Anonymous
Years ago

Bernie Harrower's job in doubt.

I'll let the article do the talking, but him and Chris Lucas have been the best coaches going around and both earn a lot of respect for being able to build and retain a team and keep building it, compared to someone like Mr Jayco and his recycle brigade.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2930284/bernie-harrowers-coaching-future-in-doubt/?cs=81

Topic #36671 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He has to re-apply for his job. That's pretty typical in some organisations. With results on the table, if the board were clever, by all means advertise the job so some HR recruitment consultant can get their 15% of the salary package, but let him have the right of reply. The person they select as the alternative coach needs to knock Harrower of his perch, it shouldn't be that Harrower should ride in the pack like another jockey.

Reply #520088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bernie has done a great coaching job although he doesn't seem like an expert in politics and keeping people onside. Probably similar to Tom Maher in that respect.

Reply #520090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ #520090

By his time-outs and just general demeanor I think he just calls it how he see's it, in this case can go against him I guess.

But it's good that he's like that imo.

Reply #520091 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

So all coaches should apply for the job. Best applicant gets it.

Reply #520094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Bernie is offside with the board then I wonder if Kristy would also be? Would she even be keen for the role with the impending birth of her child? Would J Goodman be ready to step up? Would J Moule come back if Adelaide fall over?

Reply #520096 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Wow. Never thought I'd see this..

Shocked.

Reply #520106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few more tid bits

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8965011

Reply #520110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodman. Seriously he struggles in SEABL.

Reply #520111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodman ...... Hahaha good one I agree he struggles at anything

Reply #520113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seemed to do alright with the Braves. ^^

Reply #520114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bernie is the coach?????

Reply #520122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodman struggles to fit into most things. BOOM!

Reply #520129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you're seeing that sort of success, why would you mess with the formula?

Reply #520132 | Report this post

TMK  
Years ago

What Bernie has done at Bendigo is amazing, however much of it has been on the back of Kristie Harrower. The perception is Bernie is nothing more than an average coach without Kristie's presence.

Will Bernie attract talent to Bendigo like a Tom Maher or a Carrie Graf. I doubt it.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out because the heir apparent for coaching role at Bendigo is obviously Kristie - no doubt she can attract players to the club. That may be still a few years away, but i would imagine if the current owners dont handle the Bernie situation delicately it will jeopardize the future of the club.

Reply #520147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how Bernie can succinctly sum up what is needed in a time out.

" we need to get a stop and we need to get a score"

Reply #520157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good players don't necessarily make good coaches. Kristie could be very good but it would be good to see her work with some other coaches to gain experience before taking on a head coach role

Reply #520164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Read interviews saying herself that she wanted/prefered to be an assistant for a couple of years first.

Reply #520167 | Report this post

spirit  
Years ago

it's no secret that this family is as big a bunch of sooks as you'll come across. they're the first to bitch about anyone and everyone else before looking inward for where any criticism should be aimed.
surely opening up the position on a routine basis is a worthwhile exercise for any organisation and if the incumbent is good enough then it is merely a formality that they will be reappointed. it is the duty of a club wanting the very best to allow that to happen. maybe greg popovich is itching for the job but there has just never been an opening for him.

why go public with this at this point in time? silly little man. loses his composure away from the court as well as on the sidelines.

Reply #520169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would at least think the board would have the decency to ask him if he was going to retire at the end of the season, it would have made both their jobs a lot easier.

I get what you're saying though in terms of having the job re-advertised, but at the same time, Kristi is/was going to be head coach of that team at some point, don't you think you're going to piss them off a bit if your family is treated like crap in the process?

Reply #520171 | Report this post

spirit  
Years ago

why is he taking it so personally? why is this being treated like crap? it is a basic process that is very easy to justify even if the team is doing well. if he was so sure he is the best person for the job then he would have no reason to be even slightly worried by this process taking place. yet he is. so what does that tell you? just maybe the reality is not as simple as him pointing to grand final appearances and assuming nothing else about his role matters.

Reply #520173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the article suggests, stuff the team has been dealing with off the court from the board being one thing?

As for why he's taking it personally? Well we will never know for certain, but considering the board previously went through some turmoil before Jeremy Moule became Chairman and turned things around. There seems to have been some ego's or something creep back in.

