gumboot slinger
Years ago

NZBL for Ozzy players

Can you fellas get over yourselves and the infatuation that the SEABL is the alpha in off season leagues to play in ?

The NZ league is legit , Conklin the MVP got his first professional gig in nz . Which I am assuming lead to his contract with Townsville.

It may not be attractive for ANBL veterans but for up and coming players especially DPs might be something have a look into.

Cadee & Garlepp don't seem like they are coming over to chase big bucks . Just minutes & experience .

As a fan of basketball , I feel like NZ has learnt a lot from being in the ANBL via the NZ Breakers.

Topic #36672 | Report this topic

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

SEABL is the alpha AUSTRALIAN off-season league to play in. If you want to argue about the relative merits of a New Zealand league then you might as well include leagues from other countries as well, all of which are equally relevant to Australia (i.e. they are not).

Reply #520135 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Can you fellas get over yourselves and the infatuation that the SEABL is the alpha in off season leagues to play in ?

Nice hammer, probably a bit over the top, but everyone has their opinion I guess...

Reply #520136 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Not until you stop referring to the NBL as the ANBL

Reply #520137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian NBL players are classified as imports in that league I believe?

Is that a restraint of trade as - Australian Citizens and permanent residents of good character who have entered New Zealand are permitted to work under the same conditions as New Zealanders.

Reply #520138 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Don't think Cadee or Garlepp are going for experience. Didn't Cadee lead your great league in scoring.

Reply #520139 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, Australians play as imports.

NBL players who average over 30 MPG (or some threshold) are restricted players in the SEABL/ABL I believe.

Reply #520141 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@gumboot slinger, when the off season league is, is actually open for discussion I feel. We did have the NBL running in winter at one time, now it is summer.

Summer is actually the basketball off season (if there is an off season), so SEABL and every other league here in AUS seems to run in winter, the true basketball season...

Is it the same over in NZ?

Reply #520142 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As a Kiwi, I like the Aussie NBL players coming over to play in our domestic league. They arrive early in the piece, are great teammates, play the systems well and genuinely want to win.

Unfortunately, quite a few American imports coming to NZ have seen the NZ league as simply another 'paycheck'. They underestimate it and can't ever imagine been 'cut' so they can be a bit casual at times.

The NZ league would be fun for players like Cadee, Garlepp. Trainings are generally 3-4 times a week with a weekend game. No trainings are really scheduled before 6pm at night, so for overseas players they can get a decent workout during the day and use most of the day to get around, see some sights, meet new people or get on with a side-venture.

Reply #520145 | Report this post

gumboot slinger  
Years ago

NBA columnist refer to NBL as ANBL don't they ?

Imports , damn that rule needs to be tweaked .
The locals ruling on pacific island & New Zealand players seems fair , we need to reciprocate .

I believe Cadee was scoring pretty high in the waratah league before he went to the Supercity Rangers in the NZBL . Slotted into a young team & played well & efficient . Taking Garlepp over with him for this season will only improve their combination for the Kings . Both under appreciated Australian players IMO .

Would have liked to see some guys like Macmillan , Dennis reach out and give the NZBL a go ?
Be great to see them playing big minutes without the coaching dramas . Walker , Tomlinson didn't have great seasons neither .

Reply #520156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can anyone give us a run down of players playing in NZ that we would know and who they are playing for?

Reply #520183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ozzie the Ostrich is a NZBL player?

Reply #520198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW it's NBL not ANBL.

Don't the Kiwis realise they are repeating the same meaning twice in the name of their own league? _New Zealand_ _National_ Basketball League. LOL. Either use NZ or the word national but not both. It's redundant. "NZBL" sounds good. Use that. The worst thing being they try to apply the ridiculous repetition on us by donning a new acronym for our league. How presumptuous.

Reply #520199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gladness is playing over there. Can't remember many others that haven't already been mentioned.

Reply #520202 | Report this post

What If  
Years ago

The word on the street is that Mitch Creek is going to NZ to play . Are you able to confirm that Isaac ?

Reply #520203 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Blanchfield, Gladness, Cadee & Garlepp are all confirmed and I believe Truman & Horvath are also playing NZNBL

Reply #520246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What if, no idea. Last I heard all import spots in NZ were gone. He should play over there - good experience even besides the basketball.

Reply #520252 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754