Isaac
Years ago

Ingles to rest from Boomers games in 2015

Australian native Joe Ingles, current member of the NBA's Utah Jazz, will not participate in international competition with the Australian Men’s Basketball National Team during the summer of 2015. Joe has competed with the Australian National Team, known as the Boomers, since 2008.

After consulting with the Utah Jazz, Boomers Head Coach Andrej Lemanis, and Basketball Australia’s General Manager of High Performance and National Teams Chuck Harmison, a unanimous decision was made that it was in the best interests of all parties for Joe to rest this summer. Joe fully intends to rejoin the Boomers for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Full announcement

Topic #36790 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Great chance for Todd Blanchfield to step up, he's more than ready.

Reply #522661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know how many of our NBA players are committed to playing in 2015? (This August V NZ)

Also will Ben Simmons play?

Reply #522663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any quote from Gaze yet, stating how he never missed a Boomers camp or series? We were tougher back in my day type stuff.

Reply #522667 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well he was!

Reply #522674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm waiting for Ken Cole to suggest that Ingles should move his proposed rest period from Summer 2015 to Winter instead. He rested so successfully in the 80s and he can do it again if he just gets the timing and marketing right.

Reply #522675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder whether not playing could also be linked to Ingles getting married around that same time

Reply #522678 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"I'm waiting for Ken Cole to suggest that Ingles should move his proposed rest period from Summer 2015 to Winter instead. He rested so successfully in the 80s and he can do it again if he just gets the timing and marketing right."

LOL - Gold!

It's unfortunate that the Boomers lose players for these reasons, but at the same time it's just a side effect of having players competing at the elite level now. i.e. it's kind of a nice problem to have to deal with. I don't begrudge Joe the break just like I never begrudged Bogut or Longley in the past.

Joe has already taken tremendous strides this season, and the higher he can take his game in the NBA, the better it is for aussie basketball in the long run anyway.

Reply #522679 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Ingles has suited up for almost every Boomers game he has been able to over the past 7ish years. If the rest helps him solidify his spot in the NBA and his future then I don't think anyone can be upset about that.

Also the fact that it said he consulted with the Jazz looks good for his future there.

Reply #522681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's gotta be tough for all the NBA guys to come back and play a meaningful series after playing an 80-100 game season.

To add to what Paul said, if Blanchfield can get back to last season's 3pt% it'd make for a pretty deadly shooting rotation at the SF spot with Broekhoff.

Reply #522686 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Any thoughts on which other Aussie NBA players will make themselves available for 2015 series?

Reply #522695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gazey sure played a lot of NBA games and then backed it up playing for the boomers right.......

Reply #522697 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gaze would play NBL, Boomers, Europe, NBL, Boomers back-to-back without a break, and he played a lot more minutes in his career than any current player is going to.

The game has changed, no doubt, but Gaze has earned the right to comment on the commitment of any player if he chooses.

Reply #522698 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Gaze hasn't played the game for 20 years. He was one of the greatest Australian players ever but he should probably leave it at that...

Reply #522708 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm quite philosophical about this.

I don't know how you can not want to represent your country, regardless of how tired you are.

Surely, if he isn't going to be representing the Boomers, he will just be doing 2/3 a days anyway, in which case, the fatigue factor doesn't make too much sense.

Kevin Pietersen recently turned down millions to represent his country and I applaud him for that, especially with everything that has gone on with the ECB.

Reply #522715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everybody has their own goals that they want to achieve.

Jingles wanting to try and establish himself in the nba and have a 5+ year career in that league may be part of his goals. The Jazz may have told him there is a chance of a roster spot next year if he does summer league, etc and works with their coaches.

Jingles having a season where he is playing minutes in the nba leading up to the Olypmics is probably the Boomers best case scenario providing they do beat the Tall Blacks which won't be an easy task.

Reply #522719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze hasn't made any comment has he?

What are you all on about

Reply #522720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When do tickets go on sale for the Rod Laver Arena game?

