Anonymous
Years ago

NBA links developing says NBL Chairman

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nba-links-developing-says-nbl-chairman-20150401-1md5lq.html

Topic #36831 | Report this topic

Baller#3  
Years ago

Would be good to forge some sort of partnership to get an NBL all-star team in the summer league I reckon.

Make it the top 10 guys under 25 year old or something get a spot.

Reply #523531 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Not really sure why the NBA would care, as I am sure they are pushing the NBA teams to use the NBDl for player development.

But if they can sort something out it would be good to get some management tips at least :)

Reply #523533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL would probably be the cheapest league to invest in relative to its strength of players? Not relative to its audience though I imagine.

Reply #523534 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Translation: "We've got no idea how to develop our own league but hopefully we can cash in on the popularity of the NBA in this country."

Reply #523535 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac. The NBDL really doesn't teach players to play in a system either.

If Only Australia was geographically where Canada is now....maybe one day.

Reply #523568 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Canada has their own NBL. Going by a newsfeed I get in which their news is tangled up with ours plus Namibia Breweries Limited, basketball in Canada is just as precarious with some of their teams as we are with some of ours.

I just don't see why we have to pin hopes on pie in the sky options which are completely reliant on a third party (NBA, TV deal, Asian leagues) when we could reform what we do have and can control. I mean, I know why stakeholders make their selfish decisions, but they need to be following independent recommendations for the good of the league and sport.

Reply #523597 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

> If Only Australia was geographically where Canada is now....maybe one day.

Maybe one day, but plate tectonics is a painfully slow process so definitely don't hold your breath

Reply #523608 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Posted this idea on here about 4 years ago...am sure someone else posted in before me. It's not exactly novel.

The NBL, if done right, could essentially be the NBA's "overseas" D-League.

Beneficial to both Australian basketball (the best players will potentially want to stay in Australia to be under the NBA spotlight, the standard of the league improves, professional bbal facilities get a bonus) and to aspiring Americans / NBA development players (better pay than D-League, similar culture, no language barrier etc).

Reply #523760 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754