Anonymous
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets bid leader calls for NBL clarity

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/brisbane-bullets-bid-leader-calls-for-nbl-clarity-20150319-1m3dw6.html

Topic #36763 | Report this topic

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Brian is an idiot. He throws his hat in to the ring at the moment that two teams are in VA, then blames the uncertainty for him not being able to get the job done.

Reply #521901 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

To be fair I don't think he threw his hat into the ring the moment the teams went into VA, he's been lobbying for the Bullets' return way before that.

Reply #521909 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Sorry, I should have said "during the period that..."

He has been talking a good game for a while. He takes action during the worst possible time, then blames the uncertainty. Why didn't he have this bid and all the backers ready to go towards the end of last year, after the Blitz announcement?

Reply #521914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I don't understand is why did Paul Bendat withdraw his bid?

IP? That's now been sorted.

So what made him change his mind?

Reply #521915 | Report this post

Ogre  
Years ago

I wonder what the contingency plan for the Wildcats ownership is? Jack Bendat is 90 so maybe Paul would be taking over once Jack is no longer around?

Reply #521919 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Normally I'm a huge fan of utilising the last minute to get everything done, but in this case, Uwe is spot on... Why wait until the season is over, all the buzz has gone from the Blitz, to make the push to get a team organised?

I have huge issues with the football codes, but you can't argue with their setting up of new teams, with at least a full season to promote and garner support... Sign their marquee players and have it all ready to go come the proper season...

I guess all his hot air has gotten him more traction and a response from the league, as it's been frustrating as a fan and not hearing anything, but if they've been copping the same treatment as a team bid, then I guess drastic times need drastic measures to get some attention...

Reply #521920 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I'm not just criticising him for waiting to the last minute. I'm saying that he is trying to get a bid together when there are two teams in VA, then publicly having a go at the league for not being able to provide clarity on next seasons structure. Well, no shit. Of course they kind provide any clarity at this particular time so I'm baffled why he chose to say it.

I'm guessing he is full of hot air so is using the current woes of the league as an excuse as to why he can't get his bid off the ground.

Reply #521930 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I asked the question, and got ridiculed for it, but I'd still like to know who is bankrolling Kerle's bid?

NB: I am also baffled by what this so-called "lack of clarity/ certainty" is?
At this stage, the NBL could have anything from 6 to 10 teams competing next season, so obviously they can't release fixtures. But I fail to see how that is a problem for a new bid?
Whether there are 6 teams and you play every team 6 times, or 10 teams and play them 3 times, you'll get 13~15 home games and a similar number away.
You STILL need a Coach, players, venue, management, money, etc, etc.

Reply #521977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only a guess but perhaps the potential investors want to know whether a new Television broadcast deal for next season has been signed

Reply #521978 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I imagine that would be the key factor too, anon. There won't be a TV deal until there's certainty though - chicken, meet egg.

Reply #521981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uwe and Dazz will solve it don't worry Brian all is in safe hands.
Dazz is the erson that dint know the true Bullets bid had withdrawn. All good however.

Reply #521987 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Only a guess but perhaps the potential investors want to know whether a new Television broadcast deal for next season has been signed

Then unfortunately I have some really bad news for them: If they honestly believe that a TV deal will have any bearing on their bid, or worse are delusional enough to think they will get money from it, then they need to go back to the drawing board.
No TV deal is going to do anything much for a new team, and if your bid depends on it for either revenue or exposure, then forget it. Furthermore, anyone that thinks it would, should not be involved in a bid because they clearly know nothing about the realities of Basketball in Australia.

We'd all LOVE to see a lucrative prime-time deal for the NBL, but 30 years of history says its not going to happen. I'm sure there'll be A TV deal, but its not going to be the saviour.

Reply #521989 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Dazz - You clearly haven't thought through the implications of a TV deal beyond its potential as a source of revenue. Think of it as a source of cost and it may help to understand why people post those sort of comments.

NBL may be contemplating a TV deal that costs it money. BA is talking about $600,000 to secure FTA TV for WNBL, given ABC will no longer provide coverage. Presumably, NBL would cost similarly. Unless there's a naming rights sponsor to pick up the tab, presumably the clubs would have to pay.

So, if I'm investing, I at least want to know if I'm up for that sort of cost and whether I'm paying a tenth (10 clubs) or a sixth (6 clubs) or some other share of that cost and for how many years the deal will run.

Given the issues with the previous deal, I'd also like to know what my money will buy - 4 home games shown or 14, each season. Plus what sort of national TV exposure I can expect. Because that might be a selling point to bring other sponsors or investors on board.

Reply #522192 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Exactly PeterJohn, well said. How can you go out to a potential major sponsor without giving them an idea of the exposure they'll get?

Reply #522194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:12 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754