(Australian Boomers V New Zealand Tall Blacks)

Reply #522721 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

MACDUB. No Kevin Pieterson turned down millions of $$$ to represent England.

Reply #522726 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Peitersen

Reply #522728 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Really big loss to be without Ingles. He has been so valuable in his last 2 major campaigns.

Based on info from this old thread prior to the World Cup:
http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/35009-all-time-boomers-stats/

Ingles has played 36 Boomers games, which is more than Mills (32), Bogut (24), and Longley; and not so far off retired Boomers stalwarts Heal (49), Nielsen (41), Andersen (46).

Based on the stats listed in the thread mentioned above, here is an updated all-time scorer leaderboard for Boomers players (adding stats from the 2014 World Cup):

(1) Andrew Gaze - 72 games - 1,438 points
(2) Shane Heal - 49 games - 728 points
(3) Phil Smyth - 70 games - 647 points
(4) Eddie Palubinskas - 23 games - 581 points
(5) Ian Davies - 28 games - 539 points
(6) Mark Bradtke - 51 games - 497 points
(7) Patty Mills - 32 games - 477 points
(8) Brad Newley - 47 games - 429 points
(9) Larry Stengstock - 60 games - 408 points
(10) Andrew Vlahov - 56 games - 407 points
(11) Matt Neilson - 41 games - 375 points
(12) Joe Ingles - 36 games - 369 points
(13) David Andersen - 46 games - 367 points
(14) Ray Borner - 55 games - 362 points
(15) Andrew Bogut - 24 games - 312 points

Ingles moved up from 15th to 12th after the 2014 World Cup. If he makes himself available, Ingles has a realistic chance to move up into the top 10 all-time Boomers scorers following the NZ series. At just age 27, his Boomers achievements are quite impressive.

Reply #522736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"MACDUB. No Kevin Peitersen turned down millions of $$$ to represent England."

That is fantastic!

Reply #522742 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Lol there is no way KP plays for England again. No one cares about basketball on the international stage seriously. Protect yourself and your long term career in the NBA Joe. Setup your family for life by playing 3-4 more nba seasons.

Reply #522747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Surely, if he isn't going to be representing the Boomers, he will just be doing 2/3 a days anyway, in which case, the fatigue factor doesn't make too much sense."

Reading between the lines the Jazz told him he's got a chance to make their team next season if he doesn't risk injury by playing for the Boomers during the offseason.

Reply #522750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think we have a chance to qualify with 2nd fiddle players against a full strength nz lineup?
If no Bogut, no ingles, no Simmons etc...

Against something like...

Jackson/t.webster
Penney/c.webster
Vukona/Abercrombie/Te rangi
Fotu/loe/wynnard
Adams/pledger

Reply #522761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would people agree that the best boomers lineup is:

Mills/delly/exum
Broekoff/Newley
Ingles/Simmons
Baynes/bairstow/motum
Bogut/Ogilvy

Reply #522762 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It is definitely a loss, but I don't think it is one we can hold against him. As has been mentioned, he has been in the Boomers team every off season of his career basically. If it is in the best interest of his career to take a break, then so be it. I expect he will be donning the jersey in Rio with renewed energy and intensity.

As for arguing about Gaze's hypothetical stand point, the man hasn't said anything. I don't expect he will say much about it.

Blanchfield would be capable of making that leap. Joe's are definitely big shoes to fill, but I think Blanchfield is the only guy who gives us similar attributes at his position. Mitch Creek could also be a consideration.

But as has been said, we wont beat NZ with a second rate team. We will need confirmation from most of our core players to beat the Tall Blacks. They will be no push overs. Are the signs still positive for Delly, Exum, Baynes, Patty, Bogut?

We can probably take heart in the fact that Bogut hasn't pulled out - yet.

If we take a squad to NZ, with essentially a similar squad as played the worlds; but minus Ingles for Patty, I would very much like our chances. Throw Bogut in there and we would be red hot favourites even if we miss say, a Baynes, or Exum.

