Woooooohooooooo!

Reply #521366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penny for your thoughts.

Reply #521369 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Be interesting now player wise as so many players have moved away because of him (or in fact never gone there to start with). With a good budget and a new coach you could construct a pretty good team of ex players that might move back to the rangers now. Nervous times for other teams I would have thought if they get a good coach.

Reply #521370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does the Jayco budget leave with him though?

Reply #521372 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Maybe they might even give it to Larissa Anderson.... She's got runs on board, good rapport with players and can actually coach plus she's at the club.

Thoughts...

Reply #521375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised by this. Interesting to see if they retain the big $ though come next season and beyond, if it hasn't already been decided then I'd say the fate of the WNBL getting a TV deal will hinge on it.

Reply #521377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh look, a new opening for Bernie.

Penny Taylor was coaching the team while also playing anyway, might as well just give it over to her.

Reply #521379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They managed to keep the Jayco sponsorship last time he took a hiatus but there is definitely risk with this decision.

Reply #521385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larissa Anderson needs to take the reigns, very successful in SEABL and has a good relationship with a lot of players around the country

Reply #521386 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

think Jayco are a smart/big enough company to not have to rely on a coach to get their business advertised, and I think the negative business it would generate should they withdraw from rangers would be more costly that continuing sponsorship without Wright as a coach.

As for new coach they must already know who its going to be as they have intimated a new coach will be named shortly, so it may well be a 'job for the boy' position they have had sitting waiting for this to happen, which I doubt would be Anderson, though she's certainly a great candidate for it.
Just so long as its not Bernie Harrower hahaha or his side kick Goodman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #521395 | Report this post

Good riddance. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out!!!!!

Reply #521402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with the hate?

Reply #521416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the story with Jayco and their support of the Rangers and before then the Giants v2 as I recall were also Jayco sponsored with Wright at the helm? What is the connection between Jayco and Wright?

Reply #521417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with the hate? haha. Can't wait to see the program rebuilt and revamped. Players will stay more than one season and make it better for the fans. Looking forward to the season already! Hopefully Jayco can separate friendship from business and remain as a sponsor - a winning team and program with a good reputation will surely benefit his sponsorship.

Reply #521433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Wright coaches the team because he has a mate who is the owner of the major sponsor...

The WNBL admits a new team into the league and Heal decides to coach it so he can coach his daughters...

Brendan Joyce coaches his son throughout his NBL career hoping to one day unlock a hidden talent everyone else can see just isn't there...

Kristi Harrower takes over her Dad's timeouts at critical stages of big games...

I thought this stuff only happened at junior level...

Talk about self interest...the sport is rife with it!!! All levels are screaming for a root and branch revolution.

Reply #521438 | Report this post

Dr  
Years ago

What fantastic news!!
Couldn't be happier to see the club bite the bullet and make the necessary change.
It's hard to change a coach, you always get backlash either way, so they've finally made the move, let's hope they announce something quickly.
I hope Anderson gets a go, is as deserved as anyone else.
Hopefully whoever it is builds some consistency and a TEAM!
Glad to see the back of Wright but not sure if they'll have the same budget. I'm sure Jayco will still sponsor but probably won't tip in all the extra $$.
Next big question is what happens to MacLeod?? Does she go with Wright out of loyalty?? Maybe Wright and MacLeod to Bendig as a package deal... They need a coach and a point guard by the sounds of thing!

Reply #521456 | Report this post

HoopsV  
Years ago

See ya later Caravan money. IF they sponsor at all except Dandy's budget to come back to the rest of the field.

Reply #521468 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

A few parting shots at the management I see ...
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/dandenong-rangers-opt-for-new-coach-tell-mark-wright-his-time-is-up-20150316-1m0dt3.html

Reply #521506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Mark Wright is tight with Gerry Ryan? wow.

Too bad their crack at NBL was short lived and downright pathetic. I guess the same amount of $/budget means more at WNBL level.

Reply #521551 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Now they just need to move DG out the door before he destroys the program completely.

Reply #521568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laughing at that age article where he is quoted "big eyes, big ears, small mouth"
Small mouth will need some work! Penny Taylor was apparently unhappy with his coaching so her return now is probably more likely.... If the money is there.

Reply #521589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I enjoy even more his comment that coaching is just a hobby for him. Wonder how Dandenong feel about paying his cheques for over half a decade knowing the job was 'just a hobby' to him.

Oz basketball is better off without the fella I say

Reply #521592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are some of the good coaches in this country?

Reply #521599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it's a hobby you don't get paid Mr. Wright!

Reply #521708 | Report this post

the option  
Years ago

Who should the Rangers get as their new coach ?. How about Larissa, always happy to speak to the supporters, unlike, well you know. Is she the peoples choice ?. What about Ray Tomlinson, i notice he is in the home game crowd sometimes. Gary Fox , maybe, why was he let go in the first place after three straight grand final appearances ?. Who else, what about Paul Obrien, Cheryl Chambers, those two have had head coaching experience. We could also go back to Alex Palazolo, he did a good job at Sandy women. Dandy could offer Penny the playing coach role as some say she was doing it already. Dandy could take a chance on a virtual unknown but prob not,but whoever it is, i am just glad it will be a new coach...

Reply #521789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larissa Anderson for my pick. Shown she can coach a winning team and has respect in the state

Reply #521808 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Correct answer ^

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/dandenong-rangers-sign-larissa-anderson-as-clubs-first-female-wnbl-coach-20150325-1m7m9o.html

Reply #522541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope it's the start of a good thing, though she will need to ditch some of her SEABL players, whilst they may be grat playing together in SEABL , WNBL is a whole other story. But great choice by Dandenong

Reply #522550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how Larissa will be able to combine coaching SEABL with signing players and doing pre season for the WNBL. Tough to combine both. Does this mean she will hand over the SEABL job?

Reply #522590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larissa is a very capable woman who will manage just fine

Reply #522592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time will tell. No doubt she is capable but she hasn't had to coach against the likes of Chris Lucas, Carrie Graf, Guy Molloy etc. Bit of a step up from SEABL and you need to be able to think on your feet and make quick decisions. Do certainly hope she will do well. We need more female coaches at the elite level.

Reply #522649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach against Lucas, Graf etc - seriously she can more than handle herself. How is Graf going without Jackson?

Reply #522713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed ^

Reply #522739 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754