WIn or Lose
Years ago

BIAS when is enough enough

You know coming from a non basketball background and watch my child come through the ranks. I have to admit I was quite suprised to see how bais ref's can be. On all levels from all clubs I have gathered it is expected. But I was astonished to see the Under 10 div 1 play today Sturt V Tigers at Pasedena. The refging was so bad even the sturt players were smiling at the Bias calls 1 player pushed a tiger off the ball at every throw in to be called for it once. I accept that the game is rough but when a player deliberetly elbows a drop elbow in front of the ref and was not called for it something is wrong with the game. Has any one entertained the idea of having ref's brought in from another club to run the game. I cant see a down side to this. The round the neck tackles the pushes in the back the elbows were a constant. I really am after this game thinking of pulling my child out and putting him in conference. The only other way to make sure of the Ref's being answerable to their action is to video the games and present the actions to an authority. Now you can say the UIC should be contacted but in this case he was and did speak to the ref in question who walked off smiling. The game was lost by the Tigers due to two reasons one their shooting was awful but also because the ref's missed three calls in the last 2 minutes that ended with three tigers forced to the floor one crying in pain.

Topic #3672 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The down side to this is? A parent obviously pissed cause their sons side has lost. Rather pathetic considering we are dealing with little kids. The foul count was 7-1 against Sturt in the last quarter. So the umpiring was Biased against Sturt I think. The reason Tigers lost the game is because they have 4 players usually chasing the kid with the ball and not playing matchup defense. As these kids get older they get better at passing the ball down court to players that are way open. The umpiring this morning was very good.

Reply #42790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I played a game in under 10 div 1 at marion where we had two players left on court for a team of seven and south didnt have one player fouled out

Reply #42791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When are people going to learn that BASA owns the stadiums and not the clubs, meaning they are BASA referee's not referee's from the club. Most of the ref's there don't even play for sturt.

Reply #42792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if they did play for the said club, I doubt they'd hardly care if "their" team won a U10 div 1 game or not. They're there to ref the game because they've been rostered on it, not because they said "can I ref this game because I want 'this' team to win".

Many juniors that ref are from the 'home club' as it's easier access to get to for the parents to drive them there. If you were a parent of a ref who's kid plays for say tigers and live close to m/v, would you want to drive out to say Starplex just to make some spectators happy because they might view your child as a cheat?

And most of the refs that do U10 games are only rookies that probably play U14-U16 which a senior ref watching. So honestly if you're going to pull your kid out of playing U10s because of an 'out of control' game, that's a nice example you're setting for your kid.

Get over it, it's U10s. Let them play for the fun of the game. Later on they'll develop more skill and the games will become more controlled. I hardly doubt a U10 "deliberetly elbows a drop elbow" to cause injury.

Reply #42793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When are parents/coaches going to accept that it is THEM that views the game from a biased point of view (because it's their team/or child playing).

Unfortunately I fear they never will in this state.

They are the ones that are only concerned with the referees decisions from their own point of view.

It's been said before but parents like the one who started this thread need to realise they are just a spectator and clearly not basing their views on fact but rather myth (what they have been told the rules are, or what they were 5, 10 or 20 years ago) and emotion.

On another point its a Saturday morning and referees are all still learning as are the players. Imagine if it was your son/daughter refereeing the game and they had to deal with a parent hassling them like yourself...

Reply #42794 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Unfortunately there is so little money available for the training of referees to improve their skills that it has become a "way of life" to have to accept the above situation at times.

I consider the above parent's concerns as legitimate - i know of many parents who have steeered their male children away from AFL football to avoid the physicality, let alone outright violence.

respondents have made valuable points as well. I don't believe that bias is a widespread issue, but have no doubt that human nature (particularly in junior referees) does play a role.

This is where the availability of extra umpire training and observation that costs money is a neccessity.

The bottom line is that BASA needs to spend money to make money - or they won't have a competition to run.