As for Cedric Jackson playing - the series is in august, it is now late may. I don't think he is being naturalised in 5 months.

Losing Ingles is a blow, but it is certainly not the biggest loss we have suffered. If we snare Patty, I would say we are ahead of where we were last year.

Reply #522764 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous, you have Ingles in your line up. He is obviously out. I will list a few line ups to make up for worst chance scenarios -

Our best line up

Mills
Broekhoff
Newley
Motum
Bogut

Delly
Exum - (but I am not sold on Exum as a player yet)
Blanchfield
Simmons
Bairstow
Baynes

------------------------
If no Exum or Delly, substitute in one of Greenwood, Gibson, Martin, Gliddon

If no Baynes or Bogut, Substitute in Jawai, Ogilvy, Maric, Anderson

If no Mills, we are probably a bit fucked. Lol

Reply #522765 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Maybe throw in Maker as 12th man after all this talk of Canada trying to poach him

Reply #522766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant our rio lineup as 'best squad'.

The Olympic qualifier tournament. Well... Who knows who will play...

Reply #522767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My qualifiers prediction.

Mills/delly/greenwood
Broekhoff/gliddon
Newley/blanchfield
Motum/Simmons/jois
Baynes/bairstow

resting...
No Exum
No Bogut
No ingles

Reply #522768 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The team you listed should be strong enough to account for NZ, Anonymous.

Reply #522769 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Do NZ have confirmation on Adams?

Reply #522771 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Throw Goulding in the mix too. Everyones forgotten about him.

Reply #522772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers will never win anything with Mills playing point, the guy cannot defend.

Reply #522784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB - how can you not be sold on Exum as a player yet? Are you sold in Bairstow who hasn't played a minute of NBA all season? Or what about an unproven Simmons? But I guess you'll be pretty happy to put a heap of NBL scrubs out there and watch the boomers play their usual average basketball.

Reply #522785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding cannot play d and has been sucking at the offensive end. No chance.

Bairstow is underrated in my opinion. The dude is in his first season and has a 3 year contract with the Bulls. No doubt he will get limited minutes next year. Have to understand that Chicago has arguably one of the best front courts in the nba with depth. gasol, Noah, mirotic and Gibson. It will take time...

If Ogilvy is fit.
I'd have... As the front court for the qualifiers.

6'10 Bairstow 4-5/6'10 motum 4/6'9 knight 4-5
6'10 Baynes 5-4/6'11 Ogilvy 5

Along with
Mills 2-1, delly 1-2, broekhoff 2-3, Newley 3-2, Simmons 3-4, blanchfield 3, gliddon 2-1.

Bogut/ingles/exum resting
Maric, jawai and Anderson are all done at international level Imo.

Reply #522787 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Exum is extremely inconsistent. I would have him playing spot minutes, and some defensive assignments. Sure, he can get his 3 going sometimes... but he cant be relied on (yet) on offence, and with what his strength is meant to be (penetration) to give him big minutes in a very important series.

Reply #522789 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"GWB - how can you not be sold on Exum as a player yet? Are you sold in Bairstow who hasn't played a minute of NBA all season? Or what about an unproven Simmons? But I guess you'll be pretty happy to put a heap of NBL scrubs out there and watch the boomers play their usual average basketball."

Quality response, GWB's team had two NBL players in it. Have you actually got a comment on what Exum is doing that means GWB should be sold on Exum as an international player yet?

Reply #522790 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If I am going to pick a team, I prize experience over potential. Dante Exum is in my Boomers team, so is Simmons. But they are not locks. They have to fight for their spot just like 7 of the 12 other players would have to. Exum hasn't done anything other than 'exist' in the NBA that makes him a better inclusion RIGHT NOW then a Gliddon or a Blanchfield. Simmons is yet to prove himself against men, but I think anyone can see where this kid is going. Once again, he is 12th man, in my team, but by no means would the position be handed on him by name alone.. these are just projections.

