the only one wondering if Wright's number was up after the Rangers crashed and burned once more.

Reply #516816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Needed to take McLeod off she just was not up to it and Kunek has lost the plot. Clydesdale was a standout. Anyone hear wrights speech after the game , he sounded like he knows his time is up

Reply #516819 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

Dan is right about Seebohm. The girls are having a great time playing for him and it shows. He seems able to identify what needs to change during a game, and the girls just implement. They have been great to watch this season.

For the record, they were also down by 19 in the third qtr last week against Townsville, so they clearly have a never die attitude and great self belief. I cannot see them beating either Bendigo or Townsville next week, but after watching the last 2 games i also cannot write them off!

Seebohm is coach of the year IMO.

Reply #516833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money speaks all languages and in Dandenong's case Mr Jayco won't hear of anyone else and he is funding that program so what do you do. Everyone can see they need a change in coach. Their budget and what they paid (same for previous seasons) shame on them for not doing better. Cambage doesn't want to go back. Their culture is shot and it's not surprising. I have a feel coach of the year is only on the regular season it doesn't count the finals. Sydney have done a fine job. Same with Melbourne considering their minuscule budget. Townsville, Canberra and Dandenong have spent mammoth amounts on their budgets its hard to compete with that.

Reply #516837 | Report this post

RDC  
Years ago

To be fair to mark wright he lost his best player at a critical point in the game and the Rangers were unfortunately unprepared to account for it.
The 2014 starting 5 was entirely different to 2015 beside Kunek. In addition Cambage was a late withdrawl prior to the season opener. I don't believe they had the team to stop the fire with or without Mark wright.

Reply #516865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair to Mark Wright he is a shit coach so he wasn't going to beat the Fire with or without the entire Opals squad at his disposal and a player budget twice that of anyone else.

Reply #516866 | Report this post

the option  
Years ago

Mark Wrong does it again, how many to jump/run this time ?. He struggles to make game adjustments and just seems lost. He seems to be anger or nothing.

Reply #516868 | Report this post

the option  
Years ago

I go to nearly all home games at dandy. Quite often i notice a former wnbl coach there sitting up behind the visitors bench. If he is going to be there maybe dandy could ask him to coach.

Reply #516869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Sydney started their run home, Dandy didnt seem to be able to adjust. All they really needed to do was defend, but they had nothing. The fact Sydney ended 9 in front is hard to believe.

I dont know what Sydneys roster has cost, but they are great to watch. As for their imports, before the season started it was Paris and Mikaela who? Now they are looking like super stars. Shows what can be done on a budget if you do your homework on players coming out of college.

Reply #516891 | Report this post

Dr  
Years ago

Dandenong have well and truely put themselves in this awful position with Mr Jayco and Wright running the show haven't they.
Agree, Penny's injury did not help their cause at all, but the team left out there were still better (yes in paper only) than Sydney. You have a whole season to prepare yourself for various situations... Close games, go to plays etc, Wright had clearly not done this. When Penny went down they needed to move the ball, set screens and execute, they could not do this. They had nothing to go too. No one knew what to do. You need to knuckle down, pull out your plan B, make the opposition play some D and then run Cappie off a number of picks after ball reversal to get her open instead of standing and watching her create something out of nothing. He made no changes at all. The subbing Pickrel and Kunek out in the last few minutes for Scherf?? That was a panic move. I'm sure there are plenty of people regularly In the stands who could do a better job.
I was very impressed with Sydney and Seebholm though. It was just good basketball.
I'd love to see Dandy getting back to building a solid group of Aussies that will stick around, coupled with a decent import or 2, not 3 superstars, then they might start to build something like Townsville, Sydney and Bendigo. But that would mean a Wright would have to coach and develop... He is not capable of that, he can only roll the balls out and teach people how to play out of control. Sick of the same old stuff. Let's hope he moves on for the sake of that club. He's destroyed a strong club in his time.

Reply #516912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think Lucas has done really well constructing Townsville.
I just wish they had some sort of world club champs... Would have been awesome to watch them go up against some euro and wnba squads.

Reply #516928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a lot to be said about the two teams in the last what will be 3 finals, Townsville and Bendigo..The list has remained the same and they just add pieces. There is no substitute for cohesiveness and I think that is what Dandenong has lacked. Mark must do a better job of keeping his list intact so they can have some familiarity with each other, the system and they can gel. The NBA proved you cant just put superstars together and they just win..it took the Heat 2 years. Lakers didn't do it with Karl Malone and the gang and the Celtics took awhile also with KG, Ray, and Pierce

Reply #516942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bishop signed with Seattle :)

Reply #516943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations to Townsville on a fine performance. Bendigo was outplayed and outcoached by a superior unit.