My main point being is this just isn't simply a club wanting to advertise the position, there seems to be other things brewing from behind the scenes that the board has done to effect both the coach and team.

Reply #520174 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Bernie must be great with his lead-up preparation, because during games he just looks lost. As much as I wasn't a fan of the dynamic he and Kristi had during timeouts, the team needed Kristi to take charge as much as she did in-game.

In saying this, it's difficult to argue with Bernie's results, as he points out.

Time will tell if it's politics or due diligence that has Bendigo advertising the position.

Reply #520178 | Report this post

spirit  
Years ago

of course there are things going on behind the scenes. there always are anywhere. but i doubt it is as simple as bernie being the big achiever who is above being scrutinised while the board is just a bunch of unreasonable meanies

Reply #520179 | Report this post

spirit  
Years ago

he should just shut up and apply. assuming he actually wants it. he doesn't seem to. if he applies and misses out then look at who got the gig and then decide whether it is worth having a big sook. if he actually wanted the job i would say he is not doing himself any favours bitching to anyone who will listen but as i said i question whether he wants it anyway. him talking about calling it quits is not a new thing. it would just be a shame if he starts burning bridges. dragging kristi into it seems especially stupid on his part. it makes me think things are just in the spiteful stage now because why harm your own daughters career prospects.

Reply #520181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see why he should 'shut up and apply'

If there is crap going on behind the scenes that effects both him and the board, then maybe him shedding light on the situation is what everyone their needs? Including a new coach possibly coming in and having to 'deal with it'

Would you apply for a job knowing the management and higher are going to make your role difficult compared to what it should be?

As for applying then missing out and crying about it, well it's too late to do that then and nobody will take notice, may as well put the board to the grill and hit at them while you can whether it goes in his favor or not is another question.

Reply #520184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs generally only throw positions open when they're not happy with the incumbent..

Why fix something that isn't broken?

As others have said Bendigo must be well prepared behind the scenes because his game day coaching is pretty uninspiring and his timeout delivery befitting of domestic U16's.

Maybe an over achiever off the back of a lot of peripheral support.

Can't argue the results though, only how they were achieved.

Reply #520205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^
I'd say they know everything they're going to do for themselves and the opposition on gameday.

On the day would be just reinforcing things.

Reply #520206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While that goes without saying strategy rarely goes to plan.

The clubs concern maybe what would happen if Kristi wasn't around to "coach" the team....

Because watching the way things operate it looks like she's in charge anyway.

Reply #520208 | Report this post

TMK  
Years ago

I suspect Griffin wont be returning. Watching Richards and Bernie's interactions over the season i suspect she may move on as well. If Lavey is ever goint to reach potential it wont be backing up kelly wilson.

If a rebuild is on the cards Bernie isnt the right person for the job, i do wonder if thats a motive behind advertsing the role.

Reply #520226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin signed a 3 year deal.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2153894/griffin-re-signs-with-spirit/?cs=2459

Richards 2 year.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2291576/richards-re-signs-with-bendigo-spirit/?cs=3380

Snell 2 years

http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/snell

K.Wilson 2 years

http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/opals-guard-remains-with-spirit

Blicavs 2 years

http://www.bendigoweekly.com.au/news/spirit-signing-blitz-continues

Lavey 2 years

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2415256/young-gun-re-signs-with-the-bendigo-spirit/?cs=81

Aubry/Oliver/A.Wilson/Chalmbers/Garrick for 1 year.

Reply #520229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't listen when Kristi is coaching. Or should I say squawking. It's unbearable.

Reply #520232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen to the JG show.

Coming live to a city near you.

Reply #520237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All those contracts could be renegotiated with a new coach I would imagine .
But personally can't see anything changing . It will be the three amigos again with Bernie looking like he's doing something Kristie screaming at everyone and Jono standing behind thinking he's contributing lol
In the end one loss does not bring about the demise of a team they did make finals and have done for several years

Reply #520243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The contract would only be renegotiable if both parties agree to it or there's an out clause..

Reply #520291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some new news!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-10/bendigo-spirit-coach-bernie-harrower-at-odds-with-board/6293752

Also..

