The TRuth
Years ago

Does Gleeson Actually Coach?

Just watching the last few rounds of this season & now the first two games of their playoff series against Cairns its no wonder the Wildcats are so inefficient & predictable offensively. All the guy does is whinge & moan at the referees the whole game while holding his arms in the air. Its a joke really how little coaching he actually does, I guess thats why he needs the 5 assistant coaches to call the shots for him.

IMHO he has never been a very good coach, got lucky with a Townsville team which had been built for him by Ian Stacker with some good young talent. Then at Melbourne and now Perth he's had an endless supply of $$$ to spend. Lets be honest, that Perth team was built & educated by Bevo & crew over a number of years.

But back on topic, Trev, lay off the refs mate and worry more about what your team is or isn't doing on the floor.

Great to see the back of this clown for another season!

Topic #36616 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amen!

Reply #518752 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

Umm. No

Reply #518758 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Can't seem to change things during a game, same stagnant offence. In D trap on an on ball screen even though time and time again they got the ball off to the guy rolling off after setting the screen. D isn't anywhere aggressive as previous years.

Reply #518760 | Report this post

DDA  
Years ago

I remember calling for his head very early last season

Nothing has changed.

Reply #518764 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Does anyone think it likely that he will sacked with one more year left. I think he did an ok job with the cards he was dealt but man does he need to sort out the non existent offensive of the team.

I'd love to see Bevo back but once again highly unlikely.

Reply #518768 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Gleeson apart from not being able to make adjustments also plays the starters too many minutes during the regular season. He failed in the early part to integrate Ross and Martin was constantly playing heavy minutes no wonder they were burnt out by playoff time

Reply #518770 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Would be happy for a change in coaching.

Reply #518772 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Ball movement has always been quite stagnant in offense under gleeson but made to look good last season with great shooters knocking down the shots. This season though with players down on form there is no alternative way of generating scores like with the slick ball movement in the bevo era. I wish bevo was still coach and playing the two imports he would bring more success.
I dont like how Gleeson spends most of the time out criticising mistakes and gets onto running plays at the last second when the team has to get back on court.
I have never been convinced of his coaching ability the players have managed to carry him well thus far.
Maybe its time to head to the US for real this time in search for a great coach.

Reply #518773 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I would have loved to have seen what someone like Geordie Mcloud could have done with the wildcats resources even a Shaun Dennis could do a better job than gleeson imo

Reply #518774 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

I would be happy to see bevo at the cats again instead of an american coach but im sure its just wishful thinking

Reply #518775 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With all the injuries to point to, I doubt Gleeson gets let go.

Reply #518777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team he had last year, with Ennis scoring like he did made Gleeson look good. Offence is way to stagnant and when they do cut its ontop of the post that just got the ball, giving the big guys no room to work. Can get people with a hot hand offensively and then seem to work away from them and not look to get them the ball. Defence is no where at the intensity it has been in previous years. Trapping all onball a clearly wasn't working and no change was made, just kept doing it, Cairns would have scored half their points from that. Try to full court trap off a free throw and have Damien Martin your best onball defender sitting back at half court waiting to pick off a pass rather then in the front line pressuring the ball.
Needs to run his bench a little more. Players can come on and have a impact then not see the court for the next quarter, or have stand out games and barely see the court at all the next week.
Some things just made no sense to me.
Think we did the best with what we could, and I think the usual suspects had pretty solid years.

Reply #518778 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Also the four monkeys can go! Was a shocker of a season all round, from coaches to players and for me the atmosphere was dull and boring.

Their will be a few changes, need to blood a knew generation and I don't think gleeson is the coach to do build that foundation.

Overall he did well to keep the streak going and to be fair the players didn't help his cause.

