Abbey Ellis (Bulleen)
Kate Tanner (Nunawading)

Staff
Head Coach: Jai Cesari - Hawthorn
Assistant Coach: Katrina Hibbert - Hume City
Assistant Coach: Hannah Lowe - Hawthorn
Selector: Karianne Maley - Eltham
Team Manager: Emma Brancatisano - Eltham

Victoria Country Women’s Head Coach, Gerard Hillier said, "After a thorough selection process I believe we have a very talented and exciting team to work with heading in to the U16 Championships, I would also like to thank all the Associations and coaches for doing such a great job in preparing all the athletes for selection. I would like to wish all Victorian Teams the best of luck."

Victoria Metro Women’s Head Coach Jai Cesari said, "On behalf of the coaching staff I would like to thank all the Victoria Metro athletes who tried out for the 2015 U16 Women’s State Team and to congratulate the 15 athletes who make up this year’s squad. We are looking forward to working with this group over the coming months in preparation for the National Championships.
We would also like to congratulate all the Associations and their coaches, for their time and effort in developing these athletes.”

2015 U16 COUNTRY MEN’S TEAM

Reid Nanscawen (Southern Peninsula)
Jay Rantall (Warrnambool)
Jai Nanscawen (Southern Peninsula)
Seb McArdle (Bendigo)
Noah Gown (Warragul)
Nick Grantham (Macedon)
Steve Cummings (Southern Peninsula)
Matt Cummings (Southern Peninsula)
Shawn Clarke (Mildura)
Tom Schacht (Maffra)

Emergencies
Ryan Sarkady (Shepparton)
Liam Herbert (Warrnambool)
Brock Smith (Warrnambool)
Ben Searle (Geelong)
Fraser Bell (Bendigo)

Staff
Head Coach: Dave Naylor - Geelong
Assistant Coach: Chris Clyne - Geelong
Team Manager: Darren Wilson - Mildura

VICTORIA METRO MEN’S TEAM

Corey Battistan (Werribee)
Callan Blackley (Dandenong)
Ryan Bowkett (Diamond Valley)
Austin Bradtke (Melbourne)
Casey deWacht (Warrandyte)
Tarjai Hepi (Dandenong)
Keli Leaupepe (Bulleen)
Shaun MacDonald (Oakleigh)
Matt Roberts (Ringwood)
Tyler Robertson (Dandenong)

Emergencies
Joel Capetola (Bulleen)
Brad Heywood (Dandenong)
Mitch Keogh (Werribee)
Trent Nathan (Nunawading)
Ryan Rapp (Dandenong)

Staff:
Head Coach: Rob Coulter - Diamond Valley
Assistant Coach: Dom Linossier - Knox
Assistant Coach: Trevor Burnette - Werribee
Selector: Nick Mihai - Dandenong
Team Manager: Leighton Lewis - Eltham

Topic #36724 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandringham girls program must be strong. Oh no, where are the Diamond Valley girls ??

Reply #521196 | Report this post

Omission  
Years ago

Great that they had a statement from the u16 girls coach about the process this year. The coach's comments/statement/thankyous post-Nationals last year were very noticeably absent from the BV news article posted at the time.... Hmmm I wonder why? Too much of a hit to their pride to justify the result or thank anyone?

Reply #521240 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Won't make a cracker of difference,both 16 girls sides won't get near SA or QS,

Reply #521288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you may be surprised Mick, the Vic Metro girls chosen have a decent track record against both, and Vic Country look solid.

Should be a good championship.

Reply #521299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa country boys would compete with either of those teams easily.

Reply #521300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fortunately they won't be in the Women's Championships this year.

Reply #521302 | Report this post

Interstate  
Years ago

Just a quick question.

How does no Hawthorn girls make the squad when they beat Sandringham last round?

And more importantly, how do no Knox players make the team when they beat Hawthorn by 50 and came second in the January tournament?

Or more importantly, who is coaching this Sandringham team?

Reply #521348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So round 1 in VC Knox beat Hawthorn by 49, round 2 Hawthorn beat Sandringham by 18, and all Sandringham could do in round 1 was beat Kilyth who were also beaten by a similar amount by Nunawading 2 in round 2.

On the surface seems something strange happening here, although some might argue its quite reasonable when Cesari is the coach. Not to many people I know rate him. I've seen little of him but enough to know Im one of them.

