LC
Years ago

Mitch McCarron: D2 National Player of the Year

Queenslander Mitch McCarron has capped off an outstanding year and collegiate career by being named by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) NCAA Division II National Player of the Year.

NCAA Men: McCarron named National Player of the Year

10 years earlier, Mark Worthington earned the same honour.

A definite pro career beckons for McCarron. Link also includes a nice highlight reel of his career.

Topic #36823 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Nice one LC. Great effort from Mitch, would make a very handy signing should the Bullets somehow be resurrected in time for next season.

Reply #523357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's legit! Better than Gliddon IMO. Both D2 guys for a comparison.

Reply #523365 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Wow looks a lot more athletic then I was expecting.
Dunking over and through players, nice blocks for a 6'3" guard.

Do you know if he was ever offered the chance to transfer to a Div 1 college team?

Should be able to slot straight into a NBL team or go to Europe. NBDL or NBA summer league would also be an option.

Just going on stats and a highlight video obviously but appears to have very good shooting and athleticism.

Reply #523371 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Former U19 Australian representative.

Had to sit out his first year of college due to NCAA transfer regulations impacting him.

Metro State is one of the top 10 teams in D2 and would beat most low-level D1 teams.

Reply #523374 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

McCarron on choosing Metro State:

"I chose Metro State because of my Under 19 Australian team coach Damien Cotter, who is good friends with Coach Clark," said McCarron.

"I trusted his advice to take Coach's offer of a scholarship and haven’t looked back since.”

Reply #523375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good accolade for Mitch. Will be interesting to see how all the PG's from the Aussie U19 team a few years ago now, will fare as Pro's seeing as McCarron was really the 5th guard option on that team

(1) Hugh Greenwood - solid college career, but didn't dominate in his senior year. Probably NBL bound
(2) Iggy Hadziomerovic - solid college career, but was basically told not to shoot the ball and averaged okay numbers. Probably NBL bound (slight Euro chance)
(3) Jackson Alridge - minutes diminished each year to basically become a non-factor on a NCAA tourney team. Big question mark?
(4) Mitch Norton - has become a solid role players in the NBL
(5) Mitch McCarron - D2 player of the year. Probably NBL bound

Reply #523388 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Do DivII players get rated for the NBA draft?

Reply #523401 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just shows you how going to a D2 program is sometimes better (or maybe "mostly better") than going to a D1 program.

Jackson Aldridge is obviously the classic example. I could imagine that would have been a tough four years for him up at Butler - credit to the kid for sticking it out I suppose.

McCarron is such a great guy - really nice and humble, hard-worker. Personally, I rate him over Greenwood. Greenwood ran the point a lot at college and played a bit of combo guard - he didn't really have the handle, PG skills nor did he have the deadly shot to excel. He was a bit of a halfway player at college. His shooting %'s weren't great - 38% FG, 34% 3P and 68% FT.

Greenwood will be snapped up by the NBL - but I could only ever see him as a Gliddon type.

I can see McCarron as a Goulding and beyond.

Reply #523407 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

He'll end up in Sydney under Cotter. Has ties and Sydney need a pg.

Reply #523424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tornado, that's just assumption

Reply #523431 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon, yes, that is just my opinion.

Reply #523434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

really like his style of play.

if he can play the point guard position i think in time he will be an improvement on Martin & Gibson in that 3rd spot backup.

in regards to the earlier post...
(1) Hugh Greenwood
(2) Iggy Hadziomerovic
(3) Jackson Alridge -
(4) Mitch Norton -
(5) Mitch McCarron

this group also had
Jackson Hussey
Corban Wroe

a lot of guards came through the AIS in that group

Reply #523435 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hadziomerovic has a dual passport so could play as a local in Europe.

Reply #523442 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Impressive highlights.

Would he be any chance of summer league/ working out with teams etc.

Or is the standard of DIv2 just too low?

Reply #523478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will he be at boomers camp?

Reply #523488 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It would be hard not to invite McCarron to camp at least.

I think he is going to do really well at the next level.

Reply #523660 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The likes of Worthington, Ben Madgen, David Barlow, Jesse Wagstaff and Luke Kendall all went to D2 schools and at one time or another pulled on a Boomers jersey.

Reply #523726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754