Reply #518779 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think he's a great coach. His history speaks for itself. Very successful in Townsville with 5 playoff appearances. To suggest that was credit to Stacker is ridiculous. And you'd rather have Dennis? He's been in Townsville with the same resources Gleeson had and hasn't come close to the playoffs in 2 attempts.
We won a championship last year. Ofcourse you need the right players but you don't win a championship without a leader you believe in. And this season? Perth fans should be very proud of where they finished with the injuries they had. From memory, I don't think they had one game with a fully fit roster. And still made the playoffs and gave it a crack. Christ. What else could you want in a coach. Like him or loathe him but the guy has earned my respect as a coach.

Reply #518783 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I got nothing against Trev and think he isn't in the Anstey league of shit coaches that lose their players...

However his decision to get Luke Martin is the biggest mistake made by the Wildcats this decade.
I don't know his status but why can't we have James Harvey replace Ross as we really need a shooter off the bench that can come up clutch with a few quick trays.

Is there that kind of shooter out there that the Wildcats can grab from SEABL or even college?

Reply #518784 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Last season the flex-based offence was well suited to the game being called more tightly too, those screen exchanges were tough to guard without being physical.

With it largely going back to basketbrawl this season, and Daniels and Martin not being the shooters Ennis and Martin were last year, the whole thing didn't work. They really needed to play a faster style to suit their personnel.

Hell, let's face it, when Damo shoots around 50% from 3p in the reg season Perth finish top and win the title, when he doesn't they don't!

Reply #518789 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I would think if he doesnt win the title next year he is gone.They invest alot of $$$ and expect titles in return.He seems to spend the whole bagging the refs which takes his focus away from the strategic part of the game.Four assistants is rediculous!!!

Reply #518791 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With Redhage in there, he could've won that Cairns series. They weren't as far off the pace as Adelaide were against NZ.

Reply #518802 | Report this post

jeff  
Years ago

what other coaches currently in the league have won the NBL championship? He will be there again.

Reply #518814 | Report this post

Onlooker  
Years ago

SEABL shooters

Naburgs would of fit well, deba and kenny were also available.

Reply #518827 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

He's not as terrible as everyone is making out, but he's not brilliant either. I guess that leaves as an average coach, which is a fair comment. One could argue that with a strong line-up with no real offensive "duds" that we should be able to get a bit more out of the team than the struggles we saw late in the season.

Don't like the constant whinging (whether it's to the refs or his own players) either. He would regularly bench players after 1 or 2 errors (i.e. had a tight leash). Not sure if this would be enjoyable to be around.

Then again, maybe Bevo's "friendly" style wasn't quite ruthless enough for ownership and I do think he went too far sometimes with giving of minutes to crabs (see Bartlett, Everard).

Reply #518844 | Report this post

A Fan  
Years ago

Agree with Isaac. I think to suggest he was unsuccessful this year is shortsighted. With a fully fit team they would've easily beat Cairns in at least one of those games. To even make the playoffs with their injuries this year was impressive.
Doesn't Gleeson have one of the best records in the NBL? I recall a Twitter stat recently about that.

Reply #518864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not a players coach at all. An abrasive, arrogant, know it all that puts most players off. Only reason he is at Perth is because Bevo wasn't prepared to cheat the salary cap.

And Shaun Dennis has had the same resources at Townsville that Gleeson had!! What planet are you on? Complete change of ownership structure and loss of the major sponsor. Yeh, same resources.

Reply #518886 | Report this post

A Fan  
Years ago

Bevo quit and the Wildcats weren't unhappy to see his backside. He turned up to training and went home straight after. I have no idea what you're on about with Townsville. They have the same salary cap they did then. If anything, the coaches role there now would be easier without Ian Smythe trying to control everything.
And ask any experienced player that's played under Gleeson. That might be your opinion of him but I've been told from players he's very fair, loyal, incredibly hard working guy. Coaches aren't there to make friends and Bevo was always too soft and afraid to rock the boat. I

Reply #518902 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gleeson got some very bad wraps from a number of senior Melbourne players, the most notable being he didn't listen to their feedback, which is a no no for a coach these days.

Townsville are spending considerably less now than when Gleeson was coach, regardless whether they have "the same salary cap".