Lets have a look at what Exum has done so far in the NBA. He has become a half decent defender, a half decent passer, has an adequate 3 point shot. BUT, he is yet to utilise his ability to get to the basket. He plays FAR too timid. And he does not cope well with contact. So for all of his upside, right now he is a 19 year old kid who is a liability at this level. He is not a starter, He is not a 6th man, he is somewhere in the 10-12 range on this team. This is a 2 game series that matters.... this isnt an 82 game NBA season.

Reply #522792 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Exum is a 19 year old in the NBA. I expected him to take his lumps and have a rough first season or two. That's to be expected. And having said that, he hasn't set the world on fire. He is going to get a little while to figure it out, but he hasn't solidified himself as an NBA player like some other rookies have. Exums future could end up being in Europe or NBL for all we know at the moment. I certainly haven't seen anything since his U19 world champs to make me think the kid was anything special. This isn't hating, this is just true. He is going to get a few seasons to figure things out... and we obviously can only expect so much from a kid. But he has not solidified or proved himself in the NBA (yet) he has not proved himself as an international player (yet)... All he has done is merely not embarrass himself in the NBA. I think you would find, there are a lot of NBL players if given his opportunity who wouldnt embarrass themselves in the NBA either. He has potential, I like the kid, but has he proven anything? Not yet, No. So I am not sold on him as a player at international level yet... and I doubt the Jazz fans are sold on him as an NBA player yet. We will see in 2 - 3 years time whether he is boom or bust. But right now, he makes my boomers spot in 10th place on the bench playing spot minutes for defensive assignments and the occasional spot 3 until he learns to actually do what he is made to do, and take the ball to the ring.

Reply #522793 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

"I'm quite philosophical about this.
I don't know how you can not want to represent your country, regardless of how tired you are."

MACDUB: unquestioned patriotism and loyalty to a cause such as this pretty much the exact opposite of a philosophical approach.

Central to thinking philosophically, is awareness of existing preconceptions and taken for granted patterns of thinking such as it being 'un-Australian' if you don't represent your country at every opportunity provided.

Reply #522801 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Has been separated from girlfriend/fiancé for several years whilst overseas playing and she with netball . Easy to see this is an extended honeymoon and settling into new house in SA till he returns to Utah training. End of story.

Reply #522803 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The reasons behind Ingles' decision are perfectly understandable, he's fronted up year after year for the Boomers and after a few years mostly sitting in Europe he's had quite a load in the NBA this year.

As for Goulding, I think he was the leading scorer in the ACB over a stretch mid-season, he was on fire, but he has been ice cold for quite a while now. Might be good news for Melbourne?

Reply #522804 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Some people have unrealistic expectations. This is joes first season in the NBA.. the workload takes some getting use to. He needs a break, and it isnt a big tournament year. He has been solid for us, pull your heads out of your asses.

Reply #522808 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's had 60-game seasons in Europe he just hasn't played as much over there. I think we can cover Ingles in the backcourt as long as Mills is playing.

Reply #522810 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Mills is the deciding factor for me. I can't see NZ containing Mills for 2 games, and when he gets going he opens things up for everyone else. I also find Broekhoff to be especially important. He is by far our best outside shooter. I am sure we will have a few of our better bigs in. Does anyone know Adams status for the series? Without Adams I can't see NZ beating us.

Reply #522816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see any of the nba guys playing in this series
Not even adams
It will be second string teams as usual

Reply #522820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow may be the only NBA player in qualifiers imo.
Bogut and Ingles won't play, Exum could be rested or have summer league.
Mills and Baynes could also be rested and if Delly is still playing in June he could sit out too.
Would need a few of our top Euro based players to be available. Would be a great opportunity for the likes of Greenwood, Jois and Blanchfield to impress.

Reply #522832 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

San Antonio has never stopped its players playing internationally before. I dont expect that Mills and Baynes will sit out unless there is injury. I don't think Exum is a make or break player on the team anyways.

Reply #522836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the Spurs ask Ginobili not to play for Argentina on condition of a new deal?

Reply #522840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754