Isaac
Years ago

Martin wins fifth straight NBL DPOTY award

"Damian Martin has been an incredible player and leader for the Perth Wildcats this year. The fact that he has been voted for his fifth consecutive Defensive award is inspiring and really sets the bar," said Mactavish.

“Martin exemplifies how our game should be played, with professionalism and passion and he is an asset to this League.”
Martin claimed the Best Defensive Player award ahead of New Zealand big man Ekene Ibekwe and Townsville Crocodiles centre Mickell Gladness.
Full NBL announcement

Topic #36637 | Report this topic

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I don't have myspace so I missed the announcement

Reply #519316 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well earned! Joins Darnell Mee on a record five DPOYs, how many will he have by the end of his career?

Reply #519317 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Onya Damo

Reply #519318 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well done to him, going for a double hat trick next season

Reply #519319 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Deserving of the award. At least he had some competition this year.

Reply #519322 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Interesting that Cedric Jackson didn't even make top three?

Reply #519325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player best on the cats roster

Reply #519335 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Should have been Gladness. Wilson, Jackson and Wilbekin basically dominated Martin this year. Even Dennis had big games against Martin. That leaves Martin dominating Norton, Perry and Ervin.

"Martin exemplifies how our game should be played, with professionalism and passion and he is an asset to this League."

If professionalism is complaining at every call then he is displaying professionalism. I use to give Martin the benefit of the doubt on the foul call but recently he complains even when it is an obvious foul.

Martin is a great player but he is not defensive player of the year this year.

Reply #519347 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he is the greatest defender in league history, but I thought this season he had up and down games. When he was on he won games with his defence, but he had others where he appeared to be struggling with injury, and some where he just got beaten.

Still, I have no issues with his selection, nor would I had Jackson, Ibekwe, Gladness or Wilbekin got it. Some outstanding defenders in the league.

Reply #519351 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"If professionalism is complaining at every call then he is displaying professionalism "

Are you talking about the same Damian Martin. He has a reputation for NEVER complaining about calls and getting on with the game.

Reply #519354 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Damo used to never complain, but the past two seasons he has certainly joined in the chorus. That shouldn't detract from how good he is defensively though.

Reply #519355 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I thought Martin might have got beaten this year. He has been good, but not as consistent as usual.

KJ, Martin does get some preferential calls. He does also sometimes make a (usually brief) sign of some annoyance or disagreement with a call made (but with that irrepressible grin on his face). I think on balance he does that less than most players going around.

His footwork on defence is very good and he has some of the quickest hands I have seen. He always seems to show appropriate consideration and is not a thug defender. I would call him pretty professional.

Reply #519358 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree. The fouls he queries tend to be more subjective than other cases where repeat offenders would always find a chance to complain. Good role model.

Reply #519367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would've had Gladness but good luck to the guy.

Reply #519369 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Should have been Gladness. Wilson, Jackson and Wilbekin basically dominated Martin this year. Even Dennis had big games against Martin. "

Have you done the same "analysis" for Gladness as you did with Martin? I know he blocked a lot of shots but did he rarely get beaten by his opponent?

Reply #519371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow.....Cedric Jackson is a great player....but mentioning him and DPOTY is simply ridiculous. Often disinterested at the defensive end.....not quite Gary Ervin like in his disdain for defense but closer to him than Marto.

Reply #519375 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Should've played in Worlds

Reply #519378 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nothing ridiculous about Cedric Jackson being a DPOTY contender at all. Ask the players - no way is he closer to Ervin's level. Martin 2.7 SPG, Jackson 2.2 SPG.

Martin had 121 defensive rebounds to Jackson's 129. Jackson ranked fourth for total defensive rebounds behind Daniels, Wortho and Gladness which is great for a guard.

Reply #519382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yer sure and how many steals did Jackson get compared to Martin not on the same page as Martin and never will be

Reply #519435 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He listed the steals, Jackson was second in the league, he is a dynamic defensive player who turns defence into attack in an instant through steals, deflections and d-boards. He was my pick this year in a tight field.

Reply #519437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul you're breakers biased is showing

Reply #519440 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is that because I'm a Kiwi?

Reply #519442 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I suspect Jackson misses out because he gives the ball back too often. More than 3 times a game and 50% more often than he steals it. Martin gives it back less than 2 times per game and well below the rate at which he steals it. Jackson seems to be a bit more of a gambler on defence than Martin. That said, he's very quick and very good at reading the play so it works for him most of the time.

Reply #519451 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

PeterJohn - pretty sure that the number of times you turn the ball over is irrelevant for deciding a defensive player of the year. Jackson tries to do a lot more with the ball than Martin so he's naturally going to turn the ball over a bit more.

Regardless of that defensive player of the year is based on how you play defence, not offence!

Reply #519467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin's got nothng,he benefited from ref's calls and Redhage flopping.:)

Reply #519488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze was a good steals and rebounding guard......and a poor defender. Ced would rank behind inside, Vukona and even Rhys carter just at ND.

Reply #519518 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Martin's got nothng,he benefited from ref's calls and Redhage flopping.:)"

What a terrible attempt at humour.

Reply #519519 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Cats had some ordinary defensive games this year, but Martin was always in there giving it his all. Plus had some AWESOME games where he literally terrorised the opposing PG.

Gladness is a great defender close to the rime (I had him in my 1st team) but not so great 1-on-1 outside or in transition.
Jackson, hmm, I tend to think that how well you protect the ball is part of defence, but I don't know if that is actually considered. Jackson is certainly flashier, and a much better all-round player, but I think Damo has the edge on defence.
Perhaps the most telling Stat is that for the season Jackson averaged a bit under 3.5 TO's per game, whilst against the Cats he averaged 5 (despite them winning every game.

Reply #520295 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This award, along with most, is going to be open to opinions.

Players can have high stat numbers in steals or blocks and not necessarily be a good or great defender.

As an example, if a player X is always gambling and going for the steal in the passing lanes then he will likely have a high number of steals (assuming he plays decent minutes).

But on the flipside his opponent may be getting a lot of points or creating scores as player X is not playing good on ball defense.

The same with blocks, a player might get a high number of blocks, say 3 a game, but has given up rebounding position or got called for fouls when he wasn't able to get blocks.

The defensive player award has nothing to do with how many offensive turnovers a player gets.

Martin is one of the only players in the NBL that is able to greatly influence a game with his defense alone.

He gets steals, takes teams out of their offense, challenges shots, defensive rebounds, put pressure on the outlet... He does close to everything.

There was a game against the Kings where he made Perry look scared to have the ball. Martin had 7 defensive rebounds and 9 steals. He dominated the game while only scoring 2 pts.

Reply #520316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754