"The Bendigo Advertiser has reported that leading Spirit players have "an out clause in their contracts should the coaching situation change".

Reply #520292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The club was $250,000 in debt at the start of last year and the board has gone out and borrowed that money to pay out accumulated, unfunded debts," Bickley said.

"The future of the club is never secure - we'll run at a loss again this year.

"To make three grand finals is a massive feat but to be quite honest, if we don't restructure and reorganise from the top-down - I don't just mean coaching staff, I mean throughout the club - we may not open the doors next year."

Assuming the same financial performance this year as per last year that will put this club $5000,000 in debt. I dare say the Board has decided that something must change! And that changes probably will be within its cost structure.

So Adelaide is in trouble.
Sounds like Bendigo is facing difficulties

Logan collapsed last year
AIS dropped down SEABL

ABC has dropped its television coverage

And this is in the year of the tightest and best competition so far.

Maybe it's time for the whole league to be restructured.

Reply #520302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They won 2 grand finals and were runners up once in 3 years. Really impressive.

That said dropping 250K a year to do it is a little silly. Dandenong have been the big budget team with Townsville and Benidgo behind them in the next tier.

West Coast Waves haven't had a lot of sucess although they aren't dropping 250k a year to play in the league.

Another team like Bendigo could probably take the Melbourne Boomers path where they recruit up and coming Opals (17-24) for less money with the offer of minutes (not backing up wnba players) and great individual work outs and study opportunities. They may be off the pace a little initially although its more sustainable.

Reply #520310 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"The Bendigo Advertiser has reported that leading Spirit players have "an out clause in their contracts should the coaching situation change".

well that would still rule out Lavey as they wouldn't class her as a leading player,but then she might be happier to stay with no harrowers coaching, she might actually get some court time

Reply #520319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are not dropping $250k per year. The $250K was an accrued debt from previous board over many years which they obtained a loan to pay out (main one was tax which they thought was not applicable but was). This year they are just stating they ran at a loss. Obviously that will include loan repayments/consolidation of previous debts.

This board saved the club, but appear to be making some decisions (possible/likely financial cut backs) that aren't impressing everyone (e.g. coaching & playing group) however they have to do what they think is financially responsible to ensure a team is on the court.

I must also add that the promotion of the prelim was very limited, hence the half empty stadium. Sunday arvo may not have helped, and especially not the pricing structure ($130 for a family of 4 to attend). Also no official event really organised/publicized for the grand final. Was a mention of something in the bar/bistro at the stadium but likely to have been the Stadium management doing and not the Spirit's.

Reply #520321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would Lavey get more court time? did you watch the grand final? she got minutes and she was rubbish.

no sympathy from me for teams who overspend on players and then cry poor either. why are so many basketball clubs completely reckless like this? where do they think hundreds of thousands are going to magically materialise from? basketball in this country is fucked and it is tragic :-( why can't we can some remotely competent people running things?

Reply #520323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The majority of the debt occurred from a tax error a number of years ago that had to be payed back last season, wiping out almost all the profit they had made.

Reply #520327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they are not thriving financially after winning 2 titles and then competing in the grand final again this year they might as well pack it in.

Reply #520329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$130 for a family of four to a WNBL prelim. wow delusion at its finest

Reply #520330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holy cow, that is Wildcats-like arrogance. No wonder they got a Wildcats-like playoff crowd.

Reply #520332 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

re: Bernie Harrower's job in doubt.

why would Lavey get more court time? did you watch the grand final? she got minutes and she was rubbish.

lol wasn't meaning she "should" get more, agree she'seems out of her depth, but different coach might play her more that's all

Reply #520382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Update: No decision on the board regarding Bernie Harrower's coaching future.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2936031/no-decision-from-spirit-board-on-harrowers-future/?cs=164

Reply #520403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious question, if they are opening up the job who do they think they will attract to a regional area on a nominal salary to coach their team?

Reply #520427 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The language from the board in that article is very unfriendly towards the coach. All about the playing group and nothing about the coaching staff speaks volumes.

This from Boti doesn't sound positive:

WHILE still delivering bad news, my (e)mail is Bendigo Spirit are in crisis too.

Maybe BA should look into that and stabilise that situation before announcing a new WNBL team?