Reply #42795 | Report this post

AsIseeIt  
Years ago

Let's face it. Refs are hard to find, and good refs are rare. Many stadiums have kids from their junior ranks run around with a whistle.
The stadiums I dread going to because you expect to be up against "The Ref Factor" are Pasadena and especially Marion.
Sometimes you feel like giving them a well-deserved serve, but it would only benefit the opposition.
Last round at Marion (Fri nite), 2 players were in charge. Ref 1 made a totally shit call, then threatened the player with a Tech for responding. Ref 2 actually told Ref 1 that he deserved the spray.

Reply #42803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sad things is when a parent thinks that under 10s would actually know when and if a ref was giving them a good deal

my experience at that level most wouldn't know the rules they go where they where they are told. to many it is still an area of learning basics

parents should be banned from junior games then bias might just disappear

Reply #42804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been involved in basketball for many years and agree that some refs do show bias against some teams. This is due to several factors. The parents give them a hard time. Some coaches intimidate them. Some refs just hate some clubs. Some players get the ref off side. Some players have friendships with refs and the list goes on. I was not at the game above and have no involvement with either club. Players and parents have one really inportant lesson here. Play the game to the best of your abilities and only worry about the things you can control. Teach your children by example how to get on with it. Calls will go for you and calls will go against you. Taken over your whole career the scales will most probably balance out. Don't teach yor kids to question calls and don't tell them they lost because of calls going against them. This does not teach them what it takes to make it as a sportsman

Reply #42810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was down at Port Adelaide the other week to watch my brother. While they were warming up i watched a tight Sturt vs West match. Sturt were ahead for most of the game, from what the coach told me then there 3 best players were fouled out on extremely soft calls. Then West mounted a comeback and took the lead with a minute to play. The referee on this match then leant over to the umpire in charge and said "Doesn't matter now 'cos we're in front". This proves that refs are biased towards their home team because he had to foul out the three best playersto get a win for West. o make it worse, 3 fouls were called against West for the whole game

Reply #42818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Win or Lose, one of the umpires was from Southern an is actually a player for Southern. I think it was disgrace that the Southern coach got a tech which cost his team 3 points! I beleive that the final margin might have been 4 points. Stop your sooking and move on. I didn't see you yell at the refs when the calls went your way! It was rough but that is just how some games end up.Put your efforts into supporting your team rather that getting techs!

Reply #42819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous #42818

HAHAHAHAH sorry but I find this VERY hard to believe that any ref would say that to their UIC and the UIC not do anything about it. A ref would never say anything like that behind closed doors yet apparently they said it with people overhearing? I doubt it! Also did you PERSONALLY hear it or are just going by hear-say from frustrated parents, players and coaches...

Wow there are some very mislead people in the world that blame anything and everything for a teams loss.

Reply #42820 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

To Win or lose,

You obviously were very distressed when you wrote that article, I remind you that it was an Under 10 juniors match, referee's are not bias for no reason, you seriously need to look at the fact that referee's just like players need to learn, and people like you insulting them, and accusing them of being bias is not helping one bit.

If this is under 10's you are watching 7-9 year olds running around a basketball court, these kids have no structure, they are just told to go for the ball, most probably play or watch football, and these games are very rough.

You obviously come from a non basketball background because you have some problems complaining on a public forum about an under 10's match and expecting people to agree with you.

I am not from Sturt or Southern, and I am not a referee, but you wanted this to be taken to the UIC, mate, the UIC has more things to worry about than probably a rookie 13 year old referee not being up to standard.

The referee development is not doing so great, and yes, some refs do not like some clubs, but it looks like if the game was 7 fouls to 1 in the final quarter, you have no idea what's going on. Coaches have no secret agreement with refs; they are probably smiling because idiots like you are probably arguing with them, making you look like fools.

