Isaac
Years ago

Teams banned from play-offs after trying to lose

Two US high-school girls teams have been dumped from the post-season after each were trying to lose and gain a favourable draw.

Their tactics included purposely missing free throws, taking too long to bring the ball up, intentional back court violations, asking the ref to call them for three second violations (!) and even trying to score for the other team

"That was when I called both coaches together and told them we are not going to make a travesty or mockery of the game. WE ARE NOT GOING TO START TRYING TO SHOOT AND SCORE FOR THE OTHER TEAM."
Hilarious.

Neither team wanted to face powerhouse squad Blackman. Now neither team will have the chance.

Full story

Topic #36576 | Report this topic

Flinders80  
Years ago

Nothing in the basketball rules saying you cant do that though but probably bringing the game in to disrepute. This league rule probably conflicts with the coaches rule book around doing what's best for the team within the laws of the game.

Coach wants his team to make it further through the league and does what is necessary to make that happen.

Made tougher when the other coach is thinking the same thing.......

Reply #517391 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Maybe the Aus Boomers can take a few pointers on tanking off these girls :P

Reply #517392 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Brings shame to the school, does not look good on the players, the coach's careers all but over and is a bad look for the game overall.

Great decision by the official IMHO.

Reply #517393 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I thought in FIBA at least it could be called a tech to deliberately score for the other team.

Reply #517405 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Both teams trying to lose could still turn out to be a highly entertaining and tactically interesting contest if they're serious.

Btw if you shoot a 3 pointer for the other team does it count as 3 points or just 2?

Reply #517417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should just declare that the lowest score gets the game points.

Reply #517419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very old it is a tech for deliberately scoring for the other team. Not if you accidentally go the wrong way points count for the team you score for not your team but as a specific act to turn and shoot in your opponents basket on purpose it is a tech.

Reply #517420 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

So you're trying to score points for the other team....

You get teched...

The other team gets shot(s) so they can score more points?

Win-win

Reply #517422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man in High School, thats pretty poor, if your good enough you go for the win every time.

Reply #517424 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Greggo, a tech foul also counts as a foul. If you get tech'd twice you get ejected and you don't play the game.

You can "lie down" and not go for a win - albeit countries like Australia find it abhorrent, even if not going full throttle means avoiding a bad result. (As seen with Australia in cricket where they'd usually rather risk losing a game or even series to go for every win instead. We tried the whole "draw to win a series" thing against India, and that wasn't popular at all!) Admittedly, Australia did in the FIBA World Cup, but the fixture method was a disgrance and it shouldn't have punished higher finishing teams against tougher opponents.

Intentionally scoring for the other team is a different kettle of fish. The former is controversial, but this is a clear bringing the game into disrepute. A mockery and a bastardry.

Reply #517431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Takes me back to Sturt tanking at u14 Nationals...then losing anyway...

Reply #517438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ Haha I was about to post the same thing

Reply #517467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good days, but they were such a lovely group of people. It was terrible for it all to backfire on them.

Reply #517469 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

In the States Coaches get banned for beating poor teams by too larger margin,...

Reply #517494 | Report this post

Proud Dad  
Years ago

I thought I saw Sturt win their next game and go on to win a Bronze medal. Something very few SA teams have ever done at a 14 Nationals.

Playing 2 games a day and using a dead rubber to rest tired and sore players and give other players a full run with only a 6 hour gap between games is a little different to deliberately trying to score for the other team to gain and better opponent.

Unfortunately your not quite smart enough to understand that...

Reply #517547 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

So much Sturt hate on these boards, I know a touch maybe warranted but isn't that the case with most clubs. I have only coached against them in tournaments and chatted to coaches etc while out getting meals at the nearby pubs etc, but they seemed quite fair and decent to me (maybe I just ran into the good ones lol) Just an observation btw ;)

And yes been hearing a lot about this game throwing on talkback radio podcasts etc

Reply #517827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754