Reply #520429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The official FB page of the Spirit has got some 'funny/interesting' comments already...

Reply #520437 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is Bernie unpopular with the playing group? There seems to be the suggestion outside of it that he is not an especially active/instructive coach. I saw Wortho making a few jokes at his expense on Twitter.

Reply #520447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't think so, given the big names (and Lavey) signed multi-season deals, which is quite rare in the WNBL

Reply #520531 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Kelsey Griffin seems to rave about her WNBL experience every chance she gets, and she has played for some pretty good coaches/programs in her time. That's got to mean something I reckon.

Reply #520536 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct me if my numbers are wrong here, but Bendigo has been around for eight years, with six playoff appearances, three grand finals and two championships? You can't really do much better than that if you're Harrower.

Reply #520549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes you can. You can be profitable.

Reply #520551 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's up to the board and management, not the coach, unless it's written into his contract they must spend x amount on players.

Reply #520554 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Not really the coach's responsibility to make the club profitable.
But yes, that is an obvious area they should be doing better in, given their sustained level of on court success.

Reply #520555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the board believe Bernie isnt marketable?

Thus impacting income?

Reply #520556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the changes the club are trying to make to become more profitable are being met with resistance from the coach...

Reply #520571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would doubt that, he was the main driving force to getting a WNBL club started there, I don't think he would 'block' anything to make it more prosperous.

A lot of fan opposition on their FB page...

Reply #520572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quote:

"The Australian Pork Bendigo Spirit Board met tonight and would like to publicly congratulate the playing group on a magnificent season of Basketball and making a consecutive third grand final.
Another successful season by the girls on the court, has done Bendigo proud."

The Club putting out a statement singling out the playin group as the reason for success (without mention of the coaching or support group) looks rather bitchy to me.....

Reply #520574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the name Harrower isn't marketable in Bendigo then I don't know what is!

Reply #520616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the problem, the WNBL is a national competition, not local regional.

He needs to be marketable on a National level to attract national based sponsors.

Reply #520619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2942868/bickley-defends-spirit-board/?cs=81

Reply #521026 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"He needs to be marketable on a National level to attract national based sponsors."

Silly comment. Firstly, are Mark Wright, Chris Lucas, Shannon Seebohm, Guy Molloy and Kennedy Kereama marketable on a ntaional level? Secondly, what percentage of WNBL club sponsors are local compared to national?

Reply #521033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GM position looking to be announced within the next few weeks, Bernie Harrower's position may take just as long or longer from what the Bendigo Advertiser has to say.

Reply #521138 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Apparently Jono has said he won't apply out of loyalty to Bernie.

(and the embarrassment of not getting the job of course)

Reply #521475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Source?

Reply #521482 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There's a bit more to play out in this yet, stay tuned.

Reply #521498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such as?

Reply #521560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh how wonderful of Jono. Please, tell me more about how much of a genuine, good guy he is.

Wouldn't dare be the type to blow somebody else's candles out to make his party look bigger. Not in a gazillion years.

Reply #521593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing that Bendigo will be announcing that Bernie Harrower will be coaching the Spirit in 2015/16. Amazing turnaround. Wonder what prompted their change of heart?

Reply #522588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be the fact that after their embarrassing re-applying stunt they then discovered that he still had an option left on his contract for one more season.

Reply #522615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ #522615

Yes, that's the 'rumour' going around!

Reply #522623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel this could have been handled better.

As a starting point either party could have looked at the contract on file that was signed before airing out issues in the local paper.

Reply #522630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could have been handled better? You really think so? LOL what a farce. Lots of egg on faces in the board room this week!

Reply #522633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely looking at the current contract would have been the first thing done before even going further with a possible decision?

Board are going to look stupid, should be booted out.

Reply #522634 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What do you think Bernie was thinking when they first told him they were advertising the job? I'm pretty sure it wasn't "what a wonderfully competent board we have"!

Well played by him.

Reply #522652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL. Sounds like a very good board there...

Reply #522657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst bernie may having the last laugh, it mustn't feel to good knowing they actually want you gone

Reply #522688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some very big 'news/rumour' going around also that Andrea Walsh (assistant/Lady Braves) has signed a contract prior to the Grand Final and that a couple of the board members don't see eye to eye with Bernie being the large reason.