Videoing games, may teach some refs, but they would never do it in an Under 10's match, under 10's is a complete different game than 14's. Matches are going to be rough, refs are learning and players are learning but coaches and supporters are still in the Stone Age. 7-9 year olds just want to have fun, they will never remember if they win lose or draw, be a good loser, be a good winner. If you want umpire abuse to stop in the future, then stop bloody arguing!

So, Win or Lose, next time, just keep quiet and let your children learn and play, let the refs learn, and get the coach to chat after the game about ways or decisions missed, calmly. You are not helping the game of basketball in anyway& It is Under 10's, it's not the end of the world, and life goes on!

I am embarrassed for you that you would bring this up!

Reply #42821 | Report this post

BabaLouie  
Years ago

We played under 12's at Marion and ended up with 2 players on the court out of 7 starters. 12 months later we are back and had 2 players on 4 fouls after 5 minutes of play. The kids didn't deserve that treatment. After some intense discussions with the refs the fouls amazingly balanced out. Before we left the next game had started and I can still see the incredulous look on the Sturt coach as she was trying to fathom out what was happening to her team. She was getting the same treatment, 3 fouls in 2 minutes.

Reply #42824 | Report this post

JOBLOW  
Years ago

I totally agree with the person who started the thread. We are paying these umpires to be fair and to abide by the rules. I agree Sturt and South are the main offenders for being biased to their home teams, North a close 3rd. I have watched 2 kids play through the ranks for the last 10 years and things have not improved. The refs are poorly dressed and unkempt. Today at Port Adelaide our ref could hardly be bothered blowing his whistle, too busy looking around him!!I remember the good old days at the old Forestville with the Ollivers, they kept their staff in check!!

Reply #42828 | Report this post

Win or Lose  
Years ago

I refer to degenerate in particular. The referee in question had to be in his forties at least. second to this with reference to the first annom. I really dont give a damn that the team lost as I said they missed a hell of a lot of shots and lost by missing 14 shots at the net. As for anyone saying that under tens doesnt matter. Realistically these kids are meant to be learning and when the Ref calls a foul on "the pusher" he should have been called for being unsportsmanlike (its in the rules) instead when our coach argued he was given a tech. For asking if it was for unsportsman like conduct. The refs response was he doesnt know. It doesnt matter if he doesnt know is a rule. The ref has no right to change the rules. as for yeah they were up 7-1 fouls thats right but they got away with a lot more. The fact of the matter is it is very worring as a parent of an 8 year old that he will be hurt not by an accidental fall or a stray hand but deliberate elbows neck grabs and pushes in the back.

Reply #42829 | Report this post

Win or Lose  
Years ago

I will add that I never spoke once to the ref or yelled abuse. I did say "come on" loudly when a child was knocked to the floor. But otherwise I remained silent. And as for the guy who said di you hear the ref please read again what I wrote I said the UIC spoke to the ref who walked away smiling.

Reply #42830 | Report this post

key point  
Years ago

how did the coaches handle the game - were they in order?

Reply #42831 | Report this post

key point  
Years ago

" instead when our coach argued he was given a tech "

and argued
and argued
and yelled

and the problem is.....

RELAX

Reply #42834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't for the life of me work out why no one in S.A. wants to ref.

Reply #42836 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Win Or Lose,

It is under 10's, calm down, it doesn't mean anything winning or losing

Also refs don't call everything to keep the game free flowing in Under 10's, if everything was called their would be a stoppage every 10 seconds

Also in Under 10's their are a lot of injuries becuase of rough play especially when parents make their children over competitive

I have said before, "they shouldn't call basketball Non-Contact"

Overall, a forty year old ref isn't going to bias to anyone, you need to just accept this fact

Reply #42837 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Also, I add

Imagine the amounts of unsportmanlikes called in one game if in Under 10's they were called for every deliberate contact, you'd have your whole team ejected!

