JS
Years ago

Basketball associations not admitting their wrong

How are you're feelings about GM's currently holding a position of power in you're stadium.

I am a long time coach and organiser in my local stadium where an indecent occurred. Which a player on my team did the wrong thing and coped the penalty in line with what he did. My complaint is about the way it was handled from both the Association and the Referee (whom is a national league official).

The Referee apologised in private for his mistake but when I requested a response to my complaint the new GM advised me that if I keep on the path of complaining he would suspend me in contempt.

I told him I request a meeting with the board to discuss this matter, as a long serving person within the association. I believed I have a right to raise my concerns with them directly as he didn't want to deal with the issue at hand- he advised I was not "allowed to front the board" and that's the final decision

Where do these GM's get off, you run a complex that is there for the basketball public. We are participates we pay our fees and expect our concerns to be heard. All I wanted was acknowledgement of there wrong handling but they are unwilling.

Advising me that I am unable to front the board shows me he is holding on a high horse approach and doesn't want to jeopardise his position within the board as his new position.

I'm sick of hearing just because someone is a national league official they don't make mistakes and just because your in charge you are always right.

Topic #36788 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suck it up and move on would be my advice.

Reply #522575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a lawyer.

Reply #522578 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

I hope you spoke better than you write when raising your concerns with the GM over the 'indecent'

Reply #522583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Does a board really want to be meeting over each minor grievance that a member wants to take beyond the GM? They'd quit en masse if so. And a GM might have other things chewing up their time.

Put it in writing and then let it go, or find a club that works to your liking. Or write an open letter that you are happy to legally back.

Finally, whatever you do (whether official complaint or open letter), get someone to proofread your work as that might help you be taken more seriously. I found your post very difficult to read because of the many mistakes.

Reply #522584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look and see if your club has a complaints and grievances policy.

Reply #522591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read your Association's constitution. By law every constitution needs a grievance procedure incorporated in their constitution.

A GM is simply an employee of an Association and the board has a responsibility to it's members to deal with grievances. Take your issues to your board!

Reply #522598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you should first communicate with club management who should be able to reacquaint you'd with appropriate communication and public comment policies. As the clubs are held responsible, they normally expect any complaint to be referred via the club lest you contravene conduct obligations you have agreed to.

Reply #522602 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Wait until December 23rd, then speak out during the "Airing of Grievances".

Reply #522603 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I think the GM is completely within his rights to say you cannot front the Board.

But you are equally within your rights to bring the matter to the Boards attention in writing.

Reply #522618 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

How big a mistake or incident are we talking?

If it is a judgement call or a case of hurt feelings/damaged pride ....it really is a move on situation.

If it is something threatening or pushing the boundaries of legality then pursue it.

There is enough happening in everyones life if it is simply a 'I'm right and want it acknowledged' situation ...be the better person and move on.

Reply #522640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FYI, it's they're not their

Reply #522651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you should anonymously whinge about it on a forum...

Reply #522656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"FYI, it's they're not their"

ALso later on it's their, not there
Also it's your, not you're
Also it's incident not indecent
Also it's copped not coped
Also it's douchebag not referee

Reply #522669 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Leave the OP alone on the grammar - Isaac and others have already said this, why do you guys need to punch on about it?

Reply #522671 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Speed44 wins!

Reply #522687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually in the thread title both "they're" and "their" could be correct, depending on how you read it.
Just saying

Reply #522700 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

People must be retarded if they can't read and understand your post. Don't let them walk all over you good on you. Need more people like this in the world. Too many lazy people let everything go....

Reply #523219 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:44 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754