Politics at it's finest!

Reply #522911 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Question: is Bernie still laughing?

Reply #522917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Walsh's contract to be head coach?

Reply #522920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would seem so.

https://www.facebook.com/BendigoSpiritBasketball/posts/10152718669336850

Reply #522940 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Wow .. that's a sad and unhealthy sight.

Reply #522950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow..!! What an ugly mess playing out on FB.

Well played by Bernie for letting the board continue on without realizing there's an option on his contract..

Reply #522958 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That attempt to 'explain' themselves in the press release is truly cringeworthy.

Reply #522965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

check out the Spirit fb page,hilarious

Reply #522968 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

The board comes across as incompetent, and Bernie vindictive. Kristi even made a cameo appearance on Facebook to squawk her two cents.

The result? Bendigo, the Spirit, and women's basketball inevitably loses.

Well done to all involved.

Reply #522984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes all the hallmarks of a small country town squabble played out on a national stage..

Truly cringe-worthy and embarrassing for Basketball.

Reply #523012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bernie Harrower rejects Spirit offer.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2988096/harrower-rejects-spirits-offer/?cs=3380

Reply #523576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Late Thursday, Spirit chairman Greg Bickley said Harrower rejected a new coaching deal.

That was countered by Harrower who declared he had offered to coach next season for a "significantly lower fee".

Harrower said his current contract included an option for a third year.

"I want to coach next year. I am looking forward to staying on," said the dual championship-winning coach."

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2988096/update-contract-dispute-drags-on/?cs=80

Reply #523582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warning to all coaches - don't piss off the Board! Especially if the Board are financing the club. No money = no club! Doesn't matter how good you are as a coach! Money talks and bullshit walks!

Reply #523585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2988965/spirit-saga-is-a-shame/?cs=81

Reply #523671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 3rd year option was already there wouldn't the salary already have been set?

Reply #523674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ You'd think so.

Reply #523690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could this end up like the Blaze when they wanted to get rid of Joyce (and other contracts) so went into voluntary administration. Joyce I believe ended up successfully suing.

Could Bernie take legal action to get paid out the last year of his contract? I assume that may lead to further financial problems for the Spirit making it difficult for them to continue.

Reply #523700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because the salary is set doesn't mean the club can afford it. How much was he asking for?

Reply #523705 | Report this post

Princess Audrey  
Years ago

I heard he was only on about $25k. Not sure how reliable that is.

Reply #523712 | Report this post

Outsiders view  
Years ago

Pull together Bendigo. Clearly financially there has been overspend on players in the past without being able to capitalize on the success from a financial perspective. At some time sanity needs to prevail. You can't keep spending what you haven't got and unless everyone, board, coach, players, fans get that then the place is going to go down. I understand that people feel sorry for Bernie, he has been a highly successful coach but It isn't just about poor Bernie, it is about survival. Wake up and work together.

Reply #523748 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Agreed. Time to put the petty personal squabbles aside and look at the bigger picture. First priority is keeping the club alive.
Judging by their Facebook updates at least 3 people have purchased hot jam donuts already, so the finances are already turning around :p

Reply #523755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Outsidersview

It's not that people aren't wanting to change things financially, I don't think anyone disagree's with that down there.

It's just that Bernie has chosen to coach for nothing basically and they still want to kick him aside that people seem to be furious about.

Reply #523758 | Report this post

Hjd  
Years ago

Who will coach the spirit now that Bernie is gone? The board can't possibly appoint Walsh and Flint now.

Reply #523762 | Report this post

Princess Audrey  
Years ago

The Spirit are rightly holding out for a better offer from a coach. It should be a privilege to coach that team, not something the club should pay for.

My understanding is that the club is holding out for a coach who will offer them a kite in good repair, a dead rat and a string to sing it with, twelve marbles, part of a jew's-harp, a piece of blue bottle-glass to look through, a spoon cannon, a key that won’t unlock anything, a fragment of chalk, a glass stopper of a decanter, a tin soldier, a couple of tadpoles, a kitten with only one eye, a brass door-knob, a dog-collar-but no dog, the handle of a knife, four pieces of orange-peel, and a dilapidated window-sash, as well as re-painting the stadium for them, in return for the privilege of coaching the team for 3 seasons.

