Train
Years ago

Wildcats pushing for Asian Tournament

"The Perth Wildcats will lead a renewed push into the Asian market this year, with managing director Nick Marvin gathering support for a month-long tournament against clubs from China, Korea, the Philippines and beyond.

Thewest.com.au can reveal plans are under way to stage a four or six-team pre-season tournament later this year, probably in August or September, which would pit the Wildcats and at least one other NBL club against Asia's best.

The concept could then be expanded the following year to include more teams and be televised across several countries."

Very interesting. Is this a taste of things to come.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/basketball/a/26552433/wildcats-push-into-asia/

Topic #36663 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great. for Perth not sure wha
t it does for the NBL.

Reply #519901 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The article says they were looking to include other NBL teams with the chance of expanding teams the following year if successful. There is the potential to include most NBL clubs as a interim league during the offseason.

Reply #519903 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I expect the competition wont be very competitive though. SOunds like the asia cup and commonwealth games to me - just another excuse to bully minnows. But it doesnt hurt to cash in on all of the basketball money in asia.

Reply #519905 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Very good Idea.

Reply #519906 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

Great idea! Anything to lift the profile of the nbl at the moment. I'm not sure nbl teams would be bullying minnows...

Reply #519907 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'd love to see this done right. Pitting Aussie teams against overseas opponents is a great opportunity to generate interest from a broader section of the population. Combine that with a huge potential audience in Asia to market products to and all of a sudden you have a product that could attract big sponsorship dollars.

If the Wildcats owners can put together a polished TV product and generate good revenue, maybe in time it could become an NBL product that would generate much needed funds to run the league and support regional clubs?

Reply #519923 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It would be a great first step, let's hope they can get it done.

Reply #519924 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I'd be very happy if this happens this year as stated in the article. Hoping to here more about it in the coming weeks.

Reply #519925 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If this is Perth, Melbourne and Sydney then I would not be confident the owners are doing it in the best interest of the League.

Reply #519935 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Even if it was just the Wildcats playing teams in asia & dominating/play well. You'd think that would generate some kind of interest. People would hit the internet & search Wildcats/NBL, could lead to something.

Reply #519937 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Kudos to marvin! The future of the NBL needs this type of exposure and injection of sponsorship dollars to ensure its survival and to thrive again. NBL take note

Reply #519943 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just speculating, but this could have something to do with the Boomers withdrawing from the Tourist WA series against China.

The WA government is very keen to showcase Perth to the Chinese TV audience.
(Personally, I'm not so sure that watching basketball on TV will make rich Chinese want to holiday in Perth, but they seem to think it works.)

It's a good initiative, and with the Cats involved they should be able to tap into the existing fan base to get good crows, possibly even playing at the Arena.

That said, whilst this would be great for Perth, the Cats, and any other team invited. It's only going to exacerbate the growing gulf between top and bottom NBL teams.

Reply #519945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Great. for Perth not sure wha
t it does for the NBL."

Lel!!!! As if Marvin cares about the league/other teams.

Reply #519949 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Yeah, he just volunteers to be on the board because he hates everyone and wants to see the league die...

Reply #519957 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Uwe Blab-you said it. He gets on the board because he hates everyone.. Option 2 - to take advantage of being in a position of power. Get with reality.

Reply #519963 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

At least Marvin is doing something, the rest of the NBL board seem to be sitting around making bad decisions.

Reply #519965 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The entire board is doing that !

Reply #519968 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Anon, that isn't a reality.

Reply #519974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah, he just volunteers to be on the board because he hates everyone and wants to see the league die..."

He's there to serve his own interests (i.e. those of the Wildcats).

Reply #519982 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Bullshit.

Reply #519984 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

AFAIK the plan has been about for a fair while. The suggestion has been the premier team in the Asian League and a lesser one in the NBL. Far form a new concept.

Reply #520061 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This is new in that it sounds like an invitational pre-season tournament, something easier to organise than a champions league but which could lay the groundwork for it happening later on.

Reply #520076 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Maybe, but who will pay for it?. Last one I knew of had 3 imports per side.

Reply #520078 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Broadcasters and sponsors usually pay for these things. Massive potential television audiences in China and the Philippines.

Reply #520081 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Yes they have queued up to view one of the the "best professional basketball competitions in the world", Paul for years.
That's the crap the NBL still are touting now it will be a 7 team comp next season. Utter rubbish.
It will be a mix of teams from across Asia and a hotpotch of teams and players. Many of them never playing as a team before. + 3 imports as well. Wank.

Reply #520098 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you're confusing the proposal Harry, it's for a short tournament not a league. Hopefully it gets up, could lead to bigger and better things, or even just a regular tournament that brings new revenue and gives the NBL a foot in the Asian door.

Reply #520102 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Singapore Slingers gave us a foot into that Asian door a while back, as I recall. Ended up shooting itself though...

Reply #520125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wildcats pushing for Asian Tournament"

lol someone sounds desperate

Marvin the veto king will now learn the hard way that beggars can't be choosers.

Reply #520196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE : "Singapore Slingers gave us a foot into that Asian door a while back, as I recall. Ended up shooting itself though....

It was more a case of the NBL than the people behind the Slingers shooting themself it the foot.....

Not giving the Slingers the commitment that they could remain in the league when the focused shifted to a league run by BA effectively made it impossible for the team to keep the necessary Singapore investors on side not to mention the government support .

It is a sad thing that Australian basketball only look to Asia for short term money

Reply #520201 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754