Isaac
Years ago

Serbian team has cut Jahii Carson already!

Metalac Valjevo could cut soon Jahii Carson. The coach of the Serbian team is not happy with the performances of Carson who moved to the team a few weeks ago.
Source (though no more content)

After 0/2 FG and a turnover in just 7 minutes in the first game, Carson did not play in Metalac's most recent game.

Topic #36726 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They played again today and he wasn't on the box score at all

Reply #521234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes an undersized scoring PG who isnt a great outside shooter or defender! He was never going to last there

Reply #521250 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who's he going to blame this on, I wonder.

Reply #521253 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Funny, just looked on his twitter before "I don't think I'll ever work a 9-5" Not looking that way mate!

Reply #521257 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thats a surprise...knew he wouldnt cut it.

Reply #521262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if its possible for Jahii to be humbled and to adjust his expectations.

It will take a lot of work from here on his attitude and game to earn a reasonable living from basketball.

Reply #521263 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

I tried to check his twitter but he blocked me.

Reply #521266 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopefully he plays Websters team before he's cut.

Reply #521279 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"I don't think I'll ever work a 9-5" Hmm perhaps he has interviewed to pick up an evening shift at MacDonalds ?

Reply #521298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#McDonaldsSoon #7LETTERS #6FIGURES

Wonder if Maccas will let him #EAT

Reply #521312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Metalac's site - auto-translated:

Karson hockey? Majstorovića Returning to the team, someone will be redundant, and as things stand, it is not excluded that it will be just cost us dearly amplification, American Džahi Carson. He's in training has managed to impose itself, I'm not even happy with his performance. The adaptation period passes, but I do not see that he has the quality to raise us to a higher level. We'll see if it will be found in a team ... - moody commented coach Vladimir Djokic.
Metalac have also signed a shooting guard in the last few days.

Reply #521324 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Dead in the water!!!

Reply #521329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything mentioned here by jonathan givony was correct - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jahii-Carson-6529/

Some excerpts below;

Carson had one of the highest usage rates of any player in the nation last season at 31%, which ranked fourth among players in our top-100 prospects. He struggled from two point range, converting only 44% on these attempts (third lowest among collegiate Top-100 prospects), but he was relatively effective from 3-point territory, where he shot 39.1% on three attempts per game.

That 3pt % dropped with the extended FIBA line.

Where Carson must improve is with his off the dribble shooting, as he converted a paltry 31% of these attempts (26/84) last season according to Synergy Sports Technology. His lack of size makes it difficult for him to get off clean looks, but he will need to find a way to punish defenders going under ball screens to cut off his driving lanes, something he struggled with quite a bit in college.

Very ball-dominant in his two seasons at Arizona State, Carson struggled to show translatable point guard skills on a consistent basis. He had trouble distributing the ball to his teammates, often struggling to make even the easiest of passes around the arc by putting either too much force into his passes or lazily throwing them in difficult places to catch.

Carson will likely struggle defensively in the NBA, due mainly to his size limitations but he doesn't put out consistent effort to make up for his deficiencies.

There are also some question marks regarding Carson's character, as he reportedly did not always see eye to eye with the coaching staff and has developed a bit of a reputation for not being a great teammate.

He has a bit of an uphill battle at this stage and won't get the benefit of being considered to have upside to grow into, despite playing only two seasons of college basketball, as he turns 22 in August and is thus the same age as many seniors in this draft.

I'm kind of schocked that the Hawks and Geordie recruited this guy.

Reply #521342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NAILED

"There are also some question marks regarding Carson's character, as he reportedly did not always see eye to eye with the coaching staff and has developed a bit of a reputation for not being a great teammate. "

Reply #521347 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Surely the alarm bells must of been ringing!!!

Reply #521351 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm kind of schocked that the Hawks and Geordie recruited this guy

Geordie DIDN'T though... it was Spenceley's big recruitment move and was super hyped about it at the time... Certainly not the guy you want running your fantasy basketball, sorry, I mean, actual basketball team...

Reply #521358 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

wow.... I would have loved to of been a fly in Geordie's brain when he heard Carson had been signed... It's a credit to the man's character that he didn't brutally murder Carson at any point last season.... all the while Carson was brutally murdering the hopes and dreams of Hawk fans.

Reply #521362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CARSON - #0

He offered exactly that. Nothing.

Reply #521368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blame his preparation in the subpar NBL

Reply #521415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee & King Podge you're clearly a know it all just like my 6 year old ...

I know a few flies on the wall there and it's complete bullshit that he was picked by the owner. He was Gordie's pick and the owner was simply trying to create a buzz on social media. Gordie wanted a second PG as a backup for Gary as Gordie screwed up the signing of Martin.

There was a list of at least a few possible options and the coaches picked Carson (sadly).

Reply #521419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So wrong Anon, so wrong.

Reply #521435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect there might be a little from column A and some from column B, we've always been 'told' Carson was foisted on a poor unsuspecting Gordie etc. There have been some ordinary imports at the Hawks in recent years like Catron, Glover, Monroe, Hurdle and Carson.

Reply #521439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was going to add that it was obvious before a ball had been bounced that the Hawks were going to struggle with an Ervin/Carson combo.

Reply #521440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would hardly bunch Lance Hurdle with those other names.

Reply #521446 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's no secret it was a "captain's call" for ownership. No surprise the Hawks have had the odd poor import considering they were spending $750K up until this season. The remarkable bit is how many good ones they had on that budget.

Reply #521451 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, I've liked the term "captain's call" but avoided it in this context because it implicates my brother who was definitely not behind this signing!