Reply #42840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're kidding me right... So instead of calling a normal foul you want the ref to call an unsportsman like foul ON AN UNDER 10! U10s don't know any better than to run around chasing the ball, if someone gets in their way they just keep going at the ball. They don't do it with intent to hurt someone and if you think they do then I find that very amazing. U10s consist of children between 7-9, they're skills aren't the best and like I said they just want the ball, that's the whole point of learning in U10s, the want for the ball and not giving it away.

You said you saw it as deliberate, I doubt it was, the only reason why it SEEMED to be was because you were worried your child would be hurt. If your child did the same thing to them by accident the other parents would be worried also. All you're thinking while watching the game is "my baby could be hurt". You go out to another game and be a neutral spectator where by your child isn't playing nor do you know anyone that's playing/coaching/spectating and if the same thing occurs you may think it's a rough game yet you won't be worried like you are now as it's not your child on the court.

I understand where you're coming from with worries about your child, but honestly complaining about the reffing due to a rough game. Basketball isn't a soft game, bodies are thrown around and put on the line for the sake of the team. Wait till your child grows up and you'll see what I mean.

Reply #42845 | Report this post

stadium cat  
Years ago

the ref pulled the player aside and spoke to him. It appeared clear the child had no clear knowledge of the illegality of his move.

It is of more use to the u10 to have it explained simply than to have complex calls made on them.

The coach took him off straight away and explained proper defence.

The player pushed did not stumble or fall - and quick smart made his way to the stripe.

It was a half baked push anyway - but still a push.

The player rejoined the game later - prior and after this incident he displayed no malice to anyone / player at the game.

The player received shots - the only benefit to the team would have been possesion at half way.

don't you think being a good ref is being able to manage the game in an appropriate manner.

Reply #42852 | Report this post

Win or Lose  
Years ago

Ok I except what every one is saying, for your own personal points. What I cant except is this under 10's it doesnt matter. I personally think if you dont want it to matter (rules) then play school or conference. The fact you are playing at what ever age at the highest level for your age group means you should be called at the highest level. This would indeed slow the game. Who cares the child learns by his mistakes he/she then knows in the next age group what not to do. I have played sport all my life from local soccer to zone to club and I can tell you that at zone level/12-16 you will be called for every rule breakage there is. I am just saying the rules are there for a reason and if you can find a reason to not enforce them then why have them????

Reply #42863 | Report this post

Win or Lose  
Years ago

In response to the coaches question our coach calmly asked twice if the call was for unsportsman like conduct. he was then told he the child didnt know what he had done. the coach then asked again but was it for unsportsman like conduct to the ref them handing a tech. the conversation was very calm.

Reply #42864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for c/sake it is under 10s to the parent concerned

if you can't see under 10s is a learning curve

that under 10s should be encourage

give up now if you are so blinkered in this you need to stop your child from playing any sport and put them in a room so they won't get hurt or picked on.

grow up and smell the roses

Reply #42865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the need to ask the question twice? From what your saying the coach got the answer to his question the first time.

Reply #42866 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Win Or Lose,

If you contiually call players for every little mistake they make, it becomes boring, and annoying, and children have small attention spans and will not remember, they practice to no longer make mistakes, and when they get older, the umpire strictness toughens more and more, Under 10's is the start of the learning curve

If that player didn't know his actions were unsportsmanlike then he will learn

In Under 10's it is rough all the way through, elbows to the mouth, chrges, shops, screens, boxing out, rebounding etc. Basketball hurts and it does from start to finish of your career

Reply #42867 | Report this post

stadium cat  
Years ago

the title of this thread is bias - but it seems that it is purely a dispute about wether a call should have been unsportsmanlike rather than a standard foul.

where is the evidence of bias in this?

someone earlier posted a 7-1 foul count to the complainant's advantage.

even if the coach is being "calm' continually disputing and interrupting the process of officating is a tech.

