Anonymous
Years ago

Ekene Ibekwe NBA chances

We had the overreaction "Motum is crap thread".

I want to overreact the other way and make a bold statement the Ibekwe has a 15%+ chance of being on an opening day nba roster next season.

Positives

* He has an nba level skill in rim protection that is hard to find.

* He runs the floor well and more nba teams are playing the pace and space game.

* Teams pay big money for rim protection and an nba team will get him for the league minimum. They might even get him on one of those 76ers 4 year minimum wage deals that offers little guaranteed money.

* Lots of teams are looking for a Tyson Chandler light, to set pick and rolls and run hard to the hoop and catch lobs. He can do this in spurts.

* He is mobile enough to guard the pick n roll, especially with a team that "ices" the pick so he can hang back.

* His post game isn't great although teams are using the post up less and less.

* His mid range is decent enough that his man can't stand in the key while he is at the foul line.

* He seems to have a team first attitude and didn't complain about coming off the bench all year for the Breakers.

* Motum was close to being on an opening day roster.

* The Whiteside thing might give teams an incentive to look overseas for bigs that have developed their games in their mid 20s.

Topic #36607 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy is almost 30... Maybe too old.

Reply #518375 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He is awesome at NBL level, but he is a dime a dozen in the USA, and younger versions too, so i doubt it would happen.

Reply #518380 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He could certainly round out a bench, he has the athleticism and length, but the chances of him being in the right place at the right time at his age to land a spot are low.

Reply #518382 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Catching a lob at the rim is half the NBA. I think he'd really be up against it due to competition from others with the same style of game, but maybe one superior aspect - shooting or strength, etc.

Reply #518424 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

No I don't think he has a chance. NZ only play him about 20 minutes per game for a reason.

Gladness is a better defender. Both have no offense to offer in the NBA.

Reply #518452 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We're talking about a bench player in the NBL...

"NBA" players come to the NBL either on their way to (Ennis), or from (Childress) but most imports in the NBL just aren't at that standard.

Reply #518460 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754