BTW, I think Carson might've been officially cut, after one game - awkward auto-translation, but you get the idea:

American point guard did not satisfy VALJEVCA, the parting was inevitable.
However, during his short stay in Valjevo not satisfied, so this week again a free agent. He competed only against the Stars before last weekend, when for seven minutes into the game a shot and missed two "open" a counter-attack host.

"Carson has not met expectations and we parted ways with him. On Tuesday should be completed and paperwork in connection with that," said the coach MONDO Metalca Vladimir Djokic.

Reply #521650 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Well that didn't last long

Reply #521699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very wrong paul, no-one other than the coaches picked form the list of PGs, anyone telling you otherwise is full of it

Reply #521764 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm backing the person who told me, they know more than a little bit about the Hawks.

Reply #521766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, are you suggesting the coaches were given a list?

Reply #521771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was shown directly a couple of the PGs they were looking at, obviously hindsight is wonderful but would have been a totally different season if they'd picked any names on that list rather than carson.

in the end wouldn't have stopped Wollongong Coal pulling the plug on them so doesn't make much difference now

Reply #521804 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm sure they were considering others, but there's a reason they went for Carson, same reason they signed Nevill, and it wasn't to do with McLeod.

I've heard it from someone who should know, and this article also talks of how Spenceley has "led the recruitment of better players", and the info for a profile like that would come from the horse's mouth.

http://www.brw.com.au/p/lists/young-rich/2014/brw_young_rich_james_spenceley_Hh9M3ptOE7VerMMKupnvzJ

Reply #521822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha paul you're too funny "i've heard it from someone who should know"

love it !

Reply #521823 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not really funny, the club is in serious trouble and Spenceley has hurt the place as much as he helped it by injecting funds. Not only that, the treatment of Dave Gruber was reprehensible.

Reply #521825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, i love that you make such claims when you hear from "someone you know, who should know". I work in spenceley's company and sit in the same office, being into basketball i've gotten the live updates all along the way.

if you think he picked carson, you're simply wrong, he was working a lot of US hours nights getting list of all available players to the coaches. then from that list the coaches got it down to carson and joe jackson, coaches picked carson after a call with some famous lakers coach who had worked with carson at the summer league, comment was something like "if I was still coaching the lakers I would have picked him in the draft, don't know why he wasn't drafted". Up to that point I was told Hawks were going with Joe Jackson.

if you think he made the decision on Nevill again wrong, he offered the budget for him as an alternative given the pre-season problems but most importantly no-one could say when/if Davidson was going to be able to play, he also offered the alternative of replacing an import with a SG as an alternative

I don't know what happened with Dave Gruber

there wouldn't have been a Hawks without spenceley last season, so if we are talking about impact, lets not forget that

Reply #521826 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When an owner is giving coaches lists there is an issue. As soon as Carson was signed, someone involved with the Hawks told me it was not McLeod's call. I'm going with that person because I have no way of verifying who you are.

The Gruber situation further backs up the leaks that the owner was making the calls.

Reply #521827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Wow.

Also I believe BJ Armstrong is his agent. His highlights would look great, you're speaking to BJ and he is getting recommendations by other big name coaches. It was probably easy to think he would play well in the NBL and sell tickets with an exciting style. I can see why they choose the player, and from the draftexpress article I can see why it didn't work out.

I'm guessing the decision was a little from column A and little from column B in relation to above. Although I don't work or deal with any of the parties above.

Reply #521829 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, from what you're saying it's possible the owner might have given the coaches a shortlist to pick from, but that's still clear interference when player selection should be left to the experts.

Hopefully the Hawks get through this, some new investers buy in and the ownership group sticks to growing and promoting the product and supporting the bball dept. Fronting up the coin to get Rotnei Clarke back would be a great start!

Reply #521831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As anon said, without Spenceley they likelihood of Hawks having a team last season with slim to none.

I've heard two sides of story of who picked Jahii and Neville, so i'll say it's somewhere in the middle. Coaches having a list to choose from.

Put yourself in the coaches shoes, of course they'd side with a new owner, whom without wouldn't have a job.

Put youself in the owners shoes, he's just forked out coin to own/save a team, of course he'd want a say in who the players are.

Reply #521936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Put youself in the owners shoes, he's just forked out coin to own/save a team, of course he'd want a say in who the players are.
If you don't respect the guys there who actually know basketball, that's really reckless. Typically the coaches shortlist players and run tape past the players for their opinion too. A non-basketball businessman has no chance in that context. What's he going to do? Listen to agents or read draft profiles? Even the draft profiles were fairly damning.

On what grounds is he shortlisting players? On how exciting they sound?

Reply #521943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"On what grounds is he shortlisting players? On how exciting they sound?"

OP - "he was working a lot of US hours nights getting list of all available players to the coaches"

that reads as, *all* available players not a short list he short listed

Reply #521947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches don't need an owner to tell them who is available, they know that. He was investigating players he wanted who were available.

Reply #521948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that is a pretty big statement, the world is a big place, there must be huge numbers of agents

Reply #521950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Hawks fan, can we just agree that if we survive, not having Jahii Carson is will make us a better team.

Reply #521955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not having jahii carson will make any team, a better team :)

Reply #521968 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Had to watch him play against the 36ers.
Like watching the neighbor blowing his nose for 25 minutes

Reply #521972 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"^ that is a pretty big statement, the world is a big place, there must be huge numbers of agents"

Coaches around the world found good players long before Spenceley, and they'll continue to find them long after. Talent ID is not the owners' job, and the Hawks this season are a good example of why.

Reply #521980 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754