Reply #521394 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

picking a state team goes by positions needed and chemistry, some teams may very well as a group beat OTHER teams, but individual players in those 'OTHER' teams are quite possibly stronger than those in the teams beating them in the position they play
For example say the point guard in the blue team could be amazing but the rest of her team is mediocre, and loose to the red team because they have taller rebounders plus some great outside shooters, but the guard from the red team is way weaker than the one from the blue team.

Look past the teams and see the individuals, you may understand the process.

Reply #521396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "mystery" is easily solved by looking at how Sandringham are "coached".

Reply #521399 | Report this post

COCITBT  
Years ago

All well and good... But to justify what you see as a head coach or coaching staff, you need to know what you're looking AT or what you should be looking FOR.

It can't be the color of the club bag they bring into the stadium.

People that are married into basketball experience or used to play don't get given any runs on the board for talent id or coaching capability.

If you've been in a clinic, it doesn't make you a doctor. If you're an amateur, just puttin on a blue polo doesn't make you a state coach.

It just makes you an amateur in a blue polo.

Reply #521401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 1396 sounds like Jai himself wrote that! Whilst what you say is sound for one player as you have said in example, it doesn't explain 3 from one team getting spanked by two other teams with not one representing the state. On the surface something very amiss here.

Reply #521404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "mystery" is easily solved by looking at how Sandringham are "coached".

Reply #521406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 1406 That's twice youve said that, just got the hiccups or would you care to explain?

Reply #521408 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

1404, what positions do those three play compared to the ones who missed out, were they stronger, taller, fitter, than others as individuals, do they work well as a group, chemistry can be a big thing, so many variable, I suppose the results will tell

Reply #521411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't there 4 from the one team

Reply #521412 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

Shame

Reply #521443 | Report this post

True  
Years ago

It's a shame they chose named players, and not all the best players!

Reply #521444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It must be hard for the trolls that they can't even create a perceived bias from their fantasies about selection.

No bias for Diamond Valley
No bias for Hawthorn
No bias for Eltham

Reply #521454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ 412 correct 4 not 3 my error, although makes the scenario even more intriguing.

^ 454 care to explain? the comments were about Hawthorn and Knox, whats Diamond Valley and Eltham got to do with it, and if you post on here, arent you
one of the very 'trolls' you talk about?

Reply #521508 | Report this post

lo 57  
Years ago

The 4 southern Pen boys will be fun to watch. They were the core of the team that just missed top 4 at under 14 boys in darwin. what they lacked was another good shooter and bench depth and they would of taken it out.

I like the look of the country boys team. dont think they will beat metro or queensland, but they may surprise a lot of teams

Reply #521958 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

What the SP boys were missing in Darwin was a coach, and they were miles off making the top four. But you are correct in saying they will be fun to watch, plenty of talent.

Reply #521966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only were they not top 4, they weren't top 12!

Reply #521974 | Report this post

lo 57  
Years ago

that would be my mistake, they played in the shield final, which threw my thinking out abit. this is why i shouldnt be listened to often

Reply #522174 | Report this post

LarryLegend  
Years ago

I am with lo 57, SP will be up there. 4 players in VIc Country side plus an out of towner who is in the Vic Country side also playing in their VJBL side. Nobody touched them at Country Champs (doesnt mean much i know) and early VC form very good. Dont know about their head coach 2 years ago but have Boguts mate at the helm now.

Reply #522177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour is the Sandringham girl's coach quit after they lostt by 20 to Eltham on Friday night.

Reply #522925 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yep, heard the same thing. Politics going on, or just not up to it?

Reply #522927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 Vic metro players plus a 5th in the last 25. So not politics.

Rumour is an ex NBL coach has asked for the gig.

Reply #522929 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

That doesn't mean it is not politics, just means the coach had some good players. If an ex NBL coach has asked for the gig, and pressure has been placed on the current coach, then that would be politics i would have thought?

Reply #522930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You often post rubbish

Reply #522939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sandy aren't dominating VC how the hell do they get 4 State players in? Forget the coach they should be winning anyway.

Reply #523174 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Vic Country boys have potential

Reply #523995 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

You just need to look at the surnames of the girls that made the State team. Their parents made the coaches job untenable, especially the ex athletics coach! Well done to Sandy for standing up to the parents and backing the coach, but a person can only take so much!

Reply #524013 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

You just need to look at the surnames of the girls that made the State team. Their parents made the coaches job untenable, especially the ex athletics coach! Well done to Sandy for standing up to the parents and backing the coach, but a person can only take so much!

Reply #524014 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

Sorry for the double up.

Reply #524015 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anyone know the two sets of brothers (twins?) from Southern Pen picked for the VC team? I will be keen to see how they go, great for both families I expect...

Reply #524020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754