The challenge for Gleeson is to adapt. His MO has generally been a culture of fitness and working hard. He inherited the halfcourt style Beveridge had evolved to over a number of years, but to me it seems the evolution has stopped and changes are needed.

Reply #518906 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

The injury thing to explain the 2nd half swoon is a slight cop out, for mine. Yes, I agree at full strength Perth would very well have taken a game or the series off Cairns.

Having said that, this is more than about the Cairns series, as the Cats decline was significant from where they were at the end of last season / the start of this season to the latter half of this year. People will point to the Matt Knight injury, and yes he's a key player, but am I not mistaken by stating that it's nearly an annual tradition for him to miss a handful of games per season?

Reply #518920 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gleeson apart from not being able to make adjustments also plays the starters too many minutes during the regular season. He failed in the early part to integrate Ross and Martin was constantly playing heavy minutes no wonder they were burnt out by playoff time

He's a good coach, plu with Redhage & Hire gone and Tommy fouling out Cats were never going to win, BUT I tend to agree. The lack of adjustment is frustrating to watch. When something isn't working, or "momentum" is going against them, most coaches call a time out, settle their players, and make adjustments, whereas Gleeson just lets it keep on rolling.

He has not had much to work with on the bench this year when injuries hit. I too would have liked him see get minutes into fringe players but I think the simple reality is that they weren't good enough.

The questions that need to be answered, and I'm not sure who's responsible:
Who hired Luke Martin?
Why has U'U gone backwards this season?
Why is Muo so crap?

Reply #518925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats should have got Naburgs. The fact the got Luke Martin is a sackable offence. I'd say no to deba George as I think he takes too many shots

Reply #518966 | Report this post

A Fan  
Years ago

@Paul, what players? The same ones that got Anstey sacked? I think we can all see that Melbourne has far bigger problems at the top so I don't think that job of Gleesons can be relevant. As Corletto has stated this year, they have internal issues.
I think a culture of fitness and working hard is what some of the lesser successful teams need. Being rough on Gleeson this year is hardly fair considering the woeful year of injuries.

Reply #518981 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

What is this 'success' people keep talking about regarding Gleeson's time in Townsville?

Reply #518982 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

@Paul, what players? The same ones that got Anstey sacked?
Gleeson left Melbourne three years ago, and a lot of the players that were unhappy with him departed before he was sacked, so I doubt there's much overlap.

Reply #518985 | Report this post

A Fan  
Years ago

Like I said, it's the organisation at Melbourne that has issues, not the coaching staff.

Reply #518988 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Luke Martin a bad signing - agree!
Get off the refs - agree!

But he's also a championship winning coach & great bloke. His players love him so not sure where that comes from.

Tall poppy syndrome people - no one likes a winner...

Reply #518991 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

Gleeson did well in Townsville with an average roster outside of Homicide. In Melbourne he flopped but think part of that was management and McPeake. And with Perth last year he had a stacked team. Don't think he is great but he's not rubbish either. Would take Joey and Gordie definitely over him and probably Fearne but he's probably in the middle somewhere in terms of coaching and does an ok job. Roster wise does Marvin get the say or Gleeson?

Reply #518998 | Report this post

A Fan  
Years ago

Fearne? Um no.

Reply #519015 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I wonder about the development players coming out of WA as very few in the last few years look impressive at all.

Some have speed and good passing ability and nothing else.
Louis Timms in warm ups just does dunk after dunk and that is all.

I'm not whinging, just wondering who's the next player to break into the roster of the Wildcats or even another NBL team

Reply #519046 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"@Paul, what players? The same ones that got Anstey sacked?"

No.

Reply #519053 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Drives me crazy when people comment about things they think they know but then won't name specifics.

Reply #519271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and what specifics would they be?

Reply #519403 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Paul's comments above regarding senior players in Melbourne. You shouldn't use hearsay unless you're willing to name names. Un credible IMO.

Reply #519486 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not going to breach confidence just so I'm credible with Anon!

Reply #519528 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754