Only the coach or captain can approach the referees during time outs and quarter breaks for lengthy to and fro discussions on the calls.

that is by the book

Reply #42869 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Stadium Cat is right, even calling out "Come On" is against the rules now

Reply #42870 | Report this post

the refs actual do rotate through stadiums - many go where they are needed / rostered

wait til your boy plays Div 1 Friday nights - they have a pool of rotating refs through Div 1 games at various stadiums

saturday mornings are far more tolerant than Friday nights my friend

Reply #42875 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

JOBLOW,

you claim your paying the refs?

Thats funny, my understanding is that BASA gives the refs an "allowance" to help cover their costs of being there.

You must be the only person I know generous enough to slip your hand into your pocket, pull out a couple of $20 notes and slip them to the refs.

Oh you dont? Then you DONT pay the refs. Parents/spectators like you are one reason I gave away reffing.

I suppose your one of these morons that ring places like Telstra/ Gas / Electricity companies and because you pay your bill, you tell the staff there that your paying their wages?

Idiot.

Reply #42883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Win or Lose,

The referee you are talking about is a Southern players!

Reply #42884 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Yeah, I stopped being a ref becuase of idiots like you, I never got paid more than $18, for three games of 45 minutes, and what did I get in return, idiot parents screaming at you, and coaches with complaints

Refs are not crap on purpose you know

JOBLOW and Win or Lose you are idiots, good stuff yogee

Reply #42885 | Report this post

This is a joke  
Years ago

Win or loose
I really cant believe your comments.
I watched the last game these two teams played, The Tigers coach and a number of the parents were doing nothing short of abusing the two refs the whole game. The refs were juniors and obviously did not have a lot of court time. "As every one has said this is under 10,s".
Obviously the umpire in charge reacted to this and put a more experianced Ref on the court. And the Tiger Coach ended up with a Tech "in under 10,s".
Tigers team CHILL OUT, you will find that the reason the games are getting out of control is because of the hipe coming from the sideline, all the parents getting hiped up does the same to the kids on the floor at that age.
As stated earlier, the Sturt boy that gave the shove was spoken to by the umpire, and was dragged by the coach straight away.
If you payed more attention to the game and not the refs, you would have noticed that the Sturt Coach was benching his players for playing lazy defence, every time his players reached in or slapped at the ball, they were on the bench

Reply #42886 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Just another parent that suffers from the 'ugly parent syndrome' Geez, we are talking Under 10's here were the kids should be allowed to play without some parent hollering all damn game.

What's the point in a ref being bias in an under 10 game, what does it achieve? SFA, that what it achieves.

To get T-ed up in a Under 10 game the coach should be embarrased and should walk for the sake of his team. Kids this age take note of what adults do and say and to have some peanut screaming at the umpires all game, this behaviour filters to the parents, and the other kids that thinks hollering and screaming at the ref helps.

Well it makes sense why there is a serious lack of refs when ump's are getting ridden in Under 10's by coaches and parents.

Ever wondered where young rookie ref's start, just like young players in the lower levels/age groups. Put yourself in their shoes, your 14 years of age, haven't been reffing for to long and your doing an under 10 game, you have one coach being a goose plus a bunch of adults acting like 5 year olds.... I would quit too.......

