GTS
Years ago

Trigger signs for 2 more years with Taipans

The NBL's best sixth man will remain in orange until 2017 after forward Cameron Tragardh signed for a further two seasons with the CQUniversity Cairns Taipans.

The club’s first player signing of the off-season ensures the Taipans’ front line remains strong, with big men Alex Loughton and Matt Burston both on-contract for next season.

Tragardh, 31, was a revelation for the Taipans off the bench in 2014-15, ranking second for the club in scoring (12.2 points per game), rebounds (4.9) and finishing fifth in the NBL in offensive rebounding (2.3).

Tragardh was the league’s fourth-best offensive rebounder and was named the NBL’s Best Sixth Man during the 2015 Finals, recognition head coach Aaron Fearne says is a credit to Tragardh’s selflessness.

"He had a sensational season and bought into his role 100 per cent. That’s a credit to him, as he’s been a starter in the NBL for a long time and had to change roles," Fearne said.

“Cam had a sensational season this year. He’s an impact player and is a tough cover when he gets going offensively. He’s a game changer and a game winner.”

Fearne said the Taipans’ famed teamwork and stingy defence would be bolstered with Tragardh’s returning alongside teammates Burston and Loughton.

“You need experience and they’ve all played in lot of big games, so it’s important having them all back.”

“The way we played as a team this season was sensational. Guys bought in, we played extremely unselfishly and defended well as a team, and it takes teamwork to do that.”

Tragardh joined the Taipans in 2012 after two seasons with the Melbourne Tigers. In his 73 appearances for the Snakes he has averaged 11.9 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.

Topic #36766 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

... I thought Free Agency didn't start until April 30?

Reply #522075 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's only for signing players from other clubs.

Reply #522078 | Report this post

Good re-signing by the Snakes. He meant the world to them coming off the bench.

Reply #522085 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit strange that Free Agency doesn't include Free Agents who re-sign with their own teams? I have no doubt that Trigger would have re-signed regardless, but still.

Reply #522269 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Not really, as this way it gives Finals teams the chance to negotiate with their players after the games and allows them to focus on the games at hand... Of course, very annoying for new teams coming in (or if you're after a particular player for your current team who currently plays for someone else), with the quality players re-signing with their current teams before you've had a chance to approach them... But if they were that keen on staying with a current team, more often than not, they would have re-signed with them anyways, saying "I wouldn't mind checking out my street value" isn't an uncommon thing in the NBL, Mitch Creek has done it a couple of times, just as an example I think?

Reply #522280 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think a lot of players would check out their "street value" during the restricted period and then sign with their current team before free agency if no offer grabs them.

Reply #522282 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754