Via @NZ_hoops on Twitter.

Topic #36732 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good appointment

Reply #521343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense to have a senior Breakers assistant who has played for the Tall Blacks in this role.

Reply #521344 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

couldn't happen to a nicer, more worthy human (well for a Kiwi anyways...).

Reply #521359 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

What's his credentials as a coach though?

Reply #521389 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

championship winning NZNBL coach with the Sharks, also coach Hawkes Bay and the Breakers.

Has been a NZ asst for a couple of years as well.

Reply #521397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches the starters in scrimmage games against the bench team during the week for the Breakers.

National team running the same system as the Breakers makes sense.

Reply #521398 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I still believe NZ Basketball was stupid for letting Tab Baldwin go coach the Phillipines instead of the Tall Blacks again.

I do prefer Henare as Head Coach to Pero Cameron, happy the big guy is involved but better suited as an assistant imo.

Reply #521410 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree pretty much 100% with you Mystro. Baldwin was the best choice while Henare got more experience, but he isn't a bad choice and will have to learn on the run. Hopefully Vucinic can still be involved in a mentoring role.

Reply #521420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kiwi here, we had a legitimate chance at beating aussie this year but now i have little hope

Reply #521424 | Report this post

some_fulla  
Years ago

Not so chuffed with this signing... Henare? Really? Should have got an Aussie!

Reply #521428 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not happy with this signing. Henare's coaching resume is limited. Massive step up from head coach of the NZNBL to a HC in an international environment.

I am still not sold on Henare's coaching ability. I think he is a great motivator, very honest (Mystro knows about THAT Southland timeout spray) and is great at seeing things from a player's perspective, given he played recently and understands the modern game.

But in terms of Xs and Os, he isn't up to it yet. Lets be honest he has less HC experience then virtually all the NZNBL and even age group coaches.

Would have loved to see Shawn Dennis (or is he involved with BA somehow?), Vickerman (I know he is an Aussie but surely he would be keen), Beveridge, Fearne (half Kiwi) or the like.

Vucinic was a masterclass of the Xs and Os..he also had great gameplans against the big dogs to be competetive. Henare doesn't have that yet.

Reply #521467 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:06 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754