Reply #42888 | Report this post

Win or Lose  
Years ago

I will state again that my concern was the fact that three children ended up on the floor in the last three minutes. all were tigers all were put there by rough play that should have been called fouls. all inccidents happened at the Tigers end and Sturt were in a lesser position to see the fouls. I am not a sufferer of ugly parent syndrome and extremely dispise that term. At no time did the Ref call on our seats to be quite at no time did they cop abuse. I have seen the bias at all clubs and even will restate BIAS to lazy reffing. 3 games ago we played a team who play a zone defence. when the ref was asked (a Tiger ref) to stop this she commented that the coach who placed his players there would not know what a zone is. My statements are simple the game has rules to stop things happening if no one enforces them then why have them. JUst because a child or coach does not know what he is doing is wrong doesnt make it right The rules change from age to age so why have them. Change them let them play zone let them play as rough as they like that is basically what you are saying. BASA or whoever makes the rules and the umpire should enforce them if not then why have them make them softer to let the game "run faster" anyone who says its not in the interest of the game or it slows the game or the child didnt know it is completely besides the point it is the rules. The fact is we lost I really dont give a flying toss the fact that children were in under tens grabbed by the neck elbowed behind the play ( which I caught on a still photo) is my concern. the fact that 3 players end up on the floor in a game where by the foul count it is obvious that Sturt were playing rough and the calls for these inccidents were not made, all three players had control of the ball there should have been fouls called. A player does not just fall to the floor clutching his face crying unless there was contact. In the last three minutes the physicallity seemed to esculate which is to be expected. What I am trying to say is that if the fouls are called for what they should be according to the rules then I am sure less children will get hurt and the skill level would have to by evolution grow. If a player realizes that he cannot simply elbow a child out of the way or push him in the back or grab him by the neck to stop his lead then his skill will have to grow in order to find another way to play the game.
It seems common sense. This will be my last post. But let me say again that The rules are set the refs are there as a judicial body to enforce them. If the dont then they are at fault. Be it from Bias be it from laziness or lack of knowledge. I am not upset at the loss quite honsetly it is a basketball game I dont even like basketball but I do get concerned when my child is sandwitched to the floor. I am not an irrate father I am a concerned father.

Reply #42912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Win or Lose

How about you drop off your child at the stadium and sit in the car until the end of the game!

You'd be doing everyone a favour.

Reply #42917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What part of people's responses have you responded too.

1/ You called the ref's biased. The fact that the ref was a Southern players makes you look stupid.

2/ The fact that the opposition coach pulled the kid of the court and explained to him that it wasn't acceptable. Show's that kids that age make errors in judgment. How do you plan to stop an 8 year old freom making an error? Ban him for 6 games or something equally over compensating???

3/ That you try to say that your crowd was not behaving badly but fail to say tyhat the coach was tech fouled in an under 10 game, shows that you are looking but not seeing the real problem here.

4/ Maybe the ref did make a bad call. But your berating him on a public forum is not going to make it better. If fact it is only going to make that kid quit, so that a less experienced, less commited ref will be doing the game next week. Or that we will only have 1 ref on games next week and the problem will continue to gtet worse.

No you maybe aren't an ugly parent. But the fact the you have attacked a young referee in a public forum, means that you are an ugly person who should make sure that the kids parents dont read this and go you for slander and child abuse. A young ref making a mistake is one thing, publicly attacking a kid is down right unnacceptable.

Reply #42919 | Report this post

Win or Lose  
Years ago

I wasnt going to repost but what past of the ref was in his forties did you miss???? And in Answer to the Sturt parent saying the last time we played our coach was the same is down right laughable considering the coach that we had at the last meet doesnt even live in SA anymore......And as I said before I except what everyone is saying in knowing now that the ref was our ref as it has been said it can be only laziness then. I would never berate a child in an open forum. And would apreaciate anyone responding to this entry to please read from the top and get your story straight.

Reply #42928 | Report this post

This is a joke  
Years ago

I didnt say it was the same coach I just stated how he behaved.
And I will add that the current coach conducts himself a lot better.

Reply #42929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

win or lose i've read this from top to bottom and all i can say

i pity your child at your blinkered view

it is under 10s

enough of the ugly parent syndrome

Reply #42930 | Report this post

JOBLOW  
Years ago

I feel i have been unfairly critised by yogee and degenerate.I enjoy watching the games and take an active part cheering on the players. OK I know nothing of the teams involved at the under 10 level but as I reiterate I have had 2 kids play for 10 years, 1 still palying and the older 1 umpired from u/12s to u/20s so i can see things from a different perspective. I feel those critical of win or lose are reading too much into it personally as they obviously saw or know of the game.Everyone has the right to voice their opinion. I believe I do have the right to critsise by paying literally 1000s of dollars in subs and entrance fees over the years.

