Very Old
Years ago

Boti and "Thank Naismith"

First up, I appreciate his longevity and commitment to basketball, and I generally enjoy reading his stuff ( I even bought the book when it came out)

BUT ....

This "Thank Naismith" stuff just jars me every time I read it - does Boti and his extended family go down on their knees at night and do group prayers to a deceased Canadian YMCA employee ?

Was this secret eastern European worship and subsequent divine interventions the real reason behind the Nagy brothers ( and cousins) apparent success at basketball and not any personal talent ?

Does Boti tithe 10% of his income to some American based tax-exempt secretive "church " that either worships or was founded by Naismith ( think L.Ron Hubbard), or perhaps engage in naked rites under a full moon ? (p un intended)

Does Boti think this saying is funny, or does he think that he personally is the Chachi Arcola of Australian basketball and if he says it often enough it will become a catch phrase ( think of the "bandana tied on a pants leg schtick ).

Or does it just want to read like high school kid writing for the local school paper ?

Topic #36774 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Why do you care so much? haha

Reply #522198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His Naismith stuff, is funnier than your post

Reply #522199 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

RMQ
A few minutes ago
15:41 23 Mar 15

Reply #522198
re: Boti and "Thank Naismith"

Why do you care so much? haha

Dear RMQ
Thank you for asking - I expect that this is a question that does puzzle you - and that is quite understandable given your situation - I care because everyone - no matter how trollish, lonely, terminally attention seeking, deservedly abandoned by their family, intellectually challenged, drunk, doped or over-medicated, needs to be appreciated for who they are - which is a precious rare and jewel of a human being who no matter what mistakes they may make in life - performs at least one major positive function within the human society on this wonderful blue planet - bumping the rest of us up one place above "average" -

You were asking about yourself I assume:

In respect of Boti's post I don't care that much at all

Reply #522200 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"...I generally enjoy reading his stuff ( I even bought the book when it came out)"

You bought In the Stillness of a Single Breath?

Reply #522204 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

no - this one

High Flyers: Women's Basketball in Australia

Reply #522205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Stop trying to make "Thank Naismith" happen.

I think it's fine. Topical and preferable to the alternative. Everyone has their peculiarities.

Reply #522223 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Personally I love it,

I think it is clever, even if he uses it a little too often but it is so much better than reading something in which they put their religious views upon a story... So who better to thank in that situation than the creator of the game that we love so much and the reason why we read and comment on this site.

If AFL used the alternative of 'thank Wills' (Tom Wills being the first man to put rules to Aussie Rules) then I certainly wouldn't take issue with it.

Frankly I think your making too much of it buddy, just sit back and enjoy his writing for what it is or peruse on here instead or do both... Surely you can't get enough basketball,

Reply #522249 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Very Old
Yesterday

Boti and "Thank Naismith"

Sorry, I'm with poster 'Very Old' on this. Am sick of BN, and find him lacking in substance, and often portraying speculation and rumor as fact. I find what you guys post far more accurate and timely for the most part, so in that sense BN fails dreadfully in his role. Sad when a Forum is way more accurate than a seasoned journalist.

Reply #522250 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

If you're using Hoops as a factual reference of integrity Anonz you must believe a few other theories out there.

There were 2 shooters on the grassy knoll, Roswell did happen,Ken Cole never touched a joint in his life,Marty Clarke could coach, Paris McCurdy was the best player to pull on a Sixers uniform....

Reply #522257 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If you don't like his stuff, don't read his stuff. Simple.

The term thank God refers to the 'creator', so the basketball translation is thank Naismith. Again, simple.

I certainly don't agree with everything Boti writes, but I love the way he goes about it. Basketball discussions in Australia would be a lot duller without him.

Reply #522262 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^+1

Reply #522268 | Report this post

BlogBog  
Years ago

Yawn...must be the offseason when something as pointless as this comes along.

Let people have their bents & peculiarities and enjoy your own.

Reply #522307 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Am sick of BN, and find him lacking in substance, and often portraying speculation and rumor as fact "

I think you will find most of Boti's articles published on Newscorp/Adelaide Advertiser are quite factual and to the point.