Reply #523766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Princess Audrey, have been watching your ridiculous Facebook posts. You are part of the problem. Quit moaning and do something positive that will help the situation. The more you carry on the worse the situation gets. You appear to love the Spirit, show it

Reply #523768 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Still so many questions about Bendigo to be answered, like
Does Councillor Rod Fyffe have a life or a family?
How does he maintain that slim figure?
Are Australian Pork donuts available, or just the standard jam ones? At times like these, the club should definitely be looking after its sponsors.

Reply #523845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bernie seeking legal action. Board says there is no truth to the rumour that their offer meant he would be paid with hot jam donuts.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/bernie-harrower-looks-to-legal-action-after-bendigo-spirit-bustup-20150406-1mfedw.html

Reply #523959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bickey seemingly either lying out of his teeth through all of this, being a liberal politician and previous board problems I'm more inclined to believe Bernie.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/bernie-harrower-looks-to-legal-action-after-bendigo-spirit-bustup-20150406-1mfedw.html

Reply #523963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's funny is that the board is talking about open the job up when they already offered it to Andrea Walsh before the end of the season.

Reply #523964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legal action, what bullshit. The club is in the red. Ie has no money... All it will achieve is having Bernie becoming a creditor when it goes into receivership.

Reply #523970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's just that 523970.

When you've built something from the ground up, maybe he's looking to do this to take back some control from a liberal politician (Bickey)

Reply #523971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the club goes into receivership the creditors' have very little power and even less authority. If it's a power play just call an extraordinary general meeting and have it out. But stop hurting the wnbl with this internal shit, get it of Facebook and out of the media.

It is just negative for the club and the league.

Reply #523985 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

what i would like to know with all this what dose the public not know as like some blame the board others blame bernie there has to be more to this that we dont know

Reply #523989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure there is lots we don't know. Not sure how knowing will help the club become sustainable or satisfy a disgruntled coach. I'm confident Bernie loves the club and I'm sure the board does as well. Just something's should be sorted out behind closed doors as it can have bigger impacts than just one club.

Reply #523992 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I just can't understand how such a successful club can be so much in debt now. Have the auditors been screwing around or the accountants been fiddling the books or wtf is going on?

Reply #524099 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

How many successful clubs have had money issues, board issues coaching issues and the answer is probably more that have never has issues.

Reply #524101 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

dose anyone know what coaches are around that would apply to coach bendigo?

Reply #524104 | Report this post

sportsfan  
Years ago

also this isnt just for bendigo but how much do clubs do to promote there home games like im guessing with 1 staff member not that much compared to SEABL

Reply #524105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Wright?!

Ha

Reply #524107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour of a large sum of money 'went missing' off the books.

Funny a large sporting shop opened up out of nowhere now that I remember.

Reply #524112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt it's that complicated. Little country town club starts recruiting Opals and WNBA level players? Only a club with a wealthy benefactor like Gerry Ryan can get away with that sort of thing. It killed the Thunder, the Lightning. It's very very frightening. It looks like the Spirit might go the way of their NBL namesakes as well.
The Harrowers and their whining and innuendo all over the internet, including this board, really aren't helping right now either. There attitude seems to be they would rather see the Spirit die than see them continue without dad or daughter. Really pathetic.

Reply #524129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ #524129

What constitutes whining? To me it just seems people are pissed that it's reached the state that it's currently at.

Reply #524131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latest update, still unsure what to make of it, I assume Bernie will get some legal advice.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3043144/harrowers-days-with-spirit-numbered/?cs=164

Reply #526480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad state of affairs the way it has been handled from both sides.

It will be interesting to see who Bendigo appoint.

Surely it won't be Walshy

Reply #526483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or Mark Wright...

Reply #526484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bickley of all people to be a chairman, what on earth and why?!1

Reply #526489 | Report this post

TLC  
Years ago

The truth will come out!!

Reply #526490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do share ........

Reply #526491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, please do share!

Reply #526494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/3044293/spirit-coach-hot-seat/?cs=81

Reply #526589 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754