Reply #42937 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

JOBLOW,

Put your child on the end of the receiving end of abuse that the majority of ref's cop whilst he/she is reffing a game and we'll see how long they want to continue doing it. Would you want your son/daughter to be constantly abused and critized by overzealous spectators regardless of what club they represent. I think not...

Reply #42949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YOU don't pay so that you can criticise. YOU pay so that your son/daughter can play. YOUR money does not go to the refs so please stop thinking that 'you pay them so you can criticise'.

IF you have a problem with the umpiring you can voice your opinion the proper way by going through the UIC or even going straight to the director and voice your opinion on what could be done to make it better for referee's. Voicing an opinion and Criticising a referee are two totally different things. Go about it the right way and you get the answers you want, go about it the wrong way and you'll end up back here.

Put it this way, there's a lot of people on here that think they know all the answers to every question but only a minority actually do. If you ask the right people the right questions you get the right answers. Quite simply all you do by putting it here is causing controversy which is something we don't need right now involving SA Basketball. Ring BASA ask to speak to the person involved and have a reasonable question ready as all you've done here is complained and not given any points in how it can be changed.

Reply #42950 | Report this post

JOBLOW  
Years ago

Again I feel I have been unfairly done by. If you refer to the original post it was all about which clubs are deemed to have biased umpires. I have heard many parents speak to UICs over the years with no resolution. Personally I have not as contrary to popular opinion I do not I merit the tag of "ugly parent". I stand corrected re the the payment of umpires, this is not a widely known fact, I presumed htey were taken from the entrance payments.Again I have watched my son umpire ,maybe because he was a fair and un biased ref he did not get abused!!

Reply #42959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The payment when you enter goes to BASA. BASA then has to pay expenses such as court hire and also umpire payment. Yes it looks like it's coming from the money you pay when you enter, yes you sign for your money with the doorkeeper, but quite simply you pay BASA and BASA pay the umpires. If the payment when you enter went straight to the umpires they'd be getting a damn lot more than they're currently getting.

Also the whole "which CLUBS have bias refs" is another thing people don't understand. Referee's ref for BASA not their club. Yes they're usually at the home stadium of the club they may play for, but that's quite simply for transport reasons. If I were to live close to a stadium and played for a club there is nearly no way I'd travel to a stadium further away just so spectators and players were happy. If a ref lived close to say Starplex, travelling to any other stadium would cost just as much in petrol than the ref would receive in payment.

Also this topic was mainly around Saturday morning reffing as ref's are less rostered around compared to all refs being rostered on friday nights with refs letting the director know their preference. MOST saturday morning refs are juniors, therefore the parents have to drive them. There is no way you expect a parent to drive their son/daughter a great distance just to please people. Be lucky that the juniors are helping the state that SA Basketball is currently in just by being out there on the court with a whistle.

Also how many games did your son ref? Because there is no way he could've been reffing for a long time and not cop a single bit of abuse. Even the greatest people get abused or targeted for something. Not saying that he was biased or anything, just that there are many people out in the world that cry over anything even if it's correct.

Reply #42962 | Report this post

what controversey  
Years ago

from the by laws

Officials' Code of Behaviour

Modify rules and regulations to match the skill levels and needs of children.

Reply #42966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it funny that you say your child has reffed but also thought money you pay when you walk in goes to them. Surely when your child was getting $6 a game you would have realised this was wrong.

Reply #42967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am shoked at all of you. With regards to win or lose original post. Here we have a new parent concerned for his childs welfare by the foul count it seems his concerns were justified. We should be supporting new players and parents offering advise not slagging them and calling them ugly parents. I have looked over the full posts and can see a few things that I dont agree with Win or Lose but for crying out loud people. It is easy to critise the parent say change sports. We dont know his child may do other sports maybe even a martial art??? To say that he has not offered any solutions is uncalled for his has put options up but be them uneducated. Our responses as players and parents of long time players should have been to say things like.

