Anonymous
Years ago

Best senior state leagues ranking

Interested on people's thoughts as to where each senior state league ranks...

Tassie SBL
WA
SA
BIG V
NSW
QLD

I Havnt listed Seabl as this is played over multiple states.

Topic #36550 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA easily the best

NSW easily the worst

The rest are about even

Reply #516903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Impossible for anyone to give an accurate answer to this, but at a guess?

QABL
= 2: SBL(WA), BigV,
NSW
SA
Tassie SBL

Reply #516906 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

Tassie SBL doesn't have any imports which drops the quality considerable

Reply #517022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men and women would also be different

Reply #517038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boris I think you will find that is incorrect. Probably more imports down there then in BIG V

Reply #517056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seen a lot of players come to the BIG V from WA who were imports there. They have sucked pretty bad. If that is the quality of the imports how is their league the best league?

Reply #517057 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

WA, QBL and the big V.
SA and warath are very similar
Tassie STate is avg, I went and saw the GF last year was like a decent local team.

I have been involved with WA, warath league and SEABL (in tassie) teams for the last 10 years. The issue with NSW league is no one in the state plays. They play other leagues or worry about there careers. They have normally 1 or 2 decent teams but the overal talent lacks.

Reply #517216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on about tassie state league Jason. Local NWBU is better comp.Tassie league is just about state boss getting a game and thinking he is 25 again.

Reply #517241 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

@517057

can you give some examples of imports that you have seen go from WA SBL to BigV???

Last example I can think of where a SBL guy went east is Chuck Long but he went to SEABL.

As with every league (and seems to happen more in NBL) there are imports that turn out to be "dud" but the WA SBL generally has some good quality imports.

The top tier SBL teams would compete with a lot of the SEABL teams.

It would be interesting to see a tournament set up over a long weekend and have the top 2 teams from each state play.

Play it on the east coast and help subsidise the teams travelling the longest.

Biggest problem here is that imports are typically flying out the day after the season ends.

Reply #517259 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Anon correct NWBU has a better league than the tassie state league. Once the Basketball Tasmania can get everyone involved the NWBU will always be there top league. but I would say I'd throw the top city of Sydney premier league team up against them and see what happens. The top premier league team last season had Dann, Luke Martin, Steve Leven, clint read and Blagoj Plus a group of young Waratah guys.

The top league is Seabl

Chuck long was the last import to head there, after a stint in Queensland. He did well over there. There league is very top heavy, they are 4 teams deep the rest are country teams. The reason why they don't recruit imports from the east coast as the league uses about 4 agents which are all west coast agents

Reply #517308 | Report this post

meggsie  
Years ago

1. SEABL cashed up league.
2. WA state league - also a bit of cash been thrown around- hence bennie lewis floating around I wouldn't think there would be a lot happening in Geraldton to get him too excited.
3.QLD - I would have had them at 2 but wa has gone pat them , it is not as strong as it used to be. however starting to get it right again.
4. big v
5. sa - they need to get all the 36ers back involved playing to make it the strong competition it once was and also attract other players from different states to spice it up, seems like a boring stagnate comp.
6.NSW
7.TAS.

best ever state league side.
toowomba mountaineers of the early 90s - some of these guys were past there best and had seen better days but they had a mix of youth as well and were as tough as old boots and exta ordinary basketball IQS ,made teams /players look silly at times.

david blades
john rillie
pop Dickerson- probably the best import never to play in the nbl -- sorry ron nunelly,eric hayes, james fitch im sure people would be divided on this subject as well.
danny morseau
tom Gerhardt
david nelson
Sidney mines
import escapes me ( something to do with age)
maybe more.
anyone else on the forum name a better state league side perhaps , could be good fun.

Reply #517372 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Subjective at best, what is the criteria here, money, the strength of current teams, the number of teams at the highest division, the number of male/female teams at highest level, the number of metro based teams, reputations, the number of NBL players...?

I won't disagree with any of the assessments above, but rather seek a set criteria to evaluate each league with, from which we could form a more logical assessment.

Reply #517377 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There was a team in the WA SBL that won the title in either 89 or 90...

It included a young Luc Longley, Andrew Vlahov, a couple of imports, and some other Wildcat players

I'm sure someone can give the exact playing list...

This was a powerhouse team.

Reply #517382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Citeria is simply the standard on the court, not interested in what the clubs are doing off it.

Noticed a few are putting Tassie at the bottom? Where would this NWBU rank vs BIG V, SEABL and Warratah?

Reply #517500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754