Reply #516976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#976 I think the effort for Bendigo just wasn't there more then anything, plenty of shooters just left wide open, intensity just wasn't there.

Fire played with Fire, Bendigo fought with sticks.

Hopefully for their sake they get into the right mindset and fix up that defense.

Reply #516985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney have the momentum. I'm thinking a Sydney / Townsville final...

Reply #517010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and the Celtics took awhile also with KG, Ray, and Pierce"

Ummm, not your best example. They won it their first year!!

Sydney were great. Seebohm was very impressive, kept his poise all game and his timeouts seemed very precise. Ebzery was awesome.
ABC2 kept saying the game was live, then checked social media at 1/2 time to find out it in fact was not live.

Reply #517066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Ebzery was awesome, and so were the rest of the team. That is their strength this season, they are all committed, they are all on the same page, and all contribute.

Reply #517075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did they? I thought they won it in year 2 vs the Lakers

Reply #517174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the tip for this week?

Will Bendigo restore normality by winning so we have a Townsville V Bendigo final, as most people have been tipping all year, or can Sydney cause a boil over?

Reply #517335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo in a blow out Sunday.. Tville finally get over the hump in the granny

Reply #517365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sportsbet

Townsville 1.30
Bendigo 4.50
Sydney 11.00

After watching their last few games I am tempted at 11.00 in a 3 horse race.

Reply #517366 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I don't see why Sydney couldn't give Bendigo a run for their money. The Flames win obviously came under handy circumstances for them, but I think they'll take some confidence from their second half, and the Spirit have looked shaky to me recently.
Still tipping they'll win, but hoping for a close one.

Reply #517369 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Very much looking forward to the Griffin-Cox battle.

Reply #517370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney struggled when Cox was out injured, and again when Ruf was out. Now they are both back they are much better.
Agree that the Griffin-Cox match up should be a highlight, but i think Sydney will advance.

Reply #517371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richards will have a field day and will force Sydney to play zone because of foul trouble. Sydney will try to double Gabe which they didn't have to against Dandy but Gabe is a good passer out of the double team thank you very much says Snell and Wilson. That will slow the game so no transition advantage for Sydney. Along with Blitz getting what she wants going right and on offensive boards by Griff it will be hard for Sydney to recover from the 15 point deficit. Bendigo will own the boards and ultimately win the game by 12.

But I could be wrong..lol

Reply #517398 | Report this post

RDC  
Years ago

Major issue for Bendigo is richards can't shoot the 3 so there's help on most penetration when she steps out to the top. Griffin is going to have to have a blinder to beat Sydney and she ran out of legs in the 2nd half vs Townsville so it doesn't bode well for Bendigo.

Reply #517492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, i think Sydneys front court on good rotation will get on top.

Reply #517513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winning a final in Dandenong then following up with a win in Bendigo would be a massive achievement.

One thing that has been proven though, Sydney are never out of a game.

Love the style of game Seebohm has implemented.

Sara Blicavs better be ready to play as I think Seebohm will help off her and let Bendigo try and beat them via her long 2s.

Reply #517523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never out of a game! Sydney were behind 19pts in Q3 against Townsville and won, the next week behind 18pts against Dandenong and won. That is ridiculous at the business end of the season...

Reply #517527 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Flames can definitely win, but if the Spirit look after the ball and are diligent with their defensive transition I think it will be hard for Sydney to generate the pace they need.

They play a fun style though, a very NBL style, and if they get on a roll anything can happen. Johnson, Ruef and Cox will have to be big on the boards though.

Reply #517529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney were up 19 vs. Townsville... not down.

Held on to win by 2.

Reply #517535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So..

Bendigo vs Townsville 3

Both teams will like this matchup, Bendigo for wanting to get revenge on their awful performance last game, Townsville for purely past GF revenge.

Shapes up to be a cracker.

Reply #518602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly Wilson's magnificent game was her own. Not a reflection of anyone else. Congratulations Kelly

Reply #518666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So this weekend there is a WNBL grand final on well unless your in Townsville you'd never know. Basketball Australia should be ashamed of themselves there has been little if no coverage. Every day there should be a media release and social media should be thriving but they've done nothing. To say pathetic is an understatement. Shame on these people at a time when we should be in overdrive promoting this event. C'mon Anthony Moore show some leadership

Reply #519631 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

^The WNBL's facebook page has made a few posts since the grand finalists were decided, and BA posted today.

Reply #519648 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754