Win or lose

Ref's dont just come from the home ground they come from different clubs and are controlled by BASA.
The rules also state

Officials' Code of Behaviour

Modify rules and regulations to match the skill levels and needs of children.

We all have seen Bias we have have seen sloppy reffing. We all have played rough teams. Every sinlge person on this forum who has posted a thread cannot dispute this. Ok win or lose blatent balming or the ref was probably out of line. seeing the child set straight by his coach probably wasnt viewed by the concerned parent. All I have to say is win or lose you are a good parent for sticking up for your child and wanting to find some sort of way to fix an age old problem but this is not the correct forum.

Reply #43000 | Report this post

Win or Lose  
Years ago

I might add that the ref in question I have just been informed was not from southern although the young Ref was a southern player/Ref. I have no more to say on this I thank you all for your reponses particually the last response I just wish your reply had of been the first one. I by no way meant to denegrate a Ref but that fact of the matter is still if the calls were made the children and the coaches will call for more carefull play. And I completely believe that if the calls had of been made for the contact the players and the coaches would have backed off and allowed a smooth skilled game...

Reply #43010 | Report this post

Daryl Simmons  
Years ago

Win or loose
I am the Coach of the under 10 Sturt team.
To state on this forum that under 10 players were "smiling at bias calls", and a player "deliberately elbows a drop elbow", in my opinion is way out of line.
I saw one push by one of our players during the game, which was addressed immediately.
Can I advise you to contact your Clubs coaching director or junior rep of your concerns, to accuse 8 year old children of these actions will require your Clubs involvement.
If not, can I suggest that you keep any similar comments to yourself.

Reply #43041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a parent of a child who was set to play on the court next. Of the three calls I can only say two were Fouls and should have been called. What I was most surprised at was that at no time did either ref (at least in the last quarter all I saw) approach the coaches in question and tell them to calm the children down the game was very physical. I would also like to add that I am not from Southern.

Reply #43056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's responsible for the behaviour of their teams? Coaches or referees? Thats the point. As usual everyone is putting all the responsibility of behaviour onto two saturday morning referees.

It's the clubs and their coaches who are responsible for the behaviour of players not the referees. There is no way either coach (especially one who had already been T'd) would listen to a referee about how they should be controlling their players. Just think about that for one minute.

Reply #43076 | Report this post

Conspiracy  
Years ago

'Win or Lose', I too saw this game and am associated with Sturt. It was plainly obvious that your team was inferior in skill level, physical talent and intelligence. This, I can only put down to genetics which has been passed down from parent to child. After all, you are associated with Southern Tigers.I personally know both refs who did the game and we did have a chuckle at the 'number' done on you guys. We've upped it to $25 per tech. on your coach for the next game. A nice way for them to supplement their income. Of course, coming from Sturt we can afford this, whereas I suspect you do not have the contacts to arrange this 'agreement' or the finances to follow through.
I was actually standing behind the Sturt bench and did overhear the coach tell his players to 'take no prisoners' and do 'whatever is necessary' to win the game. He also winked at a certain player as the U10 nodded! He was later subbed out of the game and duly congratulated on 'doing his job'. You could see his chest swell with pride on this acknowledgement by the coach. Those 'rub 'em out' drills at training are really paying dividends.........!

'Win or Lose', of course everything I have written here is total crap, but illustrates some of the misnomers that get foisted on basketball clubs. Through the thread the 'tone' of your argument has changed as facts have arisen to rebutt your statements. If you are going to load the gun and pull the trigger...best to have your facts straight at the start. It is obvious your involvement in the game at this point in time is minimal, but please realise that opening this can of worms in a public forum can erode the confidence of the parties you mention (both players and referees). Dare I say you do not fully understand this game to make the comments you have, no doubt fuelled by frustration by the lack of result by your team in the game concerned. Referees are in short supply and I suggest if you want your child to keep playing you tone down your criticism and if you do have a grievance, air it to the appropriate people which has previously been mentioned.

Reply #43950 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754