Sometimes his blog is subject to "speculation and rumor as fact", but that's his Blog, her can write what he wants and if you don't like it you don't have to go there to read it. He is a passionate writer and you cant really dis-credit him from that.

Reply #522314 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Sometimes his blog is subject to "speculation and rumor as fact", but that's his Blog, her can write what he wants "

He can't really. If he posts speculation as fact when it isn't, or leaves enough suggestions for others to come up with an answer that he knows he can't print because it isn't true, he's coming close to the line of defamation.

Reply #522325 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It would only border on defamation if what he was speculating on was going to harm the reputation of someone or something. Speculation is not always negative or harmful, nor is putting a truthful spin on a rumor ;)

Reply #522329 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Mind you, his continued assault on James Ennis and Nick Marvin could somewhat be interpreted as borderline defamation :P

Reply #522330 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The Ennis thing probably couldn't be proven to be considered harmful considering he landed his NBA deal.

I think its quite telling that he has stopped singling out Marvin though, particularly after some suggestions/allegations about him proved to be incorrect.

Reply #522342 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Could have something to do with Marvin no longer having the conflict of interest that caused some of his actions as NBL Chair to be questioned. Now Nick is back to just being a superb club Managing Director.

Reply #522346 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

He stopped singling him out for the alleged conflict of interest well before he resigned from the board.

Reply #522349 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the point of change was the NBL getting an independent Chair.

Reply #522352 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Or, he realised he was wrong with his accusations so thought it would be best if he stopped doing it?

Reply #522359 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's possible, but given it coincided with Wade's arrival I would say that had more to do with it, especially as Nagy's issue with Marvin was the conflict of interest.

I had the same concerns, it took far too long to happen and I believe that hurt the league in more than one way.

Reply #522383 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

re: Boti and "Thank Naismith"

If you're using Hoops as a factual reference of integrity Anonz you must believe a few other theories out there.

"There were 2 shooters on the grassy knoll, Roswell did happen,Ken Cole never touched a joint in his life,Marty Clarke could coach, Paris McCurdy was the best player to pull on a Sixers uniform...."

Oh well allow me to retort.

We all know there was only one shooter on the grassy knoll (back, and to the left).. Roswell is still happening, have you not seen the movie 'Paul'?, and Clarky is/was a fine coach (hi Clarky !),and the King has the world's best Pink Floyd collection. As for PMac, I can't help you there, I was always a Pudd fan.

My point was, though slightly obscure, that if I can get more accurate and timely information from a forum, what's the point of BN? And the defense that his blog is allowed to be more subjective is complete crap. He's portraying conjecture and speculation as fact, doesn't matter where, it's still presented as fact for public consumption. Either be accurate or don't publish it.

And this is my problem, I no longer read his crap, but then I step in it accidentally on this forum (deliberate dogshit analogy).

Reply #522391 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

paul, you can't show concern for a conflict of interest, then suggest some scenarios that didn't happen in order to further your perception of conflict of interest.

This isn't about who is or isn't on the Board. This is about a scoop journalist making sure he is always first in with the news, even if he has to invent some of it to stay relevant.

Reply #522414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anonz, a reasonable amount of information on Hoops comes from Boti's columns. I don't think of his NBL stuff as speculative as much as a barometer of general opinion and rumour within the NBL clubs. e.g., if he writes of concern about governance or sway of Marvin, you can be sure that there is talk of the same amongst NBL clubs.

Reply #522426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank Naismith for Boti, he is about the only one out there in the media with a true passion for the league. Impressive longevity too. Every other journalist covering NBL does it temporary before being assigned to another sport or area as they aren't really interested.

Reply #522488 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, I understand what you're saying and agree to an extent, it's just the manner in which he portrays it.

But I take on board what you're saying.

Reply #522643 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"paul, you can't show concern for a conflict of interest, then suggest some scenarios that didn't happen in order to further your perception of conflict of interest."

I'm not suggesting he got everything right, but the conflict of interest in the governance of the league (not just Marvin) has hurt the league badly and I'm glad Boti was reporting vigorously on it.

If getting a few facts wrong was a bannable offence, we wouldn't have many journos left in the world these days, sadly scoop journalism is the current way things are done.

Reply #522653 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754