Isaac
Years ago

Melbourne United season award winners

Worthington - MVP for 12.6 PPG and 7.2 RPG
Tomlinson - Best Defensive Player
Page - Coaches' Award
Odigie - Most Improved

That Wortho's 13 and 7 beat McRae's 19.9 PPG, 4.7 RPG and 2.7 APG further suggests to me that McRae was viewed as difficult within the team.

Topic #36579 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

You're right Isaac. No way McRae doesnt get MVP if things are rosey! McRae did appear to be a very uneducated individual to me so perhaps he just wasnt smart enough to understand team plays and philosophies and as a result just did his own thing?

Reply #517514 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Must have been voting for who is the best at choosing the worst shot selection

Reply #517516 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wortho had a poor finish to the year but he was clearly the team's MVP through the first half. McRae had some games with big numbers where he hurt the team more than helped them so that probably cost him votes the stats suggest should be his.

Having said all that, this award was the best of a bad lot really.

Reply #517521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is the NBL awards night? Do they normally do it this week so imports for non playoff teams are still around?

Reply #517522 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If wortho is your mvp then its always going to be a loooong season. McRae good enough for league mvp discussions but not as good as wortho, give me a break.

Reply #517548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McRae was clearly their best player so would be funny if he wins league MVP despite missing out on team MVP.

Reply #517553 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was their best player through the middle part of the season, but a negative at the start and end. You can hide that stuff from stat-hungry fans but not your teammates and coaches.

Reply #517554 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Do you know how Melb united do their voting Paul? Who votes, and how..
Would be interesting

Reply #517556 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, but I imagine it's the coaching staff.

Reply #517562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will they retain all of the award winners I wonder?

Reply #517564 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The award winners maybe but not the coaching staff.

Reply #517565 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I thought United had a good team foundation last year. Morrison should of been re-signed and a good SG to cover the loss of Goulding.

Reply #517566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see the Hawks' MVP as well. Carson's the leading scorer, but Ervin beats him in rebounds and assists. Carson tops him in percentages. Coenraad was 10 PPG and 6 RPG.

Don't know if I'd be excited picking any of them. Maybe Ervin over Coenraad.

Reply #517576 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Saw this during a time out in a college game on TV today, hope I got it right.

This guy's formula for working out the best player in the league goes something like this:

Points X 5
Rebounds X 3
Assists X 2
Blocks X 2
Steals X 2
Team wins X5

Now I can't recall if it was multiples of the average or totals, but in the end you would calculate an overall score for each and then add this to work out a figure.

Highest number wins, but of course there are not many intangibles listed and people may view assists higher than say a X 2, just though I'd share the idea...

Reply #517578 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...just thought I'd share...

Reply #517579 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Isaac, Ervin and Coenraad the top two. Again, the best of a bad lot.

Reply #517582 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Maybe they took into account the intangibles like leadership, positive contribution to team spirit, good role model for kids, helping team-mates to be better, consistent hard work, support for the coach ...

Naaaahhhh, this is Wortho I'm talking about. Silly me. They must have spun the wheel and he was the lucky one.

Reply #517604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's the coaching staff, does Anstey vote for Game #1?

Reply #517612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steals must be worth more than rebounds. They can deny a shot whereas a defensive rebound is by definition after a shot. Steals often end up in quick easy points, moreso than rebounds.

But either way club mvp should definitely take intangibles into account. My boy played in a junior team where team mvp was picked based on division mvp votes (umpire votes). Everyone on the team knew that the ball hog who made bad decisions won it, when the effort guy who chased everything down, made assists, rebounded his socks off and encouraged his team mates should have won.

Reply #517636 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Thanks Bear.

Reply #517638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see a new defensive stat where the defender forces the pass.

Reply #517639 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Stevie J of Geelong got 19 brownlow votes yet came 17th in Geelongs B & F!

Mcrae def pissed the United Aussies off...

Reply #517643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know what. I would be pissed off if I was McRae in that team with Wortho supposedly leading.. and the politics around the United issue would be disconcerting for an import. An import would expect to be able to stand out and do their own thing every now and then like Ennis, Jackson, Childress and even Wilson is told by Joey to go in, you are here to shoot and you are our best so just take it in and shoot.. MU won't be getting any decent imports after this as word will get around the FA world...

Reply #517646 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Intangibles...

In basketball, being quite stats driven, it isn't that easy to quantify them I am guessing, unless you have the money and software and people to record those things like say the AFL, for example.

Sports like the AFL have mapping tools, they can isolate individuals and their whole game, they can look at key players involved in a chain of possessions, etc... Very sophisticated stuff!

Having said this, I would like to see things such as shooting percentage and court time taken into account for hoops, just to give an idea of how efficient a player is. Also, shot blocking is okay but what about changing a shot and forcing a miss or indirect turnover?

Agree, the steal is valuable, but an assist is also just as valuable IMHO.

Many ways to improve or at least consider a more methodical approach to calculating a league or team MVP in basketball, but you have to have the stats to verify the result, so it all comes down to the reliability of initial cost and coordination of data collection for me...

If I had a wish list, here is what it might look like:

Points total X 5 divided by average court minutes.
Shooting % X 3
Defensive Rebounds X 4
Assists X 3
Steals X 3
Offensive Rebounds X 2
Blocks X 2
Change Shot / force turnover X 2

Team wins X 5

Reply #517664 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

yep pretty unbelievable someone can get better stats based on %time on court and not be recognised or pulled. Teys is a great example of not collecting stats but being such a great on ball defender and help defender that he has a huge influence on the game. Will see the inadequate voting and awards system in the near future.

Reply #517668 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Hustle players are valuable. Extremely valuable, no arguments there.. But not the MVP. Teys isn't going to win you games off his own back down the stretch

Reply #517674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

An import would expect to be able to stand out and do their own thing every now and then
Then they adjust or they will bounce from team to team like countless other selfish players before them. I doubt this would impact United's recruiting at all.

All the other names you mentioned bring more to the game and fit within a team structure. They don't sulk or coast. Ennis showboated, but he played both ends and had an all-round game.

Reply #517676 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

inferesting. talk to joey and he will say differently. he encourages shooters to shoot and take risks. he would deal with McRae differently and create trust and support to a high % shooter. MU just didn't use him the right way. need to explore his priors before making judgement that it was him and not the environment he was in. you all forget last years issues !!!! Would be interesting to sit down and have an honest chat with Coetto.

Reply #517681 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As far as I know no one had any problems with McRae shooting, that was his job, the big issues were did he do his bit when the offence wasn't for him, and did he do his bit on the defensive end.

If he’s not doing those things he has to score a lot of points to still be a positive factor for the team.

Reply #517696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:20 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754