Tornado
Years ago

Daniel Johnson hospitalised with pneumonia

Suffering from Pneumonia and has undergone 2 operations to drain fluid.

Get well soon DJ and I look forward to seeing you back on the court for the 36ers soon.

Topic #36741 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

how does that happen in such a young healthy athlete?

Reply #521549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pneumonia can occur in anyone,as a result of a virus or bacteria.. pneumococcal is particulary nasty. inflammation causes exudate or pus around the alveoli or air sacs impairing gas exchange and therefore extremely dangerous. Young and old are at higest risk but for someone like Daniel it may just be the type of virus or bacteria that facilitated the pneumonia making him so sick. IV antibiotics and antivirals if virus identified and a host of other medications and IV fluid replacments are required and monitoring of all body system. He would have had excess fluid drained from around the sacs. It can be fatal in any age group and often in this age group care is not sought early enough as they continue to work and push themselves thinking it is just a virus or flu and self medicate from a chemist until they can't keep going when it takes a hold. Prayers for Daniel that he recovers quickly with no long term affects. Looking forward to seeing you back on court next season. You're a champ and a fine young man representing your sport and Adelaide is lucky to have you. #GetWellDJ

Reply #521552 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Best of luck to the fellow, it is nasty. Almost happened to me once, got to pleurisy but caught it in time not to progress to pneumonia.

Speaking to doctors in the hospital about it, they told me that I had a cold, but didn't rest properly and just riding my cough and infection out while still working wasn't being tough, it was in fact dumb.

Warning to everyone, not just athletes, if you are not well, rest until you get well and ease into it, don't push too hard or you will go backwards...

Athletes, by all accounts are more suseptable because they use almost all of their energy reserves playing and training, this is why proper recovery is paramount!

Reply #521553 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

There's plenty of evidence that athletes doing a lot of endurance based exercise experience falls in white cell counts afterwards. As a result, they're more susceptible to infections and similar illnesses.

While usually associated with distance walkers & runners, triathletes, etc. it would probably apply to other athletes with a heavy training/playing workload.

Recovery helps restore the immune system as well as other body systems.

Reply #521562 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Being a a professional athlete (as opposed to just regular exercise) puts a lot of strain on the body. It's possible he had the beginnings (nasty cough etc) whilst still playing and pushed himself through it.

Hope he gets well soon.

Reply #521570 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I hard he had an allergic reaction to the two Gibson Production videos released today.

Reply #521578 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Had bronchitis three times, last time it turned into pneumonia. It is bloody awful, best wishes to DJ, hope he beats it soon.

Reply #521586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have an update on how DJ is????

Reply #522366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://t.co/IE01WrQVrp
Out of hospital.

"I'm waiting for the ribs to heel," he said.
Either Daniel has a poor grasp of anatomy or Boti has a poor grasp of English.

Reply #522619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Using terms loosely likely to describe that his intercostal (between the ribs) muscles that were cut to access the lung pleura (sac) to drain inflammatory fluids. So yes his Ribs and attached tissues (something has to stretch and contract to move your rib cage) need time to heal. He may even have had some rib removal as well.

Reply #522637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ribs can crack with coughing in pneumonia

Reply #522644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/daniel-johnson-beats-pneumonia-now-for-long-trek-back-to-nbl-fitness-for-36ers-star/story-fnii09ki-1227279945986

best of luck for your recovery DJ. glad you are on the mend !!!!

Reply #522645 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good news. That's a hell of a scare for an elite athlete.

Reply #522654 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'637, I suspect it's a joke about heel